PDA

View Full Version : On the Nickel

just strum
October 23rd, 2007, 04:47 PM
Jimi's post "Crying at the Opera" made me think of one of the few songs that just grabs me. It's a Tom Waits song and while searching for a video of Tom performing the song, I came across this guy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FJu3RyB12DY

Since I've only seen Tom play it on piano, I thought this guy did a nice job on guitar. Nothing fancy, just the right touch for the song. After you listen to it, click on doghousedave to the right and check out some of his other stuff.

YerDugliness
October 23rd, 2007, 06:34 PM
Not the greatest of guitarists, but he sure can sing better than Tom!!

I say that knowing one of my favorite songs to do is "Temptation", by Tom Waitts, but I would have never done it like he does. My version is more like Dianna Krall's.

I'd pay to go see DogHouseDave, though--I kink of like that rough, whiskey-soaked vocal quality and rough, tough playing style he has.

Good post, Strum!!!

Dugly :cool:

just strum
October 23rd, 2007, 06:51 PM
Not the greatest of guitarists, but he sure can sing better than Tom!!

I say that knowing one of my favorite songs to do is "Temptation", by Tom Waitts, but I would have never done it like he does. My version is more like Dianna Krall's.

I'd pay to go see DogHouseDave, though--I kink of like that rough, whiskey-soaked vocal quality and rough, tough playing style he has.

Good post, Strum!!!

Yep, not the greatest of guitarist, but just a guy that enjoys playing and apparently collecting guitars. He's the kind of guy you would just sit down and jam with, not so far advanced that he wouldn't be bothered with you. Just having fun and that's what it's all about.

Edit: You know, the more I listen the more I like the stuff he's doing

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SWXAt93RT8

Now I am no judge of talent, but I know what I like.

YerDugliness
October 23rd, 2007, 08:55 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!!

That guy rocks my sox off!

Hell, not only would I pay to see him, I'd drive half way across Texas to do so!

Whether or not you are a good judge of talent is moot, Strum, I know what you like, and I like it, too.

Now, please excuse me while I spend the next few hours watching whatever this guy has on YouTube! BTW--check out his version of "Stormy Monday".