PDA

View Full Version : Binocular Owners

Tim
October 11th, 2007, 11:30 AM
This is in response to Tone's Flashlight post. How many Fretters use binoculars on a fairly daily basis? Yes, a telescope will fit into this category also. My wife and I took up bird watching back in June. We both purchased a pair of binoculars. Actually she bought one and I bought one. We really enjoy our new hobby and have spotted and logged several species of Florida birds.

I like Tone have taken it upon myself to become the neighborhood watchman. I can spot something wrong in the neighborhood a mile away (I am retired you know!). At first my neighbors thought I was a little strange walking around with binoculars around my neck. I guess they thought I was doing something perverted.:whatever:

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2007, 12:18 PM
We live out in the country so binocs are a must. The road's far from the house and neighbors are more than a stone throw away...more like hundreds of feet apart. I got cheap Bushnells nothing fancy. I spend more on the ammo. :)

Tim
October 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Hmmm! So your telling us that eyes don't count. If you hear or smell them you shoot. You country folk sure are unfriendly. If I ever come to visit you I will call you from down the road. You can come out and get me. LOL

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Hmmm! So your telling us that eyes don't count. If you hear or smell them you shoot. You country folk sure are unfriendly. If I ever come to visit you I will call you from down the road. You can come out and get me. LOL

Nah I can't shoot unless they've somehow made it past my doors. I'd be lookin' out for friends like you Tim you'd be alright. :beer:

M29
October 11th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I looked for quite some time and found an expensive (about 99.99) (thats inexpensive for binos) Leopuld Yosemity 6x30 that work well. I am always looking for them antlers. Ahh the call of the wild...

M29

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I looked for quite some time and found an expensive (about 99.99) (thats inexpensive for binos) Leopuld Yosemity 6x30 that work well. I am always looking for them antlers. Ahh the call of the wild...

M29

I might have to run over to Sportsman's Warehouse and see what they got. Upgrades are always good. Now was that Leopuld or Leupold at $99?

Bloozcat
October 11th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Tim, do you really need binoculars to see the kids so you can yell, "Hey you kids, get off of my lawn...." :D

ted s
October 11th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Maybe he has a really big lawn ?! :messedup:

Spudman
October 11th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I have a small Bushnell pair that I always take back packing. I almost turned the car around and drove 150 miles back to the house when I realized I had forgot them on one trip. They are essential for a good trip in my book. There is nothing like sitting on top of a mountain and glassing everything that you can see for an hour or two. It makes me feel like I'm eagle or something. Lucky for me I haven't had the urge to fly off a peak to nab a rodent down below.

Justaguyin_nc
October 11th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I have a few cheap folding pair I keep in the car/truck for those times in the mountains...then we also have a cheap moon viewer type I think called telestar by meade or something like that we take on vacations to the mountains.. fun to look across the valleys and to stare at the moon... when at home, it sits on the side porch to stare at the neighbors..I mean to keep a neighborhood watch out...

Tone2TheBone
October 11th, 2007, 02:45 PM
I completely forgot about a telescope. I want one. Been wanting one for years and always threaten to get one and never do. Only thing is that most of them look too complicated to mess with. Let's see if any more telescopers post anything.

Tim
October 11th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Tim, do you really need binoculars to see the kids so you can yell, "Hey you kids, get off of my lawn...." :D

No! I am keeping an eye on the mothers to make sure they are safe from neighborhood intruders. Oh yes, then there are they joggers who need safe passage down the busy road. Let see :whatever: am I missing anybody?

Bloozcat
October 12th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Funny little aside to the lawn joke: When we first moved into our current home about 12 years ago, the kids next door were petrified of my wife and I. We couldn't figure it out. We were always friendly towards them. One day when I was talking to their father, he told me what a butthole the former owner of our house was to the kids. He was a crotchety old man who used to yell at the kids when they would walk on his lawn, and if they wre playing ball in their yard and were unlucky enough to launce a ball into his yard, the old guy would confiscate it.

Well, after about two years, I was looking out the front window and the kids were playing baseball. I called my wife over and pointed to one of the kids who was playing "outfield" in our yard. My wife said, "You're not going to say anything to them, are you?" I said, "Heck no, the kids are finally comfortable enough with us that they'd do this. It was normal when I was a kid to do this. The neighbors never minded when we did it. I'm not going to discourage them either."

You're not accepted in a neighborhood until the kids accept you...:AOK: