PDA

View Full Version : Limited Edition Stratocaster with Direct-Mount Pickups

jasongins
October 8th, 2007, 12:49 PM
So I finally got my first real Fender Stratocaster, though this one is a little different than most. It is a limited edition MIM standard strat with direct mount pickups, and no pickguard. I didn't really have enough together to buy a regular standard strat, but I saw this one on MF and was intrigued. They regularly have it for $349 (and still do), but I ordered this one as a blem at a time they were taking an additional 10% off blems. The net price was $268. When it arrived, I could see that it had been out of the box once and very carefully repacked, but I've gone over it carefully and cannot find anything else that would qualify it as a blem. It was very well set up out of the box and I've not had to make any adjustments. As a major bonus to me, it came through with a maple fretboard when the picture on MF and Music123 show rosewood. It feels great, sounds great, and I like the cream color knobs and pickup covers much more than I thought it would. It has one tone knob rather than two, and the volume knob is a little further from the bridge area than a regular standard strat. That suits me well because my clumsy knuckles would tend to hit the volume knob on the Squier strat I had. It also has a small 60th Anniversary coin on the back of the headstock.

Algonquin
October 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Very nice looking guitar you've got yourself. Black is a great looking finish, but you may want to keep the polish cloth close if it's anything like mine... it tends to show off the finger prints.

Hope you enjoy it for many, many years.

It's a keeper!

Cheers... :beer:

ted s
October 8th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Very nice indeed, I don't think I have ever seen one like that.

warren0728
October 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
sweeeeeet....once you go black...... :AOK:

ww

duhvoodooman
October 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Very nice axe, and a great deal!! Me, I'd swap the p'up covers and knobs for black (very cheap to do) and turn that bad boy into Darth Strat. Black is beautiful, baby!! :Dude:

warren0728
October 8th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I'd swap the p'up covers and knobs for black (very cheap to do) and turn that bad boy into Darth Strat. Black is beautiful, baby!!
that would be way awesome!! :AOK:

ww

stingx
October 8th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Beautiful looking guitar - great score! :beer:

I saw that model on Guitartrader and was very tempted to purchase it. Kinda wish I did after looking at your pictures. :AOK:

Spudman
October 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Score!

Is the body standard thickness?

jasongins
October 9th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I believe it is standard thickness, but I don't have another here to compare against.

Adrian30
October 9th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Congrats. A beatiful strat for a very reasonable amount of money. Sweeeeet!

M29
October 9th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Congrats jasongins, :AOK:

M29

Jampy
October 9th, 2007, 07:54 AM
That is a cool looking strat, I am sure you'll get many people thinking you built it yourself as that is a config we don't normally see, well at least me..

Love it !!

duhvoodooman
October 9th, 2007, 08:23 AM
A little black trim vs. white trim comparison, courtesy of the very nifty Kisikae Virtual Guitar Builder (http://www.usacustomguitars.com/virtualguitar.html):

jasongins
October 9th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Interesting alternative, but I think I am going to stick with the cream pickup covers and knobs. I don't want it to wind up looking too much like my black Fullerton ST4.

duhvoodooman
October 9th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Interesting alternative, but I think I am going to stick with the cream pickup covers and knobs. I don't want it to wind up looking too much like my black Fullerton ST4.
Ahhh, excellent point!! Yes, that would make the two guitars look an awful lot alike. Not a good idea, I agree.

Besides, your new Strat has that Gilmourish look (http://www.gilmourish.com/?page_id=66) to it! So go dish out some brain damage with it.... :Dude:

Strat Vader
September 25th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Hi everyone. Great forum.

Hey Jason...I too have one of these MIM Strats. Same thing happened for me, in terms of the picture showing a rosewood fingerboard, and receiving a maple fingerboard. I bet MF didn't get too many complaints about that snag. :D

Did you know there were only 250 of these made? Also, did yours come with a small brown pamphlet telling you it has the old 1950's "lacquer" paint job, instead of the modern-day polyurethane finish? Be advised these old-style finishes are quite vulnerable compared to the hard ones of today. Be careful not to use a silicone-based polish etc.

As your guitar ages the finish will begin to "dissolve" the way Gilmore's, Hendrix's, Jaco's instruments of the past did. Also I have a question for you. My primary instrument (I'm a pro and play for a living) is the new Fender American Standard, which is amazing in every way, not to mention the lightest Strat I've ever played. Question: Does your 60th Anniversary Deluxe Limited Edition MIM have extremely noisy pickup's? Mine are very powerful, but so noisy, I couldn't even record with it. I guess I'll swap them out for some high-end pup's soon. Wondering if yours had the same problem. I took it to a well-known luthier/set-up man in North Hollywood and he shielded the heck out of it...and still the noise. He said it was just a "super-hot" configuration, not a grounding problem.

The only thing I don't like about this guitar is the input jack being on the side of the guitar instead of the usual Strat input on the surface. Small thing, but I hate having the input jack jabbing me in the leg when seated.

If you ever get a chance, go to a store and try an American Standard. These are no more than two/three piece bodies, whereas the MIM's are usually five/seven piece...waaaaay heavier, but still a good and very interesting Strat. Anyway...congrats on your instrument and be well.

MAXIFUNK
May 29th, 2009, 12:22 PM
I have one of these 60th Anniversary Deluxe Limited Edition MIM on hold at a local Store here in socal for $385.00.
My question is "is it worth that price and is a good guitar for my 1st STRAT?

duhvoodooman
May 29th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I have one of these 60th Anniversary Deluxe Limited Edition MIM on hold at a local Store here in socal for $385.00.
My question is "is it worth that price and is a good guitar for my 1st STRAT?"
That seems like a good price, given that MIM Standard Strats sell for $549 since Fender raised all their prices for the 2009 model year. As far as "is it worth it?", only you can answer that. If you like the way that it plays and sounds, then it probably is!

I assume this is a new guitar?

MAXIFUNK
May 29th, 2009, 05:28 PM
That seems like a good price, given that MIM Standard Strats sell for $549 since Fender raised all their prices for the 2009 model year. As far as "is it worth it?", only you can answer that. If you like the way that it plays and sounds, then it probably is!

I assume this is a new guitar?

Thanks for answering.

Yes its new. Yeah your also right about is it worth it.
I was just wondering if anyone had this model and would buy it again or recommend it. Nothing like hearing what someone who owns one thinks.

MAXIFUNK
July 3rd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Well I picked this axe up on Wednesday.

So, far I am really digging this axe, the neck is excellent smooth edges.
I have not discovered any bad frets so far either.
This is one heavy strat too. I am no strat expert but the pickups have lots of great tones and are not as noisy as i thought they were sounds great through my Line 6 Flextone III.

Pic to come soon.

Maxi.....................:rockon:

ibanezjunkie
July 3rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
i looked at the pictures before i read your post

it took me about 5 minutes to realise there was no pickguard :rotflmao:

MAXIFUNK
July 28th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Ok quick question about this guitar.
My guitar does not noise cancel in position 2.
If you own this guitar does your do that as well?
Fender had no information at all on this series of guitar.

Maxi.................................

MAXIFUNK
December 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Better Late than never

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4157673902/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4156913719/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4157674550/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4157674858/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42960307@N08/4157675168/

gargemil
May 11th, 2015, 12:05 AM
Ok quick question about this guitar.
My guitar does not noise cancel in position 2.
If you own this guitar does your do that as well?
Fender had no information at all on this series of guitar.

Maxi.................................

Mine does quiet down in the 2 and 4 positions. In the odd positions (1, 3 and 5) it can get quite noisy especially in buildings with fluorescent lighting.