PDA

View Full Version : Sansamp GT2 - Whoho what a sound!

SuperSwede
October 17th, 2007, 10:04 AM
I just want to say that anyone interested in quality tones should try the Tech 21 Sansamp GT2 (or the Trademark 10/30 which basically sound the same)!!
Chances are that it will be the only overdrive/distorsion pedal that you´ll ever want/need. It also doubles as an excellent direct recording device.

I mainly use it for recording purposes, and when you add some reverb you can dial in a lot of sweet sounds. British/American or something in between? No problems.

For me, the GT2 sounds best when connected to a sp.sim. I use Guitar Rig2 and let me tell you that the Tweed Hi-Gain setting sounds awesome through a 60´s Marshall cab!

The PodXT is under threat of extermination, and that says a lot (you XT owners know what I´m talking about!).

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hey I happen to love my POD 2.0!

Record something for us Swede. I'd be interested in hearing that the unit is capable of.

SuperSwede
October 17th, 2007, 10:16 AM
Hey I happen to love my POD 2.0!

Record something for us Swede. I'd be interested in hearing that the unit is capable of.

Heh.. the Marshall style setting can scare any fender tweed loving guy big time. I promise, anything past drive 5 will make them wet their pants and run crying home to momma. I KNOW you love that kind of ballsy tone Rob :)

I´ll try to record something later on! :AOK:

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Heh.. the Marshall style setting can scare any fender tweed loving guy big time. I promise, anything past drive 5 will make them wet their pants and run crying home to momma. I KNOW you love that kind of ballsy tone Rob :)

I´ll try to record something later on! :AOK:

Coolio thanks. Do something on your Schecter. Something Marshally.

SuperSwede
October 17th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Ahem... I made something really quick for you. I use the same settings as my blues tweed setting, I just changed from tweed to british. Drive is set halfway, hi-gain.

No funny jokes, this was a quick improvisation and I dont know how to play this YJM shit... lol

*edit* strange upload problem

try this: http://www.box.net/shared/n59ozr57mv

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Ahem... I made something really quick for you. I use the same settings as my blues tweed setting, I just changed from tweed to british. Drive is set halfway, hi-gain.

No funny jokes, this was a quick improvisation and I dont know how to play this YJM shit... lol

*edit* strange upload problem

try this: http://www.box.net/shared/n59ozr57mv

So this girl in a biniki walks up to the bar and says....

Blues tweed setting eh buddy? Did you use the Schecter? It's got the midrange Marshall bite for sure. How about a foto of it so eyez can see what the box looks like. :Dude:

SuperSwede
October 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM
So this girl in a biniki walks up to the bar and says....

Blues tweed setting eh buddy? Did you use the Schecter? It's got the midrange Marshall bite for sure. How about a foto of it so eyez can see what the box looks like. :Dude:

The amp switch changes the sound A LOT! :-)

http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn/large/sansamp-gt2.jpg

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Cool toy buddy! That should keep you out of trouble for awhile. :beer: Btw do you still have your Tonelab?

SuperSwede
October 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Cool toy buddy! That should keep you out of trouble for awhile. :beer: Btw do you still have your Tonelab?

The tonelab is long gone... I dont keep stuff for long periods.

Tone2TheBone
October 17th, 2007, 01:30 PM
The tonelab is long gone... I dont keep stuff for long periods.

Neither do I right Sun? I buy I sell and I buy again.

SuperSwede
October 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Yup, we get bored with stuff easily... its must be some kind of syndrome.

marnold
October 17th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Very nice. Did you record that direct from the pedal or through an amp?

SuperSwede
October 18th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Very nice. Did you record that direct from the pedal or through an amp?

Direct but I added extra speaker sim + reverb.

stingx
October 18th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Swede, that recording sounded fantastic! I was looking on the 'Bay to score an original Sans Amp. I used to own one but have no idea what became of it over the years. This sounds amazing and I like the look of the GT2 better. Thanks for posting the clip.

tot_Ou_tard
October 18th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Yup, we get bored with stuff easily... its must be some kind of syndrome.
I started to read what you wrote...but eh, what's the bother ;).

That Sansamp GT2 looks cool. It does't do cab modelling does it?

---ooops, I just noticed your post that said you added speaker sim after the sansamp.

That'll show me for easily drifing off...yaAAwwn ;)

sunvalleylaw
October 18th, 2007, 09:11 AM

Yep, I have been a collection point for Tone's castaways. Nice castaways though! Swede, did you say that the little amps made by Tech 21 get the same Marshally sounds? (Well, your fingers have a lot to do with it for sure, but you know what I mean). Sounds great!

SuperSwede
October 19th, 2007, 05:45 AM
Pete, imho the GT2 sounds better than the classic, especially the more modern sounds. The F.E.T transistor delivers a really fat sound with a lot of bite. The Tri-AC sounds awesome as well.

Tot, the GT2 has speaker & mic simulation built in. But I prefer to use external sp.sims.

Steve, the Trademark series has a built in sansamp. It doesnt sound exactly the same, but its pretty close.

tot_Ou_tard
October 19th, 2007, 06:15 AM
Tot, the GT2 has speaker & mic simulation built in. But I prefer to use external sp.sims.

Is it the size of a standard stomp-box?

SuperSwede
October 19th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Is it the size of a standard stomp-box?

Pretty much.. here is a quick pic with a pick & a 33 centiliter can.

Robert
October 19th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Which one of those two items do you grab first? :D

marnold
October 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Pretty much.. here is a quick pic with a pick & a 33 centiliter can.
33 centiliter? You Euros and your moon-man measurements.

But seriously folks, I'm going to have to try one of these out one of these days. In perusing the Talk Bass forums, a lot of folks mention the bass Sansamp as their "go to" pedal. I especially like that you can use the GT2 with basses too.

SuperSwede
October 19th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Here is a quick recording of what the Tweed>Hi Gain setting sounds like. Bridge single coil, the gain is at 2 o´clock. Its played through the same Guitar Rig 2 Marshall cab as the last recording.

http://www.box.net/shared/8uxk1bvb0e

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Which one of those two items do you grab first? :D
OSHA safety requirements demand that you grab the cylindar first for safety! :beer:

stingx
October 19th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Here is a quick recording of what the Tweed>Hi Gain setting sounds like. Bridge single coil, the gain is at 2 o´clock. Its played through the same Guitar Rig 2 Marshall cab as the last recording.

http://www.box.net/shared/8uxk1bvb0e

Sounds stunning, Swede. I'm hooked!

SuperSwede
October 19th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Sounds stunning, Swede. I'm hooked!

There´s some sound samples at http://tech21nyc.com/gt2.html

eichaan
November 3rd, 2007, 11:21 PM
The clips of your GT-2 sound great. Can you tell me the approximate settings of the knobs (not the dip switches) for your blues clip (gt2bluestest.mp3)? I have the same pedal, and would like to try your settings myself.

Thanks!

SuperSwede
November 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM
The clips of your GT-2 sound great. Can you tell me the approximate settings of the knobs (not the dip switches) for your blues clip (gt2bluestest.mp3)? I have the same pedal, and would like to try your settings myself.

Thanks!

Ehrmm actually I cant because I dont remember. But I usually have Low at 12 and High at 10-11 o´clock. Mic switch always set to classic.

*edit* here is my current setting which works both for Tweed and British.