PDA

View Full Version : Facebook!

SuperSwede
October 9th, 2007, 07:04 AM
So who has a facebook profile? My wife _convinced_ me to join, and its pretty fun. We really should have a fretnet group there, so join up and add me ( search for : calle nordqvist ).

Robert
October 9th, 2007, 07:19 AM
I created a group and invited a few fretters. Search for Robert Renman to find me on there.

SuperSwede
October 9th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Yeah I saw that.. join up everybody!

Jampy
October 9th, 2007, 08:22 AM
Found you Robert and found the group, since your the admin on the FB group is there a way to add our fret user names to our real names ??

I guess it would make it easier to know whom we are talking to..

Just a thought..

sunvalleylaw
October 9th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I am on! Will add a photo later.

Tone2TheBone
October 9th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Gimme a shout guys.. Ted Shiskoski

A shoat oat Ted? heh I signed up but I'll have to verify the link from home. Don't do anything too fun till I get there. :pancake

ted s
October 9th, 2007, 10:11 AM
ya, I can't get there from work either.

just strum
October 9th, 2007, 10:40 AM
OK, someone has to come along with this post, so let it be me.

What are you guys talking about?

SuperSwede
October 9th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Its a global phenomenon! You can spend lots of hours doing absolutely nothing, find long lost friends & future ones as well.

www.facebook.com

Robert
October 9th, 2007, 11:19 AM
It sure doesn't beat our forum though for us guitar aficionados, I hope?!

Please don't abandon us for Facebook! :)

ted s
October 9th, 2007, 11:54 AM

never

SuperSwede
October 9th, 2007, 01:32 PM
No way.. this is THE place to be if you have a little extra cash and a wife that doesnt check the bank book too often ;-)

Tone2TheBone
October 9th, 2007, 01:35 PM
No way.. this is THE place to be if you have a little extra cash and a wife that doesnt check the bank book too often ;-)

Can you say...Pay Pal? ;)

SuperSwede
October 9th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Can you say...Pay Pal? ;)

Ok: Pay Pal

:D

Robert
October 9th, 2007, 01:51 PM

What do you mean by this?

Tone2TheBone
October 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM
He means people here fall victim to G.A.S.

sunvalleylaw
October 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Nah, not possible. I joined but likely will not be able to keep up with facebook all the time. My internet "time waisting" is mostly done here. :pancake :beer:

Brian Krashpad
October 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm on facebook as Brian Krashpad, same as everywhere!

Algonquin
October 9th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Its a global phenomenon! You can spend lots of hours doing absolutely nothing, find long lost friends & future ones as well.

www.facebook.com

Thanks for posting this SuperSwede!

I actually saw an old friend on there from Kindergarden that I haven't seen in well over 20 years.

You made my day.

Thank you.

warren0728
October 9th, 2007, 06:36 PM
anybody worried about putting all your info out there....looks like you have to sign up to look around....i'm on the fence on this one

ww

just strum
October 9th, 2007, 07:05 PM
anybody worried about putting all your info out there....looks like you have to sign up to look around....i'm on the fence on this one

ww

Warren, I'm with you on this - not real keen at putting too much info out there. What I usually do in cases like this is use all of Shiners personal info.

Robert, I just got here and did a lot of promoting for this place - I'm sticking around until I get the boot.

duhvoodooman
October 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Not to worry, guys. By default, only other Facebook members that you have personally confirmed as "friends" can see that info. My daughter's been on it for about a year. As an overly protective father, I wouldn't allow it if it wasn't secure....

Algonquin
October 9th, 2007, 08:15 PM
:AOK:
Not to worry, guys. By default, only other Facebook members that you have personally confirmed as "friends" can see that info. My daughter's been on it for about a year. As an overly protective father, I wouldn't allow it if it wasn't secure....

I believe DVM is right on the money here. It appears you can display, or hide as much info to the general public as you wish. Maybe the biggest risk you're taking is emberrassing your kids... :rotflmao:

I don't think it was suggested in any way, shape or form to abandon this site whatsoever for another... It was just a friendly post by a respected member of this forum.

Robert has made a group within Facebook called 'Guitar players who love TheFret.net', so in some small way you are promoting this site.

It appears to be very interesting, but doesn't compare to the information sharing that goes on here. Plus, this site (Thefret.net) has some good moderators keeping it all on the up and up... Good job Folks! :AOK:

ted s
October 9th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Agreed, I don't think it would even be easily do-able to share the information that we do anywhere else except in this forum enviroment.

warren0728
October 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM
gonna have to give it some thought....thought it sounded like a cool way to find old friends but it sounds like they would have to know i was looking for them and then give me permission to "find" them or am i missing something...

ww

Algonquin
October 9th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Absolutely... you should always consider carefully what you post on the Net. I've read some folks wouldn't even post pics of their Goldfish... and I can't say I blame them. The Net can be wonderful, but it can also be less than that.

I found an old friend today that I haven't been in contact with in 20 years... and I'm feeling pretty good about that right now.

I think one of the good 'Safeguards' that site has, is that you have to accept a 'Friend' request from a user prior to them seeing your stats, and you are in control of what 'Stats' you want the public to see.

If you wish to try it out and don't want to offend anyone, join and add me as a friend within the 'Guitar players who love the Fret.net' section to see if it's something you are comfortable with. If it isn't... you are welcome to delete the 'friend' invite, and since I know your concerns, wouldn't feel slighted in the least.

A few other Fretters have joined... but 'Facebook' is not a substitute for the Fret.

Sincerely,

David

SuperSwede
October 10th, 2007, 12:32 AM
What do you mean by this?

That this site makes me want to buy more guitar related stuff than I really need :)

I just wanted to let people here know that facebook is a fantastic tool for finding old friends, and keeping in touch with all your friends. Not all friends are interested in guitars and end up here, so I see no problems with these kind of threads?

Robert
October 10th, 2007, 07:15 AM
No problemo mate. It's a phenomenon, Facebook. I recently read an article in Wired about how it got started and how it evolved. Very interesting. The amount of people that now are signing up every day is insane.

marnold
October 10th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Well, I tried to do the sign-up thing last night, but I never got a confirmation email. Oh well.

Tone2TheBone
October 10th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Sounds like how myspace works. You can elect to only have friends and family view your pages that's how I have mine set up.

Jampy
October 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Made another club
http://clubs.yuwie.com/thefret/

Not trying to compete but just hoping to spread the word any way we can to help this great site grow..

feel free to check it out..

Thanks

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2008, 07:51 AM
So I am still having fun with this page. Nice way to keep in touch with people Who else is still enjoying it? Who here is a member? With our screen names here, I was thinking I may have missed some people over there.

I still have a myspace page, but I must say I communicate with people much more on facebook.

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Well nobody hardly posts anything on Robert's friends who love the Fret page. I think Dave and I are the only ones who put up silly comments here and there. And Bob never looks at his Facebook.

warren0728
November 18th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Well nobody hardly posts anything on Robert's friends who love the Fret page. I think Dave and I are the only ones who put up silly comments here and there. And Bob never looks at his Facebook.
i keep forgetting about the fret page on facebook....i promise to post something silly on there this afternoon! :pancake: :beer:

marnold
November 18th, 2008, 09:45 AM
There's a Fret page on Facebook?!? Link?

warren0728
November 18th, 2008, 10:38 AM
There's a Fret page on Facebook?!? Link?
hey rev....are you on facebook?

marnold
November 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM
hey rev....are you on facebook?
Werd. Er, I mean, yes.

sunvalleylaw
November 18th, 2008, 12:39 PM

I put up silly comments on your guys' pages, but I also forget about the fret lovers page. The new format tends to cause me to forget about the groups I belong to, and focus more on the individuals instead. Sorry Rob, I'll try to put something up there now and again. :beer:

warren0728
November 18th, 2008, 01:15 PM
Werd. Er, I mean, yes.
what's your name on facebook i'll send you a friend request....

Tone2TheBone
November 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I wanna be friends wit da Rev too.

SuperSwede
November 20th, 2008, 01:51 AM
I wanna be friends wit da Rev too.

Yeah, you always need to have a priest/pastor available (especially a heavy metal beer brewing pastor)

Mr Grumpy
August 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
After I long break from facebook ive just gone back on and joined out happy band. See how long before I get fed up this time

just strum
August 1st, 2009, 12:24 PM
Almost two years later I still have not gone on facebook. I just picked up my daughter and she was telling me something about how my wife and her were arguing on facebook while she was at band camp. Something about my wife taking her off her friends list??????

Remaining clueless.:confused:

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go churn butter.