PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie

evenkeel
October 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Just got the invite from strum, and here I am. Another member of the Washburn invasion. Unlike Dreadman, I have no real skills or knowledge. Just a long history of mediocre guitar playing. Nearly 40 years messing about with guitars (ouch that hurts) and I'm still perplexed by most of the fretboard.

Home is St. Petersburg, Fl., sort of... the "sort of" is due to our current living quarters, our sailboat berthed in Annapolis, Md. But that's about to change as we're leaving town in a week to ten days, to head to the islands for the winter. It's all a bit confusing, mostly to me.

Back to guitars. Like many on the Washie forum, my playing over the years was sporadic at best. During our first period (2000 to 2006) of living and cruising on a boat I re-ignited my interest in playing. Met a bunch of other cruiser/guitar players who gave me a lot of encouragement. That led to beach jams, open mics and even playing in a duo for a short period. Now that we're back living aboard I'm really looking forward to re-connecting with my cruiser/guitar playing cronies.

The collection, w/o the latest addition to the family.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/IMG_0934.jpg

The newest member of the herd.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/evenkeel_album/Martin002.jpg

t_ross33
October 14th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Welcome aboard the SS FretNet mate!

Wow. I can't tell you how much I envy you sailing the islands as winter is about to set in here in the Great White North!

Sailboats. Fine acoustics. Sounds very Margaritaville to me :beer:

Look forward to your posts (and pictures, and clips... you must post clips :rotflmao: )

Trev

sunvalleylaw
October 14th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Welcome EvenKeel! I grew up within a view of salt water and that, and boating, is the one thing I miss about my mountain home. Have fun here!

just strum
October 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM
evenkeel,

Nice intro and welcome aboard. Glad to see that you got approved right away and able to post your intro.

Trev, I don't know how many times I read the comment about envy and unless you are afraid of water, you cannot help but to be envious.

evenkeel, I hope you don't mind me stealing some of your thunder, but I thought this would be interesting to the folks here - this is one of evenkeel's recent posts over at the Washburn forum.

"Anchored in Annapolis harbor is a beautifully restored old motor yacht, about 100 feet, called Blue Guitar. Hailing port, London. Current owner, Eric Clapton. No sightings of the owner, but for a guitar loving boaty, very cool."

Now when you can make a post like that, you are definitely living the good life.

ted s
October 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Welcome EvenK ! Neat intro for sure. Great place to hang out here.

Dreadman
October 14th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Hey Keel, good to see ya here. Tell the dolphins and the rum drinks I said hi.

If I win Powerball (lottery) keep your eye out for a big black sailboat with flame graphics. I'll be a joinin' ya.

YerDugliness
October 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Welcome aboard, Keel!! You'll definitely be in friendly waters here!

The natives seem to be quite knowledgable and helpful hereabouts; no war masks visible yet!

Yep, I agree with the rest, living the life of a sailing man is quite the dream! The closest I'll ever get is one of those Windjammer cruises, but that is definitely a possibility as I enter retirement later this year.

I've built a few homemade kayaks in the past and actually thought I might try a sailboat kit, until I saw the cost!!!!! OUCH!!

We'll be looking forward to hearing about your future ventures, both on the sea and in the field of music. How about a YouTube or two of your performances????

Dugly :cool:

duhvoodooman
October 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Welcome to TheFret, Mr. Keel. Happy to have you "aboard". Say "Hi!" to EC for me, if you bump into him.... :eek:

luvmyshiner
October 14th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Welcome Keel! So are you gonna' have internet access on your trip or do we have to wait four months for the pictures?

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Welcome to the fretnet Keel!

Trev, SS Fretnet has a nice ring to it.. I kinda like it somehow.

tot_Ou_tard
October 14th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome to the fretnet Keel!

Trev, SS Fretnet has a nice ring to it.. I kinda like it somehow.
Yes, welcome matey, but watch out fer the pirates...arrggghhh!

Robert
October 14th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Welcome Keel, Kewl to have ya here!

Justaguyin_nc
October 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Welcome keel!
Sounds like your enjoying life!
If not for my fear of sharks...
I would say it sounds perfect!!
I best stay on land...;)

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Yes, welcome matey, but watch out fer the pirates...arrggghhh!

ARrrrrrgh.. bring the the rhhhum.

evenkeel
October 15th, 2007, 03:58 AM
Welcome Keel! So are you gonna' have internet access on your trip or do we have to wait four months for the pictures?

Internet access is always sketchy at best. Here in Annapolis the city has a free wifi system. Essentially the deal is to steal signals whenever possible. We use a booster antennae called a cantennae. Looks like a pringles can on a tripod. Works very well.

Tone2TheBone
October 15th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Welcome. :)

warren0728
October 15th, 2007, 10:16 AM
welcome evenkeel....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

helliott
October 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Welcome aboard :beer:

Guitar Gal
October 15th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Nice to see you evenkeel :D

GG

Brian Krashpad
October 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Welcome EK!

I'm up in Gainesville FL myself. We have a few Floridians here.

By coincidence I also lived in (Anne Arundel county) Maryland a couple different times (Dad was USN and attached to NSA at Ft. Meade twice) as a kid, so I've been to Annapolis more than once.

M29
October 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Welcome evenkeel:AOK:

M29

oldguy
October 18th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Welcome to TheFret!:)

pes_laul
October 20th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Ok sorry I'm a little late on the welcome but....welcome:) so evenkeel what kind of music are you into?

:Dude: :Dude: :beer: :pancake :pancake

evenkeel
October 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Ok sorry I'm a little late on the welcome but....welcome:) so evenkeel what kind of music are you into?

:Dude: :Dude: :beer: :pancake :pancake

Typical old holky, folky stuff, Blues, rock. Dylan, Neil Young, John Prine, John Hiatt, The Byrds, Beatles (all the British invasion stuff). All the 70's singer songwriter folks, Joni Mitchell, Taylor, Jackson Browne. Big Stevie Ray, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Budddy Guy, BB King fan.

When I was a kid I (of course) hated all the stuff my parents listened to. Henry Mancini, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, Rosemary Clooney, big band music. Now I love it. Summer Wind, It's a wonderful World, Over the Rainbow/If I only had a Brain are on the set list.

I also hated country growing up. Now George Jones, Johnny Cash, Kris Kristofferson sound pretty great.