PDA

View Full Version : GFS Lil' Killer Bridge pickup 17+K impedance

Duff
October 10th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Will this pickup swap right into my SX SST62 in place of the bridge pickup. I have a stop tail and want to get more gain because you can't raise up the bridge pickup enought to get a loud signal.

I'm figuring this will be a great pickup. Expecting it to come tomorrow and I will install it right away.

I'm wondering, because it is for wires, if I can just wire it for humbucker only and have it work with the middle and itself on the number 4 or 2 switch setting, whatever one that makes the bridge and middle work together.

Will this impedance difference be a problem. The vintage style bridge pickup is probably only about 6K. Will this blow out any of the other electronics in the guitar or will it be able to handle this extra impedance?

Thanks in advance,

Duff

marnold
October 10th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I'm wondering, because it is for wires, if I can just wire it for humbucker only and have it work with the middle and itself on the number 4 or 2 switch setting, whatever one that makes the bridge and middle work together.

Will this impedance difference be a problem. The vintage style bridge pickup is probably only about 6K. Will this blow out any of the other electronics in the guitar or will it be able to handle this extra impedance?
I'm not sure what you're asking about wiring. If you don't want to coil tap it, just solder the two other (non-ground, non-hot) leads together and wrap some electric tape or shrink tubing around them. Then solder the ground to the back of the volume pot and the hot to the lug that the old single coil was wired to.

The electronics in your guitar will be just fine. Those components are designed to carry voltages WAY beyond anything a pickup can put out.

Duff
January 25th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the info.

Late responding but it worked out great. Hot enough to compensate for not being able to raise the pickup up close enough to the strings. Worked fantastic.

Spudman
January 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Sometimes the hole is a little small for the pickup. You might have to file the hole a little in the pickguard.

Otherwise, I haven't had good experience with those pickups. I have one but for a Strat the Dimarzio FS1 is a much better sounding pickup. It's not as quiet as a rail pickup but it rocks. In fact Johnny Ramone used one 100% of the time in his Mosrite guitar.

Sblack
January 26th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Sometimes the hole is a little small for the pickup. You might have to file the hole a little in the pickguard.

Otherwise, I haven't had good experience with those pickups.
+1

I had a lil' killer (10K) in a homemade Strat once, and the pickguard required modifications to accomodate the larger-sized pickup. I used a rotary tool and skimmed a little around the pickup cavity to accomodate the extra girth.

The tone of that pickup was very lacking. I tried it in every position, with different heights, and in different guitars. All attempts were disappointing, though.

But tone is such a subjective thing. Best of luck, and I hope you like the tones.