PDA

View Full Version : Howdy from a blues guy in PA

birv2
October 29th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Nice to join up here. I read some of the posts, and people here seem a lot nicer than those at another forum I won't name.

I'm an amateur guitarist with a love of the blues, particularly Chicago style. I have played out at jams a few times and now can contemplate doing it again without throwing up from nerves! I'm also very interested in recording some stuff on the PC but am pretty clueless about how to start.

My gear -- I've gone through several amps and stomp combinations. Had a Blues Driver and got it modded by Robert Keeley. Sold it. Had an Epiphone Valve Jr Head and sold it as well.

My current lineup is as follows:

Squier Affinity Strat with pickups from an 87 Japanese Strat.
Behringer Vampire LX112 amp
Arion Tubulator
Danelectro FAB Overdrive
Behringer OD100 (waiting on delivery)
Dunlop Crybaby

After buying the Vampire I decided to sell most of my other gear, including a Zoom GFX-1, Danelectro Surf & Turf Compressor, Behringer EQ-700, and Behringer DR100 reverb pedal. If you're interested in any of these let me know.

Anyway, looking forward to hanging out, swapping stories and ideas.

Bob (Sweetness)

Robert
October 29th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Welcome Bob, good to have you here!

warren0728
October 29th, 2007, 07:37 AM
welcome birv2....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :pancake

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated

Spudman
October 29th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Hi Bob
Glad you found us.
One thing we do well around here is teaching...we are going to teach you not to sell your gear and how to acquire more of it. Remember, I warned you. :D

warren0728
October 29th, 2007, 08:37 AM
One thing we do well around here is teaching...we are going to teach you not to sell your gear and how to acquire more of it.
oh so true.... :AOK:

ww

duhvoodooman
October 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Welcome to TheFret, Bob. Always happy to have another blues lover on board here. Despite what Spuds says, it's perfectly OK to sell pieces of your equipment....so long as you buy at least two more for every one you sell. Good start you have there on a gear collection, but you are most definitely in need of a humbucker guitar to go with that Strat! We'll be happy to make recommendations! ;) :D

birv2
October 29th, 2007, 09:01 AM
you are most definitely in need of a humbucker guitar to go with that Strat! We'll be happy to make recommendations! ;) :D

I'm such a Fender guy. If I ever got another guitar, I'd most likely go Telecaster. I guess I've never found a humbucker that I liked for blues. It's all moot, since I don't have the $$ at this time.

Bob

Tone2TheBone
October 29th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Welcome Birv. :)

Adrian30
October 29th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Welcome Bob, nice to have you here. You’ll enjoy this forum.

just strum
October 29th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Welcome Bob, I think you will like it here. Spud is right, this place will definitely teach you how to buy or at least make you want to buy. As for selling, well no one seems to talk about that nearly as much as buying.

Good to have you aboard.

sunvalleylaw
October 29th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Welcome Bob! Lots of blues lovers here. Enjoy the party!

M29
October 29th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Hello and Welcome to the fret.net birv2

Hey how do you like that Arion Tubulator?

M29

Guitar Gal
October 29th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Good to have you aboard Bob :R

GG

just strum
October 29th, 2007, 05:21 PM
Hey GG, did your cat decide to become a lead singer?

luvmyshiner
October 29th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Welcome Bob. There's some great folks around here.

t_ross33
October 29th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Welcome birv2! Love that Chicago blues! There's gotta be a 'bucker out there for you somewhere, and I'm sure we can inflict enough GAS to help you find it. Money is, of course, no object where tone is concerned :D

Trev

birv2
October 29th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Hello and Welcome to the fret.net birv2

Hey how do you like that Arion Tubulator?

M29

For the price, I like the Tubulator a lot. However, I went to Indyguitarist and got a mod for it. It's based on the Tubescreamer. I even went out and bought all the parts. Now I just have to figure out how to solder.... Waiting for some help from a more mechanical person than me.

I think I bought the Tubulator for about $10 new!

Bob

pes_laul
October 29th, 2007, 06:23 PM
welcome:) what year is that strat of yours I know I got a squire affinity strat from the late 80's

M29
October 29th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I've really taken a liken to that Tubulator although I wish I could get more lower bass out of it.
Hang in there we have a bunch of guys to help with soldering a stuff like that. I will have to look into that mod as well.:AOK:

M29

birv2
October 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM
welcome:) what year is that strat of yours I know I got a squire affinity strat from the late 80's

No I don't have one of those awesome 80's Squiers. Mine's from China 2001. However, I did swap out the pickups for a set from an 87 Japanese Squier.

They sound good. I've also had mine professionally set up and regularly serviced, so it plays like a dream. I always get good comments on my tone when I play out at jams, so props to Squiers!

I got mine off ebay for $75 (including shipping).

I always look at some of my favorite blues guitarists (Hound Dog Taylor, for instance), and they played whatever they could afford. I believe tone mainly goes from the heart to the fingers to the axe. It helps to have an old Fender tube amp, though!

Bob

Brian Krashpad
October 30th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Welcome Bob!

mrmudcat
October 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM
Welcome!!!:beer:

birv2
October 31st, 2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks to all who made me feel welcome! Seems like a really friendly place here. Not to mention names, but what a difference from other guitar forums.

Hey Mr Mudcat, is that the new Epi cab I see in your photo? How do you like it? I had the head but sold it. I liked it but wanted some more variety. I would have gotten the cab eventually though.

Sweetness (Bob)

Spudman
October 31st, 2007, 04:44 PM
Sure we're friendly...cause every new guy buys the first round. :D :beer:

LagrangeCalvert
November 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM
Sure we're friendly...cause every new guy buys the first round.

It true.....I had to get a co-signer to get everyone there first Sam Adams....

But thats the reason were all happy....were always soused!...and eating pancakes from all our friends!

wow...beer, guitars, and friends (I consider you all my friends...hell when I talk about this forum...I say "one of my friends the other day said XXXXX XXXX XXX.") it doesn't get any better than this......or does it?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?

:beer: :pancake :beer: :pancake :beer: :pancake

LagrangeCalvert
November 1st, 2007, 12:45 AM
another thing....this is the only forum where everyone has enough self respect to argue/laugh/talk and have lexical intercourse on a adult level.....

Not to get all "standing on a soap box" but have a listen please:

The reason people have no morality and get much worse than IRATE on other sites of all kinds is there is no actual human contact, so there are no consequences to the hate they sling around at everyone for no reason since its not tangible or its so disconnected form the real world you can do/say what you want on the INTERWEBS and get away with it....

I really believe its different here because so many people ...A) Have invested there selves in this site and the people here to make worthwhile friends/relationships. B) Are more mature and a Different breed to a certain degree.

Maybe websites should make you invest more of yourself into it (not money either) somehow so its more than a place to bash someone for any good reason..... I see so much hate... just go onto youtube and glance at the comments on videos....

:::::STEPS OFF THE SOAPBOX:::::

On another very positive note...AWESOME to have you hear bob....and since your from a PA.....and Im from Cincinnati....that could only mean one thing (if I was a normal Cincinnatian)

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!

Hope to hear tones from ya man!

birv2
November 1st, 2007, 06:38 AM
Hey Lagrange. I absolutely agree with you about anonymity on the net. And this forum is a nice break from all that. I say that as someone who works in the tech field and is online most of the time.

I will post some clips as soon as I figure out how to record something. I've got audacity, and I hear the Vampire amp is really good for recording. I still need a cable or two, I think.

Oh, and GO IGGLES! (That's EAGLES in Phillytalk).:)

Bob

mrmudcat
November 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks to all who made me feel welcome! Seems like a really friendly place here. Not to mention names, but what a difference from other guitar forums.

Hey Mr Mudcat, is that the new Epi cab I see in your photo? How do you like it? I had the head but sold it. I liked it but wanted some more variety. I would have gotten the cab eventually though.

Sweetness (Bob)

I love it !!.It is what it is.Simple but sweet!(we have lots of amps all tube we use it for noodling sessions:AOK: ) The cab is good but a 75 watt speaker is overkill. Might try a greenback in it.Ive also got a cab with 1x12 reverend 1250 alltone speaker.

eichaan
November 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Hi Bob!

I am also a blues dabbler/hobbyist in NE PA (Wilkes-Barre). Also an Eagles fan. So double welcome!

oldguy
November 11th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Welcome to Fret.Net, don't sell yer gear yet, buy more first, you bet!!:messedup:

birv2
November 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Thanks, guys. Glad to be here. I do have some gear to sell, so I might be posting it here in a bit.

Bob

YerDugliness
November 11th, 2007, 08:46 PM
It's all moot, since I don't have the $$ at this time.

Bob

Welcome, Bob.

And as for the GASfest on this forum, don't worry--most of us don't have the $$ either, but it doesn't seem to stop us. This forum has a way with that.....

Anyway, good to see another blues lover on the forum, looking forward to hearing those stories, play on!

Dugly :cool:

Justaguyin_nc
November 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Bob, the worse case scenerio... standing in a soup line with your new Guitar strapped to your back.. Just think of how many people you can bring Joy to that afternoon at the mission!!

Let the G.A.S. continue.. and welcome!!