PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Feel for Value

just strum
October 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
I was surfing the ebay pages and came across this. Based on the wear and the upgrades, how would you rate this guitar?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120171283599&indexURL=11&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

I'm trying to get a feel for value and I may be asking you guys for some assistance from time to time.

This one caught my eye initially because I like the color.

Dauntless
October 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM
She don't look bad to me! :drool: I like the finish too!
Frets really don't bad either. Neck looks fine. :AOK:
A few dings don't mean nothin'.
It'd cost ya' at least that much for one of the new vintage modified Squiers.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Deluxe-Hot-Rails-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=519754

Looks like she got some charactor.
If you got the change, go for it! :D

Rabies
October 20th, 2007, 12:42 PM
IMO this is not a good deal. That's just my opinion. For ten dollars more (this one is 289.00 with shipping) you can get a brand spankin new Squier VM Strat that I hear a lot of good things about.

Don't get me wrong...that is a cool looking guitar with some attractive sounding upgrades, but IMO the price is just a little too high. Once again, that is just my opinion. :AOK:

I would say go for it if it was just a little cheaper. I would also say go for it if you just REALLY like it and have your heart set on it. So do what you think you need to do. I'm just offering my 0.02. :AOK:

Dreadman
October 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I'd let that one go Strummy. There are cracks at the neck joint and that means this guitar has fallen or something. Maybe the cracks aren't that bad but who knows what else got it.

just strum
October 20th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Thanks Dauntless and Rabies,

I like it, but you're right - I don't REALLY like it. Again, I'm just trying to get a feel for the value of different Squier Strats.

What is the difference between a Squier Bullet, Squier Statocaster, and Squier Affinity series? I have a Bullet and I know it's the low end of the low end, but I love the feel (very light).

If I'm shopping for a Squier, what should I be looking for and what should I avoid?

I know there are at least one or two of my W buddies that are cringing right now and probably feel I should stash the cash and save for a Fender - I'm just trying to learn while I window shop.

Edit: Dreadman, I knew you would chime in about that aspect and I trust your opinion 100%.

Spudman
October 20th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Strats.

What is the difference between a Squier Bullet, Squier Statocaster, and Squier Affinity series? I have a Bullet and I know it's the low end of the low end, but I love the feel (very light).

If I'm shopping for a Squier, what should I be looking for and what should I avoid?

Bullets and Squier II's are low end of the line. Both will usually have ply bodies. That doesn't necessarily mean they will sound bad, just that it will be hit or miss. You would really want to play one before buying it especially for that price. It's way too much for all the reasons Rabies and Dread list.

The Affinity series with see through finishes are solid alder. In spite of the bodies being thinner make for a pretty nice guitar. A few upgrades (pots, switches and sometimes pickups) will get you a sweet little guitar that won't leave bruises on your shoulder. Still hit or miss if buying on the bay. Some are better than others.

mrmudcat
October 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Dont do it!:spank: $100 more gets you in a great price range for a standard strat @$399.99 free shipping hell M.F. still have these. Ive got a special real strat I might let go for $300-400:munch:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Limited-Edition-Stratocaster-with-Direct-Mount-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=517592

If I bought a squier it would be the vintage modified model or the above mentioned deluxe hot rails...both under $300.the other one that peaked a lil interest was the m-80:Dude:

mrmudcat
October 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Having said that ,I wanted to add a little something about the plywood bodies.Most hear "plywood" as a body material and think it the same as building material plywood used for building.(IT IS NOT)It is like many many guitars made of tone woods maple ,alder wood glued together then the shape cnc cut out.Of course much cheaper than using a one piece slab. They can glue several pieces together then cut the body shape. Is it for me no!!! Im spoilt like that:rotflmao:

Disclaimer I myself prefer a solid body or atleast 2 piece (meaning a maple cap which most times is a 2 piece book match so is that 3 piece technically:whatever: ) This post is my opinion and is not meant to interfere with anyone elses :Dude:

Rabies
October 20th, 2007, 04:52 PM
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Limited-Edition-Stratocaster-with-Direct-Mount-Pickups-Electric-Guitar?sku=517592

I could have swore that guitar was 299.00 just a little while ago...:messedup:

mrmudcat
October 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I think it was,at one time:reallymad:

just strum
October 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM
M123 offers blems at $255.

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Limited-Edition-Stratocaster-with-Direct-Mount-Pickups-Electric-Guitar-517592-i1176738.Music123

Everything is a pipe dream right now. Fun to look at pictures, fun to go the GAS store, fun learning what to look for. Trying to put one kid through college and another waiting in the wings (priceless).

I enjoy reading the opinions and the facts that all of you guys post. Just like learning to play, there is satisfaction of having knowledge of different makes of guitars.

mrmudcat
October 20th, 2007, 05:49 PM
yep non blem $299:Dude: red sparkle which I like more than black which by the way is $399 still:deadhorse:

just strum
October 21st, 2007, 07:13 AM
Well since I lost interest in the baseball game in the early innings, I spent time surfing the web looking at all the different Squier and Fender Strats out there and the shopping can be very confusing to the novice buyer. I looked as if money was no object (I wish) and tried to get an understanding of what made a $2500 Strat better than a $400 or $500 Strat. Not knowing a thing about pups and pots and ..., I was lost. I know the same can be said for some other guitar models (LP), but damn can it be extremely confusing. If you throw in all the clones out there, well :messedup:

Rocket
October 21st, 2007, 08:57 AM
I looked as if money was no object (I wish) and tried to get an understanding of what made a $2500 Strat better than a $400 or $500 Strat. Not knowing a thing about pups and pots and ..., I was lost. I know the same can be said for some other guitar models (LP), but damn can it be extremely confusing. If you throw in all the clones out there, well
American-made anything is expectedly, (but not rightfully,) overpriced... once past that, one usually gets what one pays for.
Example: Gibson gets the grade-A electronics & hardware and anything that fails Quality Control is dumped into the crap bin and destined for Epiphones.
Same goes for bodies & necks. These days, (except for custom,) bodies & necks are mass cranked out overseas and shipped to US, (Gibson,) for finishing & assembly to fulfill the "Made In America" legal requirements.

(Ask Washburn what happened when they tried to buck that system!)
http://www.cbp.gov/custoday/nov2000/tye2.htm
Washburn violated numerous marking laws by selling instruments from which they had routinely stripped "Made in Korea" labels and replaced them with "Made In USA" labels.

Epi's are finished & assembled en masse in the new Epiphone (Qingdao Gibson) factory that opened in 10/2002.
Except for headstock, Gibson & Epiphone bodies & necks are identical but I'd assume Epi gets any QC fails, flaws, & flubs.
(Many assume that Epi's are still being built at the Samick junk factory... not true.)

just strum
October 21st, 2007, 09:07 AM
Rocket,

Based on what you are saying, would that mean that Epi and Squire are junk or not worthy of ones money? If you put an essentially same model of Epi and Gibson side-by-side, is it almost a definite that the Gibson is better?

Never owned a Gibson 1) they are usually priced out of my reach and 2) I'm not paying extra money for the name.

Certainly not slamming them, but I believe you need a good guitar to enjoy the early learning process, but you should also consider the amount spent based on your level of playing - at some point the return on the dollar diminishes - so is that level of Gibson quality worth the extra cost over the Epi quality - of course the same applies to Squier and Fender.

Adrian30
October 21st, 2007, 09:59 AM
Never owned a Gibson 1) they are usually priced out of my reach and 2) I'm not paying extra money for the name.

1. me neither
2. me neither
3.http://gc.guitarcenter.com/financing...?source=4NL7KJ :messedup:

wingsdad
October 21st, 2007, 10:00 AM
A well-made guitar is a well-made guitar no matter where it's made.

Even Gibson's and Fender's USA factories turn out Friday Freaks.

Advertising & marketing budgets are a big factor in price. It costs a buch to build brand equity. I get a kick out of Fender & Gibson 'aging' guitars to look like EC's, Stevie Ray's or Page's and charging megabucks for them, and people actually buying them is sad.

Rocket
October 21st, 2007, 10:21 AM
Rocket,

Based on what you are saying, would that mean that Epi and Squire are junk or not worthy of ones money?
Really?... because you may have misunderstood. I don't know squat about Squier (cept how to spell it correctly).
I think Epiphones are great, and especially after they stopped making them at Samick. Once they opened that new factory, Epi quality has skyrocketed. I have both Epi's & Gibsons... my hands down player right now is my Epi LP Ultra.
But all-in-all, top-dog gets the grade-A stuff and lower-end gets the rest. It's the way the world spins.
Like Wings said, "A well-made guitar is a well-made guitar no matter where it's made."

Rocket
October 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM
http://gc.guitarcenter.com/financing...?source=4NL7KJ
Y'all know that Musician's Friend and it's sister companies are all the online faces of Guitar Centers (The Wal-Mart of music), Inc. right?
(Musician's Friend sister companies include GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Harmony Central and more recently Woodwind & Brasswind (WWBW)/Music 123.)

just strum
October 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM
...I don't know squat about Squier (cept how to spell it correctly).

SA

wingsdad
October 21st, 2007, 10:49 AM
...I think Epiphones are great, and especially after they stopped making them at Samick. Once they opened that new factory, Epi quality has skyrocketed. ...
It was set up & is managed by Gibson USA people, so it's virtually a Gibson factory. I just picked up an '04 LP Standard made there. Nice. But I will upgrade the pots & switch straightaway. Then I'll consider the pickups after I see how the marriage with my amp(s) plays out with the more accurate components.

Like you said, Rocket, the electronic components can be crap. Didn't you get Gibson stuff under the hood of your Epi LP Ultra?

I have an '01 Samick-Korea Epi Sheraton II, and it's exceptionally built, flawless fit & finish. But it's got Gibson Classic 57's the previous owner put in, unbeknownst to the store I bought it from. I only found that out when I added DiMarzio 500K audio taper pots and a Switchcraft toggle for a total of $30 in upgrades. It could be just me, but I think it rivals any Gibson 335 or 345 now.

Rocket
October 21st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Like you said, Rocket, the electronic components can be crap. Didn't you get Gibson stuff under the hood of your Epi LP Ultra?

Yes... I special ordered it with some custom components.