PDA

View Full Version : New forum up! (plus some tips)

Robert
February 27th, 2006, 10:18 PM
The new forum is up - let's share some tips on playing!
My tip - always use a metronome or even better, a drum track when you practice something. Timing is so important in playing well, and if you use a beat to practice scales or technique to, the timing will improve as well.

Tone2TheBone
February 27th, 2006, 11:24 PM
This is going to be a really good forum Robert. My tip would be to pay attention to what both hands are doing while you play. Your fretboard hand is important but your picking/strumming hand is just as important if not more important. Pay real good attention to how you pick or even when you don't. You can create some sweet phrasing that will surprise you if you listen to and watch both hands.

Spudman
February 28th, 2006, 12:35 AM
I'm with you Robert...and welcome back.

The one thing that has done more for my playing is using a drum sequencer. I started with a Yamaha QY10 that you can get on Ebay now for $50. You can sequence all kinds of stuff in and with it. It is an amazing portable unit, but I digress...what I'm getting at is that it allowed me the ability to play with others better and locked my timing down so that now I don't get lost. The clock doesn't stop and you have to keep up. It also allows you to play ahead, behind and in the pocket which is great for style development.

The real joy of playing music is doing it with others and it can be a real handicap not to be able to lock in and keep up.

LOCK INTO A CLOCK...I vote for the drum machine. And you never have to drive across town to pick them up after their girlfriend throws them out.

Robert
February 28th, 2006, 08:58 AM
And there are a lot fewer bad jokes about a drum machine! :D

LOCK INTO A CLOCK...I vote for the drum machine. And you never have to drive across town to pick them up after their girlfriend throws them out.

warren0728
February 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM
My tip - always use a metronome or even better, a drum track when you practice something. Timing is so important in playing well, and if you use a beat to practice scales or technique to, the timing will improve as well.
i have a metronome but haven't used it yet. What do you normally set yours to (beats per minute, etc.)?

i also have some drum rhythms on my electric piano...hadn't thought of using those but i might try it.

thanks,
ww

Robert
February 28th, 2006, 08:48 PM
The BPM depends on your current technical skill. You can play a lick or figure at a slow tempo you are comfortable with. As you practice it and get more confident, you can increase the tempo a little, but pay attention to execution. You shouldn't sacrifice good timing for sloppy speed. Slow and accurate and with feeling is always better than fast and sloppy, in my opinion.

warren0728
March 1st, 2006, 08:06 AM
The BPM depends on your current technical skill.
i'm not sure i can set my metronome to 2 bpm :D

what would be a "normal" setting for a standard three chord blues tune?

ww

Tim
March 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM
i'm not sure i can set my metronome to 2 bpm :D

what would be a "normal" setting for a standard three chord blues tune?

ww

WW - Where did you get 2 bpm? That's pretty darn slow there. Once every 30 seconds. Even I can play at the speed. LOL!

I think a "normal" (what noraml is?) beat can be any where from 70 - 120 bpm. Some are slower ... some are faster.

I am at work right now, but I think the BUCU has the bpm (tempo) written above each song. Slow blues will most likely be down around 70 bpm.

marnold
March 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM
WW - Where did you get 2 bpm? That's pretty darn slow there.
Yeah, but he's playing 1/1,048,576th notes :)