PDA

View Full Version : How do you break in a new speaker?

Robert
October 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
How do you guys break in your new speakers? Crank the amp and play for a few days non-stop? :p

Tone2TheBone
October 30th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Play some loud music through it for 12 hours.

250Keith
October 30th, 2007, 02:30 PM
if you can hookup a FM radio to it or a cd player turn it up loud cover the speaker with blankets and put in the closet for how ever long it takes to sound different, five to ten hours.

Danse
October 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM
The best way is to play a sine wave of the resonance frequency of the speaker. It should be loud but not too much to destroy the speaker.
The resonance frequency of the Wizzard 8 ohm is 89Hz, 16 ohm 100Hz.

If you can't produce the sine wave you could play music through it, but make sure you have bass to move the driver. The goal of breaking in a driver is to loose up the suspention. The parrameters of the driver will change once the suspention is loosened up and then will be pretty well stay stable.

Recommend a solid state amp, not tube, for breaking in.

The time will depend on the driver, but about 8 hours is good.

Danse
October 30th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Just a bit more info.

Breaking in a speaker is usually used to determine the true driver parameters.
Once you have the true paramater, you are able to calculate the volume of the box required for the driver.

In your case you have placed them in an cabinet, you will find a difference in sound until they are fully broken in.

Tim
October 30th, 2007, 08:09 PM
I have heard of all the below ways of breaking in a new speaker. But I also read that it does not do anything to the speaker to play loud rock and roll through it. Everyone has their perks and reasons just like favorite guitars and strings.

Plank_Spanker
November 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Play it often and with gusto..................:D

Robert
November 4th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Who is gusto...? :D

Algonquin
November 4th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Who is gusto...? :D

I think he's the Italian Gent down at my local butcher shop.

How the heck does Plank know him? :confused:

snarph
November 4th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Kiss it behind the ear and............................................... ...........................

M29
November 4th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I ain't kissin that thing I might get a shock:messedup:

M29

Plank_Spanker
November 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I think he's the Italian Gent down at my local butcher shop.

How the heck does Plank know him? :confused:

I'll never tell.......................:D

just strum
November 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I remember one of the Washies bought a AD30VT and he told me that the store "burned in" the amp. Never knew what it meant until now and judging by some of the recent posts, maybe I still don't.:messedup:

Plank_Spanker
November 4th, 2007, 03:20 PM
When I first played my Germino, I thought that the sound was a little "tight". A fellow Germino owner warned me about this and told me to just play it a while and it will loosen up. It did, and it really didn't take that long..............................thanks to my old friend Gusto...............:D

Adrian30
November 4th, 2007, 05:32 PM
I'm starting to like this Gusto guy.

Katastrophe
November 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'm starting to like this Gusto guy.

Tell him the next time you see him that he owes me $50.00/:messedup:

And Robert, gusto = enthusiasm.:AOK: Play the snot outta those speakers and they'll be fine. Please post clips. My keyboard doesn't work right without the requisite amount of drool.:drool:

Robert
November 4th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Kat, where have you been - I've posted clips already! Hint: Home Recording / Member Clips...

I'll be playing lots in the near future with the new 18 watter and this cab. Who knows, maybe Gusto will show up? I'll buy him a beer and tell him about those fifty bucks. :beer: