PDA

View Full Version : Audigy 2 Z Platinum External BreakOut box

Justaguyin_nc
March 5th, 2006, 01:38 PM
Although I would not recommend the Audigy for someone looking for a "real" music studio card whatever that may be, the setup is pretty sweet if you still like playing your 3D surround sound games on your computer as I do... I was able to stumble across a deal on the Audigy with an older looking external breakout box which is actually the same thing but just an older design. This card installs into two PCI slots in your computer.. basiclly you shut off your computer.. remove the case.. remove one screw and take out your old sound card (unless yours is built in.. then just turn it off in your BIOS setup) install the two cards into their slots, connect a ribbon cable from the smaller daughter board to the main sound card, connect your cd audio to the sound card and connect up your speakers in the back.. Then connect this HUGE jumper cable "suppied" (it's about the size of your monitor cable and well insulated) to your Audigy breakout box. You now have access to a pre-amp 1/4 jack, Digital inputs, Headphone 1/4 with volume control, SPIDF, Optical, Midi in/out and firewire right on your desktop... or in my case sitting on top of the computer along side my desktop... The software that comes with it has guitar and vocal plugins to enhance the sound quite nicely along with jukebox and recording software (nothing special but works) and the ease of installing everything makes it a winner in my book "if" you also play games.

My Opinion.. I don't know quality that well.. I know this card can record my guitar and vocals fine and limits itself to 48000 sampling rate which to nowaday home recording studios is under rated and you suppose to be getting 96k or the more expensive 192k samplers to get studio quality performance... I don't know whats right or wrong... I do know CD quality is 44.1k and 48000 is above it.. I know what I record sounds pretty much what I put in it without much if any hiss and noise in the background.. I know the sound quality did not change much to my ears from a Soundblaster Live card.
I know it does not slow my computer in any way and works well in the online games I still play such as America's Army, Rogue Spear etc. With all the EAX effects etc etc

Bottom line... it uses E-MU chips (Creative labs owns E-MU) which is actual music studio sound cards..abit older style.. and still has the EAX surround sound feature which regular studio cards do not have.. I found a deal on a $200 setup which allows me instant access for guitar input and headphones right on my desktop... If you can change a PCI card and install software.. find the older version (looks only) online and get a half price or better deal and go for it... makes life easier and as a home player not actually making a living from playing I am sure it is more then enough to keep me happy...
The thumb nail picture shows the breakout box as a slotted feature built into your case.. this is another option..I have the external version. They still sell new at $200.00 http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=79773&WT.mc_n=66&WT.mc_t=U&cm_ven=COMPARISON%20SHOPPING&cm_cat=DEALTIME&cm_pla=DATAFEED-%3EPRODUCTS&cm_ite=1%20PRODUCT&cm_keycode=66