PDA

View Full Version : The Fret dot Net Internet Jam

stingx
October 12th, 2007, 06:31 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8a/Glastonbury-concert.jpg/800px-Glastonbury-concert.jpg

I would like to see if anyone would be interested in a collaborative jam. I'll come up with a good backer - in fact I have one in mind and will up it later for approval. So, anyone interested? You don't need a studio like Gilmour's to lay your piece down and participate. All I ask is that you mp3 encode your parts at a minimum of 160kbs. When complete you upload to box.net so I can fetch it and add it to the mix. Don't have a box.net (http://box.net/) account? Go get one, it's free.

Need recording software? Reaper (http://reaper.fm/) is an incredibly feature rich, lightweight and ABSOLUTELY FREE product. Although I made the switch from Cubase to Tracktion, I still keep a copy of Reaper on the laptop because it uses very little system resources and supports all my VST plugins.

The amount of participants would be limited to the length of the track and time slots will be assigned based on that. Also, this is first come, first serve so people will be picked to participate in order of response. That's the most fair way.

This should be fun and, if well received, could become a monthly thing...

R_of_G
October 12th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I think this is a great idea. I am intrigued by the idea of "non-simulataneous collaboration" this idea would create as well as hearing your finished edited product from all submitted parts. If this generates enough interest and happens, I am definitely down for being part of it.:AOK:

Spudman
October 12th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Do you mean someone puts up a backing track, then one person does their thing for 60 seconds, then someone else does theirs and so on until the track finishes? If so we've been doing this just not much lately. It would be good to have someone spearhead this so that we get back into the swing of collaborating.

stingx
October 12th, 2007, 09:18 AM
This would be not only for instrumental jams, but also for covers that others have interest in.

Justaguyin_nc
October 12th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Do you mean someone puts up a backing track, then one person does their thing for 60 seconds, then someone else does theirs and so on until the track finishes? If so we've been doing this just not much lately. It would be good to have someone spearhead this so that we get back into the swing of collaborating.

Yeah it seemed to just die here...sigh.. I actually joined another forum under another name so I can continue messing like that..lol.. shhhh :rotflmao:

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I would like it to start up again. Like I said the "next purchase" thread, I am hopefully getting a Toneport next so I can record better at home. My input would be very amateur, so I would be interested in contributing on some recordings where that would be ok. I am not sure that is what Pete is looking for. It would also be fun to see the big dogs collaborate. :R

jasongins
October 12th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I would like it to start up again. Like I said the "next purchase" thread, I am hopefully getting a Toneport next so I can record better at home. My input would be very amateur, so I would be interested in contributing on some recordings where that would be ok. I am not sure that is what Pete is looking for. It would also be fun to see the big dogs collaborate. :R

I'm with Sunvalleylaw on this one. Maybe there could be a collaboration for us novices in addition to one for the advanced players. As for covers, I can sort of play White Room, part of Stone in Love (Journey), and am working on 867-5309 (Jenny). I love the 80s.

Hey Sunvalley... You didn't get the toneport yet? I remember that thread, it was quite a while ago. How have you not exploded from the GAS??

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I'm with Sunvalleylaw on this one. Maybe there could be a collaboration for us novices in addition to one for the advanced players. As for covers, I can sort of play White Room, part of Stone in Love (Journey), and am working on 867-5309 (Jenny). I love the 80s.

Hey Sunvalley... You didn't get the toneport yet? I remember that thread, it was quite a while ago. How have you not exploded from the GAS??

Typical of me, to shop and research long before point of purchase. Ask DVM about how long it took me to get and amph. :rotflmao: Hopefully have some B-day dough coming up so hope to close the deal soon.

I like the 80s too, and it would be fun to learn Jenny. My instructor and I have been working on Black Magic Woman (Santanna), and that is a fun one with lots of room for pentatonic jamming too.

As to separate tracks, I hope that the tracks where novices can join would also get visited by some of the big dogs, as we pups learn that way. :Dude:

helliott
October 12th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'd be in for this. Not sure how to test the size of the mp3 file to ensure it fits that guideline, because I'm doing mine on a standalone recording unit and then translating from WAV back to MP3. But if my file conforms, I'd be thrilled to take part.

Lev
October 13th, 2007, 04:26 AM
Thanks for the Reaper tip!! I spent some time yesterday working with it - much easier than Cubase and free!! sweeeet:beer: