PDA

View Full Version : Musicians Gear LP hardshell case

Spudman
October 18th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Just got the Musicians Gear Les Paul hard shell case from Musicians Friend.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Gear-Les-Paul-Hardshell-Case?sku=540949

I was looking for a more protective long term storage and sturdier travel case than a gig bag for my Epiphone Les Paul. I have one Epiphone case so I'll compare it to that.

The outside is all covered in a black Tolex type material and it has a chrome metal bumper at the body end instead of the four chrome feet the Epi cases have. The inside is soft and completely glued correctly. The padding all the way around and at the ends isn't quite as thick as the Epi case. There is a small inner storage compartment for smaller things. 4 buckles instead of the Epi's 5. It isn't quite as heavy duty as the Ephiphone cases, but it does come with 2 keys for the lock.

The price is $20 less than an Epiphone Les Paul case, but if you are interested in a more sturdy protection for an extremely long term investment guitar then I would suggest to skip this case. However, it would be a good addition to sweeten a deal if you are trying to sell a guitar. You can charge more for the whole deal and get enough extra cash to get a better case for yourself and still make that buyer a happy person with a new case.

In summary: Good but not real good. 4.25 on a five scale.

Algonquin
October 19th, 2007, 04:51 AM
A very good, honest review Spudman.

Thanks for taking the time to post this for everyone.

Much appreciated!

Cheers, :beer:

duhvoodooman
October 19th, 2007, 10:27 AM
In summary: Good but not real good. 4.25 on a five scale.
How about 33.15 on a 39 scale? 128.35 on a 151 scale? 5706.05 on a 6713 scale?

Seriously, I bought the Epiphone LP H/S case a couple of months ago for my new '56 Goldtop. That guitar came to me in a Tele/Strat rectangular case, and the angle of the LP's headstock caused it to rest on the back of the headstock and not be supported by the crosspiece in the case! Not good at all, so I ordered a proper Epi LP case (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Hardshell-Case?sku=517248) from MF. Nice case for the money. Quite solidly built, very well padded, and the latches seem to be of good quality. Fits my Goldtop like a glove, and the neck is properly supported now. BTW, I saw a couple of comments on MF about some of these cases having a strong and unpleasant smell, but mine is absolutely fine in that regard. Bottom line: nice case and well, well worth $60!

Spudman
October 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
The case I mentioned does fit like a glove too. I just don't think it is quite as high quality as the Epi. Still a good case for the money and it smells fine.:) People had mentioned the smell on these too.

BTW Voodoo - you is makin my hed spin wit all dat math stuff. Cut dat out.:nono:

hubberjub
November 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I bought the same case for my Les Paul Studio. For $40 it can't be beat. It's a big step up from the gig bag that my Gibson came with. If I were gigging with that guitar I probably would have sprung for a heavier duty case though.

Bucks Owin
January 22nd, 2008, 04:07 PM
That guitar came to me in a Tele/Strat rectangular case, and the angle of the LP's headstock caused it to rest on the back of the headstock .....

Still have the Tele case? I'd like to upgrade my Nashville's gig bag....

Dennis

duhvoodooman
January 22nd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Well, as it happens, I have a Nashville Tele (not the Power version) that came with a gig bag, same as yours. So I use this case for that guitar now, which fits it perfectly. Sorry, man!

F_BSurfer
January 22nd, 2008, 07:32 PM
Hey Spud does your agile fit in it?

Spudman
January 22nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'll check later and let you know. Be sure to check back tomorrow.

Spudman
January 29th, 2011, 11:32 PM
These are marked down to $39.99 right now. I've been pretty happy with mine.
Check this out (http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musician's-Gear-Deluxe-LP-Hardshell-Case?sku=540949&rec=product_A)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/2/5/0/278250.jpg