PDA

View Full Version : Best wire gauge for speaker cabinet connections

Tone2TheBone
October 10th, 2007, 04:01 PM
My cable that connects my Marshall 4x12 cabinet to the amp is missing. Was pretty sure it was stout wire too. I have been using 16 gauge stranded speaker wire for my other speaker connections so I'm thinking this should be ok to make a new cable for my 4x12. What do you extension speaker cabinet guys use?

Spudman
October 10th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Sometimes I use a lamp cord with copper wire for short runs under 6 feet.

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2007, 08:30 AM
That would be about 12 gauge wire. I don't have any broken lamps around though.

Bloozcat
October 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
That would be about 12 gauge wire. I don't have any broken lamps around though.

Lamp cord is generally 16 ga., so it works well for speaker cabs. I never make the speaker cables longer than 6'-10' myself, but you could make them longer without problems.

You can go to Home Depot or Lowes and by 16 ga. wire by the foot. It's pretty cheap that way. Just add a couple of good Switchcraft jacks at each end, and you're good to go. I've got several that I made that way. Most are about 6' long.

Tim
October 11th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Hey Tone, I do not know the exact gage, but I do know the longer the length the heavier the gage. As long as it is not shielded wire, 16 gage should do the trick. After all you not pumping 220 volts through the wire. Here is a calculator for 24 volts: http://www.pelco.com/support/tools/wiregacalc.aspx

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Ok so my 16 gauge should work. Cool thanks guys. Thanks for the correction Blooz.