PDA

View Full Version : Getting lost in a running race

Robert
October 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
On Monday I ran a race in Devon, just outside Edmonton. It was hilarious. Probably 90% of the runners got lost. Complete mass confusion. :reallymad:

The volunteers who were supposed to direct the runners had no clue what to do. I ended up in the wrong place completely. I figured maybe I was just unlucky, but I realized later that this happened to nearly every runner. They were sending people off in the wrong direction, at several places along the course.

Some kids had pulled up the signs that had put out the day before. As a race organizer, you need of course to check those signs in the morning before the race starts. Better yet, you put them out the morning of the race.

I kept asking the volunteers what to do as I was running, and everyone of them said "I don't know"! :Dude:

Some were upset, some demanded a refund, some were still lost when we left! I had to stop on the way out and talk to a guy who wondered what as going on - I told him he wasn't the only one being lost. He said he had run 35 marathons and many other races, and this was the worst he's ever seen. I'd agree to that.

Interesting day for sure! I would have won by 15 - 20 minutes today, but there were no winners at a day like this!

They also forgot to hand out the medals to the finishers. Later on they asked if I ran the half marathon so they could give me a medal. I wasn't sure what to answer! I said I sure intended to run the course, but I had no chance since they pointed me in the wrong direction. I got a finisher medal in the end anyway...

Jimi75
October 10th, 2007, 08:10 AM
Oh god! What a perfect example of misorganization and intentional KIDZ TERROR, mixing up the signs.

I would have been pretty p****d had I experienced this.

:reallymad:

JLefty
October 10th, 2007, 09:31 AM
That stinks!:messedup: sounds like "one of those days"

I would have gone looking for those kids!:saw:

Spudman
October 10th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Bummer and you were blazing too.

I had the same sort of thing happen to me in a mountain bike race. It is the longest running best attended race in the state. I was new to mountain biking and although I am a good climber I wasn't as good as the really good guys and summited in about 6th place. On the downhill I can really motor because of my motocross background and passed 4 guys. Then close to the finish I'm pushing my bike up a hill and I hear voices through the trees on my right on the other side of the fence and see a flash of a biker go whizzing by. I throw my bike over the fence, uttered some non repeatable phrases :reallymad: and found my way to the finish line to find out I was 10 place. (more non repeatable phrases):reallymad:
I discovered that the 3rd place guy also got lost and if I hadn't of got lost I would have placed 2nd in a very prestigious race. (more animal phrases)
The sign to turn through a gate in the fence had fallen down and was fixed just after people saw me go the wrong way. :reallymad:___ (fill in the blank)

So what I'm saying is that I know how you feel, but in my book you are still a winner and kick a$$. :AOK:

Tim
October 11th, 2007, 09:43 AM
It goes to show that it does not matter how to play the game ... just find the finish line.