PDA

View Full Version : Medeski, Martin & Wood

R_of_G
October 8th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Medeski, Martin & Wood are coming to play near me, and the best part is the price... free. They are headlining the annual Clearwater Jazz Holiday in Clearwater, Florida, which is a free 3-day event. In the past, we have gotten to see Branford Marsalis, Bela Fleck with Stanley Clarke and Jean-Luc Ponty, and The John Scofield Band all for free. This year it's MMW. Wanted to know if anyone else listens to these guys at all. They are heavyweights in the modern jazz scene.

Robert
October 8th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Yeah, they are really cool. I especially love when John Scofield plays with them.

R_of_G
October 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Yeah, they are really cool. I especially love when John Scofield plays with them.

Absolutely, the albums they have done with Sco are awesome. I also have a live show they did in 1999 at The Bowery Ballroom in NY, where they are joined by Marc Ribot on a couple of songs [one of them a cover of Horace Silver's "Psychedelic Sally" which almost tore the roof off of the building. Something you might want to pick up is "Piano Jazz." As you may know, legendary jazz pianist Marian McPartland has hosted a show called "Piano Jazz" on National Public Radio for many years, where she interviews and plays with a variety of jazz artists [mostly, but not always, piano players]. The episode she did with John Medeski has been released for sale as "John Medeski: Piano Jazz." The interviews are very interesting, but not nearly as much as the playing.

Spudman
October 8th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I love these guys. I have just about everything of theirs.

I worked with them and I didn't know who they were. I knew they were good but this was back when I was only aware of Blues and Hair Metal.

tot_Ou_tard
October 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM
H3ll yeah! One of my all time fav's. Great stuff!

I envy you RoG.

Have Fun!

R_of_G
October 8th, 2007, 06:32 PM
H3ll yeah! One of my all time fav's. Great stuff!

I envy you RoG.

Have Fun!

They are a band that allows/has allowed taping, so few, if any, have "everything" of theirs :) though I do have a pretty decent collection of their live stuff [esp like the 97 acoustic tour]. This will not be the first time I see them [nor the last hopefully] but they don't disappoint. I'll let you guys know how the show was afterwards.