PDA

View Full Version : The Right Hand Technique Thread

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Ok guys, I respectfully ask for your help. I searched the forum and did not find a thread focusing on this aspect of technique specifically. During Spudman's recent visit, he properly spotted that I could use some improvement in my right hand technique, across the board, but I think particularly in strumming. I can tend to be over exuberant in my motions. If anyone has some tips that helped them develop a good, efficient and accurate right hand, could you share them please? I am looking for simple self checks, mental images and reminders one can use. (OK, I was going to ignore the lower based humor possible in this thread, but after that last sentence, I am going to say: No comments from the Peanut gallery.:rotflmao: )

Having reviewed the forum archives, I have come up with two specific issues that Spud already alerted me to that dictate how good your technique ends up. These are things I am interested in, but I do not want to limit this thread to these two issues.

First, how I am holding the pick. Robert's lesson on that topic on dolphinstreet and Spud are helpful there, but I welcome other comments. I struggle with not leaving too much pick exposed, and with keeping the tip of my index finger bent instead of more extended and flat. I suppose that is just practice. Tips please.

Second, rhythm techniques. In this thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3451), Jimi75 said this:

I figured out that so many people do not have the groove, because they do not understand the right hand technique. Whether you play a left hand lick or not does is not that important for first, if we are talking basics. Creating a percussive pattern with the right hand slowed down is where the basics start. Then for me after having the technique and getting used to the lose ankle movement, I would add a 7th chord, which implements the typical sound. Only after that a lick would follow. So if your lesson is determined for "beginners" I would make it a three part funk lesson, because the rather quick start of your video could be a little confusing to somebody who is not familiar with that technique.

Any tips here? I have been playing steadily now for a year and almost a half, and am moving along, but feel I really want to dial in this area of my technique so I can move from beginner world to more intermediate, or whatever. Plus, it will be fun to play more rhythms. Right now, I often find myself stuck in a basic down, down, up, up, down pattern.

Thanks guys for anything you can share. :beer:

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Rather than get too hung up on my wordy question, you can also just spout out what helps you with your strumming/picking hand technique. (Note politically correct inclusion of members that do not strum or pick with their right hand. :pancake )

aeolian
October 13th, 2007, 09:11 PM
This may sound irrelevant, but it may help: what kind of pick do you use?

I recommend you get some Dunlop Jazz III picks (there are black and red one, I prefer the red ones) and try playing with them (I recommend them only for electric guitars, by the way). These are quite a bit smaller than regular picks like Fender picks, they are also quite thick. You mention that you play with too much pick exposed, being small they will not allow you to do that. The other benefits are that they will let you pick with more precision and they will also make your instrument sound better.

When you first use them they will feel awkward, but in my case they helped a great deal after I got used to them. It only took a few day for me to get used to them.

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I'll look for one and give it a try.

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 11:07 PM
There are a lot of subtle mechanics in picking technique. This may be over-analyzing it but here are a few things to think about.

- When holding a pick it should be almost perpendicular to your thumb (pointing out the side of the thumb, not the tip) and maybe 1/16" - 1/8" showing beyond the side of your thumb.

- By extending and retracting your thumb and forefinger you can alter how much pick sticks out. This happens to some extent in the course of normal playing but can be exaggerated for strong, clean notes vs. notes with harmonics.

- There are at least three different ranges of motion working together when you're picking - elbow hinging, forearm rotating and thumb pushing.

- Most of the time one, two or all three of the unused fingers on your picking hand should be making some kind of contact with the guitars body. Not planted firmly, just making contact and sliding freely as needed. That gives your picking hand some kind of reference point.

Now most importantly - all of these things should be occurring when you're playing but you shouldn't be conscious of any of them. The only thing you should be conscious of is which string(s) you're picking and even that will leave the front of your mind in time. Just check yourself from time to time to make sure you're not leaving anything out.

sunvalleylaw
October 13th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Thanks Dreadman. Good tips. Anything more on the three types of motion? Any type of mental imagery or goal in mind? I get that it should become unconscious, but as a certified ski instructor, I like to analyze motions, break them down and practice them, then let the muscle memory, etc. take over and do self checks once in a while as you say.

Re: contact with the guitar by the unused fingers, what about resting part of the palm as a reference and to use for muting as necessary?

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 11:42 PM
I find that even when palm muting my extra fingers (extra fingers??) are still resting on the body, but closer to or even touching the high "E" string.

If I can find my video camera I'll make a quick vid demonstrating the things I wrote above.

Fingers
October 14th, 2007, 03:02 AM
Is this the ultimate approach to laid back, cool right handed technique?

zzoKZGoOgSc

YerDugliness
October 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Well, you mentioned fingersytle, so I'll chime in here. I played classical guitars for 32 years before I picked up a pick (that happened 3 years ago), and in those few years I managed to learn a trick or two.

First, Dread is right about anchoring the hand to the top of the guitar--I do it with light touch of the pinky. Be careful when playing acoustic guitar, though, and particularly classical guitars, that you don't press too hard. More on that later.

Another tip I might offer is to NOT relax the arm. Sounds counter productive, doesn't it? I thought so, too, till I tried it with the bicep tensed. I mean, rock hard tensed, not just slightly. What I found from this exercise was increased speed and consistency from the fingers. Give it a try, but don't expect it to come easy at first. Once I realized how much better my playing sounded with the bicep hardened, it took a few months for it to become second nature.

Third, don't become what I call "Mel Bay bound", and by that I mean don't dedicate certain fingers to certain strings. While I primarily use the thumb and first 3 fingers, much like the Mel Bay technique, the difference is that I'll move the hand so that the index & middle fingers can pluck on the 5th and 4th strings when it is handy--it opens up a wide range of tonal combinations.

Plucking is another issue--when finger picking, if you just move the strings parallel to the top of the guitar, you'll get a thin tone. Practice plucking the strings in a manner that pushes them toward the body of the guitar slightly, which in essence changes the direction in which the strings vibrate the air, and I think you'll notice a much richer tone. Another tip is to keep your fingernails fairly short, not as short as the left hand (for us right handed players), but not as long as you'll see on some players. Using a touch on the strings that combines a bit of the finger tip with the fingernail will yield much more control over the string.

OK--I said more later on pressing on the guitar, so here is perhaps the best advice I can offer. If you're playing primarily electric, using a strap, this won't help, but if you are fingering sitting down, pay very particular attention to your posture. Watch a classical guitarist sometime--they assume a certain posture, with the left foot on a stand (I use my guitar case for my left foot), that allows the guitar to sit on the left leg without having to be held in any manner. In fact, if you ask a good classical guitarist how they hold their guitar, they will say they don't, they balance it. This means the guitar should not be touching your body, and your arm should not be resting on the guitar, nor should you use a heavy touch with the pinky to anchor your hand. The intent here is to allow the guitar to resonate, displaying it's unique voice, as you play. Of particular importance is the position of the left hand--watch a classical guitarist in action and you'll realize that he leans "into" the guitar, slightly forward, which has the purpose of aligning his elbow vertically below the neck of the guitar, and their thumb will never leave the center of the back of the neck. What this does is open up the left hand to allow for better fretting of the strings. OK, it's not right hand technique, but once you try this, you'll realize you can fret the strings easier and that will allow you to focus more on the right hand.

All this doesn't come quickly, particularly when you realize how many things I've mentioned here, but I can assure you that once you manage to combine it all, you'll find it very technically correct and the sound you elicit from your guitar will improve exponentially.

Good luck--as for using a pick, well, I find that I have a hard time relaxing the wrist enough to get some of the more rapid strumming patterns down. I'm working on it--I guess I have another 30 years or so to get that one down.

Dugly :cool: