PDA

View Full Version : Ship a Hot Rod

M29
October 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Hello,

I am thinking about selling my Fender Hot Rod dx and am afraid to ship it. I was wondering what you guys use to ship combo amps? Where do you get a box that size and heavy enough? Should I limit my sales to local?

Thank you for your time and help.

M29

Spudman
October 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Wrap the whole thing in thick cardboard and tape it well. Then find a larger box and some Styrofoam corners or heavy cardboard corners to protect the amp corners (all 8). You could put the corner protection on the amp fist then wrap the first cardboard layer around the amp. You might get away with thick Styrofoam rails upper and lower and down the sides instead. Fill the back of the amp with plenty of crumpled news paper. Bind the AC cord with a rubber band or twist ties.

Computer store dumpsters are a good place to find shipping material.

Just make sure the outer box is large enough to have plenty of padding between outer and inner boxes. Insure heavily.

Dreadman
October 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hello,

I am thinking about selling my Fender Hot Rod dx
M29Just for kicks, how much are you thinking about asking for it?

M29
October 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
Thanks Spudman, I see now. I wondered how to get a heavy enough box, you kind of make it up with cardboard and what not inside another box.

I really wanted to avoid shipping the thing, so much can happen to it. I might try (local pickup only) and see what happens. I am in no hurry, I am not even sure I want to sell it. It works great but I really want to get an amp kit, possibly a CeriaTone Marshall clone.

Hello Dreadman, I paid 365.00 for it about 6 months ago and have not used it much and would be happy to get what I paid for it. It has not been modded at all from what I can tell, I have the cover that goes with it. It is made in U.S.A. and I think it was in 1998 but I would have to check.

M29

Dreadman
October 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
I just realized the "dx" in your post. I was thinking DeVille.

If you end up putting it on ebay post a link here anyway. I'd still consider it.

mrmudcat
October 24th, 2007, 01:07 AM
That is a good price but im sure you expect a slight depreciation than what you paid . What speaker is in yours brother?? Mine has a celestion vintage 30,but is the limited emerald one. Dread the new texas hot(red tolex)HRD is just out again 800 units and also the white lightning (white tolex) HRD800 units .street price is $699 though! These are all made in the mexico plant :messedup: So yea if you ship M-29 also remove all tubes before shipping.Bubble wrap and send these seperate usps.:Dude:

M29
October 24th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Hello mrmudcat,

Thank you for the tips. I was going to (pack) the tubes separate but in the same box but did not think to (send) them separate. That makes good sense:AOK:

M29

M29
October 25th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Hello mrmudcat,

I just realized that I did not answer your questions.

I suppose I could knock off some bucks.

Mine is completely stock, speaker and all. I have tried it through a Weber California and a pair of Tonkers and the original actually sounds pretty good.

I really like the size and compactness of the Hot Rod and it has a pretty nice Fender clean sound. I don't care for the controls being on top, I never liked that on an amp. I don't know I may keep it and get an 18 watt kit instead of replacing it with a 45 watt kit.

Thanks for the tips.

M29

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I think that's a reasonably good price for that amp.

mrmudcat
October 25th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Yes looking at the offerings on ebay lately the price is very reasonable.:AOK: A celestion alnico gold and some j.j. tubes and that amp would smoke. I have j.j. tubes in all my amps . I did get the version HRD I did for the speaker combo.(vin.30):Dude: Haven't tried the speakers you mentioned but I imagine the california is off the top-shelf.:drool: