PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Action

just strum
October 11th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Since I'm relatively new to the guitar and even more so to electric I was curious as to what you prefer the action to be at the 12th fret on your electric guitars? And do you have the action set different on the different guitars that you have to accommodate the style you tend to play?

Any other tips you can offer for setting up action? Any good websites geared toward electric guitar set-up?

Mark
October 11th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Dan Erlewine's Guitar players repair handbook is a must for anyone looking to work on their guitars. I set my action to 4/64th's.

TS808
October 11th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Dan Erlewine's Guitar players repair handbook is a must for anyone looking to work on their guitars. I set my action to 4/64th's.

One of the best books out there...it is a must have for any guitar player. I also set mine to 2/32"

t_ross33
October 11th, 2007, 09:11 PM
wouldn't that be 1/16"? What's that in millimetres ? :rolleyes:

My action is pretty high, but I'm pretty ham-fisted, being a bass and acoustic player most of my life and fairly new to 'lectric. Learning to like a lower action , but I set it pretty much by eye and by feel. Depends on my mood :messedup:

One of these days I'm gonna learn how to set this thing up properly.

Trev

Tim
October 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM
One of the best books out there...it is a must have for any guitar player. I also set mine to 2/32"

Holy Fret Buzz Batman! If I had my action that low on my acoustic I would never be able to play it. I have my relief set at .012' and my action is 6/64 on bass and 5/64 on high E. I do get some buzz at this setting. Anything less would make the guitar unplayable.

Robert
October 12th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I set it by feel, I don't measure. I use my eyes first, and then play and adjust until I am happy, which means as low as it gets without buzzing.

Bloozcat
October 12th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm with you on this one, Robert. Once I get the action to where it feels right when playing without buzzing, then I just fine tune the string heights for consistency.

abraxas
October 12th, 2007, 10:12 AM
On most of my guitars, the action is set at about 3 to 4/64" at the 17th fret, on the high E string, with a capo at the first fret. This is something I learned from Dan's tapes, of course. :D

I measure this using a small ruler I got from Stewmac. I prefer low action since I have a rather light touch. In case the guitar buzzes or frets out with such low action (I need to be able to do at least a 3 semitone bend anywhere on the high E), then that means it needs fret leveling and dressing. Which I do.

All my guitars have radii of 9 1/2 to 14, should a have a vintage Fender (for example) I should compromise for higher action.

250Keith
October 12th, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'am with Robert and Bloozcat.

Tim
October 12th, 2007, 11:41 AM
I hear you guys on electric setups. I am close to the measurement you have stated, but I do get a slight buzz when barring. You players must have a touch as soft as angel's breath. But my acoustic really buzzes which is why I don't play it that often.

marnold
October 12th, 2007, 01:56 PM
I don't have anything accurate enough to measure. I like my action on the low side though. After much tweaking, I think I've finally dialed my Floyd in where I like it.

Jimi75
October 12th, 2007, 02:51 PM
I play high action and a high string gauge.
The big advantage:
No one wants to play on my guitars

just strum
October 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I hear you guys on electric setups. I am close to the measurement you have stated, but I do get a slight buzz when barring. You players must have a touch as soft as angel's breath. But my acoustic really buzzes which is why I don't play it that often.

Tim,

I'm not sure of you experience level and don't take this as criticism because I have the same problem. A lot of times people try searching for the source of the buzz and eventually realize (though not always) that it is actually a result of poor fretting. I suspect that because of your reference to barring. If you are like many, your barring is a weaker part of your skills and could be the cause.

As for your acoustic buzzing, that may be an issue with a truss rod adjustment and/or putting the saddle a little higher. Of course you still want the action to be at the most optimal height. On my acoustics I always had them at 3/32.

YerDugliness
October 12th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Tim,

If you are like many, your barring is a weaker part of your skills and could be the cause.

Funny you should mention barreing tonight, Strum. I was just practicing my barreing earlier tonight on the WD32SW (I must give her a name!!).

To emphasize how important it is to pinch the neck when barreing, I make this offer to anyone I attempt to help with their guitar playing: while I am playing, at any time, tell me "Stop" and I'll do so, stand up, and hold the guitar like the pendulum on a grandfather clock, allowing it to swing.

You should continue to hear the chord clearly as the guitar swings back and forth. If you aren't pinching the barre chord adequately, it will mute immediately, that is assuming you can hold onto it at all.

What I found particularly important about barreing is to make sure the thumb never leaves the center of the back of the neck. Not only does it open up the hand for fretting, but it positions the hand perfectly for "pinching" those barre chords.

Since I was "swinging" the WD32SW tonight, perhaps I ought to call her "Swinging Sally"???

I'm willing to entertain suggestions for a name, guys. In case you haven't heard, I took advantage of Strum's generosity when he decided to sell the guitar I'm mentioning. Did you have a name for her, Strum (I mean other than "guitar 1", "guitar 2", etc.)???????

Dugly :cool:

just strum
October 13th, 2007, 06:22 AM
"You should continue to hear the chord clearly as the guitar swings back and forth. If you aren't pinching the barre chord adequately, it will mute immediately, that is assuming you can hold onto it at all."
Of course this is all taking place in the dark, correct? ;)

"Did you have a name for her, Strum (I mean other than "guitar 1", "guitar 2", etc.)???????"
Nope, just guitar 1 or sometimes 2 (named based on current ranking)

YerDugliness
October 13th, 2007, 08:19 AM
"You should continue to hear the chord clearly as the guitar swings back and forth. If you aren't pinching the barre chord adequately, it will mute immediately, that is assuming you can hold onto it at all."
Of course this is all taking place in the dark, correct? ;)

Ummmm--to be honest, yep, most of the time, except for when I am demonstrating to friends. The nice thing about playing in the dark is......when I drop the guitar, I can't see it, so there's no cringing!!

"Did you have a name for her, Strum (I mean other than "guitar 1", "guitar 2", etc.)???????"
Nope, just guitar 1 or sometimes 2 (named based on current ranking)

Well, for now then, she's SS#1 (for Steel String #1, or Swingin' Sally #1, depending on .........well, just depending :whatever: )

Dugy :cool:

just strum
October 13th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I just checked my two main guitars and they seem to be set at the right height and play well for my style.

Both the Ibanez ARC300 and the Epi Dot at the 12 th fret are set the same:

Low E = 5/64
High E = 2/32

I am able to strum chords with decent force without buzz and I can play notes without any problems.