PDA

View Full Version : Even HIM?!?!?

duhvoodooman
October 24th, 2007, 11:26 AM
So you still haven't found that PERFECT amp?? Well, you're in good company. While reading THIS (http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/books/10/24/clapton.autobiography.ap/index.html) article about Eric Clapton's new autobiography (which, BTW, sounds VERY interesting), I came across this interview exchange:

"...I still don't feel like I've got it right. I'm still working on my sound."

What? Eric Clapton is still working on hitting the right notes?

"Yeah," he replies, his laugh filling the room. "Still trying to get the right amp."

So don't feel bad, if you're still looking/listening, too. He's been at it for about 45 years! GAS....it's for a lifetime!! ;)

Tone2TheBone
October 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Voo he HAD his sound back in the 60s with John Mayall!!! He needs to revisit those tones.

duhvoodooman
October 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I loved that Beano Marshall combo/LP tone, too. I gotta admit, I'm not all that crazy about the heavily mid-boosted Strat tone he uses so much now.

Big_Rob
October 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
That would be typical of a perfectionist such as Clapton to say.

My wife and my friends say Im a great guitar player but yet I still think I suck.

250Keith
October 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM
My self, a Lp and a tube amp is the sound I love.
Go's together like peas & carrots.

Tone2TheBone
October 24th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I almost wish Eric had Buddy's tone. Or my tone. Or yours. I also don't like that midrangy muddy boost sound he's getting these days. I wish he'd plug into an old Super and leave the treble alone on the amp and just freakin' play it the way a Fender is supposed to sound. Eric I'm taking away your cane rods if you keep this up. :reallymad: :D No more fishing for you until you bring us back home to Beano at least!

duhvoodooman
October 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
My wife and my friends say Im a great guitar player but yet I still think I suck.
That's one of the funny things about being a guitar player. Compared to some people, you are a great guitarist. And compared to some others, you suck. And with very few exceptions, that never changes, even though your relative position on the great-to-suck continuum moves around (hopefully toward great and away from suck, over time). I guess that's pretty much true with any skill-based endeavor....

marnold
October 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think this tone-chasing is quite typical of great guitarists. For every B.B. King who totes Lucille and a Fender combo to every gig, you'll also have the likes of George Lynch. If you ask what is set up is, you have to ask which album you're talking about and maybe even which tour in support of that album. Sometimes they change because of a new endorsement deal. Most of the time they change because the tone they hear in their head proves to be elusive.

scorona
October 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Hey DVM - the new Clapton autobiography is very good. Just finished reading (er, I mean listening to) it while on the road this week. Interesting to learn about the life of my guitar hero from his perspective.

Jimi75
October 25th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Voo he HAD his sound back in the 60s with John Mayall!!! He needs to revisit those tones.

+1

When he was playing wiht JM his sound was perfect.

Lev
October 25th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I loved that Beano Marshall combo/LP tone, too. I gotta admit, I'm not all that crazy about the heavily mid-boosted Strat tone he uses so much now.

Yep, his strat doesn't actually sound like a strat - it's a kinda generic tone. I'd love to hear him play a classic strat or an LP again. I love his unplugged album becuase it's just his raw talent with no 'gear' issues. He's still amazing though whatever he plays!

R_of_G
October 25th, 2007, 06:01 AM

+2 for you Tone. 1 for reminding me how awesome EC's sound is on the Bluesbreakers album, 1 for the Charlie Brown avatar. Halloween 1991 I dressed as Charlie Brown in his ghost costume. I even went so far as to tape a picture of Charlie Brown on top of my license picture. When I got to the bar my friends and I were going to, the bouncer laughed so hard at the ID that he said "dude, I don't care if you're 21 or not, you're in." Awesome avatar!

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Yep, his strat doesn't actually sound like a strat - it's a kinda generic tone. I'd love to hear him play a classic strat or an LP again. I love his unplugged album becuase it's just his raw talent with no 'gear' issues. He's still amazing though whatever he plays!

Hmm, interesting. The unplugged disc was the first one I really like of E.C.'s. Maybe that is the reason. I have never listened to his stuff before the mid-70's stuff that was on the radio when I started listening more to rock music. I was trying to stay away from drugs as a kid and did not like the "Cocaine" number that was so popular at all, and my cousin is named Sally and hates the other song I was aware of at the time. Layla was ok, but didn't hook me. So I got turned off by him then and never really went back much. I have to go listen to the older stuff and see what I think. Right now, the only other (than the un-plugged) Clapton album I'll reach for is the one with B.B. King. It is interesting he is still looking for his sound. Being a strat player now, I would like to hear a more unadulterated strat tone from him. I love watching his techniques. (I was given an instructional disc based mostly on his Unplugged release).

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM
+2 for you Tone. 1 for reminding me how awesome EC's sound is on the Bluesbreakers album, 1 for the Charlie Brown avatar. Halloween 1991 I dressed as Charlie Brown in his ghost costume. I even went so far as to tape a picture of Charlie Brown on top of my license picture. When I got to the bar my friends and I were going to, the bouncer laughed so hard at the ID that he said "dude, I don't care if you're 21 or not, you're in." Awesome avatar!

Thanks RoG. I have a close connection with good ole Charlie Brown and I always loved that costume. Loved your story too! :beer:

Jimi - I owe a Fret member here a great thanks for reintroducing me to the Beano album. I wholeheartedly agree along with you and To ME that is Eric's best sounding period...that and with Cream.

Spudman
October 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM
To ME that is Eric's best sounding period...that and with Cream.

Which reminds me...

Q - What do a cup of coffee and Eric Clapton have in common?

A - They both suck without Cream

:D

Robert
October 25th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Hey, most of us like our coffee black anyway, don't we? :D

snarph
October 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
A rose by any other name is still a rose

Big_Rob
October 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM
That's one of the funny things about being a guitar player. Compared to some people, you are a great guitarist. And compared to some others, you suck. And with very few exceptions, that never changes, even though your relative position on the great-to-suck continuum moves around (hopefully toward great and away from suck, over time). I guess that's pretty much true with any skill-based endeavor....

Thats the way I look at it.

Its like when I go to any music store to waste a few hours playing many different guitars :Dude:

I love it when there are people in there that are on a level less than mine and I sound like an absolute guitar god, but then its the opposite when theres that one guy in there tearing it up making me sound like a total n00b

R_of_G
October 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Which reminds me...

Q - What do a cup of coffee and Eric Clapton have in common?

A - They both suck without Cream

:D

Though I think the joke was hilarious, my personal favorite period for EC is by far Derek & the Dominos. After that it's Bluesbreakers then Cream. I don't like a large portion of his solo catalog.

Spudman
October 25th, 2007, 12:29 PM
This will explain everything.
nCzUMjCykn8

SuperSwede
October 25th, 2007, 12:37 PM
nCzUMjCykn8

I thought they made it clear during the woodstock festival.... DONT TOUCH THE BROWN PILLS!

ted s
October 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
owch, I hate to say it, but that was painful, WTF was that all about ?
It looked to be after his "cleaned up" era, but.. but.. but..

Tone2TheBone
October 25th, 2007, 01:13 PM
That's what it sounds like in Guitar Center yup.

marnold
October 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
owch, I hate to say it, but that was painful, WTF was that all about ?
It looked to be after his "cleaned up" era, but.. but.. but..
Twas fake. Funny, but fake.

Best take on the "Freeform Jazz Odyssey" that I've heard in some time.

There's also this one from Slash:
EEwIRZ9pLCM

Although the Iron Maiden one is shorter and funnier (esp when Bruce "sings")
AkAx-j9whiA

Big_Rob
October 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Dayum, what was that? EC trying to emulate a Grateful Dead jam?

snarph
October 25th, 2007, 02:31 PM
whoa thats not nice ............:):):) has happened to me before people have selective hearing and think they are the last word sure glad they don't actually sound like that got to admit that it would be great to se EC put one on like that

BARNSTORMER
October 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
I wish I had Claptons tone even on his worst day .. to crap on his tone is a fraking joke ..I gotta laugh at this thread .. just proves why people think this forum is lame sometimes .. yeah I know its just your opinion and all that but for gods sake give your brain a chance , some of you should go back to asking questions about what pickguard color you should put on your 99 dollar squire .brutal just brutal . whatever happened to the posters around here that could actually write a sentence on their own .. what a sad state of affairs this place has become.the blind leading the blind .

Big_Rob
October 26th, 2007, 01:06 PM
I wish I had Claptons tone even on his worst day .. to crap on his tone is a fraking joke ..I gotta laugh at this thread .. just proves why people think this forum is lame sometimes .. yeah I know its just your opinion and all that but for gods sake give your brain a chance , some of you should go back to asking questions about what pickguard color you should put on your 99 dollar squire .brutal just brutal . whatever happened to the posters around here that could actually write a sentence on their own .. what a sad state of affairs this place has become.the blind leading the blind .
FYI, If we're so lame here, you dont have to put up with our lameness by just not visiting the forum.

Personally, I strive for my own tone and not Claptons.

ted s
October 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Twas fake. Funny, but fake.

Pheeewoo, that's a relief..

marnold
October 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Did you read this thread? Most of this thread has been talking about how people love Clapton's tone with the Bluesbreakers, Cream, etc., but aren't a big fan of his Strat tone. Is that a crime? Does that make them "a joke . . . lame . . . brutal" or incapable of constructing a sentence? Why not just defend Clapton? Say you like his Strat tone! Why jump to an ad hominem attack?

Case in point, I'm one of the few here it seems who likes listening to some shred. Generally when a thread comes up about it people state their dislike. I try to post my side of things, but let it go from there. Other threads speak of the wonder of Green Day. I'd sooner back myself over with my car than listen to them. I cannot expect that everyone will share my opinion.

WRT Clapton, the only time his Strat tone has "troubled" me was when I saw the Cream reunion thing on PBS. My ear was so used to hearing the songs the way they were originally recorded that playing them on a Strat sounded odd. That didn't stop me from watching and enjoying the special. Personally, I'd just as soon listen to "From the Cradle" which is one of my favorite albums by anybody, to say nothing of Clapton. Very tasty blues indeed.

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 03:58 PM
...Other threads speak of the wonder of Green Day. I'd sooner back myself over with my car than listen to them.
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Personally, I'd just as soon listen to "From the Cradle" which is one of my favorite albums by anybody, to say nothing of Clapton. Very tasty blues indeed.
Yes, indeed! One of my favorites, as well. I like a lot of the stuff on Me & Mr. Johnson, as well. Fabulous blues guitar playing, in a wide variety of different styles.

tot_Ou_tard
October 27th, 2007, 05:54 AM
My self, a Lp and a tube amp is the sound I love.
Go's together like peas & carrots.
Worse side dish ever: Little square carrots n' peas. ;)

Did he describe at all what he was looking for, or was he just refering generally to the fact that no artist feels that what is concretized truly matches the original vision?

I doubt that he is scouring the world for amps n' axes n' pedals and trying one after the other saying no not this, not this, not this, a little better but I need it more sparkly on top & with a tighter bottom,..

LagrangeCalvert
October 27th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Worse side dish ever: Little square carrots n' peas. ;)

Did he describe at all what he was looking for, or was he just refering generally to the fact that no artist feels that what is concretized truly matches the original vision?

I doubt that he is scouring the world for amps n' axes n' pedals and trying one after the other saying no not this, not this, not this, a little better but I need it more sparkly on top & with a tighter bottom,..

I dunno...this might be a bad comparison...BUT, I live in cincinnati...the home of funk legend Bootsy Collins....I ran into Mr.Collins at guitar center right before closing on a Sunday night when its dead, and he had three different Bass combo's and was looking/playing several different basses...

I doubt clapton would sit at a guitar center in public and look for stuff...but I dont put it past him to "hunt the elusive tone monster" at a closed stores/ private collections/booo-teek shops.

G.A.S. is G.A.S. no matter who you are.....And tone chasing is something we all do....

tot_Ou_tard
October 28th, 2007, 06:20 AM
I dunno...this might be a bad comparison...BUT, I live in cincinnati...the home of funk legend Bootsy Collins....I ran into Mr.Collins at guitar center right before closing on a Sunday night when its dead, and he had three different Bass combo's and was looking/playing several different basses...

I doubt clapton would sit at a guitar center in public and look for stuff...but I dont put it past him to "hunt the elusive tone monster" at a closed stores/ private collections/booo-teek shops.

G.A.S. is G.A.S. no matter who you are.....And tone chasing is something we all do....

Bootsy Baby!!!

Sure, & there are other big names who do just this, but it seems to me that Clapton has got his tone & is sticking with it no matter what he says :D .

Of course, if I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time ;).

LagrangeCalvert
October 29th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Bootsy Baby!!!

Sure, & there are other big names who do just this, but it seems to me that Clapton has got his tone & is sticking with it no matter what he says :D .

Of course, if I am wrong, it wouldn't be the first time ;).

Correction......clapton used to have his tone....now he has this thin brittle midrange thang.....I don't enjoy his new tone.

Can we say, bluesbreaker LP/Explorer or a strat with a little less mids.

t.O.t. I think we can both agree when your the CLAP, you have the clout, money, and respect to have any tone you want....even if its not great <~~ Just my opinion. Its just too damn thin/brittle as of late....we need THICK expressive bite from him...get his cajones back, some attitude and come out playin. Just my opinion.

Tone2TheBone
October 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM
..."do you have the time...to listen to me whine...about nothing and everything all at once..."

Love,

Billy Jo

:Dude: