PDA

View Full Version : hummm!!!!

vroomery
October 13th, 2007, 03:00 PM
So i have a crazy obnoxious hum on my tele. I'm pretty sure its not a grounding issue, but I have shielded the control cavity and put some shielding tape on the underside of the pickguard and it still hums like crazy. Is my only choice to go w/ noiseless pickups? Or would it work as well to go w/ a neck noiseless pickup and a hot rails bridge pickup to get some beefier tones on the bridge?

Justaguyin_nc
October 13th, 2007, 03:36 PM
The best pedal I own does get rid of hum... from anything..
I have a tv , cells, wireless connections.. lamps, lights etc etc.. and this kills it all..
including leaving those noisy pedals on..
they are silent till needed.
while not taking away from the sound when needed.

a wonderful item, well worth every dollar...

Boss NS-2
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3589

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSNS2

:beer:

Tim
October 13th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Is your guitar near your computer?

just strum
October 13th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Is it the guitar or the amp that picks up the interference from the other electronics? I use three different guitars next to my computer and my amp is probably 10 feet away, but I don't have any interference.

Tim, are you definitely sure it's the guitar? I had a 15W Fender amp that would be effected by just about anything electrical that was nearby.

duhvoodooman
October 13th, 2007, 04:57 PM
You should definitely read through THIS THREAD (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3293)....

Justaguyin_nc
October 13th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Hmm that thread didn't come to a conclusion?

Robert... How did you get your tele to quit humming?

vroomery
October 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM
yes what was the solution!!

i took everything off and checked all the connections and grounds...don't have a meter so i didn't do that, but everything looked good to me and i didn't see signs of a ground loop

i have ordered a new 6 saddle bridge to replace my 3 saddle for intunation so i have some time to work on it while the bridge is en route, but i really wanna get this fixed as soon as i can

i'm thinking i might as well go ahead and order some fender noiseless pups or the dimarzio vintage t's...i think it might be a cool sound for what i'm doing to have a noiseless in the neck and a hot rails in the bridge...would the hot rails be as quiet as the noiseless pups?

Dreadman
October 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Hey Vroom - Do you have any fluorescent lights on in the room, or even in the house? They can contribute a lot to hum/noise.

vroomery
October 14th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Hey Vroom - Do you have any fluorescent lights on in the room, or even in the house? They can contribute a lot to hum/noise.

i live in a dorm room so theres bound to be fluorescent light somewhere around here...would that really make that much of a difference?

Robert
October 14th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I took mine to a guitar tech and had him rewire it from scratch...:o

It works like a charm now.

Dreadman
October 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM
i live in a dorm room so theres bound to be fluorescent light somewhere around here...would that really make that much of a difference?In some cases, yes. I don't remember exactly what it is about them but fluorescents are the source of a lot of electrical interference, not just in guitars/amps. Unfortunately, if that is the problem I don't know the solution. Maybe next time you're visiting someone off campus you could bring your gear and try it there.

Justaguyin_nc
October 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM
In some cases, yes. I don't remember exactly what it is about them but fluorescents are the source of a lot of electrical interference, not just in guitars/amps. Unfortunately, if that is the problem I don't know the solution. Maybe next time you're visiting someone off campus you could bring your gear and try it there.

Boss NS-2... it removes everything... :spank:

Rocket
October 14th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Unshielded dimmers play havoc with singles too.

Justaguyin_nc
October 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I was off searching for NS-2 demos..
to try to help out with what may cure your problem..

this guy has some good videos on Humm..
power supplies.. different everyone of them..
Also compares a NS-2 to ISP noisegate
Watch all his noise videos..
pretty good..

aSCUb4FCmI8

ok..I'll be silent now..:)

Edit: never asked..but is this your only electric? or are others silent?

vroomery
October 14th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I just turned everything in my room off including my computer and all the lights and it still hummed like crazy. Then i went and got my suite mate's ibanez with 2 humbuckers and it was pretty quiet. It's definitely something with the guitar. I took the control plate of and rechecked all of the grounding and wiring...took the output jack out and check the wiring. Then i took the bridge off sense i have a 6 saddle bridge in the mail and the ground to the bridge and to the pickups are all solid. It's just got to be these stupid single coil pickups.

vroomery
October 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM
oh and the ns-2 is a cool deal, but it bugs me how it fades in on the first strike, and it doesn't kill buzz while you're playing either if i remember correctly...could be wrong about that though

i just want my guitar to be quiet! haha

Rocket
October 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM
These are long-known issues with singles. Have you tried some new Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pups.

marnold
October 14th, 2007, 02:40 PM
I just turned everything in my room off including my computer and all the lights and it still hummed like crazy. Then i went and got my suite mate's ibanez with 2 humbuckers and it was pretty quiet. It's definitely something with the guitar.
You're comparing apples and oranges. Humbuckers do exactly that: buck hum. Single coils (with the exception of noiseless ones, most of which have a dummy coil to buck hum whilst maintaining the single coil sound) do not. Find someone who has a single coil-equipped guitar and try it. Shielding will help, but never totally eliminate hum. In a dorm, there's always going to be some electro-magnetic interference from fluorescents, computers, T.V.s, your buddy's neon Budweiser sign, etc.

Does it hum as bad with the switch in the middle position? Most Teles are humbucking in that position. If it still hums just as badly in that position, you most likely have a wiring issue.

If it does turn out to be plain single coil hum and you want to go noiseless, check out the Dimarzio Area 58 and 61 (http://www.guitarworld.com/article/dimarzio_area_58_and_area_61_pickups). They sound very sweet. Edit: When I added this paragraph I didn't stop to think that you have a Tele. These are Strat pups. Doh!

Spudman
October 14th, 2007, 03:00 PM
One thing that hasn't been addressed so far is your cable. Make sure you have a high quality instrument cable then plug just the guitar and cable into the amph and see what happens.

vroomery
October 14th, 2007, 03:09 PM
i am pretty sure its not the cable, I used many different ones when i first noticed the problem and still got the same result. Thats interesting that you bring up whether or not it hums in middle position. It does hum in all 3 positions. Maybe its just piece of crap wiring. It is a highway one and i've heard that wiring and pickups are the two main places they downgrade from the all american models.

Justaguyin_nc
October 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM
oh and the ns-2 is a cool deal, but it bugs me how it fades in on the first strike, and it doesn't kill buzz while you're playing either if i remember correctly...could be wrong about that though

i just want my guitar to be quiet! haha

Oh yeah the cable.. powersupply.. pedals.. so many things..
then the natural humm of the single coil beast!
I hated mine next to the computer and tv..

I can understand that! A guitar should be quiet..

I did have a black and Chrome tele
that I put fender noiseless pickups into:
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=7&page=7

It did take away the hum...
and those pickups sound good to me...
But I sold it anyways... for a strat purchase I think?
Again though.. if you go with a strat later your back to hum..
so eventually, if add in a bunch of pedals etc,
some sort of noisegate thingy will pop up as needed..
you don't hear the buzz-humm while your playing anyways
with a ns-2 as your making a racket already..:)
The first strike thing is very very minimal..

vroomery
October 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Alright I think I'm going to order a set of fender noiseless pups and see if that does that trick. I might just take the pups and guitar to my local music shop when I get them and let them rewire everything. Does anyone know how much that usually runs? Would it be more cost effective to take some time to practice soldering and then do the job myself?

Tone2TheBone
October 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM
If you don't know how to solder at the moment just pay extra for the install that way you can spend your time playing and enjoying the new pickups. If you go with the Fender Noiseless and like the traditional Fender pickup sound try the Vintage Noiseless set instead of the Hot Noiseless.

Robert
October 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Do consider the DiMarzio Virtual T and/or Virtual Hot T if you want noiseless pickups. I am very happy with my Virtual T's.

Spudman
October 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
If you go with the Fender Noiseless and like the traditional Fender pickup sound try the Vintage Noiseless set instead of the Hot Noiseless.

If you do go with Vintage Noiseless be sure to run them close to the top of the body away from the strings. You'll get your best sounds that way.
As an aside, many of the Guitar Center locations sell way more Hot Noiseless than the Vintage model. Do plenty of research before you buy.

Robert's suggestion is very valid as well and you can hear his sounds at http://www.dolphinstreet.com/

marnold
October 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM
I played a guitar with the Virtual Hot T in the bridge and it was VERY nice sounding. It's definitely hotter than the standard Virtual T, but I didn't think it was overwhelmingly so. Definitely no ice pick there!

vroomery
October 21st, 2007, 12:34 AM
A few updates over the last few days. I ordered today the Fender SCN Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Tele Pups Set and a 6 saddle bridge for intonation. Heard really good things about the pups so we'll see how thats goes. Then I ordered a black pickguard because it doesn't matter how it sounds if it don't look right haha. And I also ordered a fulltone full drive 2 mosfet. After the pups get in i'm taking the guitar to a guitar tech and having him rewire it from scratch. Hopefully, after all that, my baby will finally be set up right.

mrmudcat
October 21st, 2007, 09:21 AM
i am pretty sure its not the cable, I used many different ones when i first noticed the problem and still got the same result. Thats interesting that you bring up whether or not it hums in middle position. It does hum in all 3 positions. Maybe its just piece of crap wiring. It is a highway one and i've heard that wiring and pickups are the two main places they downgrade from the all american models.

This is completely wrong.I dont want to get into a debate but the only cost cutting involved on highway 1 is just the finish.Have you tried plugging in the amp in different places?? Internal "house wiring" is cause for lots of trouble. Lastly a typical noise gate like the boss kills noise between guitar and amp thats it.There are a few products that go between outlet and amp(noise filter plugs into wall) that handle this kind of hum.(house wiring):deadhorse:

Here are a few examples.Even if im late coming to the party.:Dude:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/browse--2757

vroomery
October 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
This is completely wrong.I dont want to get into a debate but the only cost cutting involved on highway 1 is just the finish.Have you tried plugging in the amp in different places?? Internal "house wiring" is cause for lots of trouble. Lastly a typical noise gate like the boss kills noise between guitar and amp thats it.There are a few products that go between outlet and amp(noise filter plugs into wall) that handle this kind of hum.(house wiring):deadhorse:

Here are a few examples.Even if im late coming to the party.:Dude:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/browse--2757

Yeah man I am pretty sure that there is dirty power in my dorm room, but I'm just covering all my bases because once I get my set up outside of my dorm I don't want 60 cycle hum either. I'd also like to get my guitar set up professionally too since i got the 6 saddle bridge. Intonation is key. Thanks for your help though. I will probably end up getting a gate pedal of some sort eventually, but not now.

Spudman
October 21st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Good job on getting the Fulldrive Mosfet. :beer:

Now before your expectations are let down, be sure to give that pedal a couple of months of playing with it. It really is a fantastic pedal. Initially some users are underwhelmed by the pedal but if you just give it a chance you'll find that magic that it has. It can be a subtle pedal but once you have it for a while you'll be hooked. A very smart investment. :AOK:

vroomery
October 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
Good job on getting the Fulldrive Mosfet. :beer:

Now before your expectations are let down, be sure to give that pedal a couple of months of playing with it. It really is a fantastic pedal. Initially some users are underwhelmed by the pedal but if you just give it a chance you'll find that magic that it has. It can be a subtle pedal but once you have it for a while you'll be hooked. A very smart investment. :AOK:

Yeah I think this is gonna be my last purchase for at least a short bit so I can get used to it all and find out what I do and don't like about everything.

duhvoodooman
October 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
Good job on getting the Fulldrive Mosfet.....Initially some users are underwhelmed by the pedal but if you just give it a chance you'll find that magic that it has. It can be a subtle pedal but once you have it for a while you'll be hooked....
Spuds is right on the mark here. I have a pair of MOSFET clippers in my ZYS, and it gives a really nice smooth, bluesy tone. Certainly not an "in your face" overdriven tone, but with an impressive richness and warmth to it that you just don't get from the silicon diode clippers in most OD pedals. If you're used to playing through more aggressive overdrive/distortion pedals, the MOSFETs may seem very tame by comparison. But give them a chance--they'll grow on you. The tone is the closest to that of a tube amp pushed to the point of saturation that I've heard from a pedal.

chordshredder
October 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Check out this dissertion on tele shielding.

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/tele.php

Make sure the added shielding is attached to ground by checking the resistance, should not be more than few tenths of ohm. If the added shield on the pickguard is floating it can act as an antenna for noise, opposite your intended desire. FTW I have a squire tele, not shielded doesnt hum, but most of my strats had to have shielding added.

chordshredder
October 22nd, 2007, 09:30 PM
Here is the Eny Bear Link that is the other most popular shielding linkie:

http://www.stocklogic.com/nohum/index2.html

This one relies on contact pressure, copper is subject to surface oxidizing so I cant recommend that but it would be ok if he had connected the shielding to ground with wires.