cNVNaNFoEaw

dHocqUbyE_g

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Another one:

GVqiORGgEWE

Ro3b
October 15th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Oh, man. Have you seen their website (http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/index.htm)? I want an Ichiban, and a Town & Country DLX, and a Wandre, and yeah, a Tuxedo too.

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Oh, man. Have you seen their website (http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/index.htm)? I want an Ichiban, and a Town & Country DLX, and a Wandre, and yeah, a Tuxedo too.
Yup! Have you taken a look at the Joey Leone Signature RBC?

http://www.myrareguitars.com/joeyleonerbc2007.html

How does one coil-split a P90?

kerc
October 15th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I gotta keep myself away from the Eastwood website. Those things are just too damn sweet!

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I gotta keep myself away from the Eastwood website. Those things are just too damn sweet!
It might bite into your Rev budget, eh kerc ;).

t_ross33
October 15th, 2007, 11:35 AM
How does one coil-split a P90?

Like this? :saw:

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Like this? :saw:

Coool! I'll take it!

kerc
October 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM
It might bite into your Rev budget, eh kerc ;).

Shhhh. :D

Ro3b
October 15th, 2007, 12:16 PM
They say it's a tap and not a split. It's possible to coil-tap a single-coil pickup; I just haven't ever heard of it being done. What a beautiful guitar.

Riley
October 15th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Sweet guitars, they sound great!!!!! 8)

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 12:52 PM
They say it's a tap and not a split. It's possible to coil-tap a single-coil pickup; I just haven't ever heard of it being done. What a beautiful guitar.
When you tap a single coil do you effectively remove some of the windings from the circuit?

Yes, it's too rich for my blood, but if I had the scratch, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Here's a clip of the RBC

77i3Asj8chk

Sweet guitars, they sound great!!!!! 8)

Hey Riley, are you talking about the Tuxedo, the RBC, or Eastwood guitars in general?

Have you'd played a Tuxedo?

Another Tuxedo clip:

xQ49x0j3EoI

marnold
October 15th, 2007, 03:18 PM
You can't tap a single coil pickup (P90s are single coils) unless it's a hum-canceling one. Then tapping it will tap the dummy coil and make it a true single coil once again, but eliminate any hum cancellation.

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 03:32 PM
You can't tap a single coil pickup (P90s are single coils) unless it's a hum-canceling one. Then tapping it will tap the dummy coil and make it a true single coil once again, but eliminate any hum cancellation.
The site says that the pups on the Eastwood RBC are P90s and that each of the three pups has a 3-way toggle switch: Off/On/Coil-Tap.

Why can't you just connect a wire, say, half-way through the windings and another at the end of the windings as usual. Depending on which is connected to the circuit you get a hotter, midrangy P90 sound or a thinner more standard single coil sound?

This is what I think R03b is talking about.

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be possible to wire up a continuously variable connection & so bring windings in & out of the circuit at will? Dial it down for vintage underwound single-coil sounds, or up for xtra-hot P90 snarl.

I'll bet it could be done.

mrmudcat
October 15th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Have you seen this?
http://www.stellartone.com/Page.asp?NavID=76

Might be easier:Dude:

mrmudcat
October 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM
On the model you question.I will say these(pups) are stacked as mentioned above and that is what the coil tap is referring to:munch:

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Have you seen this?
http://www.stellartone.com/Page.asp?NavID=76

Might be easier:Dude:

Nope, I haven't. It looks cool.

I wasn't planning on building a continuous tap only wondering whther such a thing was possible.

On the model you question.I will say these(pups) are stacked as mentioned above and that is what the coil tap is referring to:munch:

O, so one pup atop the other, but wired in phase?

tunghaichuan
October 15th, 2007, 05:31 PM
The site says that the pups on the Eastwood RBC are P90s and that each of the three pups has a 3-way toggle switch: Off/On/Coil-Tap.

Why can't you just connect a wire, say, half-way through the windings and another at the end of the windings as usual. Depending on which is connected to the circuit you get a hotter, midrangy P90 sound or a thinner more standard single coil sound?

Some Schecter single coil pickups from the early 80s had this feature. I used to own a set. The tap is just what it says, a wire soldered somewhere along the winding. So basically the tap switch selects between a lower output "vintage" sound (less windings, part of the coil) and a hot overwound SC pickup sound (full coil).

tung

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Some Schecter single coil pickups from the early 80s had this feature. I used to own a set. The tap is just what it says, a wire soldered somewhere along the winding. So basically the tap switch selects between a lower output "vintage" sound (less windings, part of the coil) and a hot overwound SC pickup sound (full coil).

tung
That was my guess. Did the vintage-thing work well, or did it only approximate the tone as tapped 'buckers are thought to do.

tunghaichuan
October 15th, 2007, 05:39 PM
That was my guess. Did the vintage-thing work well, or did it only approximate the tone as tapped 'buckers are thought to do.

It worked as advertised. In one position the guitar was sc-vintage tone. In the other, hot overwound sc tone.

tung

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM
It worked as advertised. In one position the guitar was sc-vintage tone. In the other, hot overwound sc tone.

tung
Wow! Sounds cool, why haven't I heard of them before?

tunghaichuan
October 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Wow! Sounds cool, why haven't I heard of them before?

It's been a while since I owned those pickups, but it seems to me that the tonal difference wasn't that dramatic.

There is an entry in Guitar Electronics for Musicians by Donald Brosnac (published in 1983, ISBN: 0711902321) concerning Schecter and tapped pickups:

"Schecter Guitar Research is a young company which was founded by David Schecter in 1976. David has had extensive experience repairing and customizing Fender guitars and became very knowledgeable about pickup construction. He has worked with and refined tapped pickup design. Tapped pickups have two coil windings in continous series. The first, or inside winding, produces the original Fender sound, whereas the second winding in combination with the first, creates a new sound. The second sound is characterized by higher volume, more bass, and increased sustain." (P. 41)

tung

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 06:06 PM
It's been a while since I owned those pickups, but it seems to me that the tonal difference wasn't that dramatic.

There is an entry in Guitar Electronics for Musicians by Donald Brosnac (published in 1983, ISBN: 0711902321) concerning Schecter and tapped pickups:

tung
That explains a lot. Thanks Tung!

tunghaichuan
October 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
That explains a lot. Thanks Tung!

Glad to help out.

Duncan makes a few tapped models:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/42

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/82

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/90

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/47

http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/88

tung

tot_Ou_tard
October 15th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Glad to help out.

Duncan makes a few tapped models:

Ah-ha! Thanks again Tung. Man I learned a lot in this thread.

marnold
October 15th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the info, Tung. I learned something today!

Jampy
October 16th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Did some looking on the Eastwood site, very nice guitars and they are only 20 or so minutes away from where I live, I wrote the president to see if I could visit there facility.. I'll let you know if he writes back..maybe I could bring a camera and take a few snaps..

SuperSwede
October 16th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I can definately confirm that Shecters coil tap(s?) sounds better than other brands.

tot_Ou_tard
October 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Did some looking on the Eastwood site, very nice guitars and they are only 20 or so minutes away from where I live, I wrote the president to see if I could visit there facility.. I'll let you know if he writes back..maybe I could bring a camera and take a few snaps..
Excellent Jampy! Make sure you get to play some of those beauts.

Jampy
October 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Excellent Jampy! Make sure you get to play some of those beauts.

I got a message back, I will keep in touch with the president and when my life calms down I will plan a trip out to see him..:beer:

tot_Ou_tard
December 6th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I got a message back, I will keep in touch with the president and when my life calms down I will plan a trip out to see him..:beer:
Did'ja play any Eastwoods yet?

I'm sorry, but the Tuxes keep calling me.

That or the Rev Manta Ray 290

(switched from drooling over a Club King 290).

tot_Ou_tard
December 18th, 2007, 08:45 PM
OK, either send me the money for this puppy or shoot me right now!

YnutK1HhY9E

ps3GDjmEyVI&feature=related

tot_Ou_tard
December 29th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Most of the rest of you don't care 'cause you're happy wallowing in the Fender/Gibson gene pool....but me wanty.

oldguy
December 30th, 2007, 07:14 AM
Most of the rest of you don't care 'cause you're happy wallowing in the Fender/Gibson gene pool....but me wanty.

I have no Gibsons, I do happen to own a Switch and a Wiburn, which are lesser known brands, and I feel for ya, bro.
And I think you better get one of these before you start acting weirdOOPS!..too late. Well, get one anyway...:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
August 9th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Voted most likely to be my next guitar:

KFhT8D7-rV8

tot_Ou_tard
August 18th, 2008, 05:25 AM
I played a sunburst Tuxedo through a Swart 6V6SE at a guitar store this weekend.

It was a sweet combo.

I really liked the looks, feel, & sound of this axe.

For the weight obsessed the thing is very light.

Brian Krashpad
August 19th, 2008, 05:25 AM

Hmm, well, I do have 2 Gibsons and an Epi. And 4 Fenders and 2 Squiers. And another couple Strat and Tele knockoffs that aren't Fender or Squier.

But even if one includes the knockoffs (a Peavey Strat and a Frankentele) that still leaves another eleven outside the gene pool.

In general I like the Eastwoods and certainly support his concept of reviving funky designs but produced with modern upgrades. New, however, his prices are a little high for what the guitars are. I definitely could see picking up one used. Wish he used a little less basswood though. A better cheap choice in many cases would be agathis.

tot_Ou_tard
August 19th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Hmm, well, I do have 2 Gibsons and an Epi. And 4 Fenders and 2 Squiers. And another couple Strat and Tele knockoffs that aren't Fender or Squier.

But even if one includes the knockoffs (a Peavey Strat and a Frankentele) that still leaves another eleven outside the gene pool.

In general I like the Eastwoods and certainly support his concept of reviving funky designs but produced with modern upgrades. New, however, his prices are a little high for what the guitars are. I definitely could see picking up one used. Wish he used a little less basswood though. A better cheap choice in many cases would be agathis.
Not you Krashpad, I know that you swim in other swamps as well.

The Tuxedo is a hollowbody with solid maple top & back & mahogany sides.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/tuxedo/tuxedo_frm.htm

tot_Ou_tard
April 22nd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Premier Guitar has a review of the Tuxedo:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2009/May/Eastwood_Guitars_Airline_Tuxedo_Guitar_Review.aspx

Brian Krashpad
April 23rd, 2009, 07:09 AM
Thread excavated!

I didn't realize it was a full hollow with no f-holes. Interesting. I wonder why they used higher-output P-90's instead of lower-output ones.

bigG
April 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM
I played a sunburst Tuxedo through a Swart 6V6SE at a guitar store this weekend.

It was a sweet combo.

I really liked the looks, feel, & sound of this axe.

For the weight obsessed the thing is very light.

tot, what'd you think of the Swart, honestly?

Holy cow, I see this was started in 2007! Am I late for the party, or what!:thwap:

Did you buy the guitar, mr. tot? Sounds great on the clips!

sumitomo
April 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM
Ya know that Tuxedo is the same tone as Roach Mulligan's old Silvertone.Sumi:D

tot_Ou_tard
April 23rd, 2009, 10:38 AM
Yeah Brian it's fully hollow. I think that the pups are based on the Barney Kessel model.

bigG: Yes, it sounded great, but I didn't get the guitar (got a Godin 5th Ave with a Lollar P90 instead).

Sumi: Players can only dream of sounding as good as Roach.