PDA

View Full Version : Uria heap

snarph
October 8th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Anybody old enough to remember these guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4o--q6xuvs

Spudman
October 8th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Anybody old enough to remember these guys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4o--q6xuvs

I remember them and I'm also old enough to know that the correct spelling is Uriah Heep.;)

I won a radio contest for movie tickets just last week and the answer was "Easy Livin - Uriah Heep."

Ken Hensley has a new album out and it is really good. Ken is no longer with the band though. It's a rock opera called "Blood On The Highway" and it tells the story of a rock star. It's very good. Glenn Hughes and Jorn Lande are just a couple of the singers. It's straight ahead RnR and very well put together.

duhvoodooman
October 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM
If you start any question with the phrase "Anybody old enough....?", chances are, I am. Yes, I remember them fairly well, particularly Easy Livin', their only (AFAIK) hit here in the US. The original lead singer had quite a good voice, I thought. The guitarist & organist were quite good, too, but I always found their material to be rather overwrought, for want of a better term.

BTW, Uriah Heep was a Dickens character in David Copperfield....

snarph
October 8th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I remember them and I'm also old enough to know that the correct spelling is Uriah Heep.;)

I won a radio contest for movie tickets just last week and the answer was "Easy Livin - Uriah Heep."

Ken Hensley has a new album out and it is really good. Ken is no longer with the band though. It's a rock opera called "Blood On The Highway" and it tells the story of a rock star. It's very good. Glenn Hughes and Jorn Lande are just a couple of the singers. It's straight ahead RnR and very well put together.

Hey thats what youtube said as well "Uriah Heep" I remember spelling tests every week but never got it right let me say thank you ever so much for the correction

snarph
October 8th, 2007, 07:51 PM
If you start any question with the phrase "Anybody old enough....?", chances are, I am. Yes, I remember them fairly well, particularly Easy Livin', their only (AFAIK) hit here in the US. The original lead singer had quite a good voice, I thought. The guitarist & organist were quite good, too, but I always found their material to be rather overwrought, for want of a better term.

Yea I just turned 56 in august going 19 except when I first wake up and try to figure who the hell that old man is in the mirror

duhvoodooman
October 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Yea I just turned 56 in august going 19 except when I first wake up and try to figure who the hell that old man is in the mirror
Ain't that the truth! ;) I got 6 months on you, but we're pretty close. :beer:

Spudman
October 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM
You guys should rejoice. All the guys in Uriah Heep are older than you are.:D

tunghaichuan
October 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Sure I remember them. I saw them when they opened for Black Sabbath back in 1981. Don't remember much about their set, other than it was loud :)

tung

chordshredder
October 8th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I liked Stealin and Lady in Black. I found most of their stuff overcooked and off beat. l listened to this band a lot more. They started out as Free then became Bad Company.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqGOVWeD_Mc

kiteman
October 9th, 2007, 05:29 AM
I played one of their songs, Gypsy. :)

Bloozcat
October 9th, 2007, 06:26 AM
I remember them well.

Look At Yourself, was my favorite Uriah Heep album. Back in the days of vinyl, inside the record jacket was a shiny piece of foil that distorted your image like a bad fun house mirror.

I don't know what ever happened to that LP, but I did replace it with a CD version a few years ago, along with Demons And Wizards.

It's funny how events in our lives - especially when we were younger - are often captured in the lyrics of a song from the day. I first came to Florida when I was 19, leaving a girlfriend in New Jersey at the time. After several months here in Florida, I went back to New Jersey for this girl....big mistake. After a miserable winter in NJ I made plans to come back to Florida at summers end. The song I Wanna Be Free, was my anthem throughout that time, particularly these first two verses.

I Wanna Be Free

As I wake up every day with no new songs to play
Feeling like I ought to pack my bag and run
My imagination flies to some other sunny skies
Where I felt so good and everything was done
And my time was my own, and my heart felt so free. Come On!

I don't mind a little rain, but it doesn't seem the same
When the clouds shut out your beauty from my eyes
There's a storm inside my head and I know it doesn't lead
To a clearer a day when nobody will cry
I can't stand here alone, and I need to be free... Free!

Bloozcat
October 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Ain't that the truth! ;) I got 6 months on you, but we're pretty close. :beer:

Geez...you and snarph make me feel like a youngster at 54 DVM...:rotflmao:

Tim
October 9th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I'm a little before their time. They were not on the top of my list way back n the 70s. Their voices just did not harmonize very well. Now the photos on "Lady in Black" make it worth while to listen too on YouTube.

I hope I am not the oldest on this forum. I'm 58 & 7 months.

marnold
October 9th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Sure it wasn't from David Coperfield with one "P" by Edmund Wells?

Sorry about the extremely obscure Monty Python reference (http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/bookshop.asp).

tunghaichuan
October 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM
:D
Sure it wasn't from David Coperfield with one "P" by Edmund Wells?

Sorry about the extremely obscure Monty Python reference (http://www.intriguing.com/mp/_scripts/bookshop.asp).

I remember that skit well, I have it on CD somewhere. :D

tung

Mark
October 9th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Old enough???? I just turned 53 yesterday and now when I fart dust comes out!:puke: Me and my pet dinosaur used listen to them boys on the ole 8 track. Good band you know I have often wondered why they dont get much play on the "classic rock" stations.

R_of_G
October 9th, 2007, 01:41 PM
The band Uriah Heep has been referenced in a couple of episodes of The Simpsons. In the episode where Lisa teaches Mr. Burns how to recylce, they bring their recycling haul to a little shack run by an aging hippie to trade in their recyclables for cash. The shack is called "Uriah's Heap." When he's leaving Mr. Burns tells the proprietor to "shine on you crazy diamond," to which the proprietor tells him "sounds like you're livin' in the past man. Contemporize!" I always associate Uriah Heep with that dude.

Spudman
October 9th, 2007, 02:57 PM
The Magicians Birthday album finds it's way into my CD player about every other month and I just loved Abominog. Sadly the original singer David Byron had passed away by this time yet the band really came together to deliver a great hard rock album. On The Rebound, a Russ Ballard cover, has always stuck in my head. I think they did it with good originality and I find the production to be first rate...and I listen to this on vinyl (you know...a record thingy with a tiny hole in the middle).

Spudman
October 9th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Looks like us fans have something to look forward to.

August 23 2007

Message from Uriah Heep manager, Simon Porter:

As a result of the purchase of Sanctuary Records by Universal Records, we have reluctantly taken the decision to postpone the September release of the forthcoming Uriah Heep album 'WAKE THE SLEEPER'. The album is now most likely to be released in late January of next year and we are currently discussing release options with Sanctuary / Universal. We know that fans will be bitterly disappointed as indeed the band are by this news, but it would be commercial suicide to release such an important album for the band during a transitional takeover period between record labels. Quite simply, it would be a case of the album being released just for the sake of it without any cohesive promotion or marketing campaign in order to give the album the best shot that it richly deserves. Releasing later in the year would additionally mean that we would be fighting for racking space on the shelves with all the major Christmas releases.

Quite apart from being the first new Heep studio album in a decade (as it will be in 2008) we truly believe that 'Wake The Sleeper' is one of the band's Top Three albums ever and hope that fans understand this decision. Believe me, it will ultimately be worth the wait!

In the meantime, we can reveal the final track listing to be as follows:

Wake The Sleeper
Overload
Tears Of The World
Light of a Thousand Stars
Heaven’s Rain
Book Of Lies
What Kind of God
Ghost Of The Ocean
Angels Walk With You
Shadow
War Child We all thank you for your continued support and look forward to reawakening the sleeping giant in 2008!

Best regards

Simon Porter

Spudman
October 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Good sounds on the myspace page.
http://www.myspace.com/uheep

Toaster
October 11th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Sweet Lorraine, let the party carry on
You and I will swim the sea...

Where's my old moog synthesizer?
Dave