PDA

View Full Version : Travel guitar recommendations?

scorona
October 17th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Anyone have an recommendations or experience with acoustic or electric travel guitars (e.g. Traveler, Martin Backpacker, etc.)? I've been doing quite a bit of travel for work lately and miss being able to practice during the week. I don't feel comfortable taking my existing guitars on a plane.

Thanks.

YerDugliness
October 18th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Anyone have an recommendations or experience with acoustic or electric travel guitars
Thanks.

Scorona, check out the cool electric travel guitar on this thread, about halfway down the page:

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4430&page=3

That little Fender amp is smaller than a 6 pack--good sound, and not too loud for motel room use.

A good friend took an acoustic Martin travel guitar on his trek along the Appalachian Trail. Although he didn't make it all the way to the north end, he did have music all the way! He had nothing but good things to say about it.

Dugly :cool:

evenkeel
October 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Anyone have an recommendations or experience with acoustic or electric travel guitars (e.g. Traveler, Martin Backpacker, etc.)? I've been doing quite a bit of travel for work lately and miss being able to practice during the week. I don't feel comfortable taking my existing guitars on a plane.

Thanks.

I've played the Washburn Rover, the little Martin and Baby Taylor in stores and came away very impressed. Not a D-18 by any means but pretty nice little guitars. The Martin back packer sounds like a uke to me, but for motel practicing would be fine.

For what it's worth, I've flown many times with a guitar. Always checked it and never had a problem. Both pre and post 9-11. Now, I'd be leary about checking a good guitar, like your fender fat strat or taylor. A cheap, but good sounding beater in a really good case, I'd have no problems with checking as regular luggage.

Rocket
October 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
For what it's worth, I've flown many times with a guitar. Always checked it and never had a problem. Both pre and post 9-11. Now, I'd be leary about checking a good guitar, like your fender fat strat or taylor. A cheap, but good sounding beater in a really good case, I'd have no problems with checking as regular luggage.
One of mine (LP-SL) went missing on a US Air flight last year. Return flight from NYC. They bought me a new one... but not quite the same!

Big_Rob
October 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Ive got a Backpacker and it sounds pretty good. Although I think I has more of a Banjo sound it it, I bring it anytime I go on vacation or on a road trip when I cant bring my full sized guitar.

sunvalleylaw
October 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
The Backpacker sure is convenient. The action on the one I have access to is very high compared to my full acoustic. If it were mine, I would want to work on that. But is sure is nice to have to plunk on and easy to travel with.

scorona
October 23rd, 2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I tried a Martin Backpacker at my local guitar shop yesterday. I was a little disappointed in that it felt kinda clumsy, difficult to balance in my lap and play. I tried a baby taylor and a little martin as well, both felt and sounded great, played very nicely. I've also read good things about the Washburn Rover. Hope to try one of those out next.

sunvalleylaw
October 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
I really rely on a strap when I play the backpacker. Balancing the little guitar in you lap is really tough. Once you get used to playing with it resting on the strap and not your lap, it gets easier. Definately a compromise though for its "packability".

Big_Rob
October 26th, 2007, 09:36 PM
You most definitly have to have a strap for the backpacker. And the whole secret to playing it is that you have to rest your forearm on the body

jpfeifer
October 27th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Scorona,

I've been traveling for my work for the past 10 years or so. I've tried a lot of the travel guitars.

The one that I like the best right now is the Traveler Speedster. It plays great and easily fits in the overhead luggage for most airlines. Here is a link to the one that I bought:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traveler-Speedster-Travel-Electric-Guitar-518703-i1150119.gc

I also bought a pocket sized practice amp and headphones to go with it. I bought the Korg PX4D. Here is a link to it.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPX4D

The combination of these two items is great. I can put on the headphones and jam away without bothering anyone.

-- Jim

scorona
October 28th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hey Jim, thanks for the recommendation. Just curious, did you try some of the other Traveler models before you settled on the Speedster?

sunvalleylaw
October 28th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Scorona,

I've been traveling for my work for the past 10 years or so. I've tried a lot of the travel guitars.

The one that I like the best right now is the Traveler Speedster. It plays great and easily fits in the overhead luggage for most airlines. Here is a link to the one that I bought:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Traveler-Speedster-Travel-Electric-Guitar-518703-i1150119.gc

I also bought a pocket sized practice amp and headphones to go with it. I bought the Korg PX4D. Here is a link to it.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--KORPX4D

The combination of these two items is great. I can put on the headphones and jam away without bothering anyone.

-- Jim
That Speedster looks really cool. I wonder how the Korg unit compares with the Pocket Pod. They both look cool.

jpfeifer
October 28th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I didn't get a chance to try some of the other Traveler guitar models. This newer model called the "Escape EG1" looks like a great one. That's the one I would look at if I were buying a new one today. It looks like a small Les Paul shaped guitar. A guy named John Carruthers helped design it. He is a guitar builder in L.A. I used to visit his shop when I lived there many years ago and he makes fantastic guitars.

-- Jim