PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Skill Level

just strum
October 25th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Since I'm new here, I haven't really been able to get a handle on the skill level of the members and was curious as to the mix that participates on thefret. It would be interesting to hear from the members on where they think they are with their skill level. I sense most of us are hard on ourselves, so if you respond, be fair to yourself.

I would classify myself as a beginner. I've been playing/practicing for about 1.5 years. Between work and family (wife and two kids) I do not get the time I would like to practice more, especially week days. I still debate on whether I should take lessons.

My skill level is very minimal, I can play a couple Neil Young songs, two Dylan, do some various riffs and go through chord progressions and scales. Really haven't put it together to the point where I could contribute to a constructive jam session.

My strength: Determination

My weakness: Expecting too much

Robert
October 25th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I'm somewhere in the middle... :)

just strum
October 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM

I was trying to come up with a scale so we could quantify beginner, middle, accomplished...

I thought about using examples of various artist or maybe even better yet would be noting the song we are best at playing.

Robert, we have an advantage of knowing where your at by watching your videos, but I have a feeling they aren't giving us a complete view of your playing ability.

If someone has a suggestion for a scale of measurement, feel free to make a suggestion. Right now my best idea would be noting the song you can play the best - mine is Knocking on Heavens Door and Helpless Helpless. Two really simple songs.

250Keith
October 25th, 2007, 06:16 PM
I right were you are Strum.
I love trying to play though.

warren0728
October 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
well the last time i was playing slide i had a new neighbor call PETA and tell them someone was torturing a cat....what "cat"agory does that put me in? :rotflmao:

ww

duhvoodooman
October 25th, 2007, 07:01 PM
well the last time i was playing slide i had a new neighbor call PETA and tell them someone was torturing a cat....what "cat"agory does that put me in?
Nearly purr-fect? Highly mew-sical? Playing with great feline? :thwap:

I could keep this up longer, but I won't.... :D

pes_laul
October 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
you know warren i think your the king of funny puns

As for me I'd say I'm moderate I only know two lead scales though minor penatonic and dorian the hardest song I know is probaly the lead from bark at the moon and Sweet child o mine (oh i also know the lead from warpigs and i know suite madame blue)) I am not the biggest fan of playing other peoples music i like to find backing tracks (or make them) and play lead to them

YerDugliness
October 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
With me, it depends.

If you're talking fingerstyle, I think I can hold my own with most non-professional players, having played a classical guitar for 35 years. As for the song I enjoy playing most (keep in mind I'm still talking about the classical guitar here), I'd say it is Don McLean's "Vincent". It is perhaps the most beautiful song I've ever heard played on the classical guitar; Chet Atkins was the artist! As I play "Vincent", I have my eyes closed so I can see the slide show--every phrase in the lyrics relates to a different painting or drawing by Vincent. Unfortunately, the effort expended in enriching the guitar playing and visualizing the artwork renders me unable to engage the mouth, but that's OK, since classical guitar is mainly an instrumental endeavor. There are some songs I play on the classical and sing ("Yesterday" by the Beatles is an example), and I guess I do so well enough to avoid chasing folks off, but in my mind I don't have a very good voice. Still, I do what I can to make the song my own and have yet to be told I suck when I perform that one.

As for usinig a pick (something I only do with a steel string guitar, never with my classical guitars), I'm a relative newby at that, only picked one up 3 years ago. I must have a pretty good sense of rhythm, b/c a friend with whom I have played a few times tells me I'm an excellent rhythm player. I don't think so, as I have yet to master the faster rhythm styles, like bluegrass, but I think I improve every day. I have a pretty good chord vocabulary and that helps, as does being able to use barre chords well. I use the steel string for strumming only. I don't have a lead line in my head, but that doesn't keep me from wishing...........and hoping.................and dreaming.............oh, well.

With the electric I'm even more of a newby. I just got my first electric this past spring and really don't play it much, but I do have a few songs I reserve for the electric. The favorite of those is "Temptation", by Tom Waitts, but I don't like his version, so I do Dianna Krall's. This song I can sing as I play the rhythm portion. Here's a link to a YouTube of Dianna Krall''s version (I'm listening to this as I type these words):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ZT7c8e_tQ

So, Strum, I guess it should be obvious that within my journey from beginner to advanced, I tread on many portions of the path at the same time. As you get more experience, you will find that you will, too. The great (???) thing about it is that if you really love playing guitar, have music in your soul, there will always be challenges and therefore you will never reach the end of that path, where the pot of gold lies at the end of the rainbow.

My dream??? I have a motto: "I'm going to live to be 100 or die trying!!". Here's hoping that whenever that happens, it happens with a guitar in my hands and a song in my heart.

Dugly :cool:

Spudman
October 25th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Maybe the middle of the upper 1%.:AOK:

warren0728
October 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM
truly i'm beginner to moderate....i really want to learn more theory and understand when to play things i play...i keep promising myself i am going to start really "learning" how to play instead of just playing around...it's all about time management though....i need to make time to really work on guitar....

owning my own business i seem to always make time for my clients.....i need to start making some time for just me!

WW

WackyT
October 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Beginner still learning scales and chords.

warren0728
October 25th, 2007, 07:16 PM
If you're talking fingerstyle, I think I can hold my own with most non-professional players, having played a classical guitar for 35 years.
a long time ago in a galaxy far far away (university of florida in the 80's) i dated a girl who was classically trained on guitar....she didn't play for many people but she would play for me....blew me away every time she took out her classical guitar with the huge neck and nylon strings and played.... :drool:

ww

just strum
October 25th, 2007, 07:28 PM
truly i'm beginner to moderate....i really want to learn more theory and understand when to play things i play...i keep promising myself i am going to start really "learning" how to play instead of just playing around...it's all about time management though....i need to make time to really work on guitar....

owning my own business i seem to always make time for my clients.....i need to start making some time for just me!

WW

Warren, I have the same goal - to learn some theory, just to have a better understanding of what I am trying to learn. When I watched that Truefire DVD, I realized the importance of theory to improve the learning process. It's not a necessity, but it certainly would help.

Own your own business? I thought guys like you have all the free time in the world:rotflmao:

just strum
October 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
My dream??? I have a motto: "I'm going to live to be 100 or die trying!!". Here's hoping that whenever that happens, it happens with a guitar in my hands and a song in my heart.

Dugly :cool:

I take mine from Steven Wright "I plan on living forever - so far, so good."

stingx
October 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I'm slightly better than "suck".

warren0728
October 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Own your own business? I thought guys like you have all the free time in the world:rotflmao:
now that's funny i don't care who you are....it's 9:53pm my time and i am still getting emails from clients because i had a server start acting up and during the transition to a new server some of their php stuff isn't working....i'm ready to move somewhere out in the middle of nowhere (spud, there must be some land near you you) and living OFF the grid and growing my own food!!

the rat race can not be won!

ww

just strum
October 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
now that's funny i don't care who you are....it's 9:53pm my time and i am still getting emails from clients because i had a server start acting up and during the transition to a new server some of their php stuff isn't working....i'm ready to move somewhere out in the middle of nowhere (spud, there must be some land near you you) and living OFF the grid and growing my own food!!

ww

Yep, would love to find a way to dedicate serious time to playing guitar and being involved in music - probably one of my few regrets in life - I wish I would have started my pursuit at a young age.

just strum
October 25th, 2007, 07:45 PM

I'm not buying that - come on give us a real description of your skill level.

duhvoodooman
October 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM
That works for me, too. Thanks, StingX....

warren0728
October 25th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yep, would love to find a way to dedicate serious time to playing guitar and being involved in music - probably one of my few regrets in life - I wish I would have started my pursuit at a young age.
i started playing in middle school but never took it seriously...played a little in high school then when i finally decided to take it up again (after several years of marriage...now divorced)...a few years ago i had a couple of kids and of course....put the music aside....now my 11 year old son is interested in playing but i don't know enough to teach him properly....wish i would have stuck with it during the early years! Maybe we can learn together!

ww

snarph
October 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM
If no one is listening I'm great specially if the don't know what they are listening to I can fake it really well

marnold
October 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I'm the best crappy guitarist I know in my house that I'm aware of.

ted s
October 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM
You too Marnold ?!

Spudman
October 25th, 2007, 08:37 PM
....i'm ready to move somewhere out in the middle of nowhere (spud, there must be some land near you you) and living OFF the grid and growing my own food!!

ww

Might be a good idea to get here soon before the rush. I can also help you with your playing and you can teach me how to mix drinks.

sunvalleylaw
October 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Maybe the middle of the upper 1%.:AOK:

Hmm, commented on his, but no thoughts on yours? Nah, can't let you get away with that. Come on, out with it! :beer:

I am beginner plus. Been playing regularly a year and 5 months, and electric not quite a year. I can play along on simple strummed rhythms on simple rock oriented songs, keeping decent time and anticipating chord changes pretty well, but would be considered sloppy by anyone more professional than the local guys in a garage. I know the pentatonic scale and its mirror decently, and the blues scale, and can noodle out a solo, though again it is sloppy. I am adding chords as we speak beyond the normal open shapes, can barre ok with simple barre shapes (E shape, A minor shape), and have an ok ear, and can sound out simple melodies on a fret board. learning some about theory, but it seems harder to me on a fretboard than on a piano keyboard where the it is all laid out in linear fashion in black and white. Probably just a mental shift needed there.

I also don't get enough quality practice time, but am working on that. I also am determined, and also can tend to expect a lot sooner rather than later. But I am having a lot of fun!

warren0728
October 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Might be a good idea to get here soon before the rush. I can also help you with your playing and you can teach me how to mix drinks.
my job would be easier...get a good single malt scotch...pour how much you want and don't do anything to it but sip it!!

ww

t_ross33
October 25th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I've been playing since I was 11 or 12, so that makes it... aaahhhhrgh! almost 30 freakin' years! How can someone who's been playing for 30 freakin' years still suck so bad! :rotflmao:

I consider myself beginner to entry-level intermediate. Completely self taught, so I really have no idea why I do what I do, I just noodle until I find something that sounds somewhat "right". I know all the major and minor open chord shapes and can barre major and minor chords up and down the neck. I can hold my own as a rhythm player I think, on electric or acoustic (comes from my bass-player roots I guess). I'd be pretty comfortable sitting in and jammin' in just about any situation.

I can wheedle out a few riffs, but not much that you'd call a "lead" or a "solo". The first song I taught myself was "Wildwood Flower", followed by "Tennessee Flat Top Box". Can read some tab, but can only follow along if I slow the song down to about 1/4 speed or slower :messedup: Don't really know any scales. Theory - yeah, right :whatever:

One song that we do, and I think we do it quite well, is Jerry Doucette's "Mamma Let Him Play". A cousin taught me a couple of riffs from this song years ago. We were foolin' around at a practice a few months ago and started jammin' it and the song just came back and flowed from my fingers :Dude: Sorta :rotflmao: Anyway, it rocks and the audience usually can't tell if I'm running it through the blender or not.

BUT...

I'm taking my first lesson Saturday! Should be interesting. Wish me luck :AOK:

Trev

jasongins
October 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
I'm 34, I have been playing for just under a year, and have been taking bi-weekly lessons for about nine months. I would classify myself as beginner. I can play all five minor pentatonic patterns and am able to connect them vertically up and down the neck to some degree, though I am having problems transitioning from playing scales into something that sounds like a solo and not just a series of notes. On one of the patterns, I can add the flat 5 (blues), maj 6 (dorian), maj 3, and 9th. I can also play a major scale (ionian). I am also working on being able to change key at a particular location on the neck by changing the pattern rather than moving up or down the neck to a different location. Doing ok with chords - plenty of open chords, barre cords (major, minor, seventh , minor seventh), some 9th chords, I even know A13. I am currently working on triads on the G B and E strings, four part chord voicings (G7, C7, and D7 using strings 2 3 4 and 6 in several positions up and down the neck). I can play some arpeggios as well. I can see that my teacher wants me to understand the instrument rather than just learn to play songs, so I have been focusing on doing what he tells me. I am hopeful that learning songs will come easier as my understanding of the instrument increases. As for songs, I can play White Room, but I am lousy and unoriginal when it comes to the solo part. I can muddle my way through Purple Haze, but it gets too crazy at the end. My rhythm playing and right hand technique need a lot of work, but it isn't something my teacher and I have really focused on just yet. In addition to taking lessons, I grab bits and pieces from Robert's videos, from other videos on YouTube, and from the online lessons from my Line6 Toneport GX.

I am hoping to achieve a level where I could sit in with the band at a wedding, or play ridiculous 80's covers with a band at a bar, party, or reunion.

Adrian30
October 25th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Well here’s where I am:

Completely self-taught, and know very little theory. Just like T_ross, I can play major, minor and barre chords, but that’s not what I usually like to do. I like to solo / improvise along various tunes and I do it exclusively by ear. By “various tunes” I mean from every guitarists favorite (Hendrix, SRV etc) to traditional music from Balkans (South-Eastern Europe), often playing along, or trying to imitate violin and clarinet pieces. I guess it would be appropriate to say that I am more attracted to the melodic aspect rather than rhythmic.

For the last 6 years, I played only electric guitars (started out on an Ibanez Jumpstart pack in 2001), in my teen years I “messed around” with an acoustic. Hanging around here (The Fret) has taught me a lot. Like Henderson’s phrasing lesson, and I’m not talking about Ed having sex with his girlfriend.:D

Though I still consider myself a beginner, often somewhat sloppy in playing, I can jam along, probably more contributing with single-line melodic passages than actually leading.
I don’t know does this make any sense…

All in all, I still suck, and I need to practice much more, just like this guy.:R

R_of_G
October 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I'd label myself an "intermediate" player. I have been playing for 7.5 years, electric for 5. I can read tablature but cannot read or write musical notation. The first few years I was strictly rhythm, mostly 12 bar blues and simple 2 or 3 chord songs [a lot of Dylan, Neil Young, CCR, etc] with friends, one of whom is a great player who would solo over what we were playing. Eventually, I started to be able to solo myself. Our friend who did most of the soloing moved to California a few years ago, so now it is just my friend Steve and myself. He plays rhythm and I do the soloing.

For the past year or so, when we play together we haven't really been concentrating on playing "songs" as we used to, but have focused more on developing our improv skills. Our playing now is more along the lines of "pick a key and a style and go" [for example, a slow funk groove in A, or a rambling blues in E, etc]. It really helps develop the ability to listen to what someone else is playing and figuring out your place in the whole piece. I am trying to develop into the kind of player who can be thrown into any improv situation and come up with something relevant to play.

When I practice alone I do often still play actual songs, usually as a way to warm up my hands for an hour or so before I start working on my own stuff. some of the songs I think I play particularly well [ie. chords, riffs, solos and all] are "Jockey Full of Bourbon" and "Rain Dogs" by Tom Waits, "She Said, She Said" by the Beatles, "Train in Vain" by the Clash, and the one that used to be my signature tune, "Having an Average Weekend" [aka Theme to The Kids in the Hall] by Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet. I know a ton of other songs [incl most of the Ramones' catalog], but these are the ones I seem to drift back to time and time again.

As far as development of original material, I have yet to write a complete piece, but I have fleshed out a handful of ideas [chord progressions, melodies, etc] that I would like to get around to completing over the next year. :Dude:

Spudman
October 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM
I like to think that I'm skilled enough to play what I play with conviction and feel, but I'm not skilled enough to play what other players with more knowledge of theory than I have can play. I don't let that bother me.

just strum
October 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
By reading the posts in the other sections I would have thought the skill level to be much higher. Either I misjudged you guys or you are two hard on determining your ability, I'm leaning toward the later.

Anyway, it's somewhat comforting to know I am not alone when it comes to my skill level, but I hope there are enough experienced people around to learn from.

Overall, some interesting responses.

aeolian
October 26th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I played guitar for 30 of the last 40 years, so you would think I should be better.

I can read music if I do it slowly. I know what chords belong to which key and I can generally find them on the fretboard. I can emulate many songs if I set my mind to it (except for shredding). I am reasonably proficient at figuring out chord progressions to songs armed with the above knowledge. I don't hardly get any time to play; about once or twice a week for a total of a couple of hours is it, so my playing remains mediocre. Here a sample of me playing over a backing track posted here some time ago, and you be the judge:

http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/improv.mp3

I do make up music from scratch. I can give examples of that but I should leave that for another day.

ted s
October 26th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Either I misjudged you guys or you are two hard on determining your ability, I'm leaning toward the later.
Yes, there are some ringers here that are a tad modest.

Ro3b
October 26th, 2007, 12:15 PM
I started out playing classical guitar, then drifted into several rock/punk/garage bands before getting into Irish music. I just started playing electric again about a year and a half ago. So I've got a really good knowledge of music theory, and I'm an excellent comper, but my lead chops are kind of down there in Ace Frehley land. Not that that's a bad thing -- a one note guitar solo can really rock if it's a really good note -- but I'd love to get back to the level I was at in my 20s.

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 12:56 PM
By reading the posts in the other sections I would have thought the skill level to be much higher. Either I misjudged you guys or you are two hard on determining your ability, I'm leaning toward the later.
Yeah, I think you're right. We have some pretty good players here, but nobody seems to want to admit to it. We're pretty leery of "totem-polling" here at TheFret, I think.

If you've been to Robert's website, you know of his very considerable skills! But you might get a better idea of what some of the other guys can do by poking around in the Member Clips forum and listening to some of the posted clip links there. Listen & judge for yourself.

R_of_G
October 26th, 2007, 01:16 PM
If you've been to Robert's website, you know of his very considerable skills!

And since Robert labeled himself an "intermediate" I certainly wasn't rating my skills higher than that. You're VERY modest Robert.

SuperSwede
October 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I can play "twinkle twinkle little star" in pretty much any key!

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I can play "Louie Louie" in pretty much any key! ;)

Guitar Gal
October 26th, 2007, 02:33 PM
About a month ago, my neighbor saw me doing some yard work outside and came over to talk to me. She asked me if I was learning to play the electric guitar .... guess my amp was louder than I thought :eek:

She went on to say that she has noticed my recent playing was better than when I first started......:puke:

So I guess my skill level is somewhere between not having the neighbors call the cops for disturbing the peace and having someone who does not play guitar being able to recognize that I am playing the guitar and not torturing my cats......:DR

GG

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Okay, guess it's about time that I posted a serious answer to a legitimate question.

I'd say I'm a guitar player of intermediate skills, though fairly narrow in scope. My "thing" is classic rock and blues, and I do 90+% of my playing on electric guitars. As anyone who's read a few of my posts around here knows, I'm a "techie" by natural affinity, and enjoy fooling around with the hardware almost as much as playing with/through it.

I have no-zip-zilch formal training on guitar or music theory in general, and am essentially 100% self-taught, having picked up the guitar initially at the age of 15. At 56 years of age, I now regret this somewhat, because I realize how much it has limited my development as a guitarist over the years. On the plus side, God has blessed me with a pretty good ear, so I'm generally able to pick stuff up pretty quickly from hearing it. If I listen to and plunk away on something for awhile, I can usually pick it up pretty well, as long as it's not too fast/technically demanding.

I play almost exclusively for my own enjoyment. I've never played in a band or musical group, other than providing acoustic accompaniment for my old church youth group MANY moons ago. When I graduated from college in '73, got a job and finally had the money to buy my first electric guitar & amp (a used Fender Strat and Princeton Reverb, sold a couple of years later), I no longer had the spare time to devote to it, between work & other interests.

I continued to pick up my acoustic guitar occasionally until the early 80's and then pretty much got away from playing until the late 90's, when the itch to buy another Strat got the best of me. But things really took off about two years ago when I bought my Epiphone Elitist LP Standard and started playing on a nearly daily basis. Since then, I've acquired that list of stuff that you see in my forum signature below. GAS--wonderful for the soul, bad for the checking account! I've slowly but steadily improved the past two years, and can certainly play well enough to entertain and enjoy myself. My church (a pretty conservative Lutheran sect) has been talking about starting a new "contemporary" service that will employ guitars (acoustic and electric) as part of the music program, and I'm hoping to broaden my horizons by participating in that.

just strum
October 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I think you're right. We have some pretty good players here, but nobody seems to want to admit to it. We're pretty leery of "totem-polling" here at TheFret, I think.

If you've been to Robert's website, you know of his very considerable skills! But you might get a better idea of what some of the other guys can do by poking around in the Member Clips forum and listening to some of the posted clip links there. Listen & judge for yourself.

Well, it's not uncommon for people to understate their ability unless you are Terrel Owens.

I found my way here through Robert's site and probably was checking out the site for about two weeks before venturing over here. So when Robert is modest, it sort of becomes the scale of measurement. Although people were being modest, I think we got some good background info, I enjoyed reading them, including reading yours DVM.

I did check out the clips, that is actually how I got the idea for the thread. I noticed FrankAxtell's clips, but I don't recall seeing his posts anywhere else.

I also noticed there are at least a few that have a in-depth tech knowledge (at least compared to me) and that certainly is a plus for a forum. I know nothing about acoustics and when I started communicating with Dreadman, I began swapping out saddles, adjusting truss rods - the little things that are needed on acoustics as the seasons change. I have another thread I want to start pertaining to set-ups and I will probably do that in a couple of hours.

Oh DVM, I like the clip. I have to get myself set-up to record so I can have a record of progress. Probably going to be coming to you guys for recommendations.

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Just for future reference:

DVM = Duh Voodoo Man

DMV = Dept. of Motor Vehicles

I'd just as soon not be confused with the latter. I spent a month there one afternoon.... ;) :D

Spudman
October 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Oh DMV, I like the clip. I have to get myself set-up to record so I can have a record of progress. Probably going to be coming to you guys for recommendations.

Use 'search'. We've discussed quite a few options you might find useful. Do you want a stand alone recorder or to use your computer?

luvmyshiner
October 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Well, this is an easy question for me. I SUCK! But I don't care, I enjoy it. I play to release tension and relax, and I love it.:beer:

By the way GG, I loved that story. Tell the neighbors to keep listening.:D

just strum
October 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Just for future reference:

DVM = Duh Voodoo Man

DMV = Dept. of Motor Vehicles

I'd just as soon not be confused with the latter. I spent a month there one afternoon.... ;) :D

Sorry, if the name isn't taken would you consider using it so my post doesn't have such an obvious error?

I'll resond to your answer - "I didn't think so"

I guess I will edit.

just strum
October 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I can play "twinkle twinkle little star" in pretty much any key!

I can play Star-Spangled Banner and when I run it through my AD30VT, I guess I can do some Hendrix.:Dude:

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I guess I will edit.
Aw, you didn't have to do that! Like I said, "for future reference". But thanks! :AOK:

Sorry for being so anal. See what a career in quality assurance does to a person? :messedup: :D

P.S. If you want to do some home recording on the cheap, all you really need is a microphone, a PC with a mic input on the sound card, and THIS (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)....

just strum
October 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Aw, you didn't have to do that! Like I said, "for future reference". But thanks! :AOK:

Sorry for being so anal. See what a career in quality assurance does to a person? :messedup: :D

P.S. If you want to do some home recording on the cheap, all you really need is a microphone, a PC with a mic input on the sound card, and THIS (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/)....

I'm just as anal because once you pointed it out it would have bugged the ----- out of me knowing it was there.

I have Audacity on both my laptop and desktop. I need to get a better mic. It serves the purpose of monitoring progress, but some day I would like a decent set-up, but first I have to justify it by my level of talent and that leads us back to the subject and sorry to say I have a long way to go. However, despite the ruts and frustration, I still enjoy myself. Part of my desire is driven by the same thing as Shiner - escape from stress. Nothing is more of an escape and/or rewarding as getting into "the zone" and luckily that can happen at any level.

oldguy
October 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I don't think I'm the best, but I don't think I'm the worst. I started playing at 17 yrs. old, I'll be 53 next month. It's hard for me to "rate" myself. I love playing blues, so I guess I'm OK playing blues, because that's what I practice mostly, pentatonic scales and such. I'm not a fingerpicker, and wouldn't be much of a bach/rocker, or the next EVH. Does that make sense?
I suppose I'd judge my own skill level as "intermediate" as far as what I enjoy playing, but less than that as a well rounded musician.
Kinda like a good barbeque cook asked to prepare a quiche and broasted salmon off the cuff....
I'm not being a smartas$, that's just the best way I can descibe it....
When I'm playing blues and just let go and play, bending notes, slurs, deadening strings, crashing, banging, wringing all I can out of it, I get LOTS more feeling and emotion out of it, and that's when I feel I play best, not when I'm trying to "fit in", or going through the motions. It's a transcendental oneness thing....... (is that a word?)....oh well, hard to describe....
It might be easier to check out the collab. tunes, members clips, videos, etc., and let each decide what they enjoy most.
There's such a wealth of talent here, from jazz, rock, country, blues, etc., and live playing to polished studio recordings, that I'd be hard pressed to assess a skill level of one individual.
One thing for sure, though. We have fun!!!!! That's why it's called "playing"!!
Peace and love...:rotflmao: :beer: :Dude:
Oldguy

t_ross33
October 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM
One thing for sure, though. We have fun!!!!! That's why it's called "playing"!!
Peace and love...:rotflmao: :beer: :Dude:
Oldguy

+1 oldguy! As a matter of fact, I'm heading out the door in a few minutes to do just that - Buck's Bar and Grill Halloween Bash! Sounds like its gonna be b@lls to the wall and all a$$es and elbows! FUN STUFF!

Sorry guys, no KISS costumes this year. I'm going as a Rock Star this year :AOK::crazyguy:

See ya on the flipside!

Trev

just strum
October 26th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Sorry guys, no KISS costumes this year. I'm going as a Rock Star this year :AOK::crazyguy:

Trev

:rotflmao:

Spudman
October 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Trev

We are going to want pictures....again.:D

Katastrophe
October 27th, 2007, 02:49 AM
I'm 35, and have been making an effort at playing since about age 15. At the height of lessons and practicing multiple hours per day, I would have placed my abilities solidly in the intermediate camp. I knew a few speedy lead runs, could solo in just about any key up and down the neck, and had enough rhythm prowess to fake my way through a song or two. My knowledge of theory was enough to know the names of the modes and how they relate to each other. I could play the music I heard in my head, and that was about good enough for me.

These days, my technical skills have eroded somewhat. I don't play as fast or as loud as I used to. I'd like to think that my rhythm playing has improved. I'd still put myself in the intermediate range, but with different priorities.:D

Robert, you are WAY underestimating your lead abilities! :AOK:

ted s
October 27th, 2007, 08:51 AM
yes, if our benchmark players like Robert and others (you/we know who you are) are underestimating themselves then I'm in the negative.

kiteman
October 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM
It's kinda hard to grade myself but I found some old clips of my guitar playing years ago and I only can say I have improved some since then. I made some clips a while ago but this time I have some drums to play along with. Turned out that the drums has to be louder than me or I'll stray. Playing the guitar alone is no problem. Played with the neighbor who played drums and that was no problem. Drum machines do not have a tolerance.

I don't have very good ears and no imaginations hardly so I use the tabs but before the tabs came around I've read standard notations. Back in the late 60s and early 70s I played lead in a surf instrumental band (we were named The Brazen Men) til my stupid drummer died of alcohol poisoning.

Now I'm just a bedroom jammee with a drum machine. At least I'm having fun and I don't think my playing's too bad as some friends calls me and tells me to bring my guitar. :)

t_ross33
October 27th, 2007, 07:26 PM
As mentioned in a previous post, I had my first ever guitar lesson today. It was pretty cool. The local guitar teacher has me on a standby list if he has a cancellation or someone misses a class, so I have to jump in on short notice.

He's going to work on some theory, scales, leads/soloing with me which is just what I need. Ran through maj and min pentatonic scales in various positions on the fretboard, some cool little bends and worked a bit on tying them together. :AOK: I have some work ahead of me, but it's so much better having someone show me, in 3-D rather than trying to glean it from paper or a DVD.

My skill level may just ratchet up a notch! Look out world, Rawk Star in the making :beavisnbutthead: :rotflmao:

My teacher is a guitar player/vocalist/songwriter for THIS (http://www.wyattmusic.com)band.

Trev

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 07:31 PM
As mentioned in a previous post, I had my first ever guitar lesson today. It was pretty cool. The local guitar teacher has me on a standby list if he has a cancellation or someone misses a class, so I have to jump in on short notice.

He's going to work on some theory, scales, leads/soloing with me which is just what I need. Ran through maj and min pentatonic scales in various positions on the fretboard, some cool little bends and worked a bit on tying them together. :AOK: I have some work ahead of me, but it's so much better having someone show me, in 3-D rather than trying to glean it from paper or a DVD.

My skill level may just ratchet up a notch! Look out world, Rawk Star in the making :beavisnbutthead: :rotflmao:

My teacher is a guitar player/vocalist/songwriter for THIS (http://www.wyattmusic.com)band.

Trev

Trev,

Good for you. It would be interesting to get additional reports from you with feedback on how the lessons are going.

pytolk
October 27th, 2007, 10:27 PM
personally i think that im aabout intermediate...i know ALOT of theory i.e. scales, chords patterns keys anything that has to do with music, i probably know...but im slightly lacking in the playing department. ive been playing for about five years and between work, and the rest of my life i dont have nearly as much time as i would like to play.

Brian Krashpad
October 29th, 2007, 06:50 AM
I'm OK. Have been playing a long time and can do what I need to do both on rhythm and lead, but I'm more interested in doing original music (whether mine or my bandmates', depending on the band) than being a virtuosic guitarist.

I'm fairly decent at sitting in and faking and can pick up stuff or make up a part on the fly fairly well. Those are strengths. Weaknesses would be anything related to speed or special techniques like tapping or sweep picking, I simply have no interest in those things whatsoever.

Robert
October 29th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Well, I find it really difficult to determine my own skill level. I'm sure others can do that better than I can, since most of us are our own worst critic. Thanks all the comments, guys.

Justaguyin_nc
October 29th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Whats my level? Suck is a level!!!
I been playing a few years now.. I guess Beginner Plus?
I can do major and minor penatonics.. open chords.. have trouble with barr chords..
All I wanted to learn is easy 12 bar blues and some folk type playing of the usual 3 or 4 chords
in different keys when I started.. that make sense? So I can do that.. sometimes.. most the time
I still have major trouble with timing..
I am starting to keep up with recordings if they are not to hard...
I owe all I know to the internet..which isn't saying much if you hear me!! lol
I still don't play in front of people..but recording does not bother me!
I added Plus to Beginner because I am good at G.A.S. !! which is a major Plus!!
I enjoy buying stuff and figuring out why I did? haha

Latest song I am learning.. is Wilburys Handle me with care..
Which I suck at.. but I have fun with it all!!

Welp..I still have the fire to learn..and will continue..
inspite of no talent..lol

just strum
January 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I thought I would resurrect this since we have a number of new members.

I will also add a question - when do you feel a beginner can be classified/identified as and intermediate? There's no right answer, but maybe some comments of what an intermediate player should be able to do that a beginner most likely cannot.

I am clueless, so I offer - NOTHING

snarph
January 24th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Know what playing in key means be able to play most common chords/scales in a musical manner

sumitomo
January 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Hi,I would consider myself a beginner with a clue.I really need to play more rhythm with my g-dec(It helps my timing alot).I can string licks together but if I cant jump back in the song (play rhythm) that aint no good.P.S.reading all this good stuff on here has helped me to have one of my guitars in hand 10 times more.I only watch tv about 5 hrs a week now,spend more time with my daughter,so its a good thing.Sumi

jthoov
January 25th, 2008, 01:27 AM
i've been playing for about a year now..
but just playing... not really "learning" so im not that impressive..

maybe a bit under intermediate? :)

Vihar
January 25th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I'm good enough for myself to not wanting to stop playing and advancing.

Plank_Spanker
January 25th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I'm good enough to hold my own in most situations, and I'm confident in my abilities as a player.

But I'm pretty hard on myself...........................I'm nowhere near the player I want to be. I guess that is what keeps me happily spanking the plank. :D

Strengths? I have a good ear and I think my touch is pretty good.

Weaknesses? I get lazy and skip personal practice sometimes. I'm not a fast player by any means. My knowledge of music theory could fill a thimble.

All said, though, I'm pretty happy with where I am as a player.

On the Strum's beginner question:

I think you transition out of beginner level when you develop enough feel for it to start playing and working on your own - you start building your own foundation and finding your own direction.

Ro3b
January 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I think the beginner-to-intermediate shift happens when your focus becomes less about the mechanics of playing the instrument (how to hold the pick, how to finger a G chord, etc.) and more about what you play on it (learning songs, improvising over changes, etc.). At some point you spend more time thinking about playing music and less about playing guitar. IMHO.

LowEndWonder
January 29th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Semi-Pro, 10 years under my belt.

scgmhawk
January 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Intermediate. Been "playing" for 33 years with a 15 year hiatus which impacted my growth!

Kazz
January 29th, 2008, 02:16 PM
I suck therefore I am

Swampy
January 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Is there a level before novice/beginner?:poke:

kiteman
January 29th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Is there a level before novice/beginner?:poke:

Yea, a nobody. :)

just strum
January 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
ah, you guys are too hard on yourself.

Plank and Ro3b, interesting answers regarding the transition from beginner to intermediate.

kiteman
January 29th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Plank and Ro3b, interesting answers regarding the transition from beginner to intermediate.

Maybe they are but I'll bet y'all are having fun with the instruments. :)

I enjoy mine whenever I'm good or bad.

:rockon:

Plank_Spanker
January 30th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Thanks. Just my 2 pesos. :beer:

The fun factor is huge. As long as you're having fun, it's all good! :D

mark wein
January 31st, 2008, 11:37 AM
I read a few pages before giving up...this is a LONG thread!

I would consider myself an intermediate level professional player. I've been playing 23 years, went to college for guitar and make a living playing music.

I've played locally for many years but no real touring. I have indie recordings and I do work for a friend who writes TV music so I get a small amount of session work but I am not at "that level"....

Plank_Spanker
January 31st, 2008, 04:33 PM
I read a few pages before giving up...this is a LONG thread!

I would consider myself an intermediate level professional player. I've been playing 23 years, went to college for guitar and make a living playing music.

I've played locally for many years but no real touring. I have indie recordings and I do work for a friend who writes TV music so I get a small amount of session work but I am not at "that level"....

Mark,

You went to college for guitar and you make a living at it........................yet you consider yourself intermediate? Wow!

Your personal bar must be set fairly high!

It's great to have you, your experience, and your wisdom here. I'm sure that I can speak for the populace here when I say that we look forward to picking your brain from time to time. :D

mark wein
January 31st, 2008, 04:46 PM
Mark,

You went to college for guitar and you make a living at it........................yet you consider yourself intermediate? Wow!

It's great to have you, your experience, and your wisdom here. I'm sure that I can speak for the populace here when I say that we look forward to picking your brain from time to time. :D

There is alot I don't do very well...I do think I am a pretty good rock and blues player, though!

Plank_Spanker
January 31st, 2008, 04:52 PM
There is alot I don't do very well...I do think I am a pretty good rock and blues player, though!

OK.................that's better. :D

Everyone has their specialty.

just strum
February 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Mark,

I know, I saw that and thought 23 years and he considers himself an intermediate. I've been playing for about 20 months - just how long is this trip?

Oh, the humanity!

Brian Krashpad
February 1st, 2008, 09:29 PM
I know, I saw that and thought 23 years and he considers himself an intermediate. I've been playing for about 20 months - just how long is this trip?

Oh, the humanity!

Haha, could be worse. I've been playing for 37 years and without going back and reviewing any of Mark's stuff I can say without hesitation I'm sure he's a much much better player than I.

But, anybody that saw my side band show's webcast Wednesday night can probably vouch for the fact that I still manage to have a great time. ;)

just strum
February 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
...the fact that I still manage to have a great time. ;)

that's my first priority and so far, so good.

mark wein
February 1st, 2008, 10:51 PM

Oh, the humanity!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/2/1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

Heh...you made me think of this stupid picture....I always get a chuckle from it....:D

I think that we all (no matter where we are on the "guitar developmental ladder") end up feeling like we are in the middle of the journey...you get to the top of one hill and you can see the mountain on the other side....there are days when I am very happy with my playing and then I'll go to the NAMM show (like I did a week or two ago) and see 10 players who make you feel like packing it in...

a guy who did a little of this and a lot of inspiring this time around was Josh Smith...check him out here: http://www.myspace.com/joshsmithguitar

I heard him jamming with another guitarist in a booth at the show and he sounded like I've always wanted to play...

mark wein
February 1st, 2008, 10:52 PM
I still manage to have a great time. ;)

...and that is really the only good reason to play guitar!

:beer:

pie_man_25
February 3rd, 2008, 03:32 PM
...and that is really the only good reason to play guitar!

:beer:

+1, why did we start with music in the first place, or drama, or any arts for that matter, besause we needed something to do on our spare time, and we just developed it, at first it was just some dude with a stick, a gourd and twine and look at what it is now, a glorified 2x4 with a some wire (if you want to dumb it down really, that's what it is)

hazcat
February 13th, 2008, 01:01 AM
Yeah, dumbing it down, that's pretty much the level I'm at. I started playing in 1982. Started out with one term of beginning guitar class (where I learned words like "mixolydian," which I still remember but can no longer define, unless by some chance it has something to do with bartending). I do still know some basic chord theory, intervals and the like. Can't sight read at all. Learned the scales I use from Arlen Roth's column in Guitar Player. Wish I could break the habit of letting my hands find the same old patterns. This is what happens when you have no organized practice regimen.

I can play standard first position and E/A barre chords, movable chords like G-form, C7 form etc and a few oddball voicings I've picked up along the way. As I'm not a chord/melody player, this gets me by OK, but I still struggle with devising interesting rhythm parts (so, like, beyond power chording and shuffles). Leads...ehh. I can play short leads fairly fluidly, but have a hard time formulating longer statements. On the upside, I no longer feel the desire to play two-minute solos, although I like hearing them if they're good. Guess you could say I like to punctuate. I'm learning to play less.

To address strum's scale, guess I'd have to say struggling intermediate, keeping in mind that I think Robert is far beyond intermediate. With a slide, I play songs like Dark is the Night, Fred McDowell tunes and Leo Kottke's Broken Down Bicycle fairly passably, even though I am a sloppy fingerpicker. In standard tuning, I suck-diddly-uck, although I may not be quite as bad as I think I am. I can, however, play Pinball Wizard on the ukulele.

Jipes
February 13th, 2008, 04:18 AM
As for me I have minimal technique on the electric I use constantly the two pentatonic blues scales, I hardly know anything else. As for chords I can follow a jazz chart if there's not more than three chords per mesure :D :rotflmao:

As for slide also minimal technique a bit of damping and licks but rather rural :rotflmao:

For the picking that's maybe where I have more skills as I can play quite some intricate picking pattern but only the one I invent rather that trying to duplicate some artist stuff 'cause it's far too complicated for me (John Renbourn, Kelly Joe Phelps or Andy Mc Kee are good examples)

Jipes

birv2
February 23rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
I started playing about (wincing as I get ready to write this...) 40 years ago.

Took a long 20 year hiatus.

Just got back into it in the last 5 years, almost exclusively electric blues.

In the blues area, I would consider myself intermediate to moderately advanced intermediate (is that a real category?). I'm comfortable with pentatonic scales, am branching out to some other scales, but have a fairly good sense of timing and a lot of heart. Even getting some compliments when playing out at jams!

Of course, if I compare myself to Robert and some others, I feel very "lower intermediate". But I'm making progress a little bit at a time and having fun in the process. I'm not scared anymore to get up at a blues jam and don't panic when someone nods at me to take a solo, like I used to.

It's a never-ending journey, which is either maddening or lots of fun, depending on my mood that day!
:dude:

Bob

strumsalot
February 23rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I guess I'm somewhere between really sucks and just bad. I'm OK with that, because when I play, the stress and cares of this world disappear for a while. Scales...what are those?:confused:

One day I'd like to play the music in my head without thinking about it.:rockon:

KrisH
February 23rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
It depends on which instrument I'm using. Electric bass is and has always been my main instrument, and I'd guess I'm somewhere at an advanced-intermediate/pro level. I'm fairly good at sight reading, even though I haven't really needed to do it for decades, and know my fretboard over all three octaves. (ok, the last fret on the G string only plays e-flat, but if I bend that note just right . . .). Anyway, I played professionally full and part time for 22 years -- and then set it aside for almost a decade. A funny thing: when the slap-and-pop technique started becoming popular in the mid-80s or so, I struggled with it. When I picked up the instrument again, it has come so much easier. (Maybe sobriety has something to do with that??) And because I spent so much time playing pop/top 40 music, I missed out on what many of the bass virtuosoes were doing -- like soloing with taps and harmonics. So I still have lots to learn, but I feel confident enough in my ability that I could hold my own with most other bassists out there. On the upright bass it's less so, simply because I came back to that instrument after a much longer hiatus.

The guitar is different, maybe an advanced beginner. I don't know the fretboard as well -- that B string throws me often. I know lots of alternate chord fingerings, but not much in the way of theory. I couldn't tell a "mixolydian" from a "mxyzptlk." My breakthrough moment was when I learned pattern picking on the acoustic. I can play and sing songs like Alice's Restaurant, Blackbird, some Jethro Tull acoustic tunes, lots of Niel Young, Beatles etc. But I don't yet feel good enough to play them out, even at an open mic. My confidence in my guitar playing ability is not at the same level as my bass playing.

And on the fiddle? Rank beginner!!! I can play a few tunes, but I'm mainly working on how to keep it from sounding like a catfight!

street music
February 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
I still consider myself in a beginner stage, I can play some slow stuff if I have the tab close by. I can play several riffs, and many chords. My best is playing the blues . I won't consider myself intermediate until I can play up to speed on a fast rock song. I try to keep it fun and switch from one guitar to another just to vary the whole practice.

Cal
February 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
Great thread Strummy... and lots of good info about existing Fretters for us newbs, thanks. :AOK:

About a month ago, my neighbor saw me doing some yard work outside and came over to talk to me. She asked me if I was learning to play the electric guitar .... guess my amp was louder than I thought :eek:

She went on to say that she has noticed my recent playing was better than when I first started......:puke:

So I guess my skill level is somewhere between not having the neighbors call the cops for disturbing the peace and having someone who does not play guitar being able to recognize that I am playing the guitar and not torturing my cats......:DR GG, I just love that post, thanks. :D

Speaking personally, I reckon I'm on about the second rung of the beginner's ladder.
Thing is, when I look skyward I can't actually see the END of that ladder. :rolleyes:
But never mind, I AM moving upward and I AM enjoying it. :)

Happy playing everyone!

mrmudcat
February 23rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
Always learning..............the road goes on forever..............:cool:

PAPPY
February 26th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Man it's lonesome down here in the bottom of this pit all alone.

piebaldpython
February 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Hey PAPPY, I'm right down with ya brother!! :bravo: I know different ways of doing major/minor/seventh chords, strumming patterns, where a decent amount of notes are. I just lack the time I need to PRACTICE to get better!! So, like my golf game, I can keep IT in play, just way more strokes than I want. The GOOD thing is that I realize the reason that I'm not better is TIME.

serries 10
March 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
im also so in the middle. I've been wanting to learn a metal scale

JJ Gross
March 4th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Hard question to answer.
If you say you're good, people thing you're full of yourself.
Say you suck and many people believe you.

You decide:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=324570055
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=805504
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dirty+ernie+band

Cheers,
- JJ

just strum
April 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM
Now that I'm taking lessons I started thinking maybe I could answer this differently. Although the lessons have had good results and I'm better than I was when I started the thread, I'm not sure where I am at on the road that I travel. Maybe a new category - Improved Beginner.

Maybe I will let down my macho image and pull over at a GAS station and find out where I am.:D

mark wein
April 14th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Maybe I will let down my macho image and pull over at a GAS station and find out where I am.:D

:D

warren0728
April 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
hey strum...glad you revived this thread....lots of new members here that i think will enjoy reading this thread (and adding to it).

i'll believe that macho bit when i see it!! :rotflmao:

i agree that now that i am taking lessons i think my skill level is going to increase. i have a lesson tomorrow and i am going to talk to my instructor because i think he assumes i am better than i am. we have been working mainly on scales and improvisation (which i told him i wanted to learn) but i think i want to back up and also work on chord progressions and such in different keys so maybe i can lay down some rhtym tracks and then improvise leads over them.

I chose samba pa ti by santana as my first lead song to learn and it is definitely harder than i thought!!

so right now i am a learning beginner!

ww :greenguitar:

peachhead
April 14th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Wow, this has been an interesting read. No wonder I like it here so much- so much knowledge in one place is a rare find. And yes, I do think y'all are too hard on yourselves for the most part- I've listened to a lot of clips and have enjoyed them immensely.

I've only been doing this for several months, lessons for the last month (and already on my 2nd instructor :confused: ) but I think the potential is there. Scales are coming along nicely. I believe I have a good ear and good timing and that helps. I just have a couple of songs I'm learning (Melissa and the old standby, Heart of Gold) but they are getting better each time I practice. I think my biggest weakness is impatience with myself, wanting to be better than I am and realizing that it takes practice and time.

All of y'all are a lot more inspiration than you think you are to me and, I'm sure, to a lot of others here. Keep it up! :AOK:

pes_laul
April 14th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Lately I have been teaching my two friends how to play and I think I have become better while teaching them.

Algonquin
April 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM
OK, maybe stretching it a bit, but I'd probably classify myself as an intermediate recreational player. Anything I play that sounds remotely good requires a lot of repetitive practice. Like anything in this world, you get out what you put into something. I truly love playing guitar (again), and I appreciate the support and inspiration that comes from a site like this one.

I've been writing a few riffs and jingles lately that I'd like to record as songs... nothing elaborate, but something I'd like to post anyway.

Cheers,

hubberjub
April 14th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I'm really not much of a guitar player. I just enjoy it. I feel that I reached my peak when I was in high school. Now I just play for fun. That is all that's important.

Carlström
April 15th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I'm somewhere around moderate/ok when it comes to rythm guitar and acoustic stuff. lead guitar i'm not very good but i can play lead without sounding bad....i just don't sound good either

Ger the man
April 15th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I suppose im at the intermediate stage, I did a bit of playing years ago and returned last year. I havent the slightest idea how to read music (is it worth learning?) and read entirely from tab \ video instruction, to be honest I'd be lost without it. Im learning the pentatonic scale right now and find it very helpful when attempting a solo.

Squireman131
April 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM
id think im intermediate on both bass and guitar... though im a ton better at baass (4 more years of playing that) i haven't picked up my bass at home for a couple months... weird. i can play alot of coheed and cambria songs on both bass and rythm guitar. the rhythm guitar inst that advanced but i think the bass is pretty tricky and took me a couple months of practice to get the hang of. i just learned about 5 or 6 metallica songs this month.i play bass in my high schools jazz band so that gives me some practice time to practice blues, latin, and rock.

jbviper4
April 23rd, 2008, 08:30 AM
I have been "playing" since 1975 with a LONG layoff through the career building years, newlywed years and kids in diapers phase....:thwap:

I am beginner - intermediate on the acoustic. Very modest fingerpicking skills, but like Guitar George...I know all the chords. I can sit in and figure something out with more accomplished players. Still can't sing and play at a level that goes much higher than a campfire party.

As for electric play, I am a n00b lead player (but practicing all the time and improving dramatically these days) and ok at rythym guitar. I know a ton of tunes. I am still feeling my way through the best use of effects and my amp too. But its fun and i play almost every day - very tolerant wife!:AOK:

tremoloman
April 26th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I'd best describe myself as a "hack" of all trades. Nothing great, nothing fancy, just dabbles of styles from here and there. My attention deficit disorder keeps me from focusing on just one particular style which I find both a blessing and a curse.

I just try to play to the best of my abilities and work daily to improve my skill.

I set my sights high and I've got a long, long, LONG way to go before I'd ever call myself an accomplished musician.

tot_Ou_tard
April 27th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I think the beginner-to-intermediate shift happens when your focus becomes less about the mechanics of playing the instrument (how to hold the pick, how to finger a G chord, etc.) and more about what you play on it (learning songs, improvising over changes, etc.). At some point you spend more time thinking about playing music and less about playing guitar. IMHO.
I have always wondered when one could consider oneself an intermediate.

I like your definition. I'd say I'm a beginner with a toe or two through the intermediate doorway.

dws
April 28th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hm..my skill level? I know quite a few scales and chords, and have been in jam sessions without sounding horrendous.

My goal is to become as good of a soloist as I can be, I suppose, to the point where the girls fall at my feet...*wakes up from the daydream*.

I happen to think peoples' guitar skill is irrelevant so long as he/she enjoys it. Look at a community like this...while not everybody is a guitar virtuoso, we all love to talk about the instrument and all that goes along with it, and to me, that's a very good thing that should continue to be enjoyed by all.

Blaze
April 29th, 2008, 06:49 AM
I d say , i'm intermediate + , let say ,maybe versatile, playin all kind of music.
The soul is much more important to me than the technic but i like to learn new licks and tricks to improve and to get out of my owne patterns and clichés..

Blazes:D