PDA

View Full Version : My Friday and B-day Mayer Fix

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2007, 10:21 AM
As usual on Friday, I am posting the music I am into for the day. Today, it is music I am setting as a goal to learn this year. Enjoy!

BFdq4b0NjWU Good Love

6KGw9JXsBmI Try

4c_cEXlv8ZQ I got a woman (I love this cover!)

_W_UJWrcGPc Gravity

I really like both the clean "Continuum" tone, and this slightly raunchier "Trio" tone. I hope to get my fingers and gear to be able to emulate both. For creating my own tone, I would like to use John's example as a base, and find my own from there.

:beer: :Dude:

Lev
October 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM
nice choices my friend. With your Strat and the Peavey you should be able to get pretty close to that tone. He almost always plays with the neck and middle pickup together and uses the volume control on the guitar to boost for the solos I think. Then again he does have a pedal board with about a million vintage pedals....:drool:

Spudman
October 19th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Great clips Sunny boy. That made my morning.

Toaster
October 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM
How does anybody that young get to be that good? Not just a good guitar player, but as a writer and a singer, where does a young pup like him get all that soul? I admire him a lot for being real.

sunvalleylaw
October 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
nice choices my friend. With your Strat and the Peavey you should be able to get pretty close to that tone. He almost always plays with the neck and middle pickup together and uses the volume control on the guitar to boost for the solos I think. Then again he does have a pedal board with about a million vintage pedals....:drool:

GRIN!! I was watching for your reply. I knew you would have something to say. Thanks for the tips on the tone. I have been focusing on the neck only position on my strat. I will mix it up some more. I also have to learn some licks, learn to work a volume swell/boost with my pinky, figure out some voicings, get better with my rhythm and right hand, (sounds like I need DVM to build me that Talent Boost Pedal!!). I sure like listening to him and getting inspired. Toaster, you are right. He is courageous enough to be real, which is totally cool. Glad you enjoyed it Spudder. :D :pancake

Justaguyin_nc
October 19th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I sure like listening to him and getting inspired.

He does have a great sound on these..
Great base to work off Sun... keep the dream and keep it real...
you will be there before you know it!
:beer:

YerDugliness
October 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I love that line "Stay da hell away from me!!!" in Gravity!

How many times have I wanted to say that, but didn't???? He did!!

I must admit I like his earlier stuff like this better than his recent stuff. I think he's gotten too full of himself, posturing, lately--I much prefer for him to act "real".

THANKS!!

Dugly :cool:

just strum
October 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM
I never listened to John Mayer and only recall seeing him in a comedy skit and that is the extent of my exposure to hearing John.

Good stuff, looks like I should pay closer attention to him. Thanks Steve.

warren0728
October 19th, 2007, 08:20 PM
i was not a mayer fan until i listened to John Mayer Trio...changed my mind...before i couldn't get past his "pop" stuff...

ww

Lev
October 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM
GRIN!! I was watching for your reply. I knew you would have something to say.

Oh Dear, I'm becoming predictable! :)

Spudman
October 20th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Then again he does have a pedal board with about a million vintage pedals....:drool:

Not quite. You might find this interesting.

here's his board.

http://www.t-rex-engineering.com/graphics/pictures/2598_4_full.jpg

http://www.t-rex-engineering.com/graphics/pictures/2598_full.jpg

T.Rex delay, boss tuner, ibansez ts808, boss blues driver, keeley katana, some type of wah and a green pedal. On a pedal train with a dunlop brick.

sunvalleylaw
October 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Oh Dear, I'm becoming predictable! :)

Nah, Lev, I just know we are both fans from previous posts. I did not listen to John really at all until Continuum, and then got way into his Trio stuff. I will go back and listen to some of the pop stuff a little more just because, but his stuff like the above is what is inspiring me. Thanks guys for taking a listen. :beer:

P.S. cool pedal board pics Sir Spudster! I noticed the oriental carpet in one of the vids. I was raised with a couple of those in the home and thought it an interesting stage embellishment.

just strum
October 21st, 2007, 05:52 AM
P.S. .... I noticed the oriental carpet in one of the vids. I was raised with a couple of those in the home and thought it an interesting stage embellishment.

I noticed that a lot of groups use the same. Since I don't perform on stage, my guess it's partially "the thing" to do and a pleasing aesthetic way to provide padding when you have to stand for 1 to 2 hours.

sunvalleylaw
October 21st, 2007, 10:14 AM
I noticed that a lot of groups use the same. Since I don't perform on stage, my guess it's partially "the thing" to do and a pleasing aesthetic way to provide padding when you have to stand for 1 to 2 hours.
I was thinking the same thing. Having worked in a commercial kitchen, I know how valuable padding underfoot is to the body.

Tone2TheBone
October 22nd, 2007, 09:29 AM
I must be the only person that liked Mayer for his pop stuff. In fact I never knew he played the guitar!