PDA

View Full Version : Tacoma: Unsung, Underrated and Undone by Fender

wingsdad
October 27th, 2007, 10:56 AM
A week ago, in another thread under 'Fender', YerDugliness looked for feedback from anyone about Tacoma acoustics. With no other replies than mine in a week, I've edited it, reorganized it, added to it and moved it here.

While it may seem strange to stop making really good guitars, Fender bought the struggling Tacoma company in '05 with the ulterior motive to move production of Guild acoustics to the Tacoma factory from their Corona, CA plant where they’d been making them since FMIC acquired Guild in ’95 and closed the Westerly, RI Guild factory). Since Tacomas own traditional 'roundhole models' were/are not only fine quality all solid woods since 2001 and had been generally list priced several hundred dollars lower than Guilds, they killed most of those Tacs to switch Tacomas wood resources, luthiers and factory time & equipment (lots of CNC technology for consistency in parts) to making Guilds and not compete with themselves. They've cross-trained personnel to handle production of both lines.

Tacoma was originally a wood company and only got into making guitars in the mid-90's. They started with the Papoose, a little 6-string thing tuned to A. Distinctive in Tacoma's original designs, now known as their 'Wing Series' is their paisley-shaped soundhole, offset on the upper bout, similiar to McPherson's, both of which on the same principle as Ovation's Adamas designs: with no big hole in the middle of the top allowing more top surface to vibrate freely, and top bracings designed accordingly. Early on, they made 'traditional' guitars under contract for Washburn. That stopped and they focused on making their own besides their Wings series. They also contracted with a plant in the Orient (china?) to make Olympia's, their 'budget-priced' alternatives like Epiphone is to Gibson.

Tacoma's roundholer necks are bolt-on from inside, similar to Taylors. If ever they'd need a neck reset, this makes life less miserable. Their Wing Series axes bolt on from the outside.

Tacoma had some serious issues with finish bubbling and peeling on their guitars in the later 90's and apparently got all that resolved by '01. But the damage had been done to their reputation, and they did virtually no marketing or PR to overcome the stigma, since they really had no budget to do so with their underpricing leaving them no margin to invest in it. So the brand remained fairly anonymous and still does, outgunned by marketing bigshots like Taylor.

Last August, I traded in an '04 Washburn EA20SDL (fyi, 'Washouts': I got $500 for it) to get this bomber for 50% of its $2,382 List price. This was the first Tacoma I finally had the resources & nerve to buy, and it hooked me:

'05 JK28C...jumbo, solid Koa b/s, Sitka Spruce top, mahogany neck, ebony board & bridge, tortoise bindings, Tusq nut & saddle, ebony bridgepins. Fishman PrefixPlus Preamp w/ UST. Gotoh tuners. 1.625" nut... alot less 'bling' than the 55 series, but man...how that koa changes with the light...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Tacoma%20JK28C/JK28closesm.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Tacoma%20JK28C/IMG_3015cmed.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Tacoma%20JK28C/JK28Cchairbak2.jpg

Two months later, I traded in a Seagul/Godin SA-12 toward an ‘01 DR16C solid rosewood & spruce cutaway dread with a Tacoma/LR Baggs pre-amp/UST that had been traded in by a guy to get a new Tacoma DR28. An outstanding guitar,and I'd still have it, if I hadn't traded it's $900 value this past April to get this outrageous guitar for 50% off it's $2,399 List Price, thanks to Fender clearing its warehouse:

'06 DR55...dread, rosewood b/s (3-piece back) Englemann Spruce top, mahogany neck, koa bindings, ebony board & bridge, abalone edge & fret marker inlays & rosette. Tusq nut & saddle, ebony bridgepins. LR Baggs Miratone preamp/UST. Gotoh tuners. 1.75" nut:
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Tacoma%20DR55/IMG_4791.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Tacoma%20DR55/DR55Back1.jpghttp://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/wingsdad/Tacoma%20DR55/DR55Head.jpg

The dealer I’ve bought my Tacomas from has really done quite nicely with Tacoma over the years. He’s taken several Taylor 300, 400 & 600 series guitars in on trade-ins toward Tacomas.

That not only indicates that at least the players who made those trades found Tacomas to be superior to their Taylors, but the dealer got to resell the Taylors to the other Taylor-hounds who enjoy their fabled clear & bright tone, thanks to their incredibly fragile & susceptible to low-humidity thinner-than-typical-tops. Essentially, their own Mr. T says 'Pity da fool', as Taylor makes a big deal of the importance to be sure to religiously keep their guitars properly humidified, with a warranty carefully peppered with appropriate legalese.

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Wingsdad,

That is a nice summary of history that you put together and certainly some nice photos of the collection. I know from several discussions with you that the Tacoma is very high on your list. Although by no means is it priced on the low end spectrum, but based on what you've written they remain a good bang for the buck. Based on the guitars you traded/sold in order to get the Tacoma's it is obvious that they are a very good guitar
($500 for the EA20SDL - see Shiner you got a hell of a deal).

In order for me to acquire one I would have to go back into a selling mode and with the exception of the G400, nothing else has a price tag on it.

Your post certainly does give cause for GAS. Don't know whether to thank you or give my wife your phone number so she can yell at you.:reallymad:

Your post should attract some activity in this neglected acoustic section.

wingsdad
October 27th, 2007, 11:59 AM
My Tacomas (can you hear The Knack?)... are certainly not 'low-end', but are examples of how stupidly low-priced the top-of-the line DR55 was, even at list price, for what it is, compared to at least 2 similar 'high-end' guitars I've heard it compared to - a Taylor 914 & a Martin D-35 - and the 28 Series likewise. Tacoma's 9 & 14 series guitars are similar to Taylor 300 & 400 series in level of finish, with several in satin rather than gloss finish.

I forgot to inlcude this link to the Tacoma website. It's not been very well updated by Fender. Fender or Guild website visitiors will notice the similarity in the website format and how specs are displayed. But it does show what they currently make, and i the 'Resources' tab section, there's a link to the most current Price list, and a link to the 2005 Catalog in pdf format that was Tacoma's 'Last Hurrah' of its 'roundholers', as well as showing the surviving Wing Series guitars and their design & production features, prior to selling out to Fender.

http://www.tacomaguitars.com/home.php

Now that Fender's stopped producing these 'traditional model' instruments, except for their 'Little Jumbo' cutaway models, EM9C, EM14C & EM28C, there's still some NOS out on the market at closeout pricing at Tacoma dealers, and used ones show up on SleazeBay, but better yet, at Elderly Instruments. I would advise caution on Tacomas built from '98-2000, because of the potential bad finish issues I described.

Also, I just want to clarify that in my post, I don't mean to 'slam' Taylors, per se, nor offend any Taylor owners out there. If I have, I apologize, upfront. They're fine guitars. But it's my opinion, albeit somewhat biased, perhaps cynical, coming from one who makes his living these days in sales & marketing, that they may be somewhat overrated due to their brilliant marketing.

just strum
October 27th, 2007, 12:15 PM
My Tacomas (can you hear The Knack?)...

Little slow today, it took me a few extra seconds to get that one.

Also, I just want to clarify that in my post, I don't mean to 'slam' Taylors, per se, nor offend any Taylor owners out there. If I have, I apologize, upfront. They're fine guitars. But it's my opinion, albeit somewhat biased, perhaps cynical, coming from one who makes his living these days in sales & marketing, that they may be somewhat overrated due to their brilliant marketing.

and/or over priced, but that can be said by more than just one or two makes of guitars. It rubs me the wrong way when there is added cost to buy a name. I wouldn't slam the other makes either, but when they add to their cost because of the nameplate, it just places them out of reach of some buyers - but that's how the market place works.

Torps
February 20th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I guess my Tacoma DM16ce was produced during the bad yrs? I thought it was my fault the gloss finish was separating from the wood. Honestly, was too busy playing the d@mn thing to care. The sound is so sweet.

Would it be a bad idea to peel off the gloss finish and make it a satin finish? The top is fine, just the edges show some bubbling. Could it be refinished?

wingsdad
February 20th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Would it be a bad idea to peel off the gloss finish and make it a satin finish? The top is fine, just the edges show some bubbling. Could it be refinished?
Torps,
If you're the original owner & still have your receipt, Fender is still honoring the warrantee, and will refinish it. They send it to Nashville, and it can take up to 6 months, but it will be better than new when it's done. Contact Customer support.

Torps
February 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Not the original owner:thwap:

wingsdad
February 21st, 2008, 09:32 PM
If it's just around the bindings, Torps, it might just stop there. Give it time. But if the blistering has crept onto the back or top, consider checking out a good luthier. From what I've seen at the Tacoma UG forum, those that have been refinished by Fender come back with a thinner finish than the original. That was part of Tacoma's problem back then. Too heavy.

spt
February 21st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Hey Wingsdad, if you ever come across a site or blog describing the stripping procedure, I'd be very interested. I have this problem on a guitar.

wingsdad
February 22nd, 2008, 09:09 AM
Ess Pi Tee-
It's independent of the company, but here's where you'll find whatever you need to know, all things Tacoma, from Tacoma Devotees. The Forum Admin, Mo, has refinished one of his own. The thread where he diaried the process with pics may have gotten blown away as the forum had to change its hosting spot a couple of months ago, but just ask, and Mo may repost it if he hasn't already.
Tacoma Guitar Forum (http://www.tacomaguitarforum.com/)

spt
February 22nd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the link, wingsdad.
I went ahead and posted a question under Mo's refinishing thread, which is already very helpful. I would NEVER have thought of using a heatgun. Now that I know, I'm still scared but I'll do it if I get a few questions answered over there.
BTW, I never fail to get a kick every time I see that Koa back on your JK... Still looking for a used one I can afford too.

wingsdad
February 23rd, 2008, 01:08 AM
Well, all right, spt...glad to help with that, because the DM16C is a fine, fine guitar (as Tacomas tend to be...).

The Koa on my JK28C is truly crazy. Gorgeously wild grain. If I managed to show with my lame-o photos how different lighting changes its appearance, I can only say that photos really don't show the best of it... up close and 'live', it does all sorts of silly stuff with just the slightest of angle changes.

Hang in there...one may turn up. Especailly if you keep checking out the TGF.

wingsdad
February 23rd, 2008, 01:12 AM
Well, all right, spt...glad to help with that, because the DM16C is a fine, fine guitar (as Tacomas tend to be...).

The Koa on my JK28C is truly crazy. Gorgeously wild grain. If I managed to show with my lame-o photos how different lighting changes its appearance, I can only say that photos really don't show the best of it... up close and 'live', it does all sorts of silly stuff with just the slightest of angle changes.

Hang in there...one may turn up. Especailly if you keep checking out the TGF.

spt
February 23rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
...glad to help with that, because the DM16C is a fine, fine guitar.
I hope I didn't give you the impression that I had a DM16C because I don't. Although, being a hog fan, I'd love too...
I've seen curly Koa up-close... I know exactly what you mean. Lovely.

wingsdad
February 23rd, 2008, 11:03 AM
I hope I didn't give you the impression that I had a DM16C because I don't. Although, being a hog fan, I'd love too...
I've seen curly Koa up-close... I know exactly what you mean. Lovely.
:thwap: Shoot...it's Torps that has it with the finish issue...it was late when I got here last nite...don't mind me....

"I musta got lost, somewhere down the line.."