PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, Fretters....

duhvoodooman
March 1st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Howdy do, everybody. To quote Mr. Jagger, "Please allow me to introduce myself...."

I'm a picker with more enthusiasm than talent or experience, but I enjoy banging away, so what the heck! I play strictly for my own enjoyment and relaxation, in the confines of my own home. After a period of many years without an electric guitar, I bought a used 1990 MIA Fender Strat Plus in '97. Nice instrument, and I like the Gold Lace Sensor pups. Also had a real piece of crap small Fender SS amp that the music store guy threw into the deal for nothing. Worth every penny! But I lived with it until this past December.

At that time, I finally bought a Les Paul, a guitar I had lusted after since the days of my youth. Being (1) just a casual musician, and (2) cheap by nature, I wasn't about to drop a couple of grand on a Gibson, so I got an Epi Elitist LP Standard. Fantastic instrument--just love it. Posted at length about it HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=127&page=3).

With two nice guitars to play, the crappy little Fender amp just wouldn't cut it anymore, so after some intensive research, I got myself a VOX Valvetronix AD30VT modeling amp, which offers about as much fun as a man can have with his clothes on. Just love fooling around with the various amp models and effects, though when I settle in to play it's usually with one of the classic amp models (Fender, VOX, early Marshall) and just a bit of reverb or compression. I did pick up a few used pedals on eBay, though, including a Dunlop Cry Baby, a Digitech Tone Driver for light distortion and a Hot Rod for a bit heavier dose, and just won an auction for a Digitech DigiDelay pedal last week, but it hasn't arrived yet. I also bought a cheap ($20) little Behringer 7-band EQ pedal for some tone-shaping capability, but it's also good for a volume boost on the clean amp models.

You can see the two guitars and the VOX amp (before I changed the cheese grater for VOX cloth) at THIS LINK (http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/axes'n'amp.jpg).

As far as musical preferences go, I lean strongly toward classic rock and blues. Being a child of the late 60's/early 70's, my personal guitar heroes include Clapton, Hendrix, Beck, Page, Townshend, Duane Allman, and a bit later on, Steve Morse and my #1 all-time favorite, SRV. Attempting to sound like these guys is pretty much an exercise in futility for me, but it's still fun, especially when I accidentally get a note or two right.

Just a couple of quick comments on the "duhvoodooman" handle--this has nothing to do with Hendrix, SRV or anything musical. I'm also quite interested in computers, especially the hardware end of them, and several years ago became something of a resident expert on 3dfx "Voodoo" video cards in a couple of user forums I frequented. Some of the other forum regulars started calling me "the Voodoo man" and the nickname kind of stuck. Eventually, I used it for my personal website, so please stop by Duhvoodooman.com (http://duhvoodooman.com) and check it out. Mostly computer stuff, but I have several pages relating to the VOX Valvetronix amps posted there now, too.

Some quick personal info: Just turned 55 years old, live in the Albany NY area, happily married with two teenage kids (hence the need for hammering on the ol' gitfiddle as a means of non-violent stress relief! :D ). A pleasure to meet you all, and look forward to talking guitars, amps & relata with all of you!

Tone2TheBone
March 1st, 2006, 11:42 AM
Welcome Voodoo. Great introduction. I finally have a teenage kid now so I can really relate to your comments at the bottom of your intro. hahahaha

Robert
March 1st, 2006, 12:17 PM
Welcome, Voodoman! I am kinda into computers too, but not hardware. I do web sites and web applications and such things.

How did you discover our discussion board?

Great intro, big welcome!

Nelskie
March 1st, 2006, 12:22 PM
Voodoo - Saluations and welcome. I used to have a 16MB Voodoo graphics card in my old Gateway PIII - back then it was THE stuff!! It's our "family" computer now, but still works like a charm. Anyways, glad to have you with us, and look forward to your posts.

duhvoodooman
March 1st, 2006, 12:35 PM
How did you discover our discussion board?

I've been hanging out some at the forum at Patchtronix.com (VOX Valvetronix users site) and one of the folks over there posted the URL for this forum. Came over and liked what I saw.

BTW, Robert, I've been to your website before, after somebody at Patchtronix posted a link to some of your video clips with your AD50VT. Small world!

How's your dad doing? I read on your site that he was ill. Improved, I hope!!

Tim
March 1st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Hello agian Voodoo.

I have you by one year and one child. Of course my 3 children are all over the age of 21. But, don't hold your breath for that age to come. Their personal problems do not go away ... they become MORE mature.

I keep telling my kids that they are not going to inherit any large sums of money when I die because they are spending it all now.

SuperSwede
March 1st, 2006, 02:45 PM
Welcome Voodoo!

I hope you will like this place as much as I do. We have a small but very friendly community here!

warren0728
March 1st, 2006, 03:00 PM
welcome again voodoo....glad you are here!

ww

Justaguyin_nc
March 2nd, 2006, 01:12 AM
Welcome to the forums Voodooo...my gawd I think I got one of those old cards in the utility building someplace... times change as do computers.. sigh.. more money to spend... look forward to your inputs here on the fret.net...

Matt
March 3rd, 2006, 04:10 PM
Welcome Voodooman. People ranting on about their teenage kids... well, I am one :D we're not that bad.

Anyhoo, seems like Robert's site was once again a seducing magnet for new members :P

regards

Matt

r_a_smith3530
March 4th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Hey there, welcome duhvoodooman! I'm another old fart with two teenaged kids (16 and 15) who got started with this guitar thing (now bass) later in life. BTW, just for the record, you've got me by three years. It's good to know there are other oldies like you and me out there, just starting out. I'd like to find some to jam with, especially the blues. I've gone to jam nights at blues clubs a few times, but it's not the same as playin' with the same kats regularly.

I have started to play out, having done a gig backing up my best friend. He's a folk singer/songwriter. We've got a few future gigs slated, and I'm pushing him to include a few more electrified tunes into the sets. Hey, I finally got him to buy an electric (actually two, a Samick AN450 and Barrington Classic Electric)) and an amp (Peavey Delta Blues 210). Yesterday, he bought one of those Clapton pedals. I bought a used Peavey TNT100 amp!

BTW, I'm also into computers, having provided software desktop, server, and network support to Xerox Corp for EDS for six years until getting laid off last year. I'm trying to find a spot right now, but in the meantime I'm working as an Asst Parts Manager in the auto industry.