PDA

View Full Version : Tele-Mania . . . a definitive list

Nelskie
March 4th, 2006, 01:55 PM
I was on Amazon.com the other day looking for a CD, and lo and behold, I came across this list. After looking it over, I thought it might be something to share with my fellow Fretters. The list is very complete, and basically covers the "who's who" of noteworthy Telecaster players, as well as a few you may not have heard of. Check it out at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/2AX2Q838IGS8H/102-3327238-7136917?%5Fencoding=UTF8

If you're a Tele player, or just like the classic Tele sound, here's a great reference to some of the best stuff there is! And if you do decide to pick up one of these CD's, share a few thoughts about it here at HYH.

warren0728
March 4th, 2006, 03:45 PM
great list....gonna start getting those cds now....too bad they don'y have a "buy them all" button! :D

ww

Justaguyin_nc
March 5th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Move over warren... I need to get my hand in this BIN to...:) Thanks for the listing Nelskie, looks like an interesting walk dwon the Telecaster Isle...

duhvoodooman
March 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM
I was on Amazon.com the other day looking for a CD, and lo and behold, I came across this list. After looking it over, I thought it might be something to share with my fellow Fretters. The list is very complete, and basically covers the "who's who" of noteworthy Telecaster players, as well as a few you may not have heard of. Check it out at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/listmania/fullview/2AX2Q838IGS8H/102-3327238-7136917?%5Fencoding=UTF8

A pox upon you, Nelskie!! I went over to that Amazon link and the next thing I knew, I'd bought 4 CD's! And the "Blues You Can Use" book/CD. So I've got stuff coming from Danny Gatton, Johnny Hiland, Johnny A. and Tommy Castro. Yeah, I know they weren't all on the Tele list, but once you get browsing....well, you know how it is.

Seriously, thanks for the great link!

BTW, after reading the posted first line of the "Blues You Can Use" book, I knew I'm in serious trouble! I quote:

"Scales are the basic building blocks in music."

And it goes on from there about the importance of a knowledge & command of scales for all musicians, including guitarists. Being completely self-taught and never having taken a lesson in my life, I can see I have some serious catching up to do! Geez, I thought "pentatonic" was the name of the first five books of the Bible, written by Moses. No, wait--that's the Pentateuch.... ;)

SuperSwede
March 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Fancy a glass of Penta Tonic ?

Nelskie
March 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Voodoo / Swede: Laffs and smiles abound - thanx! Absoulutely, Amazon is a tough place to go to w/o buying something before you leave. My rather substantial CD collection is testament to that. I look forward to you reviews on those CD's, Voodoo. Maybe you can "return the favor", and entice me to buy one (or all) of the CD's you purchased . . . ?

In the mean time, I think I'll mix me a gin and "pentatonic". Anyone around here got a lime?!!

Matt
March 5th, 2006, 01:42 PM
"Scales are the basic building blocks in music."

And it goes on from there about the importance of a knowledge & command of scales for all musicians, including guitarists. Being completely self-taught and never having taken a lesson in my life, I can see I have some serious catching up to do!

Your not the only one! But then again I have only been playing for a year and a bit, but its besides the point- live by my motto: play what sounds good :p

I was disappointed that the lead guitarist from bloc party wasnt on that list. Hes pretty fantasmical live

regards

Matt

SuperSwede
March 5th, 2006, 01:44 PM
I got a plastic lemon, does that count? I think I will have a little G & PT myself!

Spudman
March 5th, 2006, 07:19 PM
If you want Danny Gatton's "88 Elmira St." let me know and I'll send it out MP3 style to you over the web. I haven't tried that yet but it should work, right?

They left 3 of the most successful Tele players off the list: Bruce Springsteen, Prince and Jimi Page. Oh, Richie Kotzen is a Tele player too.

Speaking of Prince, I got his Live At The Aladin DVD and last night I got really funked up. Shake that thing.

r_a_smith3530
March 5th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Speaking of Prince, I got his Live At The Aladin DVD and last night I got really funked up. Shake that thing.

Spudman, I've had that CD (EDIT: Oops, DVD! I also have the Rainbow Children CD) for over a month now. First, Prince is a genius as a bandleader. You talk about a tight act, wow. Did you catch those cuts and changeups? Second, Prince may be one of the most underrated guitar slingers of all time. Third, Rhonda Smith is HOT! Both as a bass player and as a woman.

Nelskie, thanks for the list. It's missing some members. Rolling Stone Keith Richards and bluesman Steady Rollin' Bob Margolin (Alligator recording artist) immediately come to mind, but the one player who most certainly should be included on anyone's list of Masters of the Telecaster is, of course, McKinley Morganfield. As for Albert Collins, his 1993 live release is one of my favorites, although Ice Pickin', his first release for Alligator is no slouch either. His technique was phenominal, and he is the reason that I today own my Peavey Reactor, modified as it is. His bass player, Aron Burton, is one of the reasons that I just completed a deal for a Leo Fender era G&L L-2000 electric bass. See more details on that in the bass forum.

Nelskie
March 6th, 2006, 07:39 AM
r_a_: I, too, noted Keef's absence right away, and he's easily my favorite Tele player of all time! BTW - the list I posted is most certainly not the end-all of Telecaster lists, but it is a pretty good one (maybe definitive wasn't the right choice of words?) The fact that it was "Tele-specific" was what I thought was cool, and undoubtedly, the person who put that list together had some good working knowledge about the Telecaster.

As I'd hoped, you, and the other Fretters that have posted on this thread have added a few more pieces to the Tele puzzle. By all means, if you think of any others, feel free to post info, links, or whatever.

If you're interested in hearing some cool Keith Richards stuff, you may want to check out these (2) CD's: "Talk Is Cheap" (1988) and "Live at the Hollywood Palladium w/ the Expensive Winos (the live tour in support of Talk Is Cheap). I have both, and they're fantastic listens, loaded with killer Tele tones and outstanding vocal work. Here are the Amazon.com links:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000WGL/qid=1141652442/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-3327238-7136917?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000WID/qid=1141652442/sr=2-3/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_3/102-3327238-7136917?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

Of course, you can always hear Keith's fabulous work by picking up any Rolling Stones CD. I would, of course, suggest that you check out the band's newest release "Rarities", which has already been reviewed here at HYH.

r_a_smith3530
March 6th, 2006, 09:47 AM
BTW, the McKinley Morganfield I mentioned in my previous post as being a VERY obvious missing member of the list, is more commonly known by another name.

They call him "Muddy Waters!" He was truly a Master of the Telecaster!!! He gets five. Well, the system limits me to four, but you get the idea.

:R :R :R :R

r_a_smith3530
March 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I figured since I own the CD, I should comment about it. I am speaking of Albert Collins' "Ice Pickin" here. If you are into the blues at all, this is a MUST OWN disc! Albert Collins definitely has earned the title "Master of the Telecaster," and this disc is a good example of why.

Collins' style was fairly wild (in the blues framework), so it is a surprise to have the almost ballad like tune, "When The Welfare Turns Its Back On You" on this CD. It is a beautiful tune, and it just points to how Albert could do so much. "Honey Hush! (Talking Woman Blues)" is much more in the normal Ablert Collins style, as is "Master Charge." These two are classic electric blues numbers. You will just love the guitar work on the extended "Conversation With Collins." Here, Albert really shows off his skills and his biting attack.

Collins, like the other Albert, had a more biting style than other bluesmen like BB King and Howlin' Wolf's guitar player, Hubert Sumlin.

I am lucky to have seen him in person, and to know both his former bass player (Aron Burton) and his former Road Manager, who designed the sound system at Legends and runs sound for Buddy Guy. From what they've both told me, Albert was a character, but one that you wanted to know.

SuperSwede
March 6th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Albert Collins was a fantastic blues artist. My favorite song with the iceman is "ThereĀ“s gotta be a change".

dougb415
March 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
New guy here.... Tele owner (as well as Strat, LP, Melody Maker, etc)

If you haven't done so yet, check out Brad Paisley's last two CDs for some killer Tele pickin'. Also, Jerry Donahue's "Telecasting" is good stuff.

... and make sure to check out Jim Weider's "Project Percolator" - WOW!

Spudman
March 17th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Doug
Welcome to the fret and thanks for the tips. I'd really like a Paisley DVD. I saw him on Austin City Limits right before he broke and I was like "Holy S***. That boy can play. And he's cute too. Ya, I'm kinda jealous.

duhvoodooman
March 17th, 2006, 07:37 PM
...And he's cute too. Ya, I'm kinda jealous.
Jealous, huh? Sounds more like you're kinda smitten!! ;)

Spudman
March 17th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Well...he does kick a**.

dougb415
March 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Yes he does. My wife and I have tix for his show on the 31st, looking forward to seeing some of those Crook Teles. :)

Spudman
March 17th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Doug
Hey. My brother lives in Huntsville. I was born in Rucker. As the great bassist for the Mission Mountain Wood Band once said to me "nice meetin another bama boy."