PDA

View Full Version : Two More Fretters Meet For A Day of Pickin’ and Frettin’

Tim
March 4th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Friday March 3, 2006 – Florida, USA

The alarm went off at 5:15 AM. This should be a very interesting day I thought as I arose from the bed with a smile. I went to the kitchen to prepare a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. At 6:15 I went to kiss my wife goodbye and wished her a pleasant day at work. She looked at me and said the she could not believe I woke up this early on my day off to travel 97 miles just to play guitar. I gave her my typical answer when she asks questions to the strange things I do. “Dear, a mans gota do what a mans gota do”. She smiled and said good bye.

I had already pack the van with my AD30VT, my Squire Custom Tele-caster, a copy of Blues You Can Use, a couple of jam CDs and music to keep me entertained as I travel for the next 90 plus minutes to Orlando Florida to meet with Warren from the “Fret Net”.

It was a beautiful day for traveling. The sun was just rising from its slumber and the skies were clear with a pleasant temperature. The traffic was light and there were no construction crews on the job. I cruised down I-95 to the tunes of Alan Parson’s Project and Electric Light Orchestra. About 15 minutes from Warren home I stopped for coffee and called Warren to let him know I was moments away from his home. After locating his home (thanks for the easy directions Warren) I walked up and knocked on his door. Warren opened the door and greeted me and invited me in. We were both dressed in the typical Floridian dress, shorts and sandals (sorry guys I did say the temperature was pleasant) and tee shirts.

After a brief tour of his guitars and amplifiers, Warren asked if I brought my gear? I stated it was out in the car and proceeded to bring in my equipment. When Warren saw my Vox amp he ask if I had trouble with my input jack. I stated not my 30-watt, but it did fall in on the 15-watt version I had earlier. We stopped what we where doing and did some minor repair work to reassemble the input jack. It was now time to play.

We both discussed our great playing skills (LOL) and joking played a few unrehearsed blues tunes. We both laughed when we discovered we were probably at the same skill level … beginner. Warren began to receive some phone calls from clients that needed immediate attention. He apologized for the inconvenience several times. I told Warren that putting food on the table was more important and not to worry about. Warren put on a Stevie Ray Vaughn DVD for me to watch as he finished satisfying the client’s need for the day. I have a few Stevie’s CDs, but never seen him play. Wow was I amazed how this guy played. I sat there in total bliss watching this guy play. Just as the DVD was finishing, so did Warren with his work.

Warren drove us to the Music Shack, which is a guitar store within 10 minutes of his home. I envy guys like this. Upon entering I was introduced to Ron the storeowner. Ron is a fantastic person. He must of spent at least 45 minutes talking with us on various equipment for home recording. As I looked over the different manufacturer’s products, Ron would explain what each was capable of doing. Ron’s interest is giving the buyer what he needs to be a satisfied customer. He is not out to sell you the most expensive box off the shelf. I learned more on home recording in those 45 minutes then all the reading I have done so far. As we where about to leave Ron’s store I told Ron that I normally travel 60 miles north to the nearest GC store. Because of what I have experienced, I will travel the extra 30 miles south to come to his store for a day of shopping for my next GAS. I know that I will not be just buying a product, but will most likely be given an explanation and a demonstration on how to use the equipment.

From the Music Shack Warren took us to a local restaurant for lunch. As we walked in the door I read the luncheon specials. My eye caught the Maui Maui sandwich. As we ate our lunch, Warren and I shared a little about each other, our families and also had a few laughs.

After lunch we headed back to Warren’s home to be there in time for his kids to arrive home from school. Warren has one son and one daughter who came across as good kids. The son, it seems, has a hunger to play guitar. Warren’s daughter played the ukulele for a short time period. I did not meet Warren’s wife but understand she plays the keyboard and saxophone. One can imagine this family being a super musical performing family sometime in the near future.

Over all I had a wonderful time meeting Warren and being a part of his family for the short time I was there. I appreciate the open hospitably extended towards me and hope I can return the favor sometime in the future. Warren and I discussed the possibility of him coming north to St. Augustine before school lets out for the summer. We discussed the possibility of my wife and I coming down on a Friday night and visiting one of Warren’s clients who provides an open-air blues concert during the summer. This has been added as a priority on my calendar of events.

Warren – thank you for being a friend and opening your home to me. I really enjoyed my visit with you and also visiting the Music Shack and meeting Ron. He is a great guy. Please extend my greetings and wishing him well in his business. I will be visiting him sometime down the line.

SuperSwede
March 4th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Your writing skills are excellent Tim :)

warren0728
March 4th, 2006, 03:53 PM
tim,
what a great writeup. Very well written!

It's funny...my wife thought i was crazy to invite someone i didn't know over to play as well but i sure am glad i did. We will definately get together again and i look forward to catching some outdoor blues at Harry's (http://cigarandbrew.com) sometime.

ww

Justaguyin_nc
March 6th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Nice story Tim... Enjoyed and visioned the meeting... don't you wish all of life's ventures turned out this way... enjoy that blues concert this summer.. looks like your both in good company...