PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best blues player who ever lived?

Robert
October 29th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Very subjective question of course... :)

My #1 pick would be Albert King.

duhvoodooman
October 29th, 2007, 10:34 AM
A very subjective question, indeed, but you know who my favorite is:

SRV!!!

Robert
October 29th, 2007, 10:38 AM
You mean Scientific Remote Viewing (http://www.farsight.org/SRV/whatis.html) ?

Tone2TheBone
October 29th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Blues Player Hubert Sumlin. Blues singer Robert Johnson.

duhvoodooman
October 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Uh, no, but that is some impressive quasi-scientific mumbo-jumbo on that linked page! :whatever:

SuperSwede
October 29th, 2007, 10:50 AM
+1 on Hubert Sumlin.. I love the stuff he did with Howlin Wolf!

R_of_G
October 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Blind Willie Johnson. His "Dark Was the Night, Cold Was the Ground" is, in my opinion, the most hauntingly beautiful piece of music ever recorded.

LagrangeCalvert
October 29th, 2007, 11:53 AM

SRV does NOT involve an out-of-body experience.

SRV does NOT use hypnosis.

SRV does NOT involve an altered state of consciousness.

SRV is NOT channeling.

LOL....he just destroys on the guitar using baddassery!

duhvoodooman
October 29th, 2007, 12:21 PM
LOL....he just destroys on the guitar using baddassery!
Amen, bruddah. Actually, taken purely as a blues player, I'd definitely rank him way up there; top 5 all time, at least. But when you add his other playing abilities--flat out rock'n'roll like The House Is Rockin; jazz stylings a la Riviera Paradise or Chitlins Con Carne; the uncanny ability to channel Jimi Hendrix (geez, I guess SRV does involve channeling! ;))--then he goes to the head of the class. :Dude: IMO/YMMV!!

pes_laul
October 29th, 2007, 07:51 PM
My pick is stevie ray vaughan or eric clapton

t_ross33
October 29th, 2007, 09:05 PM

"Blues Boy" King

I think he was the first musician I recognized as a "blues" player.

SRV and those he was influenced by, like Albert King, came later. As did a deeper appreciation of blues-rock guitarists such as Clapton and Hendrix.

But when I hear BB, I immediately think: BLUES :AOK:

navvid
October 29th, 2007, 09:18 PM
if you're talkin strictly blues, SRV without a doubt.

On the same note, I think the single most definitive blues song was possibly Son House's Death Letter.

Jimi75
October 30th, 2007, 02:18 AM
When I started listening to the blues and learning the history of the blues there was a flood of players I was all of a sudden confronted with, starting from SRV and ending with delta players like Skip James. All the names you hear so often were and are great players without a doubt.

When the question is posed who is the greatest player I have to distinguish between blues influenced players, modern blues players, traditional players and maybe I have even to distinguish between the styles and techniques like slide, fingerpicking, open tuning etc.

If I pick one player out of that huge blues melting pot then it is a player who embodies the largest part of all of the above mentioned points and all of that that makes the blues the blues or at least makes me feel blue.

--> ALBERT KING <--
:AOK:

mrmudcat
October 30th, 2007, 05:38 AM
LEAD ENUFF SAID!!!:beer:
Lets not forget Willie Dixon.
Buddy Guy
R.l Burnside

I could go on and still never completly come to the conclusion of who is or was the best.:D

tunghaichuan
October 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM
R.l Burnside

I saw him twice, 20 years ago in a craphole bar in Wichita, Kansas. He killed. I skipped a couple of classes and went with one of my college professors, who was a killer Mississippi Delta-style player.

tung

tunghaichuan
October 30th, 2007, 11:09 AM
While I believe there is no "best," my two favorite players are Muddy Waters and Johnny Winter. When they recorded and played together, well, it just doesn't get any better than that for me.

tung

navvid
October 30th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Too bad Buckethead doesn't play the blues, huh tung?

Big_Rob
October 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM
T-Bone Walker, The FATHER of the electric blues~!~!~

chordshredder
October 30th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Ry Cooder

R_of_G
October 31st, 2007, 05:55 AM
Ry Cooder

+1 for Ry Cooder. If you like Cooder, check out Bill Frisell's "Good Dog, Happy Man" album for some great playing by Ry, Frisell, and Greg Leisz.

mrmudcat
October 31st, 2007, 06:59 AM
+++++11111 for RY:Dude:

Bloozcat
October 31st, 2007, 09:38 AM
Yes, to all the above.

The best blues players who ever lived....:AOK:

It's just too hard to pick one.

And let me add Freddie King to round out the "three kings"...

Steffe1973
July 14th, 2008, 07:01 AM
SRV or the wonderchild de luxe,Mr Joe Bonamassa.

Strong contenders is of course Eric Clapton, Greg Koch
and the feel of feels with attitude Jonny Lang

Steffe

ZMAN
July 14th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Wow this is an old thread, I am surprised I never saw it.
Of all the guitar Blues players I would say Buddy Guy is the best all around player. He can play down and dirty Delta, of course Chicago and he can get really spacey and electronic some times.
And I hate to say it but SRV copied Albert King almost note for note on some of his songs. I am a big fan of Stevie and his Texas style of blues, he would come in as a tie for second with Albert King in my ratings. Then Eric Clapton.
Remember the original question was "Best blues Player" .

dws
July 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Pure blues: B.B. King

Blues-based, et al: Clapton

scgmhawk
July 14th, 2008, 12:31 PM
My faves would be SRV and BB. The amazing thing about BB King is you only have to hear him play 1 note to know it's him.

Robert
July 14th, 2008, 12:45 PM
My faves would be SRV and BB. The amazing thing about BB King is you only have to hear him play 1 note to know it's him.

Same goes for Mr. Albert King.

Brian Krashpad
July 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Robert Johnson, or the Devil wouldn't've took him.

Just sayin.

Blaze
July 15th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Robert Johnson
Skip James
John Lee Hooker
Johnny Winter
Robben Ford

Blazes:dude:

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2008, 08:40 AM
I don't think I could pick a "best". Maybe a favorite. But even that would change.

I suppose it would be among:

B.B.
SRV
Buddy Guy

And (off topic now, these are not best of all time at this point for sure) though they are just pups, I really enjoy Bonamassa and Mayer. Mayer's chord voicings and changes are really interesting to me, and in my opinion, are developing his own sound to break him out of SRV clone status.

Jimi75
July 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM
I know it sounds KLISCHEE, but to me it is:

Robert Johnson

BUT on the same level I see Albert King.

:bravo:

ZMAN
July 15th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Robert BTW: I recently picked up one of my favourite Albert King CDs. I had in in Vinyl from the 70s and I recently found it on CD. Live wire Blues power.
He does Watermelon Man on it and several other live tunes. Really great.
Another must have is his In session with SRV. I was done at CHCH TV. In Hamilton, Ontario. There is a Tape of it also but I have not found it yet.That is another great CD where there are cuts of him and Stevie talking as they are jamming.
One of the wackiest I have is Called "The King Does the King's thing" where he does nothing but Elvis Presley songs. Of course in his style.
I must say that he is probably the reason I play Blues guitar and is probably my favourite player, but Buddy Guy has a broader playing skill and that is why he gets my vote.

Robert
July 15th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Zman, kewl - I'd love to hear that Live Wire Blues album. I have In Session - great stuff.

ZMAN
July 15th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Here is a little slice of him doing Watermelon Man. also Caddilac Assembly line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzSHIE5la1g
I like this one because it show is fingering on his classic licks.
There must be some way we can swap some audio files. I have it on my ipod. I am just not sure best how to do it. I could always burn you a copy and send it.
Brian

dabacosm
July 15th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I find this discussion fascinating actually--it seems so simple and inocuous but I think to ask who's the "best" blues player that ever lived is to completely miss the point of blues music entirely. I don't think it's about talent, technique or proficiency. For me, it's (hands down) about totality of the expressive nature of the music. I have lived long enough to see so many great unknowns in my life, each with their own unique take that I find the variety a breath of fresh air. Everyone who has been named are no doubt wonderful players, but they are just tiny fraction of what's out there. I'll bet some of you are really quite awesome players yourself. :bravo:

Robert
July 15th, 2008, 09:27 AM
dabacosm - you are of course right - there is no "best" blues player. The topic is just food for thought and a way to force some names to come up. I certainly don't look at any music or player as "the best". No, the idea is just to create a vehicle for driving the discussion, if that makes sense.

Now, go and introduce yerself in the Fret Players forum! :)

indianjjy
July 15th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Check out Josh White...

dabacosm
July 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Hey Robert--I totally understand that, which is why I tossed some food for thought out there. What interests me is what is left uncontested in the thought of our musical journeys. As you can imagine, I've been fighting stereotypes throughout my career and I think we all have been on some level fighting to get our voices heard. I saw this as an opportunity to see what you all thought. I didn't mean to offend or disprupt. So sorry if it came across that way. ;)

You're right--I must introduce myself to the gang. Where does one usually post those here?

Thanks for all you do!!

Rock on!!

Sue

Robert
July 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM
dabacosm - no problemo here! :)

You can post anywhere and everywhere - make yerself at home! :D

Oh, I missed one BIG name in blues guitar...
Mr

Jimi

Hendrix!

Just listen to Red House. Jimi was a fantastic blues player in my opinion.

dabacosm
July 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
VERY FUNNY!!! LOL!!! Yeah that's a big one we'd better not forget!!!!!!!!:dude:

Ok. . .If I must say who I like. . .(outside of Hendrix) How about Trower?! Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :AOK:

Rocket
July 15th, 2008, 11:18 AM
There are SO many sub-genres of "Blues" and many bleed over into each other, (and some that people consider "Blues" are not Blues at all,) and much as I disagree with pigeonholing artists, I'll toss Steve Thorpe & Johnny Hiland into the mix...

Katastrophe
July 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM
It's difficult for me to come up with a favorite. Buddy Guy, BB King, SRV, Jimmie Vaughan, John Lee Hooker, and Jimi all rank up there with me.

sunvalleylaw
July 15th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Ok, David Gilmour then, if we are going wider. I like his blues style better than Claptons anyway. :-)

street music
July 15th, 2008, 05:02 PM
For pure blues, BB KING would be my pick but like others have stated many use blues or play blues styles into rock or county. Many great ones already named.

marnold
July 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM
It must be me. Everybody who hears me play breaks down crying.

ShortBuSX
July 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Id say Otis Rush is my absolute favorite blues guitarist, played lefty strung righty...just amazing!

Id say John Lee Hooker for his simplicity and that raw-ness.

And then Freddie King cause he was an all around great bluesman, its hard to pigeon hole him into one blues class/style.

And you just gotta love Joe Bonamassa, like SRV before him.

Those are my picks.

sumitomo
July 17th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Roach Mulligan no doubt about it that old silvertone he played with the soapbars in it tone for days and his singing man,no one comes close.He died in a fire it is said he probably fell asleep with a cig (they will kill ya one way or another)and his old silvertone made it,it was in the closet just a little bubbling on the paint surface from the heat.Sumi:D

ShortBuSX
July 17th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Kinda sad how nobody ever mentions/considers Chuck Berry...although maybe not "the best", he sure did alot for both blues and rock n roll.

Brian Krashpad
July 20th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Kinda sad how nobody ever mentions/considers Chuck Berry...although maybe not "the best", he sure did alot for both blues and rock n roll.

Fwiw, Chuck is always on my list of personal faves.

sunvalleylaw
July 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Chuck to me, along with Buddy, is the father of much of the music I love. I just did not consider him for being a blues player though. I consider him a bridge to rock.

Robert
July 20th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Chuck was king at rock'n roll playing, but he wasn't really a blues player, was he?

player
July 20th, 2008, 11:11 PM
In short there really are No ''bests'' but there are plenty of favorites.
way too many to even try to list but like the names that came up. :D
Yes Robert Chuck Berry was a Bluesman pre Rock n Roll fame.around the time I moved here A friend had some of his material which is getting tough to find.

Kazz
July 21st, 2008, 04:56 AM
Then - Robert Johnson who started my love of the blues

Now - Keb Mo that guy can make a guitar cry.

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM
Roach Mulligan no doubt about it that old silvertone he played with the soapbars in it tone for days and his singing man,no one comes close.He died in a fire it is said he probably fell asleep with a cig (they will kill ya one way or another)and his old silvertone made it,it was in the closet just a little bubbling on the paint surface from the heat.Sumi:D
You've caught my interest sumi.

I've heard everyone else mentioned, but haven't even heard of Roach Mulligan.

It's hard to find info on him. Gerry Mulligan (excellent baraitone sax player) & Max Roach (killer jazz drummer) keep popping up.

I even did a search that wouldn't show pages with Gerry or Max on them.

Give us more sumi!

mechanic
July 21st, 2008, 06:50 AM
Blind boy Fuller perhaps?
I'm also pretty partial to Albert Collins stuff.

ShortBuSX
July 21st, 2008, 06:57 AM
Chuck was king at rock'n roll playing, but he wasn't really a blues player, was he?

Although Jimi Hendrix put out ONE blues album, Chuck was more of a bluesman.
And if you look/listen closer, even Chucks rockin hits were really blues.
No Particular Place To Go?
Johnny B Goode?

I was actually listening to this video when Id originally suggested Chuck...granted hes not settin the fretboard on fire...but that is damn good blues none the less.(maybe its the vocal?)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhkKaj5syLw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhkKaj5syLw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Robert
July 21st, 2008, 07:28 AM
No Particular Place To Go?
Johnny B Goode?

Chuck was great, but those aren't blues songs in my ears.

That video was cool. Chuck definitely had blues close to his heart.

You can still hear how Chuck Berry does that typical rockn'roll rhythmic stuff, which was his signature thing, I think.

Spudman
July 21st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Luther Allison always captured me. He has since left us but I discovered him early in my career and was captivated by his fiery spirit. It's like he was preaching about how bad things can get but brazenly defying being taken down the deep dark hole.

Here he talks a little about his history and then plays some music.
zvMY8Z7uG7Y

sumitomo
July 21st, 2008, 10:29 AM
You've caught my interest sumi.

I've heard everyone else mentioned, but haven't even heard of Roach Mulligan.

It's hard to find info on him. Gerry Mulligan (excellent baraitone sax player) & Max Roach (killer jazz drummer) keep popping up.

I even did a search that wouldn't show pages with Gerry or Max on them.

Give us more sumi!

All right then you see a friend of mine a long time had this old silvertone guitar,blistered paint and we were at a gig party and someone was asking him about his old silvertone and how it got in that condition,so out of my mouth came that Roach Mulligan story and it has stuck ever since and now you guys cam use it! truth.Sumi:D:AOK:

tot_Ou_tard
July 21st, 2008, 04:47 PM
All right then you see a friend of mine a long time had this old silvertone guitar,blistered paint and we were at a gig party and someone was asking him about his old silvertone and how it got in that condition,so out of my mouth came that Roach Mulligan story and it has stuck ever since and now you guys cam use it! truth.Sumi:D:AOK:
I will. In fact, I'll join the Roach Mulligan Fan Club.

Got any t-shirts ;).

TS808
July 21st, 2008, 04:57 PM
That is a subjective question...so I'll answer by saying who my favorite is:

BB King. He can produce the sweetest, most soulful sounds with just a few notes, but when he does get into a jam mode, he can play as well. I've seen SRV (1987) live, Buddy Guy (1995) live and Joe Bonamassa (2007) live, and although those guys kick(ed) arse, BB is still my favorite.