PDA

View Full Version : College Football

R_of_G
October 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM
So far this has been a very exciting season for college football, at least for me. As the polls currently stand, my alma mater, University of South Florida, is ranked #2. This means that should USF "run the table" and complete their season unbeaten, they should earn the right to play for the national title.

Should this happen, USF will make history becoming the first so-called "directional school" to win a national football championship. Before the corrections start on that one, University of Southern California and Southern Methodist University do not count as the term "directional school" is only applicable to public schools that are part of an overall state university system. Both of those schools are private universities.

That said, there are still challenges to USF remaining undefeated and getting this chance. Tomorrow [Thurs] they play Rutgers [at Rutgers] which will be a tough game. Additionally, #15 Cincinnati is just three weeks away.

The excitement keeps building. I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Go Bulls!:Dude:

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Go Nebraska!

I'm not much of a football watcher although I do enjoy getting the time to sit down and watch it with friends or family. I don't actively go out and look for the time to do it though. I'd rather play my guitars or go fishing...but yeah College football is da shite. Those guys PLAY FOOTBALL man. They aren't afraid to smash some heads and dive for those long passes or dive into the end zone all crazy. They make some spectacular plays. The kids are energetic, young, strong and broke and the fan base is just nuts. Far better candidates for REAL football than any pro team players.

R_of_G
October 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Go Nebraska!

Maybe bringing back Osborne [this time as A.D.] will get you back on the right track.

marnold
October 17th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Well, I'm a big Michigan fan. It's the one team I've rooted for that has always been easy to root for (my other teams are the various Michigan franchises: Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons). Their last losing season was the one before I was born (1967). The next year they hired a guy named Glenn Schembechler and the rest is history. Thus, I'm a fan of a traditional football powerhouse--the one that holds the NCAA Division IA all-time record for victories.

Having said that, I'd love to see USF do well. This isn't just because the more top teams that get bumped off, the better Michigan's disastrous loss to Appalachian State looks. I like it partially because new teams make things more exciting, so it's not always USC, LSU, et al at the top. I also like it because it gives most college football commentators seizures and shows how hopelessly stupid the writers' and coaches' polls are.

USF isn't like Boise State last year who basically played no one until they beat Oklahoma and one of the most wonderful plays ever. They've already beaten West Virginia and Auburn at Auburn. Granted, their schedule isn't exactly murderer's row either, but then again Ohio State could very well make it to the national championship game without playing a ranked opponent (assuming Michigan would slip up before that). Why not USF?

R_of_G
October 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Well, I'm a big Michigan fan. It's the one team I've rooted for that has always been easy to root for (my other teams are the various Michigan franchises: Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, Pistons). Their last losing season was the one before I was born (1967). The next year they hired a guy named Glenn Schembechler and the rest is history. Thus, I'm a fan of a traditional football powerhouse--the one that holds the NCAA Division IA all-time record for victories.

Having said that, I'd love to see USF do well. This isn't just because the more top teams that get bumped off, the better Michigan's disastrous loss to Appalachian State looks. I like it partially because new teams make things more exciting, so it's not always USC, LSU, et al at the top. I also like it because it gives most college football commentators seizures and shows how hopelessly stupid the writers' and coaches' polls are.

USF isn't like Boise State last year who basically played no one until they beat Oklahoma and one of the most wonderful plays ever. They've already beaten West Virginia and Auburn at Auburn. Granted, their schedule isn't exactly murderer's row either, but then again Ohio State could very well make it to the national championship game without playing a ranked opponent (assuming Michigan would slip up before that). Why not USF?

+1 for still being able to admit to being a Michigan fan. I'm still hoping there's a Big 10 team who has it in them to knock off Ohio St. I think USF and Boston College would make for a better title game should both remain unbeaten. It's just refreshing to see some different schools at the top of the pile. My sister is a USC grad and my brother went to Texas so I've had to deal with each of their schools winning titles recently. At least mine is on the map this year.

sunvalleylaw
October 17th, 2007, 10:38 AM

I am a University of Washington Husky fan. Have been since a kid. Had some great years in the 80s and 90s and haven't had a great deal to cheer about since. I think my favorite radio call of a game was listening to the Huskies beat Michigan in the '78 Rose Bowl in the old family wagon on the way back from the ski cabin. (I like Michigan over most other non-Pac-10 teams but not against my Huskies). I also loved the play when the Stanford band came out on the field before the end of the last play in a games aginst Cal, interfering with play, while the Cal player runs in the winning touch down while completely running over a hapless trombone player. LOL!!! I loved it! :rotflmao: :pancake

I love college ball way more than Pro, esp. when my Seahawks were "obviously" robbed of the Superbowl by the refs who were "obviously" paid off in a continuation of east coast and Chicago corruption. :reallymad:

Sorry R_of_G, not a big southern football fan. Those guys down there and in Texas tend to be just a little too rabid for this mellow Nor'wester. ;)

R_of_G
October 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Sorry R_of_G, not a big southern football fan. Those guys down there and in Texas tend to be just a little too rabid for this mellow Nor'wester. ;)

It's ok, I'm not really either. I grew up in the northeast, so I pretty much with the Big 10 and the Pac 10 on tv as those were the national broadcasts. I didn't move to Florida until I was 22, and I grew to rapidly loathe UF and FSU fans [particularly my time spent waiting tables in a sports bar having to deal with those people every saturday]. I attended USF in the earliest years of the football program's existence, so I was enthusiastic that there might some day exist a Florida team worth following. I had no idea that the program would develop this quickly, but it's been great to watch.

Also, you don't have to tell me about college ball being more compelling than the NFL these days. I'm a Jets fan. That pretty much says it all.:rotflmao:

marnold
October 17th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Also, you don't have to tell me about college ball being more compelling than the NFL these days. I'm a Jets fan. That pretty much says it all.:rotflmao:
As I posted, I'm a Lions fan, so I win. Or lose. Yeah, lose would be more accurate.

t_ross33
October 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I'll throw my .02 in here just cuz I'm a fan of the game overall. I also like college ball better, but I have absolutely no freakin' idea what teams are what down in the good ol' U S of A. And how they figure out who gets to play whom for a national title is way beyond me :rotflmao: That said, I love catching games on TV. You folks can be way more enthusiastic about your sports than us generally reserved Canucks (some say you're rabid, but hey it's all in good fun, eh?)

I'm a big fan of the Canadian Football League (CFL) and our own Saskatchewan Roughriders, who BTW are having a fantastic season! The game is slightly different than that played South of the Border, but it is a more exciting game (just my opinion, don't go all rabid on me :AOK: ). I have mixed feelings about Toronto bringing in an NFL franchise. Having lived in the Greater Toronto Area, I think it's great for football fans there - NFL has a big following and I'm sure the market can support it. I am however worried about the impact on smaller markets and our CFL teams.

GO GREEN!

As a quick aside, a good friend of mine from Calgary was the developer of Cutters (http://www.entrixsports.com) gloves, widely used in most markets now. I remember one Superbowl game, maybe 3 yrs ago - don't remember who was playing - where the receiver fumbled the ball in the end zone, ran back to the bench and removed the "brand name" gloves he had an endorsement contract with and switched to Cutters. The camera caught it all and my buddy was just over the moon! :Dude: He's a cool cat.

just strum
October 17th, 2007, 04:35 PM
My heart was broken last year (football and basketball) but I could not resist this thread.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/osu_logo.jpg

luvmyshiner
October 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Well, I'm a Baylor graduate, so as you can imagine, I don't watch much college football.:messedup:

CB bleeds burnt orange though, so I am occasionally forced to watch UT.

GO COWBOYS! Heh, heh.:Dude:

R_of_G
November 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
So here we towards the end of the most unpredictable college football season I have seen in a long time. USF finished at 9-3 and announced yesterday they will be playing in the Sun Bowl on New Year's Eve [against a yet to be determined PAC-10 opponent]. Though I had visions of a New Year's Day bowl in my head from their early season success, I have got to say that I am very proud the Bulls will be playing in a bowl game for the third straight year in only their 10th year of existence. Now I just hope Missouri can keep it together for one more game so Ohio St doesn't back into a national championship game without having played anyone of consequence.

just strum
November 28th, 2007, 04:54 PM
So here we towards the end of the most unpredictable college football season I have seen in a long time. USF finished at 9-3 and announced yesterday they will be playing in the Sun Bowl on New Year's Eve [against a yet to be determined PAC-10 opponent]. Though I had visions of a New Year's Day bowl in my head from their early season success, I have got to say that I am very proud the Bulls will be playing in a bowl game for the third straight year in only their 10th year of existence. Now I just hope Missouri can keep it together for one more game so Ohio St doesn't back into a national championship game without having played anyone of consequence.

Living in Ohio I am a Buckeye fan, but I don't like to see any team back into a championship game unless there are no unbeaten teams. That said, nothing wrong with a Rose Bowl.

R_of_G
November 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM
... unless there are no unbeaten teams. That said, nothing wrong with a Rose Bowl.

There are no unbeaten teams, but, should Missouri defeat Oklahoma on Saturday, they would finish with one loss. Of the teams with one loss, both Missouri and West Virginia played a much more challenging schedule than Ohio St. If Missouri loses, the argument becomes moot and Ohio St. becomes the next best opponent for West Virginia.

As for the Rose Bowl, they won the Big 10 and that is precisely where they should be playing, and that game always means something. Looks like both of our teams will be playing the PAC-10, only neither of us know exactly who until this saturday's games play out. This has been a bizarre season already, so I have no predictions.

just strum
November 28th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I thought there was still at least one unbeaten team, I guess I lost touch with the who's who.

Personally I don't think there should be a Championship game with the existing system (the endless argument). It seldom proves anything and an argument will always be made that the wrong teams were selected.

R_of_G
November 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM
I thought there was still at least one unbeaten team, I guess I lost touch with the who's who.

Personally I don't think there should be a Championship game with the existing system (the endless argument). It seldom proves anything and an argument will always be made that the wrong teams were selected.

Actually, I believe Hawaii finished unbeaten, but they don't play anybody, so they are ranked below many teams.

I agree that within the current system, the championship game is seldom, if ever, a true match of the country's two best teams. My father, brother and myself discussed this for many hours over the thanksgiving weekend. Nobody seems to have a fix-all solution, but we all agree that ranking teams at all before conference play is pointless and helps tilt the scales in favor of higher ranked teams to maintain those rankings. Personally, I say put the bowls back the way they used to be [ie. the traditional conference rivalries] and put them back on new year's day where they belong. after the bowls are over, have a playoff series similar to college basketball where the winners of all conferences are invited. this actually gives meaning to winning conference titles and may make some conferences [the big 10 for instance] institute a conference title game rather than relying solely on record which would make things more interesting.

all that said, if it turns out to be missori/w. virginia in the title game this year, that's probably as close as we could ask for.

just strum
November 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Nobody seems to have a fix-all solution, but we all agree that ranking teams at all before conference play is pointless and helps tilt the scales in favor of higher ranked teams to maintain those rankings.

I agree, as much as I like Ohio State, I could not understand the ranking early on or even just prior to the loss.

Personally, I say put the bowls back the way they used to be [ie. the traditional conference rivalries] and put them back on new year's day where they belong. after the bowls are over, have a playoff series similar to college basketball where the winners of all conferences are invited. this actually gives meaning to winning conference titles and may make some conferences [the big 10 for instance] institute a conference title game rather than relying solely on record which would make things more interesting.

Again, I agree. Like politics and religion, it's a subject that will be forever debated.

tot_Ou_tard
November 28th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I have never ever watched college football & probably never will.

I doesn't interest me at all.

Of course, I went to UC Santa Cruz as an undergraduate (no football team & the mascot was/is the bananna slug).

I went to graduate school at UC San Diego, it probably had a football team, but how would I know? ;)

That said, I hope those of you for whom it rings bells enjoy the season!

R_of_G
November 29th, 2007, 06:58 AM
With the schools my siblings and I went to it's difficult not to follow college football. Between undergrad and grad schools we have loyalties to USF, USC, Colorado, and Texas. Those teams almost always make it interesting.

bigoldron
November 29th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I didn't move to Florida until I was 22, and I grew to rapidly loathe UF and FSU fans [particularly my time spent waiting tables in a sports bar having to deal with those people every saturday].

I'm a "CrimiNoles" fan, even though they SUCK this year (and last year too). I agree, we can be obnoxious, but probably not as much as those Swamp Lizards from Gainesville. If you do have to loathe me, then do it like Elvis sang:

"Loathe me tender, Loathe me true..."

:messedup: :crazyguy: :poke:

R_of_G
November 29th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I'm a "CrimiNoles" fan, even though they SUCK this year (and last year too). I agree, we can be obnoxious, but probably not as much as those Swamp Lizards from Gainesville. If you do have to loathe me, then do it like Elvis sang:

"Loathe me tender, Loathe me true..."

:messedup: :crazyguy: :poke:

It has typically been my experience that Gator fans are FAR more obnoxious than Noles fans, and neither half as much as 'Canes' fans.

Bloozcat
November 29th, 2007, 10:27 AM
This post out of necessity, is going to be a little long, but here goes...

There is a solution to finding out who's the best college football team in the country, but the Grand Poobahs at BCS headquarters don't want to accept it. What is needed plain and simple, is a playoff system.

I've heard all the arguements against this, but none of them stand up to further scrutiny. If every other division in NCAA College Football can make a playoff system work, then so can Division 1-A.

The most often mentioned excuses for why a playoff system won't work, can be boiled down to these three:

1) A playoff system would make the season too long.
2) A playoff system would interfere with acedemics/semester finals.
3) A playoff system would cause a loss of revenue for the colleges.

Here's the reality that seems to elude the brain trust at the BCS (and some universities):

1) Almost every team has at least two chump games a season. It's like the college version of the NFL's pre-season. Drop the two chump teams from every schedule. Sorry, the chump teams will just have to find another way to increase their revenue other than by suffering their annual beating-for-cash at the hands of a major conference football team. And for all of those major conference schools who've used these chump teams to enhance their rankings, tough luck, that won't factor in any more. Even the conferences with a conference championship playoff game won't be affected any more than they are now.

2) Well, the season is now two games shorter because we've dropped the unnecessary and meaningless games. So, there's now room for a playoff without further encroaching on acedemics/semester finals, as I'll illustrate further down the line.

3) A playoff system would cause a loss of revenue for the colleges? And here I thought that colleges were institutes of higher learning. The truth is that every playoff game would be a sellout, and very much like a bowl game in and of itself. Just the mere chance that any team in the playoff could go all the way to the big game, would draw fans like flies to garbage. And if the team happens to win in the first round, they advance to the next level, and the frenzy only increases. Keeping in mind that most teams will be eliminated from the playoff rather quickly, there's no reason why there still can't be bowl games to play. Remember, the season has been shortened by two games already, and all but two of the teams will be out of the playoff within those two weeks.

Then there's the logistics of a playoff system. It's pretty simple, actually.

There are currently six major 1-A conferences recognized by the BCS. That has been a point of heated debate as long as there have been ranking systems in 1-A college football - under the BCS and before as well. So, here's their chance to make the system more equitable. Take the six major conferences:

The Big East
The ACC
The SEC
The Big 10
The Big 12
The PAC 10

And add to that list, the two best teams by record from this list of remaining 1-A conferences:

The Mid-America
The Mountain West
The WAC
Conference USA
The Sun Belt Conference

You now have an eight team playoff. Four games first, then two games, then the national championship game. In reality, the non-major 1-A conferences are not really of the same caliber as the six majors. At least not from top to bottom. However, they do seem to produce one or two surprises each year, and allowing these teams a shot at the playoff is the right thing to do. This way a team like Boise State of last year, or Hawaii this year, would have a chance to prove that they belong in the competition. Another solution would be to let the five non-major conference teams have a mini-playoff that would produce the two teams for the national championship playoff. And should these non-major conferences raise the level of play within their conferences in the future, the system could be adjusted to accomodate that reality.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention this...

Join a conference Notre Dame. It is the height of arrogance to think that special accomodations should be made for just one team. It's time to trade in the attitude for a conference membership, or enjoy the national championship playoffs from the stands.

OK, so I'm sure that there will still be objections to a playoff system like the one I've illustrated. But it's still light years ahead of the quagmire we currently have to suffer through.

R_of_G
November 29th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Bloozcat, I agree with you wholeheartedly that a legitimate playoff system is the only real answer to determining a consensus #1, and that the reaons typically given for avoiding one are not valid. Like I said in my earlier post, I think it could be as simple as inviting the conference champions of every conference this way even a team from the minor conferences who play nobody are then afforded an opportunity to prove on the field whether or not they have what it takes. Doing it by conference championship only eliminates the writers and coaches polling data from the process making it much more objective, you either win your conference or you don't.

Also, +1 for doggin' Notre Dame on the independent status. No team, regardless of what it has done in the past, deserves any special consideration for any bowl games or possible championship series. Of course, if Charlie Weis can't get them to play any better it won't matter.

Good post Bloozcat.

Bloozcat
November 29th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks R_of_G...

I agree that all 1-A champs from every conference should be represented in the playoff. But the logistics would be more difficult with 11 teams, and the detractors who would say that it would make the season too long, might have the excuse they need to kill the playoff before it ever gets going. But, including all conference champs would be the fairest way of doing it. There would have to be some way to seed the teams to determine the match-ups as well.

One thing seems pretty certain, though. A playoff system with some bugs to work out, is far better than the nothing but bugs BCS.

R_of_G
November 29th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Well, here's how you could take the 11 and make it interesting. Take the 12th team from what is now called Division I FCS [what used to be Div 2]. If possible, the Div I FCS championship could be scheduled to be completed in time to put the winner in the 12 seed for the NCAA title. They'd be a major underdog, but no more so than the 16 seed in any college hoops bracket come March Madness. So that gives you 12 teams. Of course another way is to just take the 11 and give someone a bye, but what criteria do you use to determine that?

As for the scheduling, there is currently almost the entire month of december available to them. Have the tournament, pick a winner, then play the bowls for fun and school pride.

Bloozcat
November 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Well, here's how you could take the 11 and make it interesting. Take the 12th team from what is now called Division I FCS [what used to be Div 2]. If possible, the Div I FCS championship could be scheduled to be completed in time to put the winner in the 12 seed for the NCAA title. They'd be a major underdog, but no more so than the 16 seed in any college hoops bracket come March Madness. So that gives you 12 teams. Of course another way is to just take the 11 and give someone a bye, but what criteria do you use to determine that?

As for the scheduling, there is currently almost the entire month of december available to them. Have the tournament, pick a winner, then play the bowls for fun and school pride.

Yep, it's workable. It's just a matter of logistics. The big obstacle is the mental block, and that's hard to fathom.

just strum
December 2nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
Who would have thunk it!!!

Well, two weeks of "Decision" games are in the books and it appears Ohio State is on their way to the Championship game. Everyone seems to have them as a lock and their opponent is up in the air for the moment.

I enjoy the Ohio State season every year and watch very little other college football due to available time, however this is not the way I would choose to have them selected for the big game. I will cheer them on, but the true excitement will be lacking.

If the game really sucks, I can always practice playing guitar and if my guitar playing sucks, well I can always wash the dogs, paint a room, clean the basement...

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM
Who would have thunk it!!!

The way this season has gone, nothing surprises me anymore.

... it appears Ohio State is on their way to the Championship game. Everyone seems to have them as a lock and their opponent is up in the air for the moment.

From the talk, it sounds like the pollsters are gearing up to give LSU one more crack at it. There's also a lot of speculation it coud be Virgina Tech after winning the ACC handily over BC yesterday. I've also heard USC as well, but that seems far fetched.

At this point, I say just let Hawaii play for it. They are undefeated, and while it would be highly unlikely that they would beat Ohio St., it was also highly unlikely that Boise St. would be Oklahoma last year until it happened. That's why they play the games. I actually stayed up until 3 last night to see the end of the Hawaii/Washington game, and while Hawaii can't play much defense, they sure can score points in a hurry.

Now the real question for today is who wins the Heisman. I say it has to be McFadden.

Childbride
December 2nd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Strum, good on your boys, bud, that's wicked cool. :AOK:

this rabid dog 'horn is still limping on three legs after thanksgiving's game. [sigh] i actually turned it off at half time. [gasp... i just admitted to Sacrilege... i'll never be forgiven! :spank: ]

my favorite team is anyone who beats A&M. :poke: [just kidding... i think...] :)

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM

this rabid dog 'horn is still limping on three legs after thanksgiving's game. [sigh] i actually turned it off at half time. [gasp... i just admitted to Sacrilege... i'll never be forgiven! :spank: ]

my favorite team is anyone who beats A&M. :poke: [just kidding... i think...] :)

CB, I watched that game with my brother [who went to UT law school]. I'll give him credit for being faithful, he kept telling me right up until the 4th quarter "ok, they'll start the comeback on this drive." I have followed the Big 12 since he went to undergrad at Colorado, but this was the first time I got to watch the UT/A&M game with him, and in Houston. If only UT had won. I can tell you this about A&M... they must be crazy to fire a coach who's beaten UT two years running.

Childbride
December 2nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
R_of_G... i watch that game, faithfully, every year. i got my undergrad degree there, then got my law degree at baylor b/c i was worried i'd never get through law school in austin... just too many diversions from studying... :beer:

i jersey up and tell myself that no matter which of us is having a better season, it's really anyone's game, b/c the rivalry is that strong. i was bad this year. :spank:

Katastrophe
December 2nd, 2007, 02:16 PM

No sacrilege at all! The 'horns weren't playing up to par.

I'm with you, I went out to eat wtih the family during the 4th quarter. Prior to that point, I was sitting in the living room watching the game and playing a slow blues... Seemed appropriate.

Childbride
December 2nd, 2007, 05:37 PM
[snicker] yes, actually, i have officially committed Sacrilege.

i made a dog reference as a 'horns fan. dang, two for one day, i'm really in trouble!!! :messedup: :messedup: :messedup:

R_of_G
December 3rd, 2007, 06:37 AM
So it's official, USF will play Oregon in the Sun Bowl Dec 31. This will mark the biggest bowl appearance by USF to date, and I think makes an interesting game with two teams who had been ranked #2 during the season. Oregon should provide a great test for USF. If anybody winds up watching that game who hasn't seen USF to date, it's the defense that is the most fun to watch. Keep your eyes on defensive tackle #95 George Selvie as well as Williams & Jenkins, who are two of the best cover-cornerbacks in college football.

Go Bulls.:Dude: <---note that the "dude" smilie is making a sign very similar to "Hook 'em 'Horns" which is also used by USF as our name is "Bulls" :Dude:

R_of_G
December 31st, 2007, 09:33 AM
Today is the day...

USF v Oregon 2:00 pm EST

... and where am I? I'm at work all day!!!! I should get home just in time for the game to be over. Of course I can and will be listening to the radio broadcast, but I would much rather be able to actually watch the game. Being the biggest game in school history, the city of Tampa should have shown some civic pride and made today a holiday so everyone could stay home and watch the game.:rotflmao:

Nonetheless.... GO BULLS!!!!!

Childbride
December 31st, 2007, 10:30 AM
May Your Team Remember the Face of Their Fathers... :)

just strum
December 31st, 2007, 10:38 AM
hope your team wins, then they can remember the face of their fathers (pardon my ignorance, but what the he77 does that mean?)

R_of_G
December 31st, 2007, 10:42 AM
May Your Team Remember the Face of Their Fathers... :)

Thanks for making me smile there CB.

... remember the face of their fathers (pardon my ignorance, but what the he77 does that mean?)

It's a phrase from Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series of books. Basically it means to stand true and act with integrity. It's among many phrases from the series that "Tower junkies" like myself and CB adopt into every day language.

Childbride
December 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM
Sorry, Strum, Stephen King reference. R_of_G and i are big fans. [a.k.a. Constant Readers] ;)

Childbride
December 31st, 2007, 10:44 AM
ok, we've established who types faster than i do... :D

[edit: his was a much better response, too] :AOK:

just strum
December 31st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Oh, I'm more of a MAD magazine reader:D

R_of_G
December 31st, 2007, 11:31 AM
ok, we've established who types faster than i do... :D

can't use Roland as my avatar and then not show blinding speed:rotflmao:

tot_Ou_tard
December 31st, 2007, 05:27 PM
can't use Roland as my avatar and then not show blinding speed:rotflmao:
:master::rotflmao::master:

R_of_G
January 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
an update, they forgot the faces of their fathers and should be sent west. they were humiliated by oregon, i believe 56-21 was the final. poor offensive play calling and terrible defense resulted in a sad showing. there's always next year.

tot_Ou_tard
January 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM
an update, they forgot the faces of their fathers and should be sent west.
Seems that the problem began when they were sent west to play this game ;).

Childbride
January 1st, 2008, 09:50 PM
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled
Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
Of all the lost adventures, my peers--
How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
And such was fortunate, yet each of old
Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.

--robert browning

--------------

here's to next year, R_of_G, for you and my Horns. ;)

marnold
January 1st, 2008, 11:05 PM
If it'll make you feel better I could start singing "Hail to the Victors" at the top of my lungs. :) Nice to see Michigan and Carr go out on top, but it only makes me wonder what would've happened if Hart and Henne hadn't gotten injured in the first game.

sunvalleylaw
January 1st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Today is the day...

USF v Oregon 2:00 pm EST

... and where am I? I'm at work all day!!!! I should get home just in time for the game to be over. Of course I can and will be listening to the radio broadcast, but I would much rather be able to actually watch the game. Being the biggest game in school history, the city of Tampa should have shown some civic pride and made today a holiday so everyone could stay home and watch the game.:rotflmao:

Nonetheless.... GO BULLS!!!!!

Sorry R, Go Ducks! My wife is a Duck, and then there is the whole Pac 10 loyalty thing. :D

R_of_G
January 2nd, 2008, 06:31 AM
If it'll make you feel better I could start singing "Hail to the Victors" at the top of my lungs. :) Nice to see Michigan and Carr go out on top, but it only makes me wonder what would've happened if Hart and Henne hadn't gotten injured in the first game.

The Wolverines certainly finished the season better than they started it, that's for sure. I watched most of their bowl game though and I've gotta say, Hart's NFL stock plummeted in my opinion in that game when not once, but twice he put the ball on the ground inside the 2 yard line. I'm sure he will still be a solid NFL player, but that made me think twice about wanting either of my teams to be looking at him.

marnold
January 2nd, 2008, 09:18 AM
The Wolverines certainly finished the season better than they started it, that's for sure. I watched most of their bowl game though and I've gotta say, Hart's NFL stock plummeted in my opinion in that game when not once, but twice he put the ball on the ground inside the 2 yard line. I'm sure he will still be a solid NFL player, but that made me think twice about wanting either of my teams to be looking at him.
Yeah. If you would have told me that Michigan would put up over 500 yards on Florida, I would have said you were crazy. If you would have told me that Hart would fumble not once but twice, I would have said that you were insane. Hart doesn't fumble. The bigger barrier for him in the NFL will be his size and his tendency to get injured. Henne sure improved his draft stock.

R_of_G
January 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah. If you would have told me that Michigan would put up over 500 yards on Florida, I would have said you were crazy. If you would have told me that Hart would fumble not once but twice, I would have said that you were insane. Hart doesn't fumble. The bigger barrier for him in the NFL will be his size and his tendency to get injured. Henne sure improved his draft stock.

No doubt. I think Henne is one of the better QB prospects headed to the draft. Believe me, as a Jets fan who has no idea the condition Kellen Clemens will be in next year, the college QB's are something they need to look at. Truth be told, there isn't a position the Jets don't need help with so they can draft pretty much anyone, but should it be a QB, I wouldn't be disappointed with Henne. I like him better than Ryan [Boston College] who is projected to be the first QB taken. All that said, were I the Jets GM, the pick would be McFadden if he's still there.

marnold
January 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
No doubt. I think Henne is one of the better QB prospects headed to the draft. Believe me, as a Jets fan who has no idea the condition Kellen Clemens will be in next year, the college QB's are something they need to look at. Truth be told, there isn't a position the Jets don't need help with so they can draft pretty much anyone, but should it be a QB, I wouldn't be disappointed with Henne. I like him better than Ryan [Boston College] who is projected to be the first QB taken. All that said, were I the Jets GM, the pick would be McFadden if he's still there.
Well, I'm a Lions fan so we've been looking for a QB since Bobby Layne. All I know is that if the Lions draft him, he's going to suck.

R_of_G
January 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Well, I'm a Lions fan so we've been looking for a QB since Bobby Layne. All I know is that if the Lions draft him, he's going to suck.

What Kitna isn't as good as only he seems to think he is? :rotflmao:
On the bright side for you, at least a Lions QB has star-quality receivers to throw the ball to. The Jets could get a time machine and start a young Joe Namath and he'd still have to throw it to the Jets receivers.

Childbride
January 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
ok, so my 'shared daughter' is with us, and the orange bowl is on.

she's a junior at KU.

so i have to put in a little 'GO JAYHAWKS!!!' :D

i have my 'kansas mom' tshirt on, and here we go. ;)

Childbride
January 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM
she leaves on saturday... and part of my life with goes with her.

and i am deeply sorry for the loss caused by the shooting this past year. and i can't imagine or fathom the pain of those families. i bleed for them truthfully.

but i have to say this for my daughter.

GO JAYHAWKS!

R_of_G
September 8th, 2008, 12:26 PM
So two weeks into the new season, how is your school doing this year?

University of South Florida is 2-0. Currently ranked #19. We got pushed to overtime by UCF, which was a bit scary since last year we beat them 64-12, but we still came away with the victory. With the loss this week by West Virginia to a very underrated East Carolina team, things are off to a good start for USF in the Big East. Next week we play Kansas which will be a VERY tough game for us, but if the defense can hold it together, we have a shot.

Anyone who gets a chance to see USF on tv, be sure to check out #95 George Selvie. This guy is a powerhouse defensive player and will be a major score for any NFL team when he's drafted next year.

Good luck to all of your schools. This should be a good year for college ball.

marnold
September 8th, 2008, 01:02 PM
Well . . . if it is possible that Michigan could be getting off to a worse start than last year, it is happening now. This is going to be a long season. I've a feeling it will be a couple of draft classes before we're ready to contend again.

R_of_G
September 8th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Well . . . if it is possible that Michigan could be getting off to a worse start than last year, it is happening now. This is going to be a long season. I've a feeling it will be a couple of draft classes before we're ready to contend again.

Yep, it's gonna take a few years for Rodriguez to get the kind of players that fit his system in there. At least this year you are only losing to other Division 1 schools instead of the App. State debacle from last year.

Bloozcat
September 8th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Well, my Canes lost to #5 Florida, which was not unexpected. The Canes are in a rebuilding mode, starting 13 freshmen in the game. That's the most since Howard Schnellenberger's 1979 team. What many did not expect to see from the Canes, was the tough defense they played through three quarters of football. They frustrated Tebow over and over again. Defense always matures faster than offense on a young team, and it was no different for the Canes Saturday night. Despite having two good young quarterbacks (finally), they couldn't get any scoring drives together. They managed to hold the ball quite a long time, keeping it away from Florida's offense, but they just couldn't get the ball in the end zone as they needed to.

I'm sure the rest of the SEC teams will be watching the game film from Saturday, and will be using some of what they saw to defense Florida when they play them.

It's going to be a long season, but I'm happy to see the Canes heading in the right direction.

just strum
September 8th, 2008, 06:28 PM
Ohio State got a scare playing Ohio University last Saturday. Next up USC - You're not going to hear to much from me early in the season and if they lose a couple, it's back into my cave for me.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/ahhhhhhh.gif

R_of_G
September 8th, 2008, 08:24 PM
There's no shame in losing to USC, a lot of teams are gonna do it this year. Aside from my alma mater of USF, I root for USC (my sister's alma mater) and Texas (my brother's)

sunvalleylaw
September 8th, 2008, 10:17 PM
My Huskies got robbed. ROBBED I SAY! :flamemad: Durn refs! And durn BYU! :reallymad: :cool:

Ap6Kn0dkbyY&eurl=http://ballhype.com/video/byu_vs_washington_2008_controversial_last_seconds/

R_of_G
September 9th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Completely agree with you Steve. That was a ludicrous call on the official's part. That was not even close to being an "excessive celebration." I know that the rule is written to be interpreted strictly (and thus avoid judgement calls) and that the Washington player did in fact throw the ball over his shoulder, but that's still pushing the interpretation to me. The Huskies def got screwed.

Bloozcat
September 9th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Yup, another game decided by the ref's instead of the teams on the field. The system is broken when a team gets cheated out of a win, with no way of having the bad call reviewed. The officials can review and reverse a bad call they made on a play, but not a bad call they made on a horribly written and ill-defined rule like "excessive celebration?"

So what is it then? Is the judgement of the officials fallible and subject to review or isn't it? Bad calls are subject to review...but only those bad calls that they deem reviewable...??!! :confused:

Best case scenario for Washington under the rules: Washington files a protest with the NCAA Rules Committee. NCAA Rules Committee reviews the call in question. NCAA Rules Committee decides that the protest is valid, the wrong call was made. NCAA Rules Committee won't change the results of the game though, because the game went on after the horrible call was made. Never mind that it was the bad call that likely led to the missed extra point. Washington is vindicated, but not compensated. The NCAA Rules Committee's incompetence is on full view for all the college football world to see. Yet, they learn nothing from the exercise. They do nothing to address the rule that led to the bad call, before it happens again...and it will happen again.

R_of_G
September 13th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Anybody watch my USF Bulls take on Kansas last night? It was quite the back and forth game. It looked ugly early as Kansas jumped out to a 20-3 lead in the first half and the Bulls looked anemic.

I'm not sure what Coach Leavitt told them in the locker room at halftime, but whatever it was it worked. In the third quarter they came roaring back on both sides of the ball and tied up the score at 20 (in part due to a remarkable catch by WR Taurus Johnson).

Then they actually went up 34-20 until Kansas mounted a comeback of their own (Kansas' QB Reesing is nothing short of amazing). This was the second time in two weeks USF has given up a 14 point 2nd half lead so it was a bit disconcerting.

Kansas had the ball with less than 2 minutes left until Reesing made his only mistake and threw an interception which was run back to within field goal range.

With 2 seconds left on the clock, Coach Leavitt sent out Maikon Bonnani, a true freshman who earlier in the game missed on his first ever FG attempt as a collegian. The kid put up a kind of wobbly kick which looked like it was going wide left until it hooked back in at the last second giving USF the victory as the freshman was carried off the field on the shoulders' of his teammates.

I am curious to see how today's games play out to see where USF will be ranked come Monday. They were 19 going into this game and Kansas was 13. I expect them to move up at least a few notches.

Looking forward to tonight's USC/OSU game, though I suspect USC will dominate most of it. LSU showed last year that OSU (and other Big 10 schools) cannot compete with the faster teams. USC is about as fast as it gets, and that linebacker group is phenomenal.

R_of_G
September 14th, 2008, 05:22 PM
The new AP poll is out.

With their win over Kansas, USF has moved up to #12. Go Bulls!:AOK:

The USC/Ohio St. game played out exactly as I suspected it would. Eventually the Big 10 coaches are going to have to realize that they need to start recruiting speedier players because they don't play well against non-conference teams (at least not the SEC or PAC-10).

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 05:30 PM
The new AP poll is out.

With their win over Kansas, USF has moved up to #12. Go Bulls!:AOK:

The USC/Ohio St. game played out exactly as I suspected it would. Eventually the Big 10 coaches are going to have to realize that they need to start recruiting speedier players because they don't play well against non-conference teams (at least not the SEC or PAC-10).

They have to get away from the Woody Hayes mentality. At least Ohio State does.

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
For whatever reason, OSU is very overrated this year and they were without one of their top players. I expected they'd get beaten pretty well, but not as bad as this. Sorry Strummy, OSU under Tressel bears very little resemblance to OSU under Hayes. I know Woody Hayes. He's an old enemy of mine. But Jim Tressel is no Woody Hayes.

And even though Michigan is definitely in a down-turn this year, historically they pretty much own the SEC. I believe they are 23-5-1 including 7-3 in bowl games. Over the past decade or two, Michigan has gone from a "three yards an a cloud of dust" to a real pro-style offense. The jury will be out on this switch to the spread with Rodriguez. I've already seen more crazy formations this year than I have in my 40 years of existence. Unfortunately, they just don't have the players for the system right now.

Oh yeah, no matter what happens Ohio State still sucks. Sweater vests suck too.

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
OSU may have been missing one of their top players, but no team at that level should be impacted by one player. The other players should have no problem stepping up. USC was just phenomenal pass rush and I only watched maybe 5 minutes of the game. In 5 minutes it was just clear they were over matched.

The problem OSU is going to have because of bowl outcomes and games like yesterday, they are going to have a tougher time recruiting the top talent.

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Oh yeah, no matter what happens Ohio State still sucks. Sweater vests suck too.

I wouldn't consider you a Michigan fan if you didn't end your post with that.

Just remember, Tressel owns Michigan, so make your jabs because:

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h16/auroraohio/Smiley/pokeowned.gif

marnold
September 14th, 2008, 05:53 PM
The problem OSU is going to have because of bowl outcomes and games like yesterday, they are going to have a tougher time recruiting the top talent.
From your lips to God's ears but unfortunately for me Tressel has proven himself to be one heck of a recruiter. This is also early in the season. Remember that Michigan last year bookended their season with a crushing loss to Appalachian State at the big house and a crushing bowl win against Florida and Tim Tebow.

just strum
September 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
...a crushing loss to Appalachian State

Now that was ugly, even for an Ohio State fan.

Teleman77
September 18th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Being from the epicenter of college football (Lincoln, Nebraska), You KNOW I'm a huge Nebraska fan. After knocking off the three creampuffs in our scheudle, it's time to get "Sirius'.......listen, you can almost hear The Alan Parsons Project in the backround!:beer:

9/27 we have Va Tech coming to Lincoln and then on 10/4......Missouri.
Pelini dosen't have the program turned around yet, but he's making progress.
I think it'll be enough for Virginia Tech, but Missouri? We'll see.

GO BIG RED!!

Teleman77
September 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
There must be a lot of college football fans here, eh?

R_of_G
September 22nd, 2008, 11:30 AM
With Saturday's win over Florida International University, USF moves to 4-0 on the season. There was a very scary moment during the game, when one of USF's players, LB Brouce Mompremier collided with one of his teammates and sustained an apparent spinal/neck injury. Mompremeir was air-lifted to a nearby hospital. Thankfully, he has movement in his limbs, and the injury was not severe. He was released from the hospital on Sunday. Mompremier (who will be out at least two weeks until he is re-evaluated) will surely be missed as he is one of the key players on the Bulls' defense, but we Bulls' fans are just glad to know that he was not injured more severely.

Despite their win, the Bulls dropped a spot in the polls from #12 to #13. It wasn't the most impressive of wins for sure, but I don't really pay much heed to the polls (especially before conference play starts). My real concern is not their ranking, but their place in the Big East conference. So long as they win the Big East, they will be assured a spot in one of the BCS bowls come January.

Our next opponent is NC State who is coming off of a huge upset of East Carolina.

Go Bulls!

birv2
September 22nd, 2008, 01:11 PM
Penn State fan here. Go Nits!

After crushing all the cupcakes on the schedule, we now start to play the big boys, with Illinois next week.

And even though I'm a big fan, I think their #16 ranking is probably just about right -- a good second tier program. They haven't won the Big 10, and even the Big10 winners get regularly trounced by the Pac 10.

But I love those retro unis!

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_211648d7edc2c628c.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=689)

http://www.thefret.net/imagehosting/thum_211648d7edda1305c.jpg (http://www.thefret.net/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=690)

Steve206
September 22nd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Another interesting year for the FSU Seminoles. After all those years of excellence and watching the football program build that new stadium and complex, it feels kind of funny.

I had always thought that the football program was infallible, until we just could not seem to find a consistent QB. We thought that this year was going to be different. As we have in the past. Best thing to do is show what we are made of by handling the set backs with integrity.

At the end of the day, those kids on the team got to be around and be influenced by Bobby Bowden. I'm sure that Joe Paterno is a cool guy, but my son goes to FSU.

Steve

R_of_G
September 22nd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Steve, it is interesting to have watched the changes in Florida college football just since I've moved to the state in 1992. Back then, USF didn't even have a football program, and all the attention was on the "big three" (UF, FSU, and Miami). There was a time when all three of those schools were consistently ranked in the top 10, if not in the top 5.

Now USF is a 12 year old program, and a respectable program which is competing heavily for recruits with those three schools. Florida Atlantic, UCF and FIU are all building solid programs.

R_of_G
September 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM
The USF Bulls have moved to 5-0 with their 41-0 blowout of North Carolina State. It was a completely one-sided game. USF scored touchdowns on their first three possessions, and the game was essentially over by the end of the first quarter. Next week the fun starts as we begin conference play in the Big East.

Given the losses by #1 USC, #3 Georgia, #4 Florida, and #9 Wisconsin (which I suspect made Marnold happy to see the Wolverines come back and win that one), the #13 Bulls should move into the Top 10 in this week's poll. I am curious to see how the polls play out (as many may still be hesitant to drop USC entirely from the top 10) but I see no reason for USF not to move up at least 3 spots to #10.

How'd your school do?

marnold
September 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Yes, I was quite happy. Downright shocked, actually. I had a ton of work to do yesterday. When I first tuned in Michigan had just coughed it up a second time and Wisconsin converted it into their first points. While I said "Here we go again" to myself, I also thought that the Badgers were not making Michigan pay for their mistakes. I never dreamed this team would end up with the biggest comeback win in the history of the Big House. I wasn't able to start watching again until Michigan was driving for their first score.

Wisconsin is running the gauntlet in the Big Ten. Michigan this week with OSU and PSU coming up in the next two weeks. I at least have some hope now that I will not witness the first losing season in my lifetime.

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM
My team lost a quarterback (Jake Locker), gave up way too much offense to a poor offensive team, and lost the game. The only bright spot is that the back up quarterback (Ronnie Fouch) seems to have a spark.

It has been hard to be a Husky for a few years. A few bright spots, but no really good seasons.

R_of_G
October 4th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Thursday night USF suffered its first loss of the season to Pittsburgh. Though USF was able to come back and take the lead late in the fourth quarter, they proved unable to stop Pitt RB Lesean McCoy (who is one hell of a player). The USF offense looked somewhat anemic, but what was most noticeable was the poor play on the defensive side of the ball. USF wins most of its games through strong play from a great defense. That defense didn't show up for this game. The Bulls also took several stupid penalties at some crucial points in the game. All in all, a very weak outing. Hopefully they will be able to rebound.

Good luck to all of your schools on this saturday.

birv2
October 19th, 2008, 07:45 AM
My Nittany Lions slumbered through the first half against a weak Michigan team, then finally woke up and steamrollered them in the 4th quarter. The real test is next week against Ohio State. After seeing what they did to Michigan State yesterday, I'm not feeling too confident. But the Nits seem to keep on rolling, so we'll see...

R_of_G
October 19th, 2008, 11:15 AM
The USF Bulls trounced Syracuse on Saturday 45-13. After a two-week layoff from the Pittsburgh loss, the Bulls looked a bit lackluster in the first half, but came out for the second half and completely dominated on both sides of the ball. Up next is Louisville in Louisville.

Also, I think my brother's Texas Longhorns showed exactly why they are the number 1 team with their destruction of Missouri. They will have their hands full next week with Oklahoma State, but if they play like they have the last two weeks, they should win and remain atop the polls.

:dude: <--- This hand gesture means "Hook 'em Horns!" and "Go Bulls!"

Childbride
October 19th, 2008, 04:09 PM
go 'horns !!!

just strum
October 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
My Nittany Lions slumbered through the first half against a weak Michigan team, then finally woke up and steamrollered them in the 4th quarter. The real test is next week against Ohio State. After seeing what they did to Michigan State yesterday, I'm not feeling too confident. But the Nits seem to keep on rolling, so we'll see...

Don't get too nervous, they threw for 116 yards and Michigan State had something like five turnovers. I'm an Ohio State fan, but they haven't done anything to get excited about.

R_of_G
October 19th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Don't get too nervous, they threw for 116 yards and Michigan State had something like five turnovers. I'm an Ohio State fan, but they haven't done anything to get excited about.

I agree, I watched both of those teams yesterday and it looks to me like Penn State is the cream of the Big 10 crop this year. That doesn't guarantee a win of course, but they should be able to beat the Buckeyes.

Teleman77
October 20th, 2008, 08:56 AM
My Huskers trounced Iowa State 35-7 and look to be headed in the right direction.........finally. We have Baylor coming to town on the 25th and that should be a win by at least 2 scores.

Then we have to travel to Oklahoma............that shoud be interesting.

GO BIG RED!!:beer:

just strum
October 26th, 2008, 07:40 AM

See Birv, there was nothing to worry about.

BUT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!:poke:

birv2
October 26th, 2008, 08:24 AM
See Birv, there was nothing to worry about.

BUT WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR!!!!:poke:

*whew*

I agree that the Nits look pretty good. So now I will shift my worrying to the Michigan State game.:whatever:

Truthfully, they've been pretty mediocre since joining the Big Ten and PSU fans have learned to expect the worst. Our new secret weapon is putting JoePa up in the booth and off the sideline.:AOK:

Bob

just strum
October 26th, 2008, 08:37 AM
Our new secret weapon is putting JoePa up in the booth and off the sideline.:AOK:

Bob

I'm sure it's a tactic you might see incorporated by other teams next season. I wonder if they will also go to the extreme and all hire 110 year old coaches.

I think the rally cry this year should be "Go Joe" - he deserves a title when the season ends.

R_of_G
October 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM
Yesterday was an embarrassment for the USF Bulls. A 24-20 loss to Louisville, yes, Louisville. Losing to Louisville is perfectly acceptable in basketball, but not in football. The Bulls simply did not show up on either side of the ball and deserved to lose. Unfortunately, with a second loss they are now unlikely to win the Big East and have likely cost themselves a shot at an invite to a decent bowl game. Last year they had to settle for the Sun Bowl. This year it may be even worse, or not at all.

At least Texas won. That team plays top 10 competition week after week and keeps on going. They definitely deserve the #1 ranking.

sunvalleylaw
October 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Being a Husky these days is just depressing. At least the stadium is beautiful and one can look out at the lake if you go the the game.

just strum
October 26th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Being a Husky these days is just depressing. At least the stadium is beautiful and one can look out at the lake if you go the the game.

One can look at the girls - girls Steve, come on, you are not that old to forget that!!!:poke:

sunvalleylaw
October 26th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Well that kinda goes without sayin'.

R_of_G
October 31st, 2008, 05:15 PM
Another week, another embarrassing loss for the USF Bulls. Last night they dropped their third game of the season, this time 24-10 to Cincinnati. Their ranking was 23 going into the game and this pretty much seals the deal on their not being ranked at all next week, and probably for what remains of the season. If they make a bowl game at all, which looks doubtful at this point, it will be some cheesy bowl that nobody has ever heard of before. This has turned out to be a terrible season. Bring on college basketball!

At least my brother's Longhorns are still #1. Their game with Texas Tech this saturday should be a lot of fun to watch. Hook 'em Horns:dude:

just strum
October 31st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Another week, another embarrassing loss for the USF Bulls. Last night they dropped their third game of the season, this time 24-10 to Cincinnati.

Maybe for the purpose of ratings, when the season is over they could meet Ohio State in the newest bowl - The Death Match Bowl and it can be attended by wrestling fans (possibly OSU's fan base for next year). OSU is going to have an interesting recruiting challenge ahead of them.

R_of_G
November 1st, 2008, 06:13 AM
:rotflmao:

We finally got to the point where we were competing with UF, FSU and Miami for the top Florida talent. Now we've taken a step backwards in a year when UCF and FIU have both taken a step forward. Granted, FSU is not what it once was, but kids still want to go there so it will always draw well. This season will not help USF next year.

piebaldpython
November 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM
Bye-bye U of Texas 'Horns!! Sorry CB. Wonder if the Nittany Lions of Penn State will break into the top 2?

just strum
November 22nd, 2008, 02:41 PM
It may be my only opportunity for bragging rights

R_of_G
November 22nd, 2008, 03:35 PM
Yep be proud Strum, they beat a hapless Michigan team senseless. I almost feel bad for Michigan with the year they've had. Almost. I feel bad for Marnold as a fan of Michigan because he seems like a good guy but that's about as far as it goes.

Oh, and as for my Bulls. What a waste of time this season turned out to be. Just like last year, once the Bulls lose a game they can't seem to stop themselves from losing a couple more. Hopefully this disaster of a season won't affect them too badly as far as recruiting goes. We shall see.

I do hope the amazing senior defensive end George Selvie, who is now a senior, goes on to make an impact in the NFL. He will be a great pick-up for some team. It's been fun watching him develop for the last four years.

USF players are beginning to impact the NFL. Kawika Mitchell is one of the premier talents on the Bills' defense, and Mike Jenkins has been a great pickup for the Cowboys. On draft day I said that the Bucs were making a HUGE mistake in taking Aqib Talib out of Kansas instead of Jenkins from right here in Tampa and although Talib is doing a competent job at CB for the Bucs, Jenkins is a star for the Cowboys. I thought it was fairly obvious that he'd be a star, but the Bucs are not always the best judges of draft day talent.

just strum
November 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
Yep be proud Strum, they beat a hapless Michigan team senseless. I almost feel bad for Michigan with the year they've had. Almost. I feel bad for Marnold as a fan of Michigan because he seems like a good guy but that's about as far as it goes.

Hey, they've done the same to Ohio State. This rivalry does not take records into account. Any team can win. It just so happens that Ohio State has one the last five meetings. If Ohio State was 1 and 10 or Michigan was 1 and 10 both teams and fans would say as long as that one was against their longest rival (105 years) then the season wasn't a complete loss.

And to Marnold :beer: you understand the rivalry.

marnold
November 22nd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Laugh it up now, Strummy. It's just a few short weeks until OSU's annual bowl game choke job.

I'm going to burn RichRod in effigy now.

just strum
November 22nd, 2008, 05:04 PM
Laugh it up now, Strummy. It's just a few short weeks until OSU's annual bowl game choke job.

I'm going to burn RichRod in effigy now.

That's why I said this may be my only opportunity for bragging rights. They could possibly choke in the bowl game, we'll have to wait and see.

Truthfully, I can't believe that Michigan tanked like this. The worse part is they didn't show up today. I don't care how bad either team is, they always (well, most of the time) show up for this game.

By the way, what bowl game is Michigan slated to play in?:poke:

marnold
November 22nd, 2008, 06:14 PM
By the way, what bowl game is Michigan slated to play in?:poke:
Toilet

And yes, I'm being more than a little bit of a whiny ***** right now. I didn't watch much of the game for obvious reasons. A non-obvious reason is that I was called out to visit one of my members who is dying of cancer. Had a good visit which actually perked things up.

just strum
November 22nd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Toilet

Next year.

At least you don't have to witness a choke around New Years (I've been practicing the Heimlich maneuver in preparation for the game)

sunvalleylaw
November 24th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I just can't even talk about it. Or even think about it. Wake me up when the Huskies have a team again.

R_of_G
December 1st, 2008, 08:14 AM
After this weekend, we now we have all the evidence we need that there is still little improvement in determining a legitimate national champion in college football. The "old way" of doing it from a pure polling perspective was exceptionally flawed. The BCS was supposed to fix this problem. Obviously not.

For Oklahoma to have jumped Texas is a travesty. It shouldn't matter if Oklahoma won their game by 100 points. Each team played in the same conference. Each team had one loss. Oklahoma's one loss was to Texas. Not only that, it occurred on a neutral field. Any tie-breaker other than head-to-head competition is superfluous and downright silly. Oklahoma did not beat Texas and therefore should not be ranked ahead of them. Margins of victory are not a measure of a winner's greatness as much as they are a measure of a loser's weakness.

There are a lot of calls for a playoff system, but none that I have heard will do anything more then perpetuate the same problems. Basically every proposal I've heard calls for "the top 8,10, or 12 teams" to compete in a round robin playoff system. See the inherent problem? Who are the "top 8, 10 or 12" teams? Based on the rankings? The rankings are nonsense. Firstly, teams are ranked prior to conference play, and this is a joke. Secondly, this would leave certain conferences out of the picture.

There is an easy and fair solution. The only question is how many at-large bids do you want to give to get the number of teams to an even number.

-There are 11 conferences in the FBS (formerly known as Division 1).
-Take the 11 conference champions plus
- 1 or 5 at-large bids to get you to 12 or 16 teams (14 doesn't work bc you can't have a bracket of 7 teams).

There shouldn't be much controversy over the at-large bids. There will almost always be a runner-up in the Big 12 and the SEC with a better record than most conference champions. There are two right there. Even if there is some controversy or hurt feelings for the at-large bids, the answer is "win your conference."

Some will say it's a joke because "everyone knows" a WAC team can't compete with a Big 12 team. Ask Oklahoma if that's true. All the so-called experts and prognosticators didn't give Boise State a chance in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl and yet they still won.

All I know is that to determine a champion with polling (whether done by humans or a computer) is wholly subjective and makes a joke out of the entire season.

Thanks for your time. Rant over.

Childbride
December 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM
thank you. :D

just strum
December 1st, 2008, 06:31 PM
could have been worse, Ohio State could have gotten top ranking:D

R_of_G
December 1st, 2008, 06:33 PM
could have been worse, Ohio State could have gotten top ranking:D

We've been down that road before. :rotflmao:

just strum
December 1st, 2008, 06:36 PM
We've been down that road before. :rotflmao: Exactly - I knew you would remember.

R_of_G
December 1st, 2008, 10:05 PM
I'm just thankful that USC put an end to the Ohio St. hype before it even started this year. Then Penn St. went into Columbus and guaranteed the Buckeyes wouldn't be heard from until next year.

Both of those conferences, the Big 10 and the Pac 10, are desperately in need of a conference championship game or their teams may not see another national championship game anytime soon unless they go undefeated.

marnold
December 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM
Both of those conferences, the Big 10 and the Pac 10, are desperately in need of a conference championship game or their teams may not see another national championship game anytime soon unless they go undefeated.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your logic, I wholeheartedly disagree with the concept that the Big 10 needs a championship. The disaster in the Big 12 is proof enough of that. In the one side of the conference you have a three-way tie with one loss. On the other side you have the fifth best team in the conference who inexplicably gets to play in the championship.

Under most normal circumstances, the Big 10 did have a championship game--the Michigan v. Ohio State tilt at the end of the year. Hopefully within a couple of years Michigan can make that a game worth watching again.

R_of_G
December 2nd, 2008, 09:23 AM
Just don't be surprised when Big 10 and Pac 10 schools get left out of national championship contention unless they go undefeated.

As for the Big 12 and Missouri's inclusion in the championship game, it's not all that inexplicable. The conference has two divisions, they won theirs and thus earned a berth in the championship game. Every sport with playoffs have teams that win their divisions and make the playoffs despite having a worse record than other teams in their conference. Take this year's Los Angles Dodgers. If they played in the NL East they'd have finished in 4th place, out of the playoffs. Instead they play in the NL West where they finished in first. Is it fair? Not necessarily. But that's the way it works. Win your division first, then worry about the conference.

R_of_G
December 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Ok, it's official, let's take the C out of the BCS and it will have a more apt name.

I cannot believe the idiocy in the Bowl matchups announced yesterday, particularly these...

Sugar Bowl
No. 6 Utah vs. No. 4 Alabama
January 2, 2009

Fiesta Bowl
No. 3 Texas vs. No. 10 Ohio St.
January 5, 2009

Is it just me, or is it obvious that Texas/Alabama would be a MUCH better game than either of these games? Not to mention that Alabama and Texas both had spectacular seasons and deserve to play better games as a reward for it than this. No offense to Utah, undefeated seasons are impressive, but c'mon, they didn't exactly play the kind of competition Texas did. If anyone deserves to play Alabama, it's Texas.

Let Utah play Ohio St. in a battle of teams that didn't play against all that much real competition this season and let's have Texas v Alabama. Given the Florida/Oklahoma matchup for the championship, it'd be intriguing to me to see another major game of SEC vs Big 12 as they are clearly the dominant conferences in college football.

Note, I am not counting out Utah or the exceptionally over-rated Ohio State, but I'd entertain any arguments as to how Texas v Alabama is not a more interesting game. The BCS remains a complete joke.

marnold
December 8th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Ok, it's official, let's take the C out of the BCS and it will have a more apt name.

I cannot believe the idiocy in the Bowl matchups announced yesterday, particularly these...
I believe that the problem with an Alabama-Texas match-up is because of pre-existing contracts that the SEC and Big 12 have with those bowls. The Fiesta bowl gets the Big 12 champ. Since Oklahoma is playing for the national championship, Texas goes. The Sugar bowl gets the SEC champ. Since Florida is playing for the national championship, Alabama goes. The Rose Bowl had no choices to make since the Big 10 and Pac 10 champs are available. From that point on the bowls themselves get to pick which of the BCS-eligible schools will go to their bowls.

So the problem has nothing to do with the BCS. If you want to get mad, get mad with the conferences for making these bowl contracts. I agree, though, that Texas-Alabama would be an awesome game. Suddenly Michigan's loss by two to Utah at the beginning of the year isn't the stunner it seemed to be at the time. Still sucks that I won't have ANY bowl game to watch this year.

R_of_G
December 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM
I understand the contract thing, but it seems a little stupid to me since the BCS gets to pre-empt any existing traditions/contracts between the conferences and the bowls when it comes to the championship game, for instance sending Texas to the Rose Bowl a few years ago. It may as well do the same with these bowls to at least guarantee games worth watching. Either go back to the traditional conference bowl matchups for all bowls all the time, or go to competitive games in all bowls all the time, but this combination is not working for me. I think Texas and Alabama deserve a LOT better than they're getting.

piebaldpython
December 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
And a BIG part of the blame goes to the Div 1A schools who are part of the BCS and rubber-stamped this idiotic nonsense in the first place. Div IIA schools have a playoff system. The Div 1A could do the same. Yeah, 'Bama and Texas got shafted and as they are BIG dogs in the house, they could say enuf' is enuf'.....let's end this stupidity and have a playoff system.
But they won't because they eat at the $$$$$$$$$ trough that is the BOWL system that has over-run college football.

R_of_G
December 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Exactly right Python. In fact I put not only a big part, but ALL the blame on the Presidents of the schools in FBS (formerly known as Division 1) for allowing this nonsense to continue. I cannot wrap my mind around just what, if any, purpose the BCS actually serves.

just strum
December 8th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Fiesta Bowl
No. 3 Texas vs. No. 10 Ohio St.
January 5, 2009

Note, I am not counting out Utah or the exceptionally over-rated Ohio State, but I'd entertain any arguments as to how Texas v Alabama is not a more interesting game. The BCS remains a complete joke.

When I saw this on ESPN yesterday I was shocked. This has to even have Woody rolling over in his grave.

piebaldpython
December 8th, 2008, 12:02 PM
When I saw this on ESPN yesterday I was shocked. This has to even have Woody rolling over in his grave.

Well Strum, if OSU beats Texas, CB may wanna jump in a grave. :rotflmao:

Speaking of football games.......hey Strum, I think NEXT Monday nite's game it between my IGGLES and your BROWNS.....somehow, the EAGLES still have a shot at the wildcard, they played the last couple of games well.......which means....that against the BROWNS.......they may very well go belly-up and make everyone on the Browns look like Hall Of Famers. :D

They (the Iggles) do that to us all the time.....drives the whole city nuts......when we have a chance to put somebody away, SPLAT!!.....not all the time mind you......but often enough to where we all hold our breaths, shut our eyes, cover our ears and say rosaries throughout the game. ahah

Which IGGLES team will show up???

R_of_G
December 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
So, since we are talking about college football and its travesties, let's talk about the Hesiman Award which will be presented on Saturday.

The Heisman is supposed to be an award for the "most outstanding" college football player in a season. Instead, it has traditionally been awarded to the most outstanding QB or RB in college football in a season. This year will be no different. The four finalists will be four QB's - Bradford, McCoy, Tebow and Harrell. Statistically speaking, it's Bradford, no question. However, there is much more to being the best than having the best numbers. In terms of what he meant to his team and how he contributed to the wins, the best QB would be McCoy. Of course given the regional nature of the voting, Bradford and McCoy will split many votes and Tebow may wind up winning (the second player ever to win two straight, the other being the great Archie Griffin).

Of course, the award is not for the best QB, it's for the best player. In my opinion, the best player in college football this year is USC's middle linebacker Rey Maualuga. He is, without question, the most dominant defensive player in college football on the team with the most dominant defense. If the award was truly for the best player, it would be Maualuga's. Whichever NFL team is lucky enough to draft him will have a centerpiece to build a defense around.

Brian Krashpad
December 10th, 2008, 08:25 AM
The Heisman has been about backs for decades, that's sorta a done deal. I mean, look at the statute. :D

Tebow isn't close statistically, but closing strong and carrying the team is probably a big part of it, and he pretty much single-handidly willed the Gators to come from behind against Bama. Even with that, he'd still be out of contention without the possibility of the split.

Go Gators.

R_of_G
December 10th, 2008, 08:29 AM
I agree, it's traditionally been an award for backs. Of course the voters could change that at any time by voting for defensive players. They did it for Woodson, they can do it again.

I also agree about Tebow. He did not have the numbers he had last season, but his importance to Florida can't be understated. He's been a lot of fun to watch. I'm not sure how his game would translate to the NFL when the time comes for him to go, but with his athleticism, I think he could adapt.

I'm rooting for Florida bc (a) I live in Florida and have some civic pride, and as previously ranted about by me (b) Oklahoma doesn't belong there. Go Gators indeed!:dude:

R_of_G
January 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Well that was a lot more interesting a Sugar Bowl than I'd anticipated. How's that for an example of why we need playoffs in college football? As you guys know from my thoughts on USC, I don't believe in allowing perceptions of a conference's strength to rank teams (nor do I believe in the rankings). What a team like Utah proves is that whatever one thinks of their competition, they ae still a team that won every game they played in. The BCS polls said Alabama was a much better team despite their loss because they perceive the SEC as strong. That Alabama team couldn't stop Utah. It's just like the Boise St/Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl of a few years back. Put the teams on the field and you might be surprised which one is better.

Congratulations to Utah. At 13-0, I find it harder and harder to refute the argument that they should be national champions. At the very least, they should have had the chance to play for it.

marnold
January 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Congratulations to Utah. At 13-0, I find it harder and harder to refute the argument that they should be national champions. At the very least, they should have had the chance to play for it.
Got that right. Unlike many big conference teams they tried to do something about their schedule by getting a road game at Michigan. Granted, Michigan stunk this year but there's no way the Utes can be blamed for that. I think it just shows how outdated and utterly broken both polls are. I don't think either one knows you-know-what from Shinola.

just strum
January 3rd, 2009, 09:43 AM
...I mean, look at the statute. :D

and all this time I thought it was a cornerback taking an interception in for a touchdown.

sunvalleylaw
January 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
I thought Brian meant that some legislative Act applied, mandating a back be picked. LOL!

Bloozcat
January 5th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Well that was a lot more interesting a Sugar Bowl than I'd anticipated. How's that for an example of why we need playoffs in college football? As you guys know from my thoughts on USC, I don't believe in allowing perceptions of a conference's strength to rank teams (nor do I believe in the rankings). What a team like Utah proves is that whatever one thinks of their competition, they ae still a team that won every game they played in. The BCS polls said Alabama was a much better team despite their loss because they perceive the SEC as strong. That Alabama team couldn't stop Utah. It's just like the Boise St/Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl of a few years back. Put the teams on the field and you might be surprised which one is better.

I couldn't agree more...

Utah destroyed Alabama even worse than the Gators had. Yet in beating Alabama, Florida earned a spot in the national championship game. Utah with a better performance against Alabama and a perfect record gets to sit at home while Florida with a lesser record gets to play for the national championship of college football. What a crock!

I'm not faulting Florida, I'm happy for them that they're in the big game, and maybe they truly do deserve to be there. Nor am I faulting Oklahoma who had a fine season themselves. But what about Texas who got totally screwed out of what could be reasonably argued as their rightful place in the big game? And what of USC with only one loss and looking like a world beater themselves at seasons end?

And what of Utah...and what of Utah...the only unbeaten team in 1-A college football. Are they the unwanted stepchildren of a lesser god? According to the overwhelmingly flawed BCS, they are.

On Thursday night a new national champion of college football will be crowned by the BCS. Too bad we still won't know who truly is the best team.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Aren't colleges supposed to be institutions of higher learning? Perhaps a little remedial re-education is what's needed for the under-achievers at the BCS:

Now each of you write on the board 1000 times...playoffs, playoffs, playoffs....

marnold
January 5th, 2009, 10:22 AM
I won't disagree that playoffs would be great. I will disagree that a playoff system automatically determines the best team. All it determines is the best/most fortunate team in that particular playoff. My only issue with a playoff is that it will allow us to keep the fraud that is the poll system alive and well. Unfortunately I know that will change when you can ice skate in Hades.

R_of_G
January 5th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I won't disagree that playoffs would be great. I will disagree that a playoff system automatically determines the best team. All it determines is the best/most fortunate team in that particular playoff.
That's what I think a national champion should be. In most of the sports world, championships are determined by on the field performance in some form of tournament. There's always room for argument about who is the "best" team. It's part of what makes talking about sports fun, but "best" will always be subjective. That conversation shouldn't get it in the way of determining a national champion. It's not like in the NHL where the Wings win the championships because they are the best team (though it pains me to acknowledge that). :D

My only issue with a playoff is that it will allow us to keep the fraud that is the poll system alive and well.
Not necessarily. I have some thoughts on how it could work, but it would require the Big 10 and Pac 10 to institute a conference championship game and force Notre Dame to join a conference or be forever left out of contention for the playoffs. I don't expect to ever see it come to what I have in mind. All I ever hear about is a potential 8 team playoff. In that case, I agree with Marnold. It would necessitate keeping the polling system and would be unable to guarantee all teams deserving a shot would get one.

Bloozcat
January 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
In all playoff scenarios there are pitfalls, but at least the issue would be settled on the field where all participants have a shot at it.

I favor a sixteen team, eight game format. Eight games, then four games, then two games to determine the two teams in the championship game. Even with the current polling system it's not likely that the pollsters are going to omit any truly deserving team with sixteen slots available. The only possible argument I could see in this format may be in how the teams are paired for each game. But, all any team has to do is win and keep on winning. They'd get to prove themselves on the field...or not.

I'm not really big on the conference champion vs. conference champion format, though. Some of the stronger conferences (and that's subject to change) could have more than one team with a better record against better competition than the champion of another conference. I guess I'm not quite ready to accept that all conferences are at the same level of competition, that is unless their record proves they are as in the case of Utah this year and a team like Boise State in past years.

Oh yeah, and Notre Dame? Shut up, put on your big boy pants, and join a conference. The Prima Donna act looks ridiculous when you stink as badly as you do.

R_of_G
January 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
I'm not really big on the conference champion vs. conference champion format, though. Some of the stronger conferences (and that's subject to change) could have more than one team with a better record against better competition than the champion of another conference. I guess I'm not quite ready to accept that all conferences are at the same level of competition, that is unless their record proves they are as in the case of Utah this year and a team like Boise State in past years.

It's exactly why I favor 16 teams. With 16 you get all 11 conference champions, and then have room for 5 more teams. I think there are ways to determine which 5 teams are deserving of a shot at those 5 at large slots and level of competition could come into play here. Lots of ways they could try. Any of them would be an improvement.

Bloozcat
January 6th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Well, after sitting through the entire Fiesta Bowl last night I came away with two major impressions:

1) Texas has no business anywhere near the BCS Championship game.

Texas looked about as unmotivated as a team could throughout the first half. And this after talking all week about "showcasing" themselves on national TV to support their claim that they should have been in the big game, not Oklahoma. After they no doubt got a major butt chewing from the coach at halftime, they came out in the third quarter and scored 14 points. Then as if to say, "See, we can do it any time we like, we're the best", they went back to their first half lethargy. In the meantime, Ohio State continued to push on, playing the best game they could, and crept back into the game. When Texas woke up and found their collective back against the wall, they finally got just serious enough to close out the game with a win...and it was a pretty tenuous win at that. After having watched the Texas-Oklahoma game earlier this year, I thought Texas was a real contender. I was wrong. Real contenders don't let up, ever...not until they either go down fighting or they reach final victory. Texas, in what appeared to be a fit of pique, played like they were already the champions and deserving of everyone's adoration. Well, Ohio State didn't see it that way and it almost cost Texas the game. To Ohio State's credit, they came to play. But amongst the big boys they're still a second rate Big Ten team, and yet another bowl game proved it. Still, they gave it their best shot and they should be congratulated for that.

2) Ohio State can't win the big game.

Ohio State fans always want to argue this point, pointing to victories over other Big Ten teams like Michigan or Penn State. We all saw what USC did to Penn State in the Rose Bowl, and Michigan has finally collapsed under the weight of their alumni's unrealistic expectations. No, the "big game", is any game outside of the Big Ten where the big boys test their mettle. I give Ohio State credit for their willingness to travel to other stadiums and take on competition from the other big conferences (are you listening Michigan?), but it usually results in a loss far from home. Bowl games? Just more of the same.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but there are contenders to the throne and there are pretenders to the throne. Texas played like a contender all year long, only to turn themselves into a pretender at the end. I'm sorry the BCS slighted you, but show some pride. You're a better team than last night's performance showed...or at least I thought so.

Ohio State is a perennial pretender to the throne. It's not all their fault, there are all of those Big Ten sycophants that drool all over themselves as they give Ohio State and Michigan their undeserved top ten rankings at the start of each year. That aside, it's up to Ohio State to turn inward if they want to become a contender. Quit believing the pollsters who make a living of blowing smoke up your, you-know-what’s every year. Gauge yourselves against the real competition out there, not on the praise of your buddies. And as to "Mr. Sweater Vest", it's time to get your nose out of the air and get it back to the grindstone. Your smug Mr. Rogers Neighborhood humility act wore thin years ago. It's long past time for you to return to earth...where the real championship caliber coaches ply their trade.

Just my $.02...fire away.....

http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_peep.gif

marnold
January 6th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Blooz, tell us how you really feel!

Personally, I didn't think that OSU would do as well as they did against Texas. I thought they were overrated at #10. The big issue for Texas is that this is the first team that they faced all year that actually plays defense.

Lately, the Big 10 has gone from being "Michigan, Ohio State, and everybody else," to "several so-so teams and one or two who are slightly better than that." It's parity at its worst right now.

I don't know what you mean by "take on competition from other conferences." Michigan traditionally has had two tough pre-Big-10 games (usually Notre Dame and somebody else) and a cupcake. Granted the past couple of years haven't been the best for ND, but it's not like they picked on Girl Scout Troop 101 either. I challenge you to find me one major program that routinely schedules road games against non-conference top 10 opposition.

Michigan's bowl record has not been good . . . except when they play the supposedly dominant SEC. Let's not forget last year when Michigan beat Florida and Heisman winner Tim Tebow. It would've been an annihilation had Mike Hart not had several uncharacteristic fumbles. And that wasn't a very good Michigan team.

I can also guarantee you that you won't have to worry about Michigan being in the top 10 pre-season next year. I'd be flabbergasted if they were ranked at all--at any point. I don't have much faith in RichRod, to be honest. I'd much rather see Michigan play a pro-style offense. For some reason, they didn't consult me.

just strum
January 6th, 2009, 11:19 AM
The end result of the USC and Penn: "Give Penn credit, they played hard"

End result of Texas and Ohio State: "They can't win a bowl game, they suck..."

I only caught the first half, Ohio State won 6 to 3!!!

Bloozcat
January 6th, 2009, 11:55 AM
The end result of the USC and Penn: "Give Penn credit, they played hard"

End result of Texas and Ohio State: "They can't win a bowl game, they suck..."

I only caught the first half, Ohio State won 6 to 3!!!

Oh, I think Ohio State played hard...as hard as they could. I don't think that Texas did and that's why the game was perceived as a "good game". It was artifically close, in my opinion. Texas may be a little surprised when the end of the season rankings come out and the polsters don't reward them with the ranking they think they deserve. I think Ohio State's problem is an institutional one, not a motivational one.

And I don't think Penn State played particularly well, but I'd say it was as well as they could play against USC. USC played their game and won it. There was no need for them run up of the score excessively, they just exploited their advantages and won handily. I think Penn State was over-matched just as Ohio State was. I just think that Texas didn't play to their capability.

R_of_G
January 6th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Judging Texas unworthy of championship contention by that game alone seems arbitrary. I have no idea how an evaluation of that game proves anything about Texas' stacking up to Oklahoma. Oklahoma wasn't in the game.

It may reflect a bit on Mack Brown's ability to get his guys fired up for a game, but that's not even close to the same thing as a measure of how good a team it is. I'm surprised they were motivated at all to even show up for the game. They could have won by 100 points and it wouldn't have made a difference to anyone. They still had to play the 10th ranked team while a team that they beat on a neutral field gets to play for a championship.

Last night's game proved to me exactly two things...

1. Colt McCoy is the best QB in college football. There is no way I am listening to any more arguments about Bradford. McCoy does more with less. It's no contest to me which one is better and when they met head to head, McCoy beat him. He now holds the FBS (Div 1) record for highest completion percentage in a season. I know which one I'd rather have.

2. Texas can come back when they have to. I don't see it as a negative as has been suggested. It's the mark of a champion to win when they are down. Championship teams are not necessarily teams that lead from whistle to whistle. They are the teams that get it done and win the game when the clock hits 0:00. The attitude they showed and how much they won by is completely irrelevant. When the game was over, Texas won. It's that simple. That they still won even though it was a lackluster effort shows how good they really are. They only have to turn it on for a few minutes here and there and they can still win. If it were a playoff, they'd advance.

What else did they have to prove? Post season rankings are meaningless. Do you think they care if they are 3 or 5 or 25? They won all but 1 game and that's all they care about.

Bloozcat
January 6th, 2009, 01:07 PM
Blooz, tell us how you really feel!
I don't know what you mean by "take on competition from other conferences." Michigan traditionally has had two tough pre-Big-10 games (usually Notre Dame and somebody else) and a cupcake. Granted the past couple of years haven't been the best for ND, but it's not like they picked on Girl Scout Troop 101 either. I challenge you to find me one major program that routinely schedules road games against non-conference top 10 opposition.

Michigan's bowl record has not been good . . . except when they play the supposedly dominant SEC. Let's not forget last year when Michigan beat Florida and Heisman winner Tim Tebow. It would've been an annihilation had Mike Hart not had several uncharacteristic fumbles. And that wasn't a very good Michigan team.

I can also guarantee you that you won't have to worry about Michigan being in the top 10 pre-season next year. I'd be flabbergasted if they were ranked at all--at any point. I don't have much faith in RichRod, to be honest. I'd much rather see Michigan play a pro-style offense. For some reason, they didn't consult me.

Yes, you are right about this, marnold. It's a stereotype from the not too distant past. Michigan has become a little more adventurous in recent years. I distinctly remember back in the 80's/90's when both Miami and Florida State were national power teams, and they both scheduled games with Michigan. Both teams went to Ann Arbor and beat Michigan, but Michigan refused to reciprocate with a game at either Florida school's home field. Michigan's excuse was, because the "big house" holds so many more people, more revenue would be generated by playing there. The Florida schools thought it was just good sportsmanship to reciprocate. That was the end of that...except for the lingering animosity of the fans in Florida who remember this. By the way, Ohio State and Miami did meet several times during this period, at neutral sites.

With a playoff game for most of the large conferences now a reality, most BCS conference schools pretty much dropped the games they once played against other large conference teams.

Notre Dame used to be a tough rival for Michigan, but that's certainly not the case now. You're right, they're not Girl Scout Troop 101...more like Troop 102...:D That's certainly not Michigan's fault though either.

We beat Hawaii!, We beat Hawaii!,...at what Notre Dame, surfing?

So, who's this "other" tough pre-big ten game Michigan plays? Appalachian State? (sorry for the dig, that one will take some time to live down :) ) One of the PAC Ten schools?

Ah, yes, last years (non-BCS) Capital One bowl game...

Both Florida and Michigan came into the game with identical 9-4 records, but Florida was ranked #9 and Michigan wasn't ranked at all. To sum it up, after a disappointing season of high expectations, Florida entered the game a little flat. Michigan came in on an emotional high for Lloyd Carr's last game as Michigan coach. Bottom line: Michigan wanted it more and they played like it. Florida underestimated Michigan and the Wolverines took advantage of it. No excuses for Florida and none heard from Tim Tebow after the game. But what a difference a year makes...

One of the major gripes from fans of teams in conferences other than the Big Ten is the preferential treatment Big Ten schools (read, Ohio State and Michigan) get in the pre-season polls. So often at least one of the teams that ends up in the championship game, starts much further down in the rankings and has to claw their way up, while Michigan and Ohio State get a pass. Even so, Michigan and Ohio State are rarely able to hold onto their lofty gift rankings and they usually drop out of contention. Unfortunately for college football, Ohio State didn't fall in the rankings the last two years and it took major beat downs for them before they were exposed as the "pretenders" I spoke of. Meanwhile, some other more deserving team was locked out of a shot at the championship game. It's those "sycophant pollsters", and the horribly flawed BCS who are responsible for this and not the Big Ten as a conference. But, who gets the blame? And who suffers with yet another anti-climatic championship game?

Oh, and don't be too quick to throw Rodriguez under the bus just yet. He may be the only hope for Michigan to get pulled kicking and screaming, 5-yards and a cloud of dust at a time, into the 21st century. Pro set offenses are great if you have superior athletes with SPEED at all positions like the pro's do. Otherwise, you'll just be sitting ducks for the teams with the fast defenses and the inovative offenses. Trust me, as a Miami Hurricane fan I watched them win many championships with that pro-set formula. That's why there are almost 50 former Hurricanes on active rosters in the NFL today. They were pro ready when they stepped off the college football field.

Now, if only the Hurricanes could get that magic back....:D

Bloozcat
January 6th, 2009, 01:32 PM
If there was a playoff system where the champion stands alone after beating all comers, I'd agree with you R_of_G. It wouldn't matter by how much they beat them, they beat them all.

But, such is not the case with the BCS system. Teams get matched up by a system that has a great deal of built-in ambiguity. With no head-to-head competition amongst all the so-called contenders, it's as arbitrary as it gets. The system is set up so that to get to the championship a team has to beat the living He** out of every team they face - and most importantly - the team they face in the big game. Then they must curry the favor of the gods (the pollsters), and finally they must please the xoxoxo's of the computer (which really likes beatings). It's the only thing they can be judged on. It's a straight vertical assent to the top.

In beating Ohio State last night Texas proved nothing other than that they beat the #10 team as they were expected to...and not very convincingly at that. They're the champion of the Fiesta Bowl and nothing more. In the screwed up BCS system, they should have beaten the snot out of Ohio State because that's what the computers expected. Even then, they wouldn't rise much beyond where they were when the entered the game, if at all. It isn't fair and it isn't right, it's just they way it is.

I don't like it any more than you do R_of_G

R_of_G
January 6th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure they could have proved anything to anyone to beating up on Ohio State last night. Had they done that, the sports press would dismiss it as the expected result. Other than win or lose on the field, it was a no-win situation for Texas.

What would really have come of them winning 66-0 or some other blowout? Were the sports writers really going to crown them "the real champions" if there was a close and ugly title game with OU & UF? Hardly. The only thing Texas could have done is vie for #2 in the post-season poll, which is completely meaningless.

It's nice to see so many people here agree that a playoff system would be a more equitable way of solving this question. Too bad we are unlikely to see it done, or done correctly, any time soon.

Bloozcat
January 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I get this image in my mind of some big fat guy with a cigar sticking out of his mouth. On his pocket are the letters BCS. A little boy in a football uniform with a Texas Longhorn logo on the helmet is standing next to him. The fat cat's patting the boy on the top of his helmet as he says,

"What's that sonny? You just beat Ohio State 66-0? Oooh-wee! Well, that's nice sonny. Now you just run along there, I've got some business with Mr. Oklahoma and Mr. Florida. You come back now, heeyuh."

...and such is the reward for those who Fate frowned upon...;)

R_of_G
January 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
If you could draw that, you'd have an accurate summary of this year's college football season. You could do a series of them with USC and Utah as well.

Me, I just see Jim Mora...

p3-eavMSBnk

just strum
January 6th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Boy, some of you guys seem to have it all figured out - update the resume, there are openings for head coaches in the NFL and soon will be in the college ranks.:D

Bloozcat
January 6th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Boy, some of you guys seem to have it all figured out - update the resume, there are openings for head coaches in the NFL and soon will be in the college ranks.:D

You sound like my wife now strum. She calls me "coach" on game day....:D

You know what they say (whoever "they" are). Opinions are like noses, everyone's got one....:rolleyes:

Some things are clear and others are more complicated. What's amazing to me is when so many see a simple, obvious, solution to a problem (like the playoffs) and yet the powers that be can't see it any better than a blind man. The difference is that the blind man wishes he had the sight to see it, while the BCS-ers seem to prefer their hysterical blindness.

just strum
January 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
You sound like my wife now strum. She calls me "coach" on game day....:D

You know what they say (whoever "they" are). Opinions are like noses, everyone's got one....:rolleyes:

Some things are clear and others are more complicated. What's amazing to me is when so many see a simple, obvious, solution to a problem (like the playoffs) and yet the powers that be can't see it any better than a blind man. The difference is that the blind man wishes he had the sight to see it, while the BCS-ers seem to prefer their hysterical blindness.

The playoff thing still amazes me. As for how a team gets better, the big thing now is speed, but if that was the answer, the teams would be loaded with nothing but track stars. Speed definitely made a difference this year.

I think it comes down to who has the best steroids.

Oh, at least you are called coach on game day, I usually do my best coaching on the day after and if that fails, I make a hell of a sports radio commentator. I would do TV sports, but I don't own a plaid sports coat (you know, the kind that matches Warren's shorts):D :pancake:

Bloozcat
January 7th, 2009, 07:30 AM
The playoff thing still amazes me. As for how a team gets better, the big thing now is speed, but if that was the answer, the teams would be loaded with nothing but track stars. Speed definitely made a difference this year.

I think it comes down to who has the best steroids.

Oh, at least you are called coach on game day, I usually do my best coaching on the day after and if that fails, I make a hell of a sports radio commentator. I would do TV sports, but I don't own a plaid sports coat (you know, the kind that matches Warren's shorts):D :pancake:

All you need is a Paul Brown hat and you're good to go, strum...:AOK:
http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/files/CMS/image/paulbrown.jpg

Brian Krashpad
January 7th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I love it that some Sooner sophomore mouthed off about Tebow being subpar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v26/BrianKrashpad/gatorchomp.gif

Bloozcat
January 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
I love it that some Sooner sophomore mouthed off about Tebow being subpar.

What's that saying?

Make your words soft and sweet...in case you have to eat them later...:D

R_of_G
January 7th, 2009, 11:09 AM
I agree that the kid was dumb to run his mouth off and give the Gators any more encouragement to kick their butts, but in fairness, the actual statement he made was accurate.

He said Tebow would only be the 4th best QB in the Big 12. I believe that's true. While he may definitely be a better athlete than McCoy, Bradford and Harrell, he is not a better QB.

Still, making the comment to the press before the game is not a good strategy. Of course, that kind of stupidity has been exhibited by the Gators as well, with UF's Brandon Spikes calling OU's defense a "joke". Another case of saying something that's accurate but that shouldn't have been said. OU's defense is a joke, especially compared to the UF defense which is the second best defense I saw all season.

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida_gators/2009-01-06/ufs_spikes_calls_ou_defense_a_joke

sunvalleylaw
September 19th, 2009, 07:46 PM
the UW Huskies defeat the spawn of accursed southern california entitlement and evil, USC! YES!!!!! I love it! Two wins for the Dawgs, and though I do not "hate" many teams, USC is, well, I'll just say not my favorite by a long shot. That annoying Tusk song alone is bad enough. Well, sorry to any USC fans out there, but I am celebrating tonight!!! :beer: :D

marnold
September 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
I thought that USC game was "interesting" too, although that REALLY makes the Big 10 look bad. I was hoping MSU could also knock off Notre Dame, but they choked. It took Michigan 10 weeks to get their third win. This year it took three. Granted, two of them were against the Little Sisters of the Poor. We won't know who Michigan really is until they face MSU, Penn State, and Ohio State.

R_of_G
September 20th, 2009, 09:12 AM
well you guys know i root for usc out of family loyalty, but that loss should be quite embarrassing for them. congratulations to washington for playing a better game, but that usc team seems to have a problem on the road against pac-10 opponents the week after a big non-conference game. i am sure this will be like last year, and they will roll over everyone between here and thanksgiving, but yesterday may have cost them any shot at a title game.

still, good for uw, and great for the pac-10. the more competitive the conference is, the better everyone's chances a pac-10 team can have a title shot.

sunvalleylaw
September 20th, 2009, 11:32 AM
I noticed the AP coverage opened with the line that USC fell victim to their post Ohio state lethargy, rather than falling victim to a hungry team that was better on that given day. Hmm, I disagree. Contrary to Joe McKnight's statement: "Washington wasn't the better team. They just outplayed us.", the Huskies were better yesterday. So with an even record and the Huskies triumphant over USC, shouldn't the Huskies be on top of USC in the polls rather than SC falling to 12 and the Huskies just entering? Seriously though, for many years, the Huskies played with entitlement and cockiness, and I do not want the Huskies losing any of their hungriness and work ethic just because they pulled on out over SC and beat Idaho, who they should beat on any day of the week.

mrmudcat
September 21st, 2009, 08:21 PM
This is tricky noles ,bama, canes, gators.........in that order or whoever is winning:rotflmao: I developed a hate thing for bamas coach after his fins debacle:D .........

R_of_G
September 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM
it's a final

#18 florida state - 7

university of south florida - 17

i had held off on posting in this thread the last three weeks because wins over wofford, western kentucky and charleston southern are not precisely accomplishments worthy of bragging.

however, today the unranked usf bulls went to tallahassee and took it to florida state, shutting down their offense almost entirely.

the bulls offense looked better than i'd expected a week after the injury loss of senior qb matt grothe (the big east's all time leading scorer). today they started true freshman qb b.j. daniels and the kid (mostly) looked comfortable and ready to go.

still, it was the defense that led the way today.

this is, without a doubt, the biggest win in the history of this program. for an 11 year old program to take out a ranked fsu team in tallahassee, this will go a long long way towards changing the face of recruiting the top prospects, both in florida and nationally.

go bulls!

:dude:

mrmudcat
September 26th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Yep I bow down .....:master: ............Gators and Roll Tide stomped though;)

Tebow hurt and Canes got spanked though:whatever: :thwap:

R_of_G
September 27th, 2009, 10:06 PM
i have a question about the tebow injury...

it's actually more about urban meyer

if the guy is really the genius coach everyone seems to think he is then why on earth would he have his superstar quarterback out there at all in the second half of a 31-7 game against kentucky?

it's kentucky and it's not basketball, so a comeback was not happening.

a real genius coach would have used the opportunity to get brantley some playing time.

of course i know why he had tebow out there

it's fairly obvious

they all want tebow to win consecutive heisman trophies, so meyer is giving him the opportunity to pad his stats. i find it kind of disturbing and it sucks that it wound up with tebow getting hurt.

mrmudcat
September 27th, 2009, 10:28 PM
100% agreed :beer:

sunvalleylaw
September 28th, 2009, 10:22 AM
No football love in the PNW this weekend. Huskies faltered with missteps against Stanford, and allowed Stanford to continue running to control the game/ Oh well. Still better than last year, and I hope the Huskies learn to tighten things up and compete.

marnold
September 28th, 2009, 10:43 AM
of course i know why he had tebow out there

it's fairly obvious

they all want tebow to win consecutive heisman trophies, so meyer is giving him the opportunity to pad his stats. i find it kind of disturbing and it sucks that it wound up with tebow getting hurt.
Basically. The thing is that if he gets hurt they are in a world of trouble.

R_of_G
September 28th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Basically. The thing is that if he gets hurt they are in a world of trouble.

one wonders if they're in trouble anyway

nobody can predict how an athlete's game may change post-concussion (or any injury really)

so many of them are never the same as they begin to fear contact and contact is what tebow's game is all about

we shall see how he does when plays again but meyer better hope for his sake that the kid is the same

msteeln
September 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM
The U. of Hawaii takes on WAC foe UNLV Wed. on USPN.
This game should show where the Warriors are this year. We have a young but good team this year, better than the preseason skank rank of #5 in the WAC (and should have won last week), but got some angry jaws (Fresno dawgs, etc.) coming up to deal with.

R_of_G
September 28th, 2009, 01:47 PM
so i know none of us understand how the ridiculous rankings work, but can someone venture an explanation as to how a 3-1 team outranks a 4-0 team when both are in the same conference?

yes, i am talking about ohio st and iowa.

as usual, ohio st has shown me nothing at all. iowa, on the other hand, looked damn good against penn state. since both play in the big 10, i don't get how nationally 3-1 beat 4-0.

i can't even pretend to understand the way the polls work anymore.

i used to roll my eyes at the whole joke of "strength of conference" putting one loss teams ahead of unbeaten teams from other "weaker" conferences, but iowa plays in the same conference as ohio st and they beat a ranked penn state team while so far the buckeyes have beaten such powerhouses as navy and toledo. yes, illinois is a decent team, but compared to beating penn state in happy valley? i am just tired of ohio state getting ahead on reputation alone.

marnold
September 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
i used to roll my eyes at the whole joke of "strength of conference" putting one loss teams ahead of unbeaten teams from other "weaker" conferences, but iowa plays in the same conference as ohio st and they beat a ranked penn state team while so far the buckeyes have beaten such powerhouses as navy and toledo. yes, illinois is a decent team, but compared to beating penn state in happy valley? i am just tired of ohio state getting ahead on reputation alone.
Two words: pre-season polls.

Those are the most worthless things in the world. That's how stuff like this happens. Wait until the first conference game is played, then rank 'em. Pre-season polls have very little relationship to reality and end up skewing things like this. The only good news here is that there's still plenty of season left to sort everything out. I foresee at least two inexplicable losses for Iowa yet.

For whatever reason, Iowa seems to have Penn State's number recently.

sunvalleylaw
October 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
GO HUSKIES!!!! BEAT NOTRE DAME!!!! :happy :beavisnbutthead: :yes

R_of_G
October 3rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
with several ranked teams losing and usf winning (again) i expect to find my bulls among the top 25 this week. there is no excuse for keeping them out of the top 25 if some of these other teams remain in.

also, the notre dame/washington game is reminding me what i hate about the way college football does overtime. this is the biggest joke ever. i am not a fan of the shootout in hockey either. i don't enjoy contrived situations to settle a game. just play more actual game.

just strum
October 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
also, the notre dame/washington game is reminding me what i hate about the way college football does overtime. this is the biggest joke ever. i am not a fan of the shootout in hockey either. i don't enjoy contrived situations to settle a game. just play more actual game.

Just curious, what do you think of the NFL OT system? I personally think it is a joke. In most cases the game is decided by a flip of a coin.

R_of_G
October 3rd, 2009, 06:29 PM
Just curious, what do you think of the NFL OT system? I personally think it is a joke. In most cases the game is decided by a flip of a coin.

i have heard this before.

i strongly disagree.

if the team that loses the toss can play defense and make a stop, the outcome is not a foregone conclusion.

defense is key in the nfl system. if you can't make a stop, you don't deserve to win the game.

i think what i enjoy though is that it is an actual situation, kickoff, return, downs, etc. as opposed to placing the ball at a specific point and giving both teams a chance to play from there. that's so contrived.

sunvalleylaw
October 3rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
also, the notre dame/washington game is reminding me what i hate about the way college football does overtime. this is the biggest joke ever.

Or soccer shoot outs. I was not happy with it either, but WA gave it a go, and on the road. The pride is coming back to the program it seems at least.

R_of_G
October 3rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
no doubt steve, win or lose, washington has shown they are on the way up. if they accomplish nothing else, they've already improved their recruiting stance going into the next few years and that's how one builds a program.

and yes, soccer shootouts go in the mix as well.

could you imagine if baseball decided to ditch extra innings in favour of a home-run derby type scenario, or if basketball ties were settled by a series of foul shots? those two sports at least realize, the best way to settle an unsettled game is by playing more of the game.

just strum
October 4th, 2009, 03:39 PM
...or if basketball ties were settled by a series of foul shots?

They play for a set time period, not until the first one scores in OT. I understand your beliefs in defense, we share that, but sudden death just doesn't make it for me.

But that is NFL, so I digress.

R_of_G
October 4th, 2009, 04:25 PM
They play for a set time period, not until the first one scores in OT. I understand your beliefs in defense, we share that, but sudden death just doesn't make it for me.

But that is NFL, so I digress.

it's not a digression at all my friend, it all ties in. :D

obviously in basketball sudden death is not practical as even with the tightest defense, basketball is the sport in which scoring is most probable.

but in football, baseball, or hockey i think there's a reasonable expectation that the defense should be able to pitch a shutout.

just strum
October 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
it's not a digression at all my friend, it all ties in. :D

obviously in basketball sudden death is not practical as even with the tightest defense, basketball is the sport in which scoring is most probable.

but in football, baseball, or hockey i think there's a reasonable expectation that the defense should be able to pitch a shutout.

I will say the Browns/Bengals game proved your point today.

R_of_G
October 4th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I will say the Browns/Bengals game proved your point today.

yes, if the browns defense could have made a stop on that 4th and 11, they'd have won that game.

sunvalleylaw
October 11th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Congrats to the Gator fans!! I am no LSU fan and am glad to see the Gators win it.

The Huskies closed down AZ's run pretty well but were getting hurt by short passes directly left or right. Down by more than a touchdown with about 4 min to go, Locker gets one touchdown to bring it closer at 2:55, then an enterprising linebacker reads the same pass play, moves to jump the route, the Arizona quarterback read it, and tried hitting a receiver a few more yards down the field – except the ball was behind the receiver, bounced off the receiver's foot, ricocheted backward, hit the linebacker in the arm, who grabbed it and was off to the races on a 37-yard interception return for a touchdown. YEEEE-HAAHHHH!!!!

Of course not a dominant performance by the Huskies. But staying in it and remaining competitive, Locker making a drive to close the gap, and be in position for the weird defensive play, is a whole lot better than before. Go Huskies!

I may have to get some better cable coverage so I can watch this stuff live.

R_of_G
October 11th, 2009, 02:33 PM
i'd like to see the gators drop in the polls. how many times in the past have we seen a top team not win by a large enough margin and get dropped?

and i still don't get how ohio state outranks cincinnati.

usf plays cincinnati this thursday.

that should be a great game.

i hope so anyway.

mrmudcat
October 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Bama and Gators would be fun ..........:happy

Great games yesterday and frankly I have been enjoying saturday real men football as opposed to sunday flag football........NFL has really pansified this year with girly rules and bad calls by the refs.........NFL Q.B.'S might as well start taking yoga classes:happy

I seen more hits on Q.B.'S(as well as overall hitting, tackles) on saturday no flags than last sunday's "pro" games:thwap

Childbride
October 17th, 2009, 01:57 PM
i think the ou game just gave me a bleeding ulcer...

R_of_G
October 17th, 2009, 04:57 PM
at least it finished up the right way

:dude <--- this is the hook 'em horns smiley, right?

not the best showing the other night from my usf bulls. cincinnati is good but we just didn't show up on defense. it's a shame. oh well. let's see if the bulls implode after one loss like they have the last two years or hold it together and still make a respectable bowl game as an 11-1 team.

Childbride
October 17th, 2009, 08:51 PM
21 penalties and 8 turnovers.

i never watch the ou game, it was a fluke... shiner turned it on while he was mowing the yard and i was practicing.

rivalries are rivalries, and the ou game is a huge one for my team. but i hate to see the personal fouls, and both teams were guilty of them.

i'll still drink a beer and be happy for the outcome.:beer:

R_of_G
October 18th, 2009, 06:40 AM
so i thought it necessary to bring this up

ohio state lost to purdue?

really?

did i not question how an ohio state team with one loss could have been ranked ahead of an unbeaten cincinnati?

i'm pretty sure the cincinnati team i saw thursday night could beat purdue.

these rankings are meaningless and are meant to set up a "championship" game the tv networks and their sponsors will enjoy, not a true championship

oh, and terrelle pryor has the makings to be the second coming of jamarcus russell

the kid has all the physical talent in the world but no brain in his head to know which skills to use when

Brian Krashpad
October 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Bama and Gators would be fun ..........:happy

SEC Championship Game, baby.

R_of_G
October 25th, 2009, 10:17 PM
ok the new polls are out

and it's really just a joke already

how can alabama still be #2

every other year the teams that don't win big enough are punished but when alabama squeaks past unranked tennessee on a blocked kick on the final play of the game while texas takes missouri behind the woodshed it becomes beyond preposterous. florida also struggled with mississippi state more than the scoreboard indicates.

all i know is that right now we are looking at the possibility of having the season end with 6 undefeated teams (obviously florida or alabama will have one loss because they will play each other in the sec title game).

are we really prepared to call it acceptable that with 6 undefeated teams we can allow two of them to be put ahead of the others because of what a computer thinks about the conferences they play in?

say what you will about the big east, i have seen cincinnati play. just like i said about utah last year, until someone beats them on the field, i don't care where they play, they have as much right to play for a title as any sec or big 12 team.

or must they go to a lesser bowl and humiliate an sec team like utah did to alabama last year?

if the bcs isn't over after this year, i think i may be done with college football. it just seems pointless.

just strum
November 14th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Well, I have to admit I predicted a loss for Ohio State and I thought it might happen (choke syndrome), but they will be in the Rose Bowl, but not against USC (55-21 :what ).

sunvalleylaw
November 15th, 2009, 09:20 AM
I have always enjoyed the innocent energy of college football vs. the more battle hardened efficiency between plays, etc. displayed typically in the pros. But the whole poll thing is just to be ignored. I really don't care beyond the Pac-10 championship/Rosebowl, as that at least is a regular season and a result based on actual performance.

This year, the Huskies lured me back in to paying attention a bit (well, I always pay attention to some extent. I just love Husky games) with some early wins and that victory over USC, but have dropped 4 since. Well, the Apple Cup is still coming up. It is always a game unto itself. An Apple Cup party is where I met my wife too. I may have to try to find a feed.

250Keith
November 15th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Go Ducks!

R_of_G
November 15th, 2009, 06:07 PM
funny, as much as i love the game itself of college football, i am so frustrated with this idiotic bcs system of picking a champion that i am about ready to scrap any interest in college football.

with a couple more wins, cincinnati will be this year's team to get jobbed out of a chance to prove themselves on the field.

no offense to tcu and boise state, but it is easier to argue that they play virtually nobody (except a couple of games here or there).

cincy on the other hand has beaten more ranked teams (at the time of the games themselves) than anyone.

i don't buy into the whole notion that the sec and big 12 are automatically the stronger conferences.

quite clearly the pac-10 is more evenly distributed than people thought it was, and it is downright insulting at this point that nobody sees the big east for what it is (or the acc for that matter).

anyone who thinks a team from another conference can't stack up against the mighty sec or big-12 should go ahead and ask alabama or oklahoma how their bowl games went against utah and boise state. play the game and we'll see who wins.

so the bcs can take texas (whom i love out of family loyalty) and they can take the winner of florida/alabama and declare them the championship contenders, but until someone beats cincinnati on the field of play, this is the best team i've seen this season.

florida seems to struggle more often than a number one team should to attain victories against non-ranked teams.

texas kills the tomato can teams, but who cares?

alabama is strong, no doubt about it, and of the three, perhaps the most deserving of the high ranking.

but, if they make it through the next two games without a loss (one being against now #8 ranked pitt) cincinnati deserves a shot at a title just as much, if not MORE than florida does. no offense gator fans, but you've played pretty much nobody of any consequence.

so yeah, as usual, it's gotten to that time when i realize that without playoffs, the whole thing becomes meaningless.