PDA

View Full Version : Room for one more W?

Dreadman
October 12th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Hi all.

I'm part of the NWOWF (new wave of washburn forumites). I've posted a couple times here and figured it's about time I introduced myself.

I've been playing for (hmmmmm, let me think) almost 25 years. Wow, am I really that old? :messedup: I own a small CNC machine shop and my family breeds Shih Tzu's (I've already heard the Bulldog/Shih Tzu joke......about a million times. LOL)

I spend a lot of my time playing, buying, repairing, building and modifying guitars - and I enjoy sharing what I know. Anything I can do to help - just ask.

A bunch of my forum buds have migrated over here (hey all!) so I thought I'd pull up a chair. Must be a great place if it attracted those fine folks. I look forward to getting to know y'all.

==================================================

(EDIT) I tried to link to my W forum profile in my Fret.net signature but forgot that you have to be a W forum member to see it. I then tried to recreate that profile here but this forum doesn't allow much info in profiles so for the time being I'll just post it in this thread. (I hope it doesn't look pretentious, I'm not that way)

MY GUITARS

Washburn acoustics:
D10N
D10SCE (two of 'em, black & natural)
D11TBL
WD18SW
WD32SW
D10S12
D46SCE12
EA20SDL
D52SW
D56SWCE
J56SW
J28S12DL
D60SW (that's right, D60SW!)

Washburn electrics:
HB-30 Semi-hollowbody
KC-30V

Other fine guitars:
Ibanez SZ520QM (two of 'em, purple & blue) I LOVE these guitars
Ibanez AJ307CENT (7-string jumbo acoustic)
Alvarez RB30SC Jumbo Acoustic Bass
Takamine Jasmine 12 String acoustic
Epiphone FT-120 acoustic
Stew-Mac D28 kit acoustic (solid rosewood, not finished yet)
Tokai Semi-hollowbody
Charvel Model 6 SuperStrat (two of 'em, one's a project guitar)
B.C. Rich Beast
Mako Strat
Samick Strat
Kit built Strat
Nikko Strat
Custom built American Strat-O-Killer
Two 3/4 scale Strat types
Hondo Les Paul
A few others

Here's some of them (and the most comfortable couch ever made :D
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/phobuk/Guitarscouch.jpg
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/phobuk/Guitarschair.jpg

and here's my new hanger system with about 2/3 of the herd (that's the unfinished rosewood dread kit on the bottom left)
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/phobuk/24guitarsonwall.jpg[/COLOR]

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Welcome Dreadman! You have friends here, and the rest of us are pretty good folks too. Looking forward to your input. Does your handle reference more closely your hairstyle or your emotional state, or neither? :D :beer:

Dreadman
October 12th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks Sun.

The handle refers to my preference in acoustic guitars (dreadnaughts). I've got one or two. :D

sunvalleylaw
October 12th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks Sun.

The handle refers to my preference in acoustic guitars (dreadnaughts). I've got one or two. :D
Allright! I shoulda figured that out. My only acoustic is a dreadnought also, as are the ones I drool over. :drool: Welcome again!

Oops, went to look at your geetars via your link, but it won't let me. Says you have to register first. Can you link it a different way? I'd like to see the "one or two". :beer:

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Oops. I was being lazy and linked to my existing profile on the W forum. Forgot that it's members only. I'll work on reproducing it here.

(EDIT) see above

oldguy
October 13th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Welcome to TheFret!:)

just strum
October 13th, 2007, 06:05 AM
Dreadman,

Great to see that you showed up. I was getting concerned that you were going to ignore my invite.

To the folks at thefret, Dreadman, like some others at the W forum, is considered a real asset (if we were on the W forum I would have dropped the "et" heh, heh). His knowledge of the mechanical side of guitars has helped many over at the W forum and is often called on for assistance. I should note he is no slouch when it comes to musical and playing knowledge either. However, note some dimensions in a post and I can assure you that you most likely will see a response from Dreadman.

As he noted, he owns a CNC machine shop, however if you monitor the time that he makes his post you will start to wonder if he works or sleeps.

Welcome Dreadman, I think you are going to like the people and the discussions that take place here.

M29
October 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Hello Dreadman,

I see we have few things in common. I also have a D10SCE and a Shih Tzu. I don't have a machine shop but I do have few machines, a couple lathes a mill and a drill press. Not cnc but some old school stuff to have fun with. Oh yea I play guitar too but not very well.:D

Great to have you aboard!

M29

Robert
October 13th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Welcome Dreadman, looking forward to enjoying your posts! :D

You washburn dudes are a great addition to the fretnet herd.

YerDugliness
October 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Welcome to what has become known as "the Washburn Invasion", Dread!!

Good to see you made the jump, too.

I can attest that this is a pretty friendly bunch of fellows here, too, and I can tell they are all guitar crazy, just like us!

As for the non-Washburn Invasion members of the forum, I can assure you that Strum speaks true--Dread is one of those members whose posts I always read. He's spot on when it comes to technical issues and also regarding playing technique. Keep an eye out for his posts; you won't be disappointed!!

Here's looking forward to hearing more from you here, too, Dread!

Cheers!!

Dugly :cool:

P.S.--There is also "naked guy" stuff on this forum, too. Watch out for offers of pancakes :rotflmao: !!

luvmyshiner
October 13th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Hey Dread welcome aboard. It's a great group of folks over here, but if Warren offers you any pancakes . . . RUN LIKE HELL!:pancake :pancake

wingsdad
October 13th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Great to see you climb aboard here, D-man :AOK: I think your range of tech know-how will be widely appreciated.

Those of us who migrated from the Wash-Forum can all attest to your perceived specialty, the care & feeding of finicky acoustics, but there's surely more 'open space' ( ;) ) to spread the rest of your :R wealth here.

Spudman
October 13th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Hi Dread.
Another tech will be good to have. We need some one to fix our GAS problems.:D

Katastrophe
October 13th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Welcome!

Robert, our new slogan should be, "TheFret dot Net. Resistance is futile, all other forum members will be assimilated."

er, uh sumthin' like that.

Cool collection of guits, Dreadman. It's good to have a member with so many acoustics!

t_ross33
October 13th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Nice collection there Dread :drool: I'm going to be using your photos as a template for my music room - I have a lot more empty wall space, but serious GAS :Dude: (BTW, my good wife HATES this forum :rotflmao: )

All you 'coustic boys have me thinking about adding more acoustic based stuff to our set list. I wonder if my drummer (a 80s hair metal basher c/w spandex back in the day) will go for it :spank:

I'm gonna grab a cuppa joe, my flat-tops and just sit and strum blissfully for awhile. See ya round the Fret.

Trev

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Dreadman,

Great to see that you showed up. I was getting concerned that you were going to ignore my invite. I'd pay a visit to a leper colony if you invited me bud. It's just that when I got back from vacation I found that a bunch of smart *** customers had sent me a bunch of work. :messedup:

As he noted, he owns a CNC machine shop, however if you monitor the time that he makes his post you will start to wonder if he works or sleeps.Work?.....yes, all the time.
Sleep?.......almost never. :)

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Hello Dreadman,

I see we have few things in common. I also have a D10SCE and a Shih Tzu. I don't have a machine shop but I do have few machines, a couple lathes a mill and a drill press. Not cnc but some old school stuff to have fun with. Oh yea I play guitar too but not very well.:D

Great to have you aboard!

M29Right on M29! Guitars, a self powered mop & machines. You sound like a real cool guy. :D

My shop isn't very big at all. A small CNC mill, Southbend lathe, all the usual support machines and it's usually just me working.

May I ask where you got your Shih Tzu?

(EDIT) Being a machinist you'll appreciate this. It's a close up of the guitar hangers I made to get the collection off the floor, furniture, beds, etc.... They pivot in three places and slide along the T-shaped oak track.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/phobuk/CustomGuitarHanger.jpg

duhvoodooman
October 13th, 2007, 05:03 PM
....Dreadman, like some others at the W forum, is considered a real asset.
What a coincidence! Around here, I'm considered a real a$$****! :D

Anyway, impressive collection there, Dreadman, and we're happy to have you, your collection, and your obviously considerable knowledge & experience here at TheFret! :AOK:

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 05:07 PM
....and......

Thanks to to everyone for the warm greetings. It feels very welcoming here.

Thanks also to my buds for the kind words about my skills. I'll try not to make liars out of y'all. :D (I picked up the "y'all" thing from Shiner. It's actually a pretty handy word. Even got to use it live a few times during my recent visit to Texas. Thanks bud.)

just strum
October 13th, 2007, 05:33 PM
I'd pay a visit to a leper colony if you invited me bud. It's just that when I got back from vacation I found that a bunch of smart *** customers had sent me a bunch of work. :messedup:

Work?.....yes, all the time.
Sleep?.......almost never. :)

I read your posts about your recent trip, I wish I had followed you - sounds like a hell of a trip.

Oh, and to everyone - I want to correct my wording in my welcoming Dreadman to the forum - I didn't invite anyone here, it was more of a recommendation. All of the people from Washburn forum that are here now, checked it out first and the forum layout and the people are what made it inviting.

Rocket
October 13th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I didn't invite anyone here, it was more of a recommendation.
Strum sent me an email and threatened to bust up all my guitars and hunt down my children if I didn't join FretNet and abandon all other forums... No kidding!

just strum
October 13th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Strum sent me an email and threatened to bust up all my guitars and hunt down my children if I didn't join FretNet and abandon all other forums... No kidding!

See, that's not an invitation.

Keep the truth to a minimum, I'm getting ready to change my name to Reverend Strum - my new image.

Rocket
October 13th, 2007, 09:18 PM
I'm getting ready to change my name to Reverend Strum - my new image.
You could use one... the old one is wearin' thin. (Image... not hairline!)

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Here's Strum "recommending" thefret to Rocket....
http://scott.club365.net/uploaded_images/preacher%20small-756593.GIF

just strum
October 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Here's Strum "recommending" thefret to Rocket....

Hey, it worked.

Tone2TheBone
October 13th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Welcome Dreadman and all the peeps of Washburn. :)

Guitar Gal
October 15th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Nice to see you here Dread :DR

GG

warren0728
October 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM
welcome Dreadman....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake:

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I missed your intro Dread.

Welcome & I'm with T-Ross you 'burnies have got me jonesing anew for a 'coustic.

mrmudcat
October 15th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Welcome brother,I feel liberated that I can talk about and show other guitars besides washburns:eek:

Dreadman
October 16th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Welcome brother,I feel liberated that I can talk about and show other guitars besides washburns:eek:Yeah, and no Browndog to delete "negative" posts. LOL What a wang.

Dreadman
October 16th, 2007, 12:22 AM
welcome Dreadman....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be toleratedThanks Warren. I haven't happened upon the post that made you so famous yet but I'm sure it's something perfectly reasonable. :messedup:

Dreadman
October 16th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Hi GG. Cool smiley. :DR :DR :DR

....and thanks again to all the OTFP (original thefret people) for the welcomes!

Brian Krashpad
October 16th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Always room for another W!

Dubya, on the other hand, I'm not so fond of.

;)

Welcome.

Kazz
December 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM
Hey Dread...what is that 335 or Dot style guitar on the far right of your hanger system....I love that wood grain.....I probably asked this at the other place....but...lord who knows....my memory sucks.

Dreadman
February 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry Kazz. I haven't been around here in a while and missed your post.

It's a Tokai semi and I have no idea of the model name or number. It's all mahogany and the grain pattern is spectacular, dark and light stripes that glisten like 3D - top, back and sides. It's very well made in every respect and best of all I paid $150 new on ebay. The only drawback is that the cutaways could be a little bigger. You can still get to the last fret but you feel the body on the back of your hand.

murph
February 13th, 2008, 11:24 PM
Dreadman, welcome to the forum. I was wondering if you would make the jump,since there are so many other Washburn forum-ites (is that a word?) on this forum. I'm looking forward to having you share your expertise with us. To others on this forum I share Strums and Dugly's sentiments that they have expressed about your addition to this forum.
Welcome aboard.

Murph

Dreadman
February 14th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I was wondering if you would make the jump
Thanks for the welcome Murph. I actually got here about four months ago though, just haven't posted much.

I like the environment here much better than over at the W forum, I just have to get used to navigating 21 sections! :thwap:

mrmudcat
February 14th, 2008, 01:27 AM
Yea Murph........ Just Strum, Dread, Rocket and a few others made the jump first (the writing has been on the wall over yonder for awhile;nuff said) I am so glad those mentioned graciously thought of me and took time to invite me here,it has become home:beer: :beer:

You just hang out in the mods and repair section Dread!! Is there an accoustic section around here...........;) ........havent found that section yet!:dude:

wingsdad
February 14th, 2008, 09:06 AM
...I like the environment here much better than over at the W forum, I just have to get used to navigating 21 sections! :thwap:
Yo, D-man... Good to c-ya back here. :D
There may be a lot of sections to peruse, but at least the patrons of this pub don't throw empty bottles at each other... ;)

Dreadman
February 14th, 2008, 01:12 PM
There may be a lot of sections to peruse, but at least the patrons of this pub don't throw empty bottles at each other... ;)LOL Yeah, I think I've been hit with enough of those. :thwap:

Good to see ya Wings.

YerDugliness
February 15th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Good to see you here, Dread :bravo: !

With what's happened at the other end of the world lately, I suspect this place may become even more populated by "Washouts".

[edit--Gadzooks, I see I posted a welcome on the first page--guess retirement hasn't done much for my memory!! :thwap: ]

Dugly :cool:

piebaldpython
February 15th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Yo Dread, nice to see ya again pal!!! :bravo:

Dreadman
February 15th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Good to see you too Piebald.

Dug - If the worst thing about your memory is that you greet me twice you're doing just fine. Nice to see you too.

Oh yeah, one more thing Dug - Nice to see you too. LOL