PDA

View Full Version : Are resistors directional?

Spudman
October 17th, 2007, 06:07 PM
I'm wiring up a treble bleed circuit on a Strat and it calls for a capacitor and resistor wired in parallel. Is the resistor directional? Does it matter which colored line goes which direction? I know the capacitor isn't directional.

pie_man_25
October 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
I don't know, unforunately I don't have any of my books handy at the moment, but I'll tell you ASAP.

duhvoodooman
October 17th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Is the resistor directional? Does it matter which colored line goes which direction?
No.

BTW, some capacitors--electrolytics, primarily--are "directional" (actually "polarized" is the correct term), but not the ones you'd be using, I'm sure. They'd be ceramic or polyester film, I'd be willing to bet.

Spudman
October 17th, 2007, 06:52 PM
No.

BTW, some capacitors--electrolytics, primarily--are "directional" (actually "polarized" is the correct term), but not the ones you'd be using, I'm sure. They'd be ceramic or polyester film, I'd be willing to bet.

Great! Thanks Voodoo. I am using one of those little orange capacitors. Then I'm all good to go. Clips and pics may be coming soon.

tot_Ou_tard
October 17th, 2007, 07:12 PM
What Vood said.

M29
October 17th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah man what Vood said:D

M29

Rocket
October 17th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Think of a resistor as pumping oil through a barrel of sand... doesn't matter which way you pump, it'll encounter the same resistance either way.

tot_Ou_tard
October 17th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Think of a resistor as pumping oil through a barrel of sand... doesn't matter which way you pump, it'll encounter the same resistance either way.
I'd rephrase it to say that the resistor *is* the barrel of sand. The rest of the circuit is the pump.

Rocket
October 17th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I'd rephrase it to say that the resistor *is* the barrel of sand. The rest of the circuit is the pump.
Exactly!

Tone2TheBone
October 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Spud skip the resistor. It changes the taper of the pot...you may or may not like that.

Big_Rob
October 18th, 2007, 09:30 AM
The only way a resistor is directional is if it has an arrow pointing the direction the current is supposed to flow printed on it. Usually it doesnt matter though. Ohms are Ohms

Spudman
October 18th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Spud skip the resistor. It changes the taper of the pot...you may or may not like that.

Sure. Now you speak up. You just wanted me to get it done, put all the screws in the pick guard and put new strings on it didn't ya? Well it doesn't matter. It works great. :p

Tone2TheBone
October 18th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Sure. Now you speak up. You just wanted me to get it done, put all the screws in the pick guard and put new strings on it didn't ya? Well it doesn't matter. It works great. :p

Good! That will be a bag of Cheetos please. Btw which guitar did you put it in?