PDA

View Full Version : Locking tuners

navvid
October 26th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I have been thinking of getting some locking tuners for my Strat. It seems there are only two choices: Sperzel, and Schaller. Although Fender uses Schallers on its delux models, the guys I have talked to all recommended Sperzel. Does anybody have anything to say about these or other tuners? Also, what about their effect on tone? I have one friend who says his Sperzels added sustain and low end fattyness. Can anyone confirm this? Any other experiences with Upgraded tuners, good or bad?

navvid
October 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Anybody? Any opinions?

Dreadman
October 27th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I've got Schaller lockers on my Strat and I love them. They hold perfectly and couldn't be easier to use. I've never used the Sperzels but I'd figure they're more or less the same.

I don't know how tuners could affect tone though, unless they weighed a pound each. If you do switch, do it for the convenience.

Spudman
October 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I have a set of Sperzels and have been unimpressed with them. I would suggest the Shallers. German engineering ya know.

Ro3b
October 27th, 2007, 07:22 PM
I kinda dig the design of the Wilkinsons, myself. No extra moving parts, just an extra hole in the post so you can run the string through twice.

LagrangeCalvert
October 27th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I put sperzels on EVERY guitar I own...IMHO there THE way to go...the Deluxe strats with the locking tuners standard are also very nice.....

Ro3b....where can I get some information on these Tuners of yours?...Im gonna google it but if you could tell me how they are/give a review?

Plank_Spanker
October 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Schallers on my Strats with no complaints.

Robert
October 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I'll look into gold plated locking Schallers for my Strat, just to keep the hardware uniform on my Deluxe Players Strat.