PDA

View Full Version : Would you recommend a Graph Tech nut?

Big_Rob
October 22nd, 2007, 09:19 PM
I need to have my Strats frets dressed, possibly re-fretted :(

The guy who will be doing the work is Yngwies tech :D

http://www.lashbrookguitars.com

Hes the only game in town when it comes to anything to do with frets :eek:

Anyhow, on his website, he says that he will also replace the nut with a graph tech nut (I can only ***/u/me that it will be a tusq nut???) for 50 bucks although I hoping he'll do a package deal since the fret job is 150 bucks.

Now on to my question, Did a Graph Tech nut make a noticeable difference with regards to sound and sustain on your guitar and would you recommend it?

t_ross33
October 22nd, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'd recommend Graph Tech. I thought it was an improvement over the cheap plastic nut on my Peavey EXP, and it was a pretty cheap upgrade. Graph Tech is not Tusq. Tusq is a man-made ivory/bone material. Graph Tech is some kind of "graphite" composite material.

Trev

Spudman
October 22nd, 2007, 09:58 PM
If you can get a re-fret and a new nut for 2 bills or less consider yourself lucky. Especially if the guy is still working for Yngwie. Most techs I've approached want 250 or so to do a re-fret. The difference in sound with that nut will be minor. Once it is done you'll forget if the old nut sounded different or not.

just strum
October 23rd, 2007, 05:36 AM
I won't get into a debate on sound since their are two clearly defined camps on that, however it would be beneficial as it relates to wear. Between tuning and string replacement, the plastic nut takes a beating versus a graphite, tusq and some bone. As long as you are getting some major work done, I would work a deal to include the nut.

I do have a question regarding your post - what or who is Yngwies?

abraxas
October 23rd, 2007, 06:38 AM
Actually, Tusq is a GraphTec product also... the black colored material thingy is called "trem-nut" and is better for tremolo equiped instruments. I've used them both, very pleased. :AOK:

Spudman
October 23rd, 2007, 07:19 AM

Rock star that lives in Florida. One of the all time top selling rock acts in Japan. Originally from Sweden. Amazing.

Wiki is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yngwie_Malmsteen

Big_Rob
October 23rd, 2007, 07:37 AM

This is Yngwie

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4548

Big_Rob
October 23rd, 2007, 07:41 AM
Rock star that lives in Florida. One of the all time top selling rock acts in Japan. Originally from Sweden. Amazing.

Wiki is your friend.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yngwie_Malmsteen

He lives about 15 miles away from me in Aventura

Ive heard stories about him.... Stories about him and a certain drug in a white powder form going up his nose.

But that was a couple of years back.

Bloozcat
October 23rd, 2007, 11:01 AM
Bone is still my favorite. Un-bleached vintage bone to be exact. It's still the choice of a lot of luthiers out there as well...

http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/ts0042_bonenut.hzml?jrl=315403&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ts0042&clk=151926

mrmudcat
October 23rd, 2007, 11:03 AM
My best sounding strat has a graphtech nut. I also changed the saddles to graphtech and also the string trees. I have not broken one string and their is a sound improvement over plastic from my personal opinion.:beer:

I do agree with above post bone is the best,but for trem use I still prefer graphtech.:Dude:

Big_Rob
October 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM
I called him up and he said he used "the black one" Sooooo,, Im going to assume its the trem nut cause according to graph techs website, thats the one thats black.

LagrangeCalvert
October 25th, 2007, 11:11 PM
If you want to never break a string go with either graph tech nuts and saddles or LSR roller nuts....I use roller nuts on all my guitars...they brighten up your sound and you can't pinch a string at the nut....I always use graph tech saddles (not that my endorsement means a lot) and since I started doing this to my guitars I haven't broke a string in 7 years...no lie!

With the saddles AND the nut it makes your harmonics and mids really liven up...it can also help with sustain and overall give you a really really slinky feel and makes string bends smoother and easier....just my two cents.

tremoloman
October 26th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Graph tech saddles and LSR nuts are the way to go IMHO. Got 'em on just abot every guitar I own. :)

Tone2TheBone
October 26th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Graph tech saddles and LSR nuts are the way to go IMHO. Got 'em on just abot every guitar I own. :)

Where've you been!

PS - Go Sox!

LagrangeCalvert
October 26th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Your tele neck has a badass LSR...BTW how is that working out?:Dude: :AOK: :drool:

rockinhacker
February 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM
I need to have my Strats frets dressed, possibly re-fretted :(

The guy who will be doing the work is Yngwies tech :D

http://www.lashbrookguitars.com

Hes the only game in town when it comes to anything to do with frets :eek:

Anyhow, on his website, he says that he will also replace the nut with a graph tech nut (I can only ***/u/me that it will be a tusq nut???) for 50 bucks although I hoping he'll do a package deal since the fret job is 150 bucks.

Now on to my question, Did a Graph Tech nut make a noticeable difference with regards to sound and sustain on your guitar and would you recommend it?

Not to quibble, but Mr. Lashbrook is NOT the only game in town in regards to fretwork. I have been a luthier since 1988 and have done hundreds of fretjobs during that time. Aside from building Brian May copies, and my own unique designs, I specialize in complete restoration work; be it 100 year old parlor acoustics, busted headstocks, to vintage strats, etc. I have yet to receive a dissatisfied refret customer. If you are in the South Florida area, give me a call to schedule an appointment to come by my shop and play one of my custom crafted instruments and experience my fretwork yourself. By the way, all my refrets include my 4 point setup which includes adjusting the truss rod, action, bridge radius, and intervallic intonation adjustment system(similar to the Buzz Feiten tuning system, without the huge Buzz Feiten price tag. Check out my Myspace link to see plenty of pics of my work, as well as read the full story about D Guitars Miami. You'll also be able to read plenty of customer comments about my work there as well. Thanks. :AOK:

Doron Markowitz
D Guitars Miami
305-896-1811
www.myspace.com/dguitarsmiami

kiteman
February 23rd, 2009, 07:56 PM
I have graphtech nuts and saddles on two of my guitars. To me they sound mellow, none of that metalic sound.