PDA

View Full Version : Blues distortion pedal

GREENMACHINE
October 24th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Hey Guys
I like to play blues and was wondering if anyone knew of a blues distortion pedal that might be good to get preferably not the best top range price but not a crappy one either. If you could post a link to read more about it and maybe a pic that would be awesome!

Many thanks
GREENMACHINE:D

SuperSwede
October 24th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Digitech - Bad Monkey

DVM seems to enjoy his new Behringer TO100 as well, check out his review...

GREENMACHINE
October 24th, 2007, 12:18 AM
Hey SuperSwede
Ok thanks man, appreciate that ay.

Many thanks
GREENMACHINE

Robert
October 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Bad Monkey is great. Check out the Danelectro FAB Distortion too - very cheaply built but with great tone.

Big_Rob
October 24th, 2007, 07:29 AM
I have to agree with everyone, Bad Monkey all dee way :Dude:

duhvoodooman
October 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Another vote for the Bad Monkey. A great blues OD pedal at a very reasonable price. If you're willing to poke around on eBay, you can find a nice used one for probably $25 - $30. The Behringer TO100 is great for the price (I got one brand new on eBay for $16 + shipping!), but it isn't as good as the Monkey, and I own both. If you wanted to spend as little as possible and still get a good OD pedal, the TO100 would fit the bill perfectly. But if you don't mind spending a bit more, the Bad Monkey is definitely superior. And it's built like a tank vs. the Behringer pedal's more fragile plastic construction.

Tone2TheBone
October 24th, 2007, 09:00 AM
I have to agree with everyone, Bad Monkey all dee way :Dude:

You have my old Bad Monkey don't you?

Big_Rob
October 24th, 2007, 09:06 AM
You have my old Bad Monkey don't you?

Yup and I use it every day :D

Its by far my favorite pedal to use.

sunvalleylaw
October 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM

+1! It and my Behringer Tuner and Powerboost are the ones that are turned on every day. :Dude:

Big_Rob
October 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM
+1! It and my Behringer Tuner and Powerboost are the ones that are turned on every day. :Dude:

Heh, I have the Bad Monkey and my Behringer Hell Babe wah on everyday.

Tone2TheBone
October 24th, 2007, 09:41 AM

It's a great pedal. Glad to see you put it to good use! :beer:

GREENMACHINE
October 25th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Hey Guys
So how much american would the Bad Monkey be brand new?

Thanks

duhvoodooman
October 25th, 2007, 05:14 AM
Going rate at most of the big resellers is $50. But I just found it listed at Zzounds.com (http://www.zzounds.com/item--DGTDBM) for only $40. Sweet deal!! :Dude: :AOK:

Algonquin
October 25th, 2007, 05:56 AM
It sounds like there are quite a few fans of the Bad Monkey... hard to go wrong when that many folks endorse a product they own.

I have the Boss OD pedal, and it's been nothing but great.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOSSD1

Demo...
http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/SD-1_ToneDemo-c1b82a7ba46fa8b226b5e84a34707a20.mp3

If you have the chance to look at one, it may be a good choice also.

Cheers, :beer:

David

GREENMACHINE
October 26th, 2007, 12:55 AM
Hey Guys
I found this blues distortion pedal its called: DIGITECH DSB SCREAMIN BLUES OVERDRIVE PEDAL do you think it is any good?

Many thanks

GREENMACHINE
October 26th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Hey Guys
Here is a link to the Eric Clapton blues pedal, which one do you think would be better for me to get the Eric Clapton one or the Bad Monkey?

Here's the link to Eric Clapton's: http://www.digitech.com/products/ClaptonPedal/ClaptonDemo.htm

Many thanks

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I think this is more of a "specialty" pedal than what I would consider a true blues/rock overdrive. I wonder how many of the tones you'd really find useful, plus it costs $100. I think you already got your answer loud & clear here, based upon your originally stated desire for a moderately priced blues pedal.

Leonidas
October 26th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Jumping in a little late.. But heres another vote for the bad monkey!

It's the one pedal that I use much more than anything else. And it sounds great on any amp/guitar I've tried it with.

+1 for the Bad Monkey!

Big_Rob
October 26th, 2007, 10:23 AM
Hey Guys
I found this blues distortion pedal its called: DIGITECH DSB SCREAMIN BLUES OVERDRIVE PEDAL do you think it is any good?

Many thanks

From my understanding of that pedal is that it is a Overdrive and a Distortion pedal in one nice little package

birv2
October 30th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I've got two I use a lot and one new one I just got yesterday. I'm a charter member of the CBGG's (Cheap Bastard Gear Guys) and can't imagine (or afford) a pedal that's over $75. Here's what I use:

Arion Tubulator -- got it for about $10 new. Smooth, creamy distortion. Tone dial does almost nothing. Definitely a one-trick pony but it's a good trick.

Danelectro FAB Overdrive -- My secret weapon. Got it for about $15 new. A VERY high gain device -- you only need to crank the gain knob up about 1/20 of the whole way. I love the overtones you can get from this thing. Only bad thing is the knobs are backwards, which can lead to some interesting results.

Behringer OD 100 -- Just got this one yesterday and can't say yet. It's got your normal gain/drive/tone knobs plus one more, mode: all the way to the left is overdrive, all the way to the right is distortion. You can play with it to get your own fave mix. Got it for $20 plus shipping from ebay. I'll post more as I play with it.

The other consideration is where on the "blues overdrive" scale you land. You can go from clean Gibson BB King up to heavily overdriven rockin blues from Walter Trout or Joe Bonamassa. So your choice of pedal depends on your tone and your ear.

Bob

R.B. Huckleberry
November 16th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I won both the Bad Monkey & the Screamin' Blues. The BM is smooth a la the classic Tube Screamer. The SB has a little more "sizzle" 'round the high end.

Either would be a good choice.

GREENMACHINE
November 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I won both the Bad Monkey & the Screamin' Blues. The BM is smooth a la the classic Tube Screamer. The SB has a little more "sizzle" 'round the high end.

Either would be a good choice.

Hey R.B Huckleberry
Thanks for your advice on the pedals.

Many thanks

Spudman
November 16th, 2007, 11:41 PM
RB
Experiment with running one into the other then switch them and let us know your results.

I prefer sizzle first then a pedal like the Monkey, but everyone likes different things.

R.B. Huckleberry
November 17th, 2007, 08:24 AM
First of all, I typed "won" instead of "own". i would like to make it clear that I have never won anything in my life. And that's what fuels my boundless rage on the guitar, and makes me rock...somewhat.

To spudman's point: yeah, chaining the little buggers together can be great fun. I have 2 Monkeys that, when I had my Deluxe Reverb Reissue, would be my dirty rhythm & lead tones. 2nd Monkey set for more of a boost. Occassionally, I'd use the Screamin' Blues for riffing, then add a Monkey for leads. Fun Stuff!