PDA

View Full Version : SX Real Parts dont fit

chordshredder
October 27th, 2007, 07:37 AM
I got a real Fender Black Pickguard for my SX 62 sunburst. The SX guitar neck rout is 3/16 farther into the body than that of the real fender pickguard. Now Im thinking this is the reason the inntonation has always bottomed the bridge pieces against the trem plate back. Not sure what I want to modify, but it is off quite a bit.
If I take the neck off it, may not be able to fill and redrill the neck mount holes that much closer to the edge end of the neck. Then I would have to fill in the gap in the body. Put the pickguard down on a real fender it fits fine as frog hair.

Anybody got info why this is so off?

snarph
October 27th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I got a real Fender Black Pickguard for my SX 62 sunburst. The SX guitar neck rout is 3/16 farther into the body than that of the real fender pickguard. Now Im thinking this is the reason the inntonation has always bottomed the bridge pieces against the trem plate back. Not sure what I want to modify, but it is off quite a bit.
If I take the neck off it, may not be able to fill and redrill the neck mount holes that much closer to the edge end of the neck. Then I would have to fill in the gap in the body. Put the pickguard down on a real fender it fits fine as frog hair.

Anybody got info why this is so off?

I had to modify all four of mine but if thats the way you want it to fit you got to .

As far as refitting the neck its got to be the right scale length from nut to bridge so you better think that one through IMHO leave it like it is at least the neck unless you fitting a new neck to it

TS808
October 28th, 2007, 02:06 PM
With a number of import guitars, American Fender pickguards rarely fit. I had an SX bass that I wanted to change the pickguard on, so I got a Fender P bass guard...forget it...it wasn't even close. It always takes some modification to the pickguard itself. Just my opinion, but if you get into changing the position of the neck (and I agree with the last post..it will affect the scale length)...it isn't worth the effort. Even with my SX LP copy, a Gibson LP pickguard didn't fit.

chordshredder
October 29th, 2007, 11:08 AM
I agree the easiest wayout is to hog out the neck route in the pickguard. And also that making the neck seat 3/16 out farther is a lot of work. Since the saddles are adjustable that would get the low E and G further from the backplate of the tremelo, when inntonated. I had to take out the little springs as they were too compressed. I guess I should pull the neck off and look at the amount of wood I have to work with. Would be nice if I could install some inserts rather than fill and redrill. Thanks for the replies! If I go crazy with it, will post the results.

tremoloman
October 30th, 2007, 04:23 PM
A Fender MIM bridge fits perfectly on the SXs I own. Most of the time though its a lot of work to make things fit a Squier or other off-shore brand.

chordshredder
October 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Well Thats a good thing. The trem plate for an SX is off enough on the whammy bar hole when you try to put a callaham block under it you would have to route it out about half a hole. Everything else lined up ok.

Is the MIM plate steel or pot metal?