PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Castro tone out of a VOX AD30VT (or Epiphone Valve models)?

Bribak
February 27th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Hello all,

First post here from a new member. I've been researching amps for the last two weeks trying to find the best home, non-gig, practice amp that I can find to deliver up my "ideal holy grail" tone at bedroom volume levels. I would really appreciate it if some of you Vox ADxxVT owners would take a listen to this sound sample over on Amazon.com and tell me whether this tone can be obtained from these Vox amps.

Here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000N9P/sr=8-9/qid=1141095255/ref=pd_bbs_9/103-0876008-5843008?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Please click on the link and listen to "Can't Quit The Blues" from Tommy's EXCEPTION TO THE RULE CD.

Tommy Castro's tone on this tune (and many other tunes on his recordings) just plain DOES IT for me. I mean...unbelievable...deep inside on some visceral level. An even better example is his intro to "Suitcase Full of Blues" from his CANT KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN CD. Unfortunately, the Amazon.com clip of that tune doesn't include the intro. But if you listen to this here clip (if you don't have the CAN'T KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN CD) you'll still get an idea of what I'm after.

So far, I haven't been able to find it on my current gear - MIM Deluxe Fat Strat (Tex Mex Pickups), Fender 65 Princeton DSP (solid state amp). Maybe (probably) it's me and not the gear. I am working mainly out of the neck pup, and I am also experimenting with a Digitech Bad Monkey.

Can I get that "sizzling, frying, honking, crunching" yet still warm sound out of these Vox amps? Is it possible in an amp without all tubes? For the longest time I was leaning towards a small tube amp like the Epiphone Valve JR. or Standard...or even the Fender Blues JR. But I am concerned that I won't be able to use these at high enough volumes to find their "sweet spots". Most of my practicing will be done later at night with my family sleeping two levels above.

I realize this stuff is hard to describe. I'm beginning to think that maybe the key factor here is the "different" way that a tube starts to distort when you push it. Can a solid state amp like the Vox capture that kind of frying distortion/overdrive.

Anyway, any help you guys/gals could give me will be appreciated. I feel like if I could find tone like that...man...I would be happy even just droning the same notes over and over. I love the music too...but...Ohh Man...that tone.

Thanks, Brian

Tim
February 28th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Hi Brain and welcome the Fret Net. This is a good form to be a member of. There are plenty of talented guitarist and musicians that belong to the Fret Net.

I consider myself a newbie to the guitar world and I still in a quest for knowledge and ways to increase my playing skills. I have asked many questions on this forum and received tons of answers, advice and individual preference from the members.

As far as being told how to emulate someone else’s tone and style I do not think you will get a full answer. I have found (with the help of members) that it’s just not the amp or the guitar or the foot pedals that make the player. Most of the sound and tone of the very good players come from the hands (both hands). I remember reading a post here on the forum in which someone wrote that Eric Clapton can pick up any guitar and use any amp using whatever pedal is available and still sound like Eric Clapton. The tone is in his fingers.

Now how do you find that special tone you may ask? I’m still trying to figure that one out. I have been told to listen to the music over and over countlessly. Then play along with it. Eventually it will come out.

Good luck in the hunt.

Bribak
February 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the comments. I have read what you say enough times to believe that it must be true that most of "tone" does come from the player himself. I guess I am just looking for someone to tell me that the Vox AD30VT amp has the "potential" to get that kind of tone...as long as the player is giving it the proper "fuel" to do so.

I have read a lot about these amps saying that they are really good at capturing the "quality" of the tube sound, but I have not read too many things saying that they are really ideally suited for the SRV...Chris Duarte...Tommy Castro type of Fender Strat overdriven blues sound - which is mostly what I am looking for.

The variable wattage control on these amps is what really has me looking hard at them. I like the idea of being able to get the best possible tone even at lower volumes. I am very close to picking one up and seeing if I can't find what I'm looking for in it.

Again, I appreciate your comments.
Take care, Brian

Robert
February 28th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Brian, you can get quite close with the Vox AD amps. Did you see my video clips on my website? I don't play so much Strat, but my '51 is quite Stratish sounding in some pickup positions.

Welcome to our gang of string benders!

Bribak
March 1st, 2006, 09:16 PM
Robert,

I checked out some of your video clips, and I'm very encouraged by what I hear. Do you consider the overdrive tones you're getting from your Vox to be very "tubelike" in the way they start to breakup/distort/crunch? If so, are you able to get those tones at fairly low volume? What settings (and amp model choice) do you feel are critical when striving for that Tommy Castro kind of overdriven tone? I like that slightly ragged edge to the overdriven tone ( like the sound of paper tearing :) )

Thanks for your comments and for pointing me to your clips!

Brian