PDA

View Full Version : Finally!!

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM
You know how you get a particular tone in your head that you want to reproduce? You can clearly hear it in your imagination, but the trick is actually finding how to produce it--especially if you're unable or unwilling to acquire the equipment it was originally created on! Well, the one I've been seeking for the better part of two years is what I'd describe as that quintessential late 60's to 70's LP-through-a-vintage-Marshall tone. A fat, rich, throaty roar with plenty of bottom-end presence, thick mids, and just enough treble to balance/fill out the sound but not dominate it or sound harsh.

Well, I've finally found it or at least gotten close enough to satisfy my needs. I've gotten in the ballpark before, between my Epi Elitist LP Std and various combinations of my amps & pedals, but not quite there. Recently, two factors came together to finally put me over the top on achieving this elusive tone:

I finally changed the bridge pickup in my LP from the Duncan Pearly Gates I'd had in there from early 2006 to a Duncan Custom Five that I snagged on eBay a couple months back. The PG was just a little too bright and top-end heavy for my personal taste, at least in this particular guitar. This surprised me a bit, because LP's aren't usually noted for their brightness, but this guitar seems to accentuate that portion of the tonal spectrum. The Custom Five is known for having more bottom-to-mid emphasis. It's quite a bit hotter overall than the PG (14.4K vs. 8.4) so it distorts sooner, too. While not quite as articulate on the highs as the PG was, the overall tonal balance of this pickup matches up better with what I was seeking. Haven't decided yet what I'll do with the PG, which is an excellent pickup but just not quite what I wanted.

The final ingredient was the Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor Plus distortion pedal that I recently acquired. It pumps out that fat distortion that vintage Marshall amps are known for, and its unique (at least in my experience) "deep" control accentuates the whole bottom end, much like the "loudness" button did on old stereo amps. This just seems to match perfectly with the character of that Custom Five pickup to deliver the classic overdriven rock tone I was seeking.
With my Vox AD30VT, I've been using this combo with the Tweed 4x10 (Fender Bassman) model to get what IMO is just about the perfect vintage LP tone. I end up grinning from ear to ear every time I've played with it. Since the Tweed 4x10 model tends to be a little dark/bassy sounding, I turn the treble up to about 3 o'clock, the mids to about 1:30 and the bass to 12 noon. Dial in some reverb and just enough delay to fill out the sound, and it's a little slice of sonic heaven right here on earth! If I want a little brighter version, I just switch to the Black 2x12 (Fender Twin) model. I really haven't played around much with the UK '70s (Marshall Plexi) model yet, even though this would seem to be the logical one to use for the sound I've been seeking. The little bit I tried with it sounded overly bassy and muddy, but I can probably compensate by backing off the gain some and playing with the amp's tone stack.

This combo sounds great with my Peavey Delta Blues, too, though I haven't played with it much yet, because it's SO freakin' loud! I just haven't been able to roll down the volume on the amp and the gain & level on the Guv'nor to a point where the overall volume level is reasonable but I still maintain that great vintage LP-through-a-Marshall tone. So I'll have to wait until I have the first floor of the house to myself....which coincidentally happens tomorrow when my wife & daughter are out of the house for most of the day. Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha..... :Dude: :DR

Spudman
October 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Clips? :)

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Clips? :)
Now, why did I know that was coming next?? :)

Prolly get one up this weekend.... :DR

sunvalleylaw
October 26th, 2007, 02:21 PM
This combo sounds great with my Peavey Delta Blues, too, though I haven't played with it much yet, because it's SO freakin' loud! I just haven't been able to roll down the volume on the amp and the gain & level on the Guv'nor to a point where the overall volume level is reasonable but I still maintain that great vintage LP-through-a-Marshall tone. So I'll have to wait until I have the first floor of the house to myself....which coincidentally happens tomorrow when my wife & daughter are out of the house for most of the day. Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha..... :Dude: :DR

Nice report Sir Vood! Makes that pedal sound even more appealling! Might have to be a Christmas list item. 'Bout that amp, I am amazed at how my smaller cousin to yours, the C-30 takes the Toneport patches through the effects loop. That amph sure can put out some different tones with that help. I would love to hear how you like that combo. Clips would be nice! :Dude:

SuperSwede
October 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM
14.4k? thats pretty hot... what pup do you have in the neck position?

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 02:59 PM
A Duncan '59 (7.4K).

SuperSwede
October 26th, 2007, 03:01 PM
A Duncan '59 (7.4K).

Not much differance in volume between them? I´m thinking about replacing my neck pup (jazz) but I want something that still can keep up with a JB. The ´59 looks like a good choice. Do you have any clean clips?

(sorry for hijacking the thread ;) )

duhvoodooman
October 26th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Not much differance in volume between them? I´m thinking about replacing my neck pup (jazz) but I want something that still can keep up with a JB. The ´59 looks like a good choice.
Not too bad; nothing you can't control easily enough by rolling off the bridge volume a bit. The '59 should be able to hold its own against the JB. Keep in mind that Duncan's most popular humbucker set (and Seymour's stated favorite) is the SH-2 Jazz with the SH-4 JB. And the SH-2 is 7.7K, very comparable to the '59.

Do you have any clean clips?
Clean?? Whazzat?? ;) Actually, I'm not sure I do, but I'll look. When I want clean, I almost always pick up the Strat or the Tele. Humbuckers are for dishin' the dirt, in my book!

250Keith
October 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Nice write up Voodoo, I have only had humbucker guitars, I have been getting some of those great tones with with my Blues 30 on the 15watt side the clean channel and the Monkey with the gain turned down all the way, the selector on the guitar in the middle, for some reason the Monkey brings out the bass and mids.

marnold
October 27th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Nice write up Voodoo, I have only had humbucker guitars, I have been getting some of those great tones with with my Blues 30 on the 15watt side the clean channel and the Monkey with the gain turned down all the way, the selector on the guitar in the middle, for some reason the Monkey brings out the bass and mids.
I've never used a Bad Monkey, but if it's like most Tube Screamer clones, there is a definite mid-range boost. Either you love it (as I do) or you hate it. That's probably why I'm having issues with my TO800 and my Floyd. The single coils on the guitar are more mid-rangey than is typical for single coils. Double boosted makes for some muddy situations.

duhvoodooman
October 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Okey-doke, here's a link to a clip I recorded demo'ing the sound I'm talking about. It's recorded using Audacity by mic'ing my AD30VT from about a foot away. I used my Epi Elitist LP into the UK'70s amp model (a Marshall Plexi emulation) which sounded pretty good to me after I fiddled with the tone stack so that it wasn't too bassy. The recording sounds a bit muddier on the bottom than it sounded "in person", but it gets the idea across, I think.

I started out by playing a few notes in a fairly clean mode, first on the bridge pickup and then on the neck, just to give an idea of the basic tone of the guitar with this amp model. The rest of the clip uses the Duncan Custom Five bridge pickup along with the Marshall Guv'nor 2 pedal with its gain up around 2 o'clock. Other effects are some amp reverb and a touch of delay from my Digidelay pedal. Included is some noodling of my own along with snatches of some of my favorite classic rock tunes to play with this tone setup.

http://www.box.net/shared/tsdb3ohjk0

250Keith
October 27th, 2007, 03:49 PM
That sounded real good, I love the sound of LPs, I am just itching to get a Epi Elitist, :beer:

SuperSwede
October 28th, 2007, 01:24 AM
Sweet sounds DVM! Thanks for the clip.

sunvalleylaw
October 28th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Nice sounds! I enjoy hearing your playing too!

mrmudcat
October 28th, 2007, 03:40 PM
I would be interested in the pup if ya sell it.:AOK:

Tone2TheBone
October 29th, 2007, 09:05 AM
I been tellin' ya....haven't I been tellin' ya I been tellin' ya for years. ;) Glad you got your Guv'nor Plus Voo you sound slamming now! Welcome to the club!

duhvoodooman
October 29th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I been tellin' ya....haven't I been tellin' ya I been tellin' ya for years. ;) Glad you got your Guv'nor Plus Voo you sound slamming now! Welcome to the club!
Well, I don't know about the "for years" part, since I've only been here since early '06, but there's no denying you were right about the Guv'nor Plus! The closest thing I've found to a "Marshall-stack-in-a-pedal"! :DR