PDA

View Full Version : Going to see The Police tomorrow

Jimi75
October 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Hey, my wife surprised me yesterday with two tickets for the sold out "The Police" concert in Duesseldorf/Germany.

Has any of you guys seen them on their recent reunion tour?

Algonquin
October 12th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Lucky bugger!

Just make sure she didn't sell one (or more) of your guitars to finance this little outting.

Please... give us details on how the show was.

Cheers, :beer:

David

t_ross33
October 12th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I heard on the radio yesterday that a couple of Police concerts had been canceled. Sting apparently has a throat infection and his doctors have advised him to rest. Hope it doesn't affect the Dusseldorf show!:thwap:

marnold
October 12th, 2007, 07:51 AM
While in Duesseldorf, have an altbier at Zum Uerige for me.

Jimi75
October 12th, 2007, 08:35 AM
While in Duesseldorf, have an altbier at Zum Uerige for me.

Where the hell do you know the Uerige in the Duesseldorf Altstadt?
Next time you are there let me know and you come and visit me please!!!

marnold
October 12th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Where the hell do you know the Uerige in the Duesseldorf Altstadt?
Next time you are there let me know and you come and visit me please!!!
I would LOVE to visit Zum Uerige someday. If I ever can scrape together the shekels to do a combination beer/historical Lutheran sites tour of Germany, you will be hearing from me :)

I'm a homebrewer and Altbier is my favorite style. A couple of years ago, I got talking with someone from Briess Malting Co. here in Wisconsin about it. She said that one of their employees was going to school somewhere in Germany. He hand-delivered a number of 1/2 liter (I think they were 1/2 liter) swing-tops to me. As a beer loving friend of mine and professional brewer once quipped about Zum Uerige, "I now have an answer to the question, 'Is it possible to have a favorite beer?'" When he went to Germany he brought me back a Zum Uerige glass and some coasters. Nowadays it's actually imported to the U.S., although it suffers greatly in transit.

I have a recipe for Altbier that I call "Der Holzfaeller Altbier." For you non-German types, der Holzfaeller means "the Lumberjack." I came up with the name after seeing the German Monty Python episodes.

To REALLY derail this thread, someone who claimed to know German said that the name should properly be "Das Holzfaeller Altbier" so that the article agrees with "Altbier." My goal was to name it "The Lumberjack Altbier." Which one would be more correct?

Jimi75
October 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Okay Marnold, gramatically correct is "Das Holzfaeller Altbier" but no one in Germany would leave the article "das" in the name.

Call it either "Holzfaeller Alt" or "Lumberjack Alt".

I left the word Bier away, because an Alt is an Alt in Germany and every kid knows that this is a beer.

By the way, I am not going to see The Police tomorrow. Sting cancelld the shows due to sickness.

marnold
October 12th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Okay Marnold, gramatically correct is "Das Holzfaeller Altbier" but no one in Germany would leave the article "das" in the name.

Call it either "Holzfaeller Alt" or "Lumberjack Alt".

I left the word Bier away, because an Alt is an Alt in Germany and every kid knows that this is a beer.

By the way, I am not going to see The Police tomorrow. Sting cancelld the shows due to sickness.
I figured that the article would be superfluous, but my German is quite weak, so I wasn't sure. I like keeping the "bier" in "Altbier" just because it looks so German. Sorry about the Police concert, but you could still have the bier!

I've got an idea for another Altbier that I'm going to call "Carol Alt (http://www.carolalt.com/)." It will be a Sticke Alt that I'm going to make around Christmas. So, yes, there are enough double entendres to choke a horse.