PDA

View Full Version : Paul Thorn

Justaguyin_nc
October 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Paul Thorn is a Willie, Kris and Bob Dylan of today...
very good song story teller/writer...
Give you a reason to have an acoustic laying around with electrics..

NYiJlvnrKVQ

JCDBitRi36c

just strum
October 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I think you could sprinkle a little bit of Warren Zevon in there too. He has some good stuff. I have two of his CD's and a DVD sitting on the desk right next to me.

YerDugliness
October 12th, 2007, 09:53 PM
I, too, recently discovered Paul Thorn. Having grown up in the age of the troubador, I find his style particularly appealing, but you have to hear some of his other songs (like "Every Little Bit Hurts" or "Hammer and Nail") to realize he can :R and sing the blues, too. He's a very well rounded musician.

What his music on YouTube doesn't emphasize is the quality of musicians he has surrounded himself with. His bass player has a CMA award, his keyboard player is pretty much a technical genius, and his lead guitar player is, IMHO, perhaps one of the most gifted slide guitar players I've ever heard play. He manages to get that Les Paul to scream when it needs to, cry when he wants it to, and has a particularly unique ability to demonstrate what I call "elegant restraint".

The DVD is definitely worth the $$, but you can only get it from his website. It comes with a companion CD that has most of the music on the DVD, but also some extra songs.

I live near Houston, TX, and I missed him the only time I am aware that he played here. I'm retiriing soon, and plan on finding a tour date close enough to justify the drive. He seems to play the east coast and the northeast more than other places, but every now and then he gets out and about, so keep an eye out for him in your area.

Dugly :cool:

luvmyshiner
October 13th, 2007, 08:45 AM
The way Paul tells stories in his songs reminds me of another little known Texas singer/songwriter named Robert Earl Keen. Robert has kind of a cult following in Texas, but never achieved the national attention that his old college roommate enjoyed. Another story teller named Lyle Lovett.