PDA

View Full Version : No. 1 Song...Spinoff

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I didn't want to take the original thread too far off track, but I think there was a good observation that was starting to be made. So many of the songs that were listed were released by obscure artists or "one hit wonders". Very few of the hits or artist were able to survive the hands of time. You don't see documentaries of their life and their contributions as you do with some of the other groups and artists.

Most "pop" stars are not long term notables. One exception that is obvious is the Beatles. However, had they not been experimental and broke away from "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand", they too would probably be no more then a small blip on the radar screen.

Today when people talk about "the great ones" often it includes those that never had hits. Jimi Hendrix is the first one that comes to mind and then there is Janis Joplin, Cream, Canned Heat....

When I was growing up, the rise of FM radio changed the music industry. No longer restricted to the 2.5 minute song, an array of great and not so great music was unleashed. Most of that music would not pop up on ANY top hit chart, yet much of it can be found on the net and places like The Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame. Much of it can be considered important to the time when they were released and important as an influence of music that would follow.

Unfortunately novelty songs reach the hit list, but the obscure stuff doesn't always get noticed until the group is long gone or the artist is no longer with us.

Google Jimi Hendrix - not bad for a guy who never really had a "hit" song