PDA

View Full Version : What would you do for cables?

Spudman
October 17th, 2007, 08:06 PM
I have a nice 50 foot guitar cable that I want to turn into shorter cables, and I have ends to solder on. Would you suggest I make 3-16.5 foot cables or 2-25 foot cables, or should I forget the whole thing and just have a cold beer?

ET335
October 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
I have a nice 50 foot guitar cable that I want to turn into shorter cables, and I have ends to solder on. Would you suggest I make 3-16.5 foot cables or 2-25 foot cables, or should I forget the whole thing and just have a cold beer?
Hey Spud.. make 3= 16.5 foot cables and then have a beer or 2 or 3 !!:AOK:

Robert
October 17th, 2007, 09:33 PM
The shorter cables, the better.

Same principle applies for beer. The more beer, the better.

Spudman
October 17th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Well...I had a beer and thought about it. I'm going with 3 cables. That would give me approximately 13 feet to the pedal board then another 16 to roam. And how many time do you ever get to play on a stage that gives you 16 feet to move anyway?:reallymad:

Anyway I probably shouldn't be playing with a soldering iron right now :messedup: so I might just go for a drive instead.

I guess I could just give the third cable away to some lucky fretter that can tell me what my 3rd grade teacher's name was.

sunvalleylaw
October 17th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Sister Mary Francis?

Spudman
October 17th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Sister Mary Francis?
M I N E ! Not yours.

FYI. If you are ever making your own cables...be sure to put the barrel on the cable BEFORE you solder the tips on.:messedup:

t_ross33
October 17th, 2007, 10:59 PM
You should have stuck with the beers. :beer:

Just being a noodge, but isn't there something about capacitance (or is it resistance - I not much of an electronitian) in cables that make longer cables more tone-worthy.

Maybe I'll just join you in another beer. :beer: Skoal!

Spudman
October 17th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I'm not sure I need another beer. I got pretty fluxed up tonight. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

kiteman
October 18th, 2007, 04:57 AM
5 ten footers :)

Robert
October 18th, 2007, 07:10 AM
It's the opposite. The shorter, the better they sound.

You should have stuck with the beers. :beer:

Just being a noodge, but isn't there something about capacitance (or is it resistance - I not much of an electronitian) in cables that make longer cables more tone-worthy.

Maybe I'll just join you in another beer. :beer: Skoal!

tunghaichuan
October 18th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Spudman,

On some cables there is a black inner shield that is conductive. It surrounds the center conductor but is insulated from it. I found out the hard way that shorting this inner shield to the center conductor really dulls the sound of the cable. Just a heads up.

tung

sunvalleylaw
October 18th, 2007, 08:56 AM
M I N E ! Not yours.

FYI. If you are ever making your own cables...be sure to put the barrel on the cable BEFORE you solder the tips on.:messedup:

Nah, she was my 6th grade teacher. But that's right, you went to that military academy for wayward children, didn't you?:messedup: :rotflmao:

Spudman
October 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
So here is what I did.

I got a pretty good 50 foot guitar cable from Sweetwater Sound and a couple of Neutrik right angle plugs. Did a patient solder job (flux makes all the difference in the world) and ended up with 3 new cables for cheap. Added heat shrink material for strain relief and now I'm good to go.

Props go out to the guys at Ear Candy Cabinets for treating me to the Neutrik plugs. I ordered something from them and they just threwhttp://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w149/srspud/Guitars/koreansquier031.jpg a whole bunch of extra plugs in with the order. Great guys, great cabinets!

kiteman
October 18th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Looks very professionally done spud. I got a 15 and a 25 footers I need to repair. I like those ends. :)

Spudman
October 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I think you can get heat shrink material at Radio Shack. It's cheap and if it gets me more mileage out of a cable by providing extra strain relief then I'm all for it.

kiteman
October 18th, 2007, 07:14 PM
My cables got strain reliefs as long as what's in the pics but they still break. Rapco's the brand and probably cheap but $16 and $20 don't sound cheap to me.

ted s
October 18th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I'm thinking 50 1 footers would have turned you into a soldering pro Spuds.

Spudman
October 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I'm thinking 50 1 footers would have turned you into a soldering pro Spuds.

I don't know why I didn't think of that. I love self improvement.:thwap:

kiteman
October 19th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I don't know why I didn't think of that. I love self improvement.:thwap:

I hope you have a bunch of pedals to make use of these cables. :)

Spudman
October 19th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I hope you have a bunch of pedals to make use of these cables. :)

No shortage there.