PDA

View Full Version : Does your Wife/Partner understand your guitar obsession?

Lev
October 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM
I think my wife is somewhere between 2 and 3 :spank:

Jimi75
October 22nd, 2007, 05:06 AM
In the beginning which is approx. 13 years ago, my wife came to every concert and listened to my daily GUITAR-BLABLA.

Nowadays, she is pretty relaxed with what I do. She doesn't visit gigs but gives me all the time I need to make music.

I think I have talked too much, before results came, so somewhere on the way she lost interest.

She never stopped me from buying guitars and will never do so.

R_of_G
October 22nd, 2007, 06:06 AM
My wife is incredibly supportive and encouraging. Early on in my playing she was my way of gauging how I was doing. If she could recognize what song I was playing without my giving her any indication then I was obviously playing it fairly close to correctly. She doesn't necessarily understand my desire to keep purchasing more guitars, but she doesn't stop me either. She has also bought me several songbooks for bday and holiday gifts to encourage me to keep learning new things, so she has been a great guitar player's wife.

Jampy
October 22nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
My Girlfriend of 9 years now, tends to leave me alone when I feel the urge to play and write. She understands my need to do so, and respects that.

Brian Krashpad
October 22nd, 2007, 07:10 AM
In the beginning which is approx. 13 years ago, my wife came to every concert and listened to my daily GUITAR-BLABLA.

Nowadays, she is pretty relaxed with what I do. She doesn't visit gigs but gives me all the time I need to make music.

This is pretty much where Mrs. Krashpad is too.

Once every few years I may be able to drag her out to an especially important gig, but she's pretty burned out on the live music scene.

She doesn't try to keep tabs on my guitar/gear buying, nor do I make a special point of keeping her apprised of what is bought/sold. Currently I'm selling off a few pieces I haven't been using, so she does know about that.

duhvoodooman
October 22nd, 2007, 07:35 AM
I think my wife is somewhere between 2 and 3 :spank:
That's where mine is, too....

sunvalleylaw
October 22nd, 2007, 09:05 AM
Mine is between 1 and 2 and I voted 2. She does not listen to my playing much at this point, but if I play out, she has come and listened if it works with what the kids are doing. She bought me my acoustic several years ago, and encouraged me to get started with lessons with my son. She is encouraging, but does not understand how I get obsessed with any of my pursuits. She lets me pursue it though. She continues to tell me it is a good thing I took it up. So I count that as supportive.

luvmyshiner
October 22nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
I guess I'm pretty lucky in this regard. About six months after I started playing I noticed my child bride kept finding excuses to hold one of the guitars and strum it. When she finally broke down, cut her fingernails and started learning how to play, I bought her one of her own. Now she has four and gasses just as much as I do!

Tone2TheBone
October 22nd, 2007, 09:32 AM
My wife is between 1 and 2. Very much supportive but she does her own thing. Edited: Sorry had to reread the damn post and answer correctly.

Rocket
October 22nd, 2007, 09:34 AM
My wife has played professionally for 30+ years and owns more acoustic guitars than I do. She won't touch electric tho. We routinely GAS simultaneously and sometimes covet each other's possessions. We often just assume that our holiday gifts will be in the recognizable form of a scalene triangle.

duhvoodooman
October 22nd, 2007, 09:42 AM
We often just assume that our holiday gifts will be in the recognizable form of a scalene triangle.
Congratulations, Rocket! First ever mention of the term "scalene triangle" here at TheFret. You are hereby declared winner of the 2007 Fret.Net Obscure Geometric Reference Award. :beer: :Dude:

Rocket
October 22nd, 2007, 09:51 AM
Congratulations, Rocket! First ever mention of the term "scalene triangle" here at TheFret. You are hereby declared winner of the 2007 Fret.Net Obscure Geometric Reference Award. :beer: :Dude:
Heh-heh... better get a lot more of them awards ready then. Ask anyone who frequents the WAG Forum! (Wait till I break out my Latin ciphers & instructional videos.)

just strum
October 22nd, 2007, 10:52 AM

Over at the "W" I never knew what the hell he was talking about, but knew him well enough to know he doesn't talk out of his...

Anyway, as for the wife. Well, she's supportive to the degree that she let's me play/practice without any complaints and she will comment when she hears what she perceives as improvement or advancement. I tend to be a perfectionist (don't agree, but I've been told that by too many people to continue to argue), so my playing is never good enough and I always feel I should be years ahead of where I'm at. My wife brings me back to earth and makes me recognize it will take time.

Don't know where I would rate her, but I've decided to keep her around. Actually it's probably vise-versa.

LagrangeCalvert
October 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM
My girlfriend of 8 years plays as well...and GAS attacks hit her...but nowhere near like they do me........so we encourage each other and all that good snaz!

t_ross33
October 22nd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Mrs. T is always very supportive, and as long as my little hobby makes me some spending money, she doesn't mind if I blow it on gear (though sometimes she does roll her eyes at me :rolleyes: ).

This old guitar gave me my lovely lady
It opened up her eyes and ears to me
It brought us close together
I guess it broke her heart
It opened up the space for us to be
What a lovely place and a lovely space to be

:AOK:

luvmyshiner
October 22nd, 2007, 06:22 PM
Ya' gotta love John Denver T-ross. Great song.

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Yes, but I'd give give him the the Obscure Yet Incorrect Geometric Reference Award.

In a scalene triangle all sides have different lengths, you can find such axes, but *my* gitfiddles are not the least bit scalene ;).

Scalene my dear though I spend my days in anticipation
Please
Remember me Scalene my love
Don't forget me Scalene my dear

-------------------------------------

I just realized that I have seen scalene packing boxes for shipping new guitars ;).

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2007, 06:30 PM
My girlfriend of 8 years plays as well...and GAS attacks hit her...but nowhere near like they do me........so we encourage each other and all that good snaz!
A playing wife & good snaz t'boot!

Can't beat that!

Rocket
October 22nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
In a scalene triangle all sides have different lengths, you can find such axes, but *my* gitfiddles are not the least bit scalene.
I think most would get that I was referring to the cardboard box a new guitar comes in. Looks similar to this:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/br/brucewei623/.mids/BoxGuitarElectric.jpg

tot_Ou_tard
October 22nd, 2007, 06:39 PM
I think most would get that I was referring to the cardboard box a new guitar comes in. Looks similar to this:
http://imagehost.vendio.com/preview/br/brucewei623/.mids/BoxGuitarElectric.jpg
Yup, I beat you to it with a retraction, but it ain't *my* fault 'cause I've never purchased a new guitar ;).

just strum
October 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Are we bordering on a isosceles trapezoid?

pes_laul
October 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
My wife is between 1 and 2. Very much supportive but she does her own thing. Edited: Sorry had to reread the damn post and answer correctly.
Tone you beat me too the charlie brown avatar:reallymad: :D (sorry for this useless post)

warren0728
October 25th, 2007, 05:23 PM
since i just got divorced i guess i'm not one to ask!! :messedup:

but she wasn't too bad with it...i i got to keep them all during the settlement!! :AOK:

ww

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
since i just got divorced i guess i'm not one to ask!! :messedup:

but she wasn't too bad with it...i i got to keep them all during the settlement!! :AOK:

ww

Warren - Good on you bro for getting to keep your geetars.

And thanks PL that's the 2nd compliment I've gotten on good ole Charlie. :Dude:

LagrangeCalvert
October 25th, 2007, 10:55 PM
A playing wife & good snaz t'boot!

Can't beat that!

Did I mention she fishes with me ( baits her own hook and releases her own catch) camps...and can work on her own cars!...Did I mention she did our album cover as well and makes Jewelry too....shes my best friend and lover, you cant beat it...She doesn't want kids and doesn't pressure me about when were getting married...like she says "I don't need a piece of paper to tell me I love you"..... shes the best.....

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Warren - Good on you bro for getting to keep your geetars.

And thanks PL that's the 2nd compliment I've gotten on good ole Charlie. :Dude:

Yeah Warren, good on ya.

Tone, as you might imagine from our compared notes, Peanuts specials were super important to me. Your avatar has had me smiling since it showed up dude!

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Yeah Warren, good on ya.

Tone, as you might imagine from our compared notes, Peanuts specials were super important to me. Your avatar has had me smiling since it showed up dude!

Charlie is classic old school brother. I couldn't imagine life without Peanuts! :beer:

LagrangeCalvert
October 25th, 2007, 11:19 PM
So how many people have actually lost a spouse from the playing of guitars?...

Is this too touchy of a subject?....

tremoloman
October 26th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Well, it's not my wife... but my girlfriend loves it and is very supportive. Until her, none of my ex's ever cared for it.

sunvalleylaw
October 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Charlie is classic old school brother. I couldn't imagine life without Peanuts! :beer:
Couldn't help myself man, had to join the party!

Tone2TheBone
October 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Couldn't help myself man, had to join the party!

LMAO. Snoopy's great. :rotflmao:

Big_Rob
October 26th, 2007, 10:16 AM
My wife is supportive of my playing but she doesnt want me to buy any more guitars until we get a place of our own. I can understand her POV, but I told her that if I come across a deal I cant pass up Im going to buy it.

LagrangeCalvert
October 26th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Well, it's not my wife... but my girlfriend loves it and is very supportive. Until her, none of my ex's ever cared for it.

Long time no talk scott! Hows that neck/body combo treating you!!! Sorry I fell off the band wagon there for a little bit, but man my life got hectic really quick. I STILL need to get you that amp and those vintage saddles, don't think I forgot!

Im glad you have a girl that helps out!