PDA

View Full Version : Strings and sound

tjcurtin1
October 13th, 2007, 06:05 PM
In the short time I've had my steel string - an Art & Lutherie cedar top wiht cherry sides and back - I've been surprised by how much the sound is changed by the strings. I first put on Martin Mrquis 1100's, and found the sound inproved over whatever was on the guitar when I got it. Then I tried some John Pearce Silk and Steels, which gave a clearer sound on the low E string, but some odd harmonics on the upper strings on certain chords. Now I have Dean Markley Alchemy's on - much louder and brighter, but again the low E is not so clear.

I don't know why, but I wouldn't have expected such a great difference; I have a professionsal guitarist friend who, when asked what he uses on his Taylor responded, "Whatever's on sale." I haven't yet noticed such a difference with my electrics.

My question is, when you go to try out a guitar in a store, how do you judge the sound when it may sound so much different with different strings, and when a guitar your'e comparing it to may have different strings?