PDA

View Full Version : Greg Koch (rhymes with "chalk")

duhvoodooman
March 2nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
I've been very impressed by this guy, who I came across in a couple of Hal Leonard instructional DVD's. Very gifted guitarist, a real talent for teaching, and very, very witty. In addition to his teaching gigs and being a promotional artist for Fender, he records on Steve Vai's "Favored Nations" label. I swear, the guy can play ANY style and do it well. He's a real tone-master, too.

His current record release is called "Radio Free Gristle", and it's terrific, IMO. The CD is set up to simulate a radio station, complete with Greg as the head DJ, along with guests, social commentary, musical parody, and assorted weirdness. These narrative bits are interspersed with the music--mostly instrumentals--which still comprises the vast majority of the CD. Very entertaining stuff. If the bit called "Percy-itus Lemonsqueezosis" doesn't make you laugh out loud, you've got no sense of humor! The tunes range from merely good to really outstanding. My personal favorite is one called "Dry Ice", which is a tribute to Roy Buchanan. You'd swear you were listening to old Buch' himself. Just amazing. Check it out--you won't regret it!

warren0728
March 2nd, 2006, 08:14 PM
sounds great....i'll look for it tomorrow....hopefully borders will have it.

ww

warren0728
March 2nd, 2006, 08:18 PM
just checked online...my local borders doesn't have it...might have to order it online.

ww

Spudman
March 2nd, 2006, 08:35 PM
Voodoo
Sorry to burst your bubble (no offense), but his latest album is "4 Days In The South."

duhvoodooman
March 2nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
Voodoo
Sorry to burst your bubble (no offense), but his latest album is "4 Days In The South."
Well, live and learn! Looks like he's with a European label now and this is an import? In any case, something new to hunt down! Thanks, Spudman!