PDA

View Full Version : Washburns

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Since we have experienced the Washburn invasion, I thought I'd ask our new comers a question. I have been looking for a new acoustic to pick up someday. I would like the sound of a dreadnought, with a deep, throbby low E string, clear and pronounced higher strings, and kind of a scooped out middle tones. Like an EQ set in a dish shape. In Martin land, I consider that the rosewood back and side/spruce guitars as opposed to the Mahogany back and side guitars. Focusing on the sound, rather than necessarily the woods, what does Washburn have that might fit the bill for me?

You could also use this thread to educate me (and anyone else interested) about your favorite Washburn. What is it, how constructed, why you like it. Ok new guys, let us have it! :)

t_ross33
October 12th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Can't go wrong with the D10 IMHO. Lots of models and configurations to choose from. I have (http://washburn.com/products/acoustics/dreadnoughts/d10q.aspx) mahogany back and sides with quilted maple top. Nice warm tone, but still lots of bright chime on the high strings.

:AOK:

just strum
October 12th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I saw this thread at lunch today, but didn't have time to post. I am not a Washburn person the has a "W" tattooed to their forehead, but I have found them to be nice guitars.

My first acoustic was a Washburn WD32SW - an all solid wood guitar that I purchased new from RGG music - It is a dreadnought with solid spruce top and solid sapele back and sides. Sound is great and the price ($350 at the time) fit the budget. I looked around at other new guitars in the price range and found nothing that came close to it. If a better guitar at $350 was out there, I couldn't find it. Actually tried guitars as high as $750, but still preferred the WD32SW. That guitar is currently owned now by Dugly.

The next was an EA20SDL that everyone that owns or has owned one raves about them. A festival series acoustic/electric guitar. It had a great neck, but I never cared much for the sound. The sound issue could be the result of not having the proper amp. A much smaller guitar (thinner body) it does stand out when plugged in and shows off it's greatest sound features when electric. The guitar has gone through a number of material changes, so gaging the value of a used one really requires knowing a little about the year and/or place it was assembled. Currently new they sell for about $670. As I noted, everyone seems to like them, but me. Shiner and his wife now own the one I had.

And finally, the one remaining Washburn is my J28SDL and probably was my favorite acoustic most of the time. The J28SDL is a jumbo that has a booming sound and great sustain (as did the WE32SW). Solid spruce top with quilted laminated maple sides. Sells for approximately $680.

Now I have never tried the high end Washburn (D82SW, D82SWCE & D84SW), but I've heard good things about them. These are made in the USA and probably sell new for $1600 to $1800. How do these compare to the higher end Martins? I wish I could tell you, but I've never played either.

So with that short story now complete, speaking from my own experience I feel that the $350 to $700 Washburns offer a lot for the money. The D10 that T_Ross mentioned also gets high marks and can be had at a very reasonable price on e-bay.

Bottom line is (and I know you know this), you will have to go out and test drive a number of different models and makes. Same guitar side-by-side can sound different. I don't really recommend a Washburn over another - I recommend giving them a try to see if they might be appealing to you. If they are, you could save yourself a lot of cash.

I'm sorry, what was the question?:whatever:

YerDugliness
October 12th, 2007, 06:47 PM
Strum's right, I'm now the owner of that phenomenal WD32SW he once owned, and I love the action, the feel of it as it vibrates against my body as I am playing it, and of course the sound. IMHO, it is the best bargain in the Washburn catalog. I also own a WD32S, which is the same guitar as the WD32SW I bought from Strum, just with laminate sides and back instead of solid wood. It has great volume (I attribute that to the Dean Markley Alchemy strings I put on it), but it doesn't have the tonal complexity of the WD32SW.

I have played a WD82SW once and it was the sweetest steel string acoustic I've ever had in these grubby paws. Smoooooooth action, incredible sound, and absolutely the most phenomenal lutherie I have ever seen (most of my exposure to higher end guitars is in the field of classical guitars, though). It has me GASing for one of their WD84SW guitars, which uses Koa wood for the sides and back, but Washburn is being a real PITA regarding some specific requests. It's beyond me why they would care if I supplied the nut and saddle, or why they would not allow their luther to build it with a wider nut width (and the luthier actually says he WANTS to build one with a wider nut/neck, but they won't budge on the issue). The only thing they will allow is for the pick guard to be deleted. BIG WOOOO!!! I guess in their defense they don't refer to their U.S. handmade models as "custom", but that seems to be the perception they would like for others to have, again IMHO. It might very well have cost Washburn a special order--the lesson here is when you deal with a large company, you have to expect them to be buttheads at times.

I've played with others who had the D10 and they had a nice, clear sound--actually, pretty much like you describe the "bowl shaped" frequency response you would like. Clear trebbles, good bass, not too prominent in the midrange. The only thing that might keep me from recommending one is that as I understand it they are built like my WD32S with laminate sides and back. If you go through guitars rather quickly, that might not make much difference to you. If, however, you are like me (I tend to keep my cars and guitars for a long time), you will want an all wood model for the improvement in sound that comes with ageing.

The Cumberland models (actually, all the solid wood models, which will have SW after the model number rather than just S) from Washburn seem to enjoy good receptions. I'm waiting for Washburn to get it right on their new "Bluegrass" model--much lower priced than their WD82SW/WD84SW, but a GOOD LOOKING guitar with some cool gear (open tuners, tortoise pickguard, etc.).

If you like a Dreadnaught or Jumbo, by all means get hold of the new member Toaster. He runs RGG Music and has access to some incredibly low priced Washburn guitars right now, solid wood, some acoustic/electric, some just acoustic, but with righteous prices! I had to quit looking at the photos he posted on the Washburn forum of the Jumbo with spruce top and flame maple sides and back--just too gorgeous--but if you like a guitar with bright highs and a punchy bass, this might just be the guitar for you--maple is known for it's crystaline highs and the jumbo size is pretty good for bass production. OK, I could afford one, but I think I'll save my $$ and consider a true CUSTOM made guitar, like a Breedlove, or perhaps one of the Seagull higher end models. I wish I could feel differently, but Washburn obviously is more interested in the bottom like than they are in customer satisfaction (although, I must say that their webmaster, who is also the customer satisfaction representative for Washburn, did ALMOST perform magic on the issues I mentioned earlier, he was just over-ruled by one of the bigger bean counters).

Shame on you Washburn, but you may still sell me a new guitar, yet--give me some time to get over it :reallymad: .

Dugly :cool:

tot_Ou_tard
October 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Strum's right, I'm now the owner of that phenomenal WD32SW he once owned, and I love the action, the feel of it as it vibrates against my body as I am playing it, and of course the sound. IMHO, it is the best bargain in the Washburn catalog. I also own a WD32S, which is the same guitar as the WD32SW I bought from Strum, just with laminate sides and back instead of solid wood. It has great volume (I attribute that to the Dean Markley Alchemy strings I put on it), but it doesn't have the tonal complexity of the WD32SW.

These aren't a bit bright with the maple back & sides? I thought that maple was better for stage projection etc, but lacked richness in an intimate setting.

...ummm, but what do I know?

---- edit----

I just realized that the lack of richness is what Sunvalley was asking for with the scooped mids.

wingsdad
October 12th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Sun Valley Steve, you're looking for a solid rosewood b/s, solid spruce top dread if you're thinking 'Martin-like', and Toaster could probably suggest the Wash model(s) that might fit the bill. An idea of your 'budget' or target price point might help narrow the choice.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Washburn, but that's just me. Like Strum, I don't have the 'W' tattooed on my forehead, or even the sole of my foot. I didn't even consider a Washburn for such a guitar.

My preference in bang-for-the-buck all solid-woood acoustics is Tacoma. Made in the USA, much higher qulaity, and going extinct now that Fender's scuttled their product line. Depending on whether it's used and how old, or new if you can find one, an all-solid Rosewood/spruce Tac dread goes for anywhere from $350-$1,400US. Most would fall in the $500-$1,000 range, again, depending on used or new and finish level. (That's excluding the 'exotic wood' types; you can get a Brazilian Rosewood Tac, used for about $2,500 or more if you look hard).

PS: I had a Wash EA20SDL that Strum mentions, solid spruce top, lam maple b/s, thinner body. I'd compare it to a shallow or super-shallow bowl Ovation in sound. The one Wash guitar I still have and will not likely part with is an NV-100C, a 'hybrid' kind of nylon-string a/e.

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Sun Valley Steve, you're looking for a solid rosewood b/s, solid spruce top dread if you're thinking 'Martin-like', and Toaster could probably suggest the Wash model(s) that might fit the bill. An idea of your 'budget' or target price point might help narrow the choice.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend a Washburn, but that's just me. Like Strum, I don't have the 'W' tattooed on my forehead, or even the sole of my foot. I didn't even consider a Washburn for such a guitar.

My preference in bang-for-the-buck all solid-woood acoustics is Tacoma. Made in the USA, much higher qulaity, and going extinct now that Fender's scuttled their product line. Depending on whether it's used and how old, or new if you can find one, an all-solid Rosewood/spruce Tac dread goes for anywhere from $350-$1,400US. Most would fall in the $500-$1,000 range, again, depending on used or new and finish level. (That's excluding the 'exotic wood' types; you can get a Brazilian Rosewood Tac, used for about $2,500 or more if you look hard).

PS: I had a Wash EA20SDL that Strum mentions, solid spruce top, lam maple b/s, thinner body. I'd compare it to a shallow or super-shallow bowl Ovation in sound. The one Wash guitar I still have and will not likely part with is an NV-100C, a 'hybrid' kind of nylon-string a/e.

Interesting! I have not played a Tacoma proper, though I was born and raised in that proud, workingman's, port and pulp mill town. :pancake One of the guitars I have played that I really liked is a Guild, built under Fender ownership in the Tacoma factory. That was a nice guitar. Might need to check out one of the Tacoma models. I am not into the funky sound hole ones though. Right now, I have not seen or heard of anything in the solid rosewood/spruce category that beats the Larivee I have tried for bang for the buck. The next runner ups so far are the D-16RGT (Martin) and the Guild bluegrass models. Doesn't sound like the Washburns are what I am looking for. Samick makes a solid Rosewood/Spruce, but I am not going to buy a solid wood acoustic remotely, and Vegas is the closest dealer I know of. Thanks for the info guys. This is all just pie in the sky shopping now. I wanted to hear about your Washburn acoustics though since you guys showed up here en masse! :beer:

YerDugliness
October 12th, 2007, 11:01 PM
These aren't a bit bright with the maple back & sides?

[Edit--sorry, when I originally posted this answer I thought you were talking about those spruce/maple jumbos I mentioned; now I realize you are talking about my WD32SW. I've now edited the post. Dugly ]

Yes, I guess that the spruce/maple jumbo would be, but the WD32SW is a spruce top/Sapele (which I understand is a variety of mahogany) sides and back, so it's not "shrill" or "bright"--but I particularly like that spruce/maple tonal balance. While the classical (which I played for 32 years before I got a steel string) has a greater variation of tonality (IMHO), I did find the trebble strings to be a bit "dull".

The first case of GAS I ever had was for a maple Takamine jumbo with gold tuners. What a beautiful guitar, and such a bright sound!!

Dugly :cool:

wingsdad
October 13th, 2007, 10:57 AM
...One of the guitars I have played that I really liked is a Guild, built:spank: under Fender ownership in the Tacoma factory. That was a nice guitar. Might need to check out one of the Tacoma models. I am not into the funky sound hole ones though. Right now, I have not seen or heard of anything in the solid rosewood/spruce category that beats the Larivee I have tried for bang for the buck. The next runner ups so far are the D-16RGT (Martin) and the Guild bluegrass models. ...

Well, it sounds like you may be willing to invest as much as $1,500 or more on a good solid rosewood/spruce dread. The Tacomas I referred to as going extinct are the 'roundhole' traditional models. In converting the acquired Tacoma factory into a Guild Factory, Fender opted at the end of 2006 to cease production of all but a 'Little Jumbo' model, maybe a Parlor, too, to limit Tacomas to their original 'funky sound hole' Wing Series with the Paisley hole in the upper bout so as to not shoot themselves in the foot anymore marketing the new Guilds that cost more but seriously, are Tacoma Sheep in Fender-Guild Wolf's clothing.

The top-of-the-line production line (not custom) Tacoma Rosewood/Spruce dread was the DR55. As my Washburn dealer store here is also a Tacoma dealer, he managed to get several Tac's at stupidly low clearout prices from Fender. I got my 2006 DR55 at 50% off list...which was just about $2,900 before Fender killed it. It's pretty nice. It ain't Brazilian, but it's sweet rosewood with an Englemann top (I got lucky...spec is Sitka) 3-piece back ala Martin D-35. Neck is mahogany, bridge & board are Ebony, body & neck bindings are Koa, inlays & rosette are Abalone. Bridge, nut & pins are Tusq, Gotoh tuners:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Acoustics%20Post%20size/DR55Front1.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Acoustics%20Post%20size/DR55Back2.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Acoustics%20Post%20size/IMG_4788.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Acoustics%20Post%20size/IMG_4795.jpg

I've seen a couple on slEaze-Bay recently going for $1,200-$1,300.

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Nice looking guitar! When I do make such a purchase, I was going to try and limit it to plus or minus a grand. The satin finish Larivee is about that. The D16 is not too much more. A Tacoma built Guild might fit in there, and now I know to look for the Tacomas. Thanks.

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Are you a handy guy Steve? If so you might consider one of these kits.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Acoustic_Guitar_Kits/Dreadnought_Guitar_Kits.html

There's a mahogany model and a rosewood model (equivalent to Martin's D18 & D28). $400 (plus some specialty tools) and if you're patient you'll end up with a fine guitar, worth five times that.

wingsdad
October 13th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Nice looking guitar! When I do make such a purchase, I was going to try and limit it to plus or minus a grand. The satin finish Larivee is about that. The D16 is not too much more. A Tacoma built Guild might fit in there, and now I know to look for the Tacomas. Thanks.
This started as a thread inquiring about Washburns and I apoligize for steering it off-topic. Maybe I should make a Tacoma thread?

But to your point of staying around a grand, while all Tacomas have been all (back, sides, top) solid woods since January, 2001, there are basically 4 'Series' of 'finish level'. Mine's a 55 series. Just a few models, all non-cutaway. Below that is the 28 Series, then 14 Series, then 9. All include hardcase; the 28 & 55 with a great case, the 9 & 14 with a decent case. 3 options of Onboard electronics add $160-$250 to the list price(My DR55 has an LR Baggs Miratone pup/preamp; I have a Koa/Spruce cutaway Jumbo, JK28C, with a Fishman PrefixPlus system.)

The least expensive Rosewood dread is the DR14 with a last list price of $1,465 and it's cutaway sister, DR14C listing for $200 more. 14 Series have Gloss top, satin back/sides. My local dealer has a DR14 with the Baggs (I think) at 50% off list, so it's about $850-900, as he just got some more warehouse clearouts. (No rosewood in the 9 series).

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Are you a handy guy Steve? If so you might consider one of these kits.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Acoustic_Guitar_Kits/Dreadnought_Guitar_Kits.html

There's a mahogany model and a rosewood model (equivalent to Martin's D18 & D28). $400 (plus some specialty tools) and if you're patient you'll end up with a fine guitar, worth five times that.

Well, maybe I could be. When we moved here and had only one kid, I did participate in some building on our house. But given two jobs, 3 kids and a wife, several hobbies/sports, I have decided that my mod/building projects need to be very modest for the time being. More modest than building that guitar. I did notice that kit in your intro pic and it did catch my eye. I am just not thinking I could take it on right now. :pancake

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2007, 08:38 PM
This started as a thread inquiring about Washburns and I apoligize for steering it off-topic. Maybe I should make a Tacoma thread?

But to your point of staying around a grand, while all Tacomas have been all (back, sides, top) solid woods since January, 2001, there are basically 4 'Series' of 'finish level'. Mine's a 55 series. Just a few models, all non-cutaway. Below that is the 28 Series, then 14 Series, then 9. All include hardcase; the 28 & 55 with a great case, the 9 & 14 with a decent case. 3 options of Onboard electronics add $160-$250 to the list price(My DR55 has an LR Baggs Miratone pup/preamp; I have a Koa/Spruce cutaway Jumbo, JK28C, with a Fishman PrefixPlus system.)

The least expensive Rosewood dread is the DR14 with a last list price of $1,465 and it's cutaway sister, DR14C listing for $200 more. 14 Series have Gloss top, satin back/sides. My local dealer has a DR14 with the Baggs (I think) at 50% off list, so it's about $850-900, as he just got some more warehouse clearouts. (No rosewood in the 9 series).

One of those sound like a great option. Our local where I have test driving the Larrivees and Martins (and Alvarez's, and Deans, and .
. .) has a couple Tacomas of the unusual sound hole variety. He might be able to get a couple in. But this is a theoretical conversation at this point for me. I just like learning so I can be informed when the time comes. No worries about going off topic. One of our moderators, noted in his old sig line: "This is the fret.net, we go off topic all the time here!" I just thought I'd learn a bit about good value rosewood spruce guitars, our new member's Washburns, and generate some acoustic traffic with all this new blood. :beer:

Here is a link to that Larrivee D-03R I like: (with a clip)
http://guitaradoptions.com/store/product.php?productid=17448&cat=257&page=1

Childbride
November 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM
i'm not going to act like i know anything about anything, here, b/c i'm still a newbie. to the guitar in general, and especially to this forum.

i will tell you, with a house full of washburns, what i like and don't like.

Strum's EA20SDL... can't put it down. it's very easy for me to play with my bad back, as it is thinner, and extremely versatile. i love the cutaway, as a lot of my lessons are on the higher frets. does it suffer some on the acoustic side b/c of the thinness of the body? some. but i still can't put her down. literally.

my augusta? very good on the sustain and just a darned pretty guitar.

my two other favorite guitars in the house? have got to be our 12-ers. i am on a 70's hook right now, and the songs that i play just sound so much sweeter on my Storm, a J28S12DL... and Shiner's D46S12. different songs for different guitars. Storm booms. Shiner's just sounds so pretty and balanced... and they are both such beautiful guitars. my family has some home builders and woodworkers on the paternal side, and if my grandpa could see either of these guitars, he would be mesmerized.

ok, i just sounded really girly, and i pride myself on being a tomboy. [sigh] sorry 'bout that. i'm out to go play. :D

just strum
November 25th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Strum's EA20SDL... can't put it down. it's very easy for me to play with my bad back, as it is thinner, and extremely versatile. i love the cutaway, as a lot of my lessons are on the higher frets. does it suffer some on the acoustic side b/c of the thinness of the body? some. but i still can't put her down. literally.

that's your EA20SDL, not mine. It still brings me a lot of joy knowing that you like it as much as you do.

Childbride
November 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM
if you only knew how much. :)

Shiner is finishing up dressing the fretboard and putting new strings on her... i have played them to rags. getting ready to start doing it again. ;)

Donny
February 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
HIya CB, Shiner! Hey Wings, DreadBurn! Strummy and all the rest ..I made it here! I also have those same two 12 string guitars, the J28S12 and the D46SCE12..I may be selling the D46 to a friend who wants one for on stage....and you are so right CB..it is the sweetest sounding 12 string laminate I've ever heard. Its' appointments are more than just plastic. It has a form of imitation bone (like TUSQ, but another brand) and that southwest rosette and fret markers make me feel at home here in Arizona. I will hate to give her up, so Teddy will have to PAY DEARLY for her lol

Kazz
February 20th, 2008, 05:13 AM
I have had gas for Strums J28 for over a year now I guess...maybe 2 LOL...but I just could not make myself take the plunge on a laminate guitar even tho it is beautiful....I did consider a RGG WD32 but the bonus check has not came in yet.

While my renewal of guitar interest started because of Frank Hannon playing a awesome J28 at an acoustic show in St Louis in 2005....I bought a Parkwood PW340FM about a year ago...all solid wood jumbo and she sounds flippin amazing.....the only complaint is the narrow neck at the first fret...I find I need a .9 inch neck to be able to cleanly fret a C major and this is more like standard around .75