PDA

View Full Version : Time for a bone saddle

navvid
October 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
My success with the bone nut I made has encouraged me to try my hand at a compensated saddle for my fender dreadnaught. I am using the original as a template again, and the same techniques I used for the nut. I should have probably taken some before recordings of the guitar for comparison, but I forgot to. Another thought I had too late was to check the intonation before removing the strings to replace the nut, so I could fine tune the saddle positions from the original. Now I guess I will have to adjust it the next time I do a set up, if at all.

Guitar Gal
October 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM
I think you will be very pleased with the tonal changes after installing a bone saddle navvid. The notes just seem to ring out more and come alive. I have bone saddles on all my acoustics.

:DR

GG

luvmyshiner
October 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I ditto GG's post navvid. You won't be disappointed.

navvid
October 28th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Cut shaped and installed it. Initial impressions are, surprisingly, not that different. Definitely more treble. I also slightly lowered the action at the bridge on my 1st and 2nd strings and slightly raised my 6th, further compensated the saddle positions a bit. These things aside, I am not sure how my tone was effected over all. Maybe I was expecting such a change that I would have inevitably been disappointed. I will reserve further judgment until I play it and listen a little more. Will try to some pics and a sound clip soon.